Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I feel like the WWE keep trying so hard to push Henry, and make him this feared powerful monster, when quite frankly, I don't think many people care.

There have been some successful monster pushes, like Brock Lesnar, Umaga, even The Great Khali etc. But they keep trying with Henry, and because he's been in the business so long, he's been humiliated and beaten several times. I think these kind of pushes only work for virtual newcomers, not people we've seen the weak points of.

·
Banned
13 Posts
This is why I think the Henry push is a joke,Sure he looks dominate but some people just cannot take him seriously because he's already lost to many other mid carders and has been a laughing stock for a long time in the WWE,His face turn ruined him basically

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
I feel like the WWE keep trying so hard to push Henry, and make him this feared powerful monster, when quite frankly, I don't think many people care.

There have been some successful monster pushes, like Brock Lesnar, Umaga, even The Great Khali etc. But they keep trying with Henry, and because he's been in the business so long, he's been humiliated and beaten several times. I think these kind of pushes only work for virtual newcomers, not people we've seen the weak points of.
But see, that's the thing that sets Henry apart from typical monsters. The realization of having a mediocre career for 15 years or in Edge's words being the "World's Strongest Failure", gave him renewed spark, he became more vicious, focus, and ambition to become World Champion.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The thing that made him into this angry monster just ruined it before it stared, well it did for me. Big Show just knocking out Henry as soon as the match started.

·
Registered
4,887 Posts
This is why I think the Henry push is a joke,Sure he looks dominate but some people just cannot take him seriously because he's already lost to many other mid carders and has been a laughing stock for a long time in the WWE,His face turn ruined him basically
Still, in the past five months he's destroyed Big Show, Kane, Vladimir Kozlov, Sheamus, and Randy Orton. From when he was drafted to SmackDown and cut that promo where he cried about losing weight, that was the turning point for a new, badass Mark Henry. He's got his charactean nailed down, his promos are effective and his trash talking is awesome. If you can't appreciate him, fine. Don't watch main-events then.

·
The human torch was denied a bank loan.
7,576 Posts
I understand where you're coming from, but the same thing happened to Bradshaw/JBL. He went from a midcarder for life to JBL, an immediate main eventer. It can be done via good booking and performances. Henry has upped his ring work, but mostly his intensity and promos. His promo on RAW with JR was really, really good. I don't see how it's hard to believe he can actually dominate like this, he's a beast.

·
Anti-Hero
9,798 Posts
I think it would be a good idea to break 'kayfabe' and admit he's been taking dives all these years. "I coulda been champion for the last 15 years but the man kept me down and I had to feed my kids," kinda thing.

Or maybe you don't have to, how many title shots has Henry ever had? Maybe he could have been champ if given the opportunity?

Just some passing thoughts.

·
Asuka
96,244 Posts
I can "buy" into the push just fine. If anything, the part that's not believable was him losing for 15 years. If they were trying to be realistic, he'd have been a top guy years ago. That's the thing about big guys, no matter how long you job them out.....they're big. Nobody had any problem believing Kane as world champion last year, same thing. Now from the aspect of him getting a reign, it was shit, but not the believability aspect.

·
Banned
18,557 Posts
He beat The Rock.

He took out Batista for 5 months.

He took out The Undertaker for 5 months.

He pinned WWE Champion Randy Orton clean in 2009.

He pinned The Big Show clean in record time.

He took Kane out of action.

Sheamus wasn't able to beat him.

He pinned Randy Orton clean again to win the World Heavyweight Title.
Mark Henry, like any other wrestlers has had his creative ups and downs throughout his career, but the benefit of being a big guy is you can be taken seriously again in the blink of an eye once you turn heel. Just take a look at The Big Show and Kane. Its believable and it works.

- Vic

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Henry as a heel is believable, especially for me. I started watching wrestling in 2006, which is when mark got his first super monster push. I believed he was a threat. When he was a face was when I stopped watching wwe. I got back into wwe in 2011 and saw him as a face for a bit, but mainly as a heel, so I definitely find him believable. I buy him, and he is very over.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
I don't agree with you, i think the wwe did a great job with him. After his pathetic face run (teaming with mvp and bourne), i really thought he was finished. Now i'm quite happy to see him dominating the roster. It's quite obvious they are building sheamus ultrastrong to go to war with him after HiaC but i'm enjoying smackdown.

·
8,590 Posts
damn, don't see how it's not buyable. this is not a kane situation here. henry has broken through as a legit main eventer. it's believable because the frustration from the accumulation of 15 years of not being taken seriously led him to become like this.

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
I wouldn't have bought it if you pitched it to me, but they've handled him well and made him look like a legitimate monster who's fed up of being underutilized and overlooked. I am actually hoping he doesn't drop right back to Orton at HIAC.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts