Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Asuka should have never lost her streak and should have faced an undefeated Ronda in the main event at WM35. It would have been a better story and better match than what we got. Now the first women's WM main event is going to go down in history as a mediocre match.

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
My god, are people ever going to stop beating this particular dead horse? Face it Asuka hasn't had a decent feud on the main roster and it's clear the WWE doesn't trust her to be in the major feuds. Besides, what the hell were they going to with her and Rousey to fill TV for three months?

It wasn't a mistake ending her streak because they value Charlotte more than her. It wasn't a mistake to not do her vs Rousey at WrestleMania because it would have been boring TV and nobody would have cared because the majority of the vocal fanbase were clamouring for Becky to be in that spot. The quality of the match is irrelevant and it's safe to argue that there is no proof that Suka would have made that match any better than it was. That's without mentioning that there have been clunkers of main events before and there will be more in the future. The only thing that hindered the main event of being the moment it deserved to be was that the finish was bad.

·
The Babyface of WF
12,582 Posts
First off that sounds like shade being thrown at Becky when you said the first ever women's main event was mediocre, Just accept that Becky has that accolade now.

As for Asuka they should have had a short feud before Ronda left I think Asuka would have obviously been used to put her over but it would have been excellent for sure.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Asuka could easily have lost steam and be labelled super Askua if shes kept on being undefeated for that long.

It would definately not be a better story. WWE blew it, but there was so much story to tell between Becky, Charlotte and Rhonda. They all had issues with each other, stemming all they way back to the attack on raw.

It would probably be a better match. But the big WM matches have always been about the spectacle rather than ring work.
Just look at some of the biggest matches in WM history. Not many 4-5 star matches on that list.

·
Let's talk about six, baby.
8,440 Posts
That would have flopped so hard. Asuka isn't nearly over enough to main event Wrestlemania nor is she capable of effectively hyping a match. No, awful idea. The streak had went on long enough. Summerslam that year was the absolute latest time it could've been dragged out to, and even that would be pushing it.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Ronda was too high profile to put in a feud against Asuka. That and let's be honest, Asuka wasn't a top card wrestler even with the SD title, if anything, they made her "run in the background" to Becky and Charlotte. I mean I'm not saying it wouldn't work, Asuka don't have much mic skills, and Ronda was only good on the mic when she's legit pissed, so really could have done all the talking with their in-ring skills instead.

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
That would have flopped so hard. Asuka isn't nearly over enough to main event Wrestlemania nor is she capable of effectively hyping a match. No, awful idea. The streak had went on long enough. Summerslam that year was the absolute latest time it could've been dragged out to, and even that would be pushing it.
I'm confused, aren't you like a big Asuka mark?

I agree she has never been over enough to main event Mania, but neither was Charlotte. As a mark you shouldn't give a shit how over she is, it's about you own personal enjoyment.

I do agree that having Asuka go undefeated for 4 years would have been ridiculous, and having 2 women on the roster unable to take losses for a full year would have buried the entire division, so it would not have been a good idea. Although I certainly wouldn't mind if Bryan and Becky buried their divisions even if they were ice cold, it's all about my own personal enjoyment. Surprised you don't think that way about Asuka.

In my opinion, not even as a Becky mark, but just looking at it objectively. They probably should have done Ronda vs. Becky one on one, with Becky going over by tap out. The cop out finish they did was dumb, and adding Charlotte to the match made the story suck and took all the hype out.

·
Custom User Title
6,555 Posts
Want to know why Asuka lost steam after winning the title? Because WWE took her off of TV for long periods of time. And when she came back after beating Becky at the Royal Rumble, she lost immediately to Mandy Rose. Via typical stupid babyface shenanigans.

She was super over after winning the title, but WWE failed to capitalize on it. And it resulted in her losing steam. And then giving Charlotte a title win so she would have a prop for a main event she shouldn't have even been in was also insanely stupid.

Asuka losing momentum had nothing to do with her. It had everything to do with WWE not putting forth any effort at all into building her up.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
The submission and hugging Charlotte after the match shouldn't happen at WM34, it was instant kill for Asuka and potential to increase her strength.

The match wasn't main event, and book Asuka as schmuck isn't bad option. Do fluke pin(roll-up) to win the match for Charlotte wouldn't hurt both competitor. After the match, Asuka attack Charlotte or refuse her handshake or hugging attempt and leave the ring just to give the glimpse that Asuka not admit her defeated. If they do this scenario, she wouldn't book like a geek and the potential to face Ronda can be happen despite she already lost her streak because she still have her pride.

·
Premium Member
5,302 Posts
I'm confused, aren't you like a big Asuka mark?

I agree she has never been over enough to main event Mania, but neither was Charlotte. As a mark you shouldn't give a shit how over she is, it's about you own personal enjoyment.

I do agree that having Asuka go undefeated for 4 years would have been ridiculous, and having 2 women on the roster unable to take losses for a full year would have buried the entire division, so it would not have been a good idea. Although I certainly wouldn't mind if Bryan and Becky buried their divisions even if they were ice cold, it's all about my own personal enjoyment. Surprised you don't think that way about Asuka.

In my opinion, not even as a Becky mark, but just looking at it objectively. They probably should have done Ronda vs. Becky one on one, with Becky going over by tap out. The cop out finish they did was dumb, and adding Charlotte to the match made the story suck and took all the hype out.
You know why no one likes marks? Because they tend to just clamour for their favorites to get all the big spots with little or hypocritical justification when we all the know the real reason is purely because of the fact the mark likes them. Fuck's sake someone's actually being rational and temperate with his expectations and some other guy goes "aren't you a mark? you shouldn't care what other fans think".

To be clear, wanting your favorite to win isn't my issue. Its when people bring out ridiculous and hypocritical arguments like ratings, casuals leaving, merchandise sales, youtube videos, unrealistic or whatever to justify why they should be pushing a certain wrestler that marks always do with their own favorite wrestler that annoy me.

·
Used to be a Dreamer, Dreamin' of a Fire
6,416 Posts
:draper2

OP is 100 and 10 percent correct.

Asuka, presented as creatively as she should have been - is a megastar and with Rousey, would've had a match worth rewatching

The 1st women's main event really was mediocre, and that's coming from someone who likes everyone involved

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
That would've been good but I still think the real issue was not doing Becky vs Ronda and Asuka vs Charlotte. The main event never needed to be a triple threat and it certainly didn't need to have both belts be on the line.

·
Registered
6,693 Posts
Ronda vs Asuka would have been interesting especially with the Streak vs Streak selling point to it, but not as the main event of Wrestlemania.

Asuka can barely speak a word of English, I don't know why so many of you want to see her pushed so hard. Becky isn't really all that either, but she's more over and with a better character and mic skills to boot.

·
THE MAN has come around to collect her debts.
10,129 Posts
It wouldn't have main-evented even if they did go with that story. The women main-evented because of Rousey's mainstream name value and because of Becky's overness in being the hottest thing in the company. 50/50 input.

Rousey vs Asuka and Rousey vs Charlotte wasn't enough because neither Asuka or Charlotte would have gotten as over as Becky did and there would be nothing to justify them going on last. The spot would have been given to Rollins/Lesnar or Kofi/Bryan. Asuka can't even speak English so what were they supposed to do for 3 months? Continuously attack each other and ruin the intrigue of the actual match?

·
This is my show now
1,358 Posts
Her streak wasn't that long because most of it was in NXT which a majority of the fanbase don't watch. On the MR before she lost her streak it was after 5.5 months. But I agree that it would have been impossible to drag her streak out to WM since the SDL roster wasn't that deep. But her streak should have ended with her dropping the title.

·
Registered
8,589 Posts
They fucked up Becky vs. Ronda. Something unfuckuppable but fuck it up they did. Asuka vs. Ronda would've been even worse.

And going with the streak for that long would have presented its own problems. This isn't NXT. Everything is overexposed and watered down to death. Asuka actually got more over after the streak ended.

If NXT was booking it it might have worked, but not Vince.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts