Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There were quite a few PPV matches that featured a champion but for some reason the match was non-title. Examples include:
  • Roddy Piper VS Greg Valentine(c) Dog Collar Match at Starrcade 1983: Not for the US Championship.
  • Ricky Steamboat VS Rick Rude(c) 30 Minute Iron Man Match at Beach Blast 1992: Not for the US Championship.
  • Roddy Piper VS Hollywood Hogan(c) Steel Cage Match at Halloween Havoc 1997: Not for the World Heavyweight Championship.
  • Hart Foundation VS Brain Busters(c): Not for the Tag Team Championship.
Any others? Why were these Non title and should they have been for the title. I mean what harm would have been done if Ricky Steamboat had been crowned US Champion at Beach Blast after beating Rude in the Iron Man Match?.
Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
15,074 Posts
Perhaps Piper/Valentine being non-profits stems from how heated the feud had become. With Piper/Hogan, it's probably because of Piper's role as commissioner, as he made the match.

Rude/Steamboat being non-title made no sense.

I'm certain the explanation behind Hart Foundation/Brainbusters being non-title was the match was signed before Arn & Tully won the titles.

Only other one I can think of is Sting/Cactus Jack from Beach Blast '92.

·
Currently booking tonight’s card...
2,404 Posts
One theory I’ve always had about ‘some’ non title matches... it’s a way in some cases to have the challenger get over... but obviously the champion doesn’t loose anything in the process.
Not all the time does the challenger go over... but it’s been used that way many times in a long program.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
One theory I’ve always had about ‘some’ non title matches... it’s a way in some cases to have the challenger get over... but obviously the champion doesn’t loose anything in the process.
Not all the time does the challenger go over... but it’s been used that way many times in a long program.
Okay, but I'm curious as to how that applies to Rude/Steamboat at Beach Blast 1992. Steamboat was massively over in WCW and even had been World Champion before in his 1989 feud with Flair. I don't think it would have hurt anything if Steamboat had become US champion after winning the iron man match.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts