Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is something I was thinking and its not totally related to Raw after the EC so I dont think it belongs in that thread. (Apologies if its already been said but I can't find a thread about it)

Would Sting v Undertaker @ Mania really be that good? Lets think about it. One one side we have Taker with his winning streak, one of the most loyal servants to the WWE of all time. The we have Sting, a man who had previously stated many times he would never work for the company.

So lets just say that a deal is done to have Sting face Taker at Mania. While it might be one of those Icon v Icon moments, wouldnt it be the most predictable match of all time? I mean there is no way that Vince would ever allow Sting to end the streak. He has never been part of the WWE so he would never be given privilege of ending the record. He is also not a young up and comer who could use this victory to springboard his career so either way you look at it, Taker would always be nailed on to win the match.

I know some people will think that this could be said about any match up as Taker will probably never lose his streak but at least if he's facing someone like Cena or HHH, there might be a 5% or 10% chance of this happening. This is why I think if it does turn out to be Sting v Taker, its going to be the most predictable ME @ Mania in history.

Thoughts anyone?

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
It depends on how WWE builds Sting up. If they build him up to be just another wrestling legend, then he will probably lose. If they build his legacy to rival The Undertaker's legacy and really make him seem like a big deal, then he could end Undertaker's streak.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Both guys can still carry big matches. Even though they're both over the hill, the sheer hype and each man's ability to pull a good match out of nearly anybody would mean it would be a great match. But as the above poster said, it all depends on how he's booked.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
But you think that you could honestly see a WCW legend stroll up to to WWE's biggest show of the year and finish the streak of one of the biggest stars the company has ever had?

·
Registered
4,677 Posts
Undertaker vs Shawn Michaels were both predictable too, but that didn't affect the match. Anyone who thought Shawn Michaels was going to win either time was an idiot.

I think Undertaker vs Sting would work.

·
The Sundance Kid
18,632 Posts
Obviously Sting would not end the Taker's streak so that's not even worth discussing.

I don't think Sting Vs Undertaker would be a great move this year because there isn't enough time to build Sting up for people who didnt watch WCW 10 years ago. It'd be a short, rushed feud and would only really be meaningful to the IWC IMO. If Sting is going to face Undertaker at WM do it next year, start the build-up around the Royal Rumble, and then Taker can go out 20-0 over the biggest non-WWE star in wrestling history.

·
IF YA SMEEELLLL
161 Posts
it's the same as having a retirement match at WM. We always know who's going to win. Still, it'll be a great match.

·
Registered
96 Posts
the anticipation of the match is more about the rivalry and promo then the outcome of the match, i mean how often do we get a dark vs mysterious type anymore and kane vs undertaker has ben played out

its always been a promo people enjoyed i for one aswell. i mean if sting was coming to challenge orton or cena would people be half as excited?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Have Taker put his career on the line. A poster above said retirement matches at Wrestlemania are predictable. Have Taker put his career on the line every year, that should add some intrigue to the match.

·
8,232 Posts
The atmosphere, plain and simple. It would be a once in a lifetime unique icon vs icon match.

There have been plenty of "dream" matches, but none of them involved the two most ominous legends like Taker and Sting.

The match has just been talked about for so many years, and with how weak Mania's card is looking, it's not hard to see why so many are hoping for this match to happen.

Hell, I'd kill for it, especially since I'm going to be at Mania.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts