Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
40,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Lots of incorrect Mary Sue talk in the Captain Marvel thread.

I also can't remember a movie thread going so off topic in the past. It probably did though.

Let's talk about fictional characters that you think are Mary Sues but actually aren't.

And I swear if you call Furiosa a Mary Sue I will ban you.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Lots of incorrect Mary Sue talk in the Captain Marvel thread.

I also can't remember a movie thread going so off topic in the past. It probably did though.

Let's talk about fictional characters that you think are Mary Sues but actually aren't.

And I swear if you call Furiosa a Mary Sue I will ban you.

Forrest Gump is number 1 for me!!!!!

·
Registered
4,526 Posts
Closest we'll get in to a Mary Sue in GOT is Dany and I wouldn't even call her one.

Didn't see Hunger games ( my anger at it plagiarizing Battle Royale won't allow me to watch), but was J-law's character in that a mary sue?

·
Registered
5,811 Posts
I'm sure someone will counter with the Chuck Norris jokes, but in seriousness, Cordell Walker HAS to be high up there.

Yeah, character is a martial arts enthusiast who was in Vietnam and a Texas Ranger, but literally resurrected a horse, has survived the world's deadliest scorpions on him in a desert after being discombobulated, Michael Phelps would be envious of his swimming feats. On land, he is a sharpshooter beyond world-class caliber, can kick through the windshield of a moving car with perfect timing and zero injury, even for a Ranger and former soldier has superhuman endurance despite being mortal and who knows what else are on his feat list.

Reactions: MrMister

·
Premium Member
19,332 Posts
Closest we'll get in to a Mary Sue in GOT is Dany and I wouldn't even call her one.

Didn't see Hunger games ( my anger at it plagiarizing Battle Royale won't allow me to watch), but was J-law's character in that a mary sue?
Nah, Katniss isn't a Mary Sue at all. She has so many goddamn flaws. A Mary Sue doesn't earn any of her *or his* admiration and doesn't really have to prove his/her worth. This isn't Katniss at all.

She even has a morphine addiction if I recall correctly.

·
40,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I'm ok with suspending the requirement that a Mary Sue isn't the main protagonist just for the sake of us arguing.

I've read one of those Hunger Games novels, Katniss is not a Mary Sue. She's competent and that's ok. There is nothing wrong with a protagonist/hero being competent.

Dany in ASoIaF is certainly not a Mary Sue. She's a bit ridiculous at times in GoT, and maybe there is something here, but I'm going to say not a Mary Sue for now. There's a possible twist that has her being not very nice aka a villain. I'll concede it's kind of close. That scene where all those brown people deify her was one of the most embarrassing things I've ever seen in a TV show.

Walker, Texas Ranger :heston

·
Premium Member
19,332 Posts
I still can't believe I got MrMister to read The Hunger Games ..... :aryha EDIT: I didn't get Mr to read The Hunger Games... I got him to START The Hunger Games.... he finished it because it is a pretty damn good book when all is said and done.

I don't see Dany being a Mary Sue at all either. It's not like she's going out there and doing those things. She really wouldn't be able to do shit if it weren't for her dragons. She's pretty much 100 percent reliant on the dragons and she certainly has flaws.

I have to agree with Mr in so far as the scene he says is the most embarrassing scene ever filmed..... yep.... no goddamn doubt about that.

·
Registered
12,872 Posts
Rey is a text book Mary Sue. There's a reason the phrase became common knowledge after her creation.

Hermione Granger.... definite Mary Sue. Conversely Ron Weasely is the opposite of a Mary Sue, dude seems to get a new character flaw in every book :lol

Also, though I love him, Captain America, dude's a total Mary Sue. There's even a punch line in Age of Ultron about him not cursing :lmao

·
From parts unknown
23,261 Posts
BTW, I may have an extremely unpopular opinion on this, but I personally don't even mind Mary Sues. Of course, a movie/story with a character with a growth storyline, flaws etc can create an engaging story overall, but I personally don't have a problem watching Mary Sue's in action. Sometimes I just really want to see this total, complete, super human bad ass that's always ahead of the game and can conquer everything and everyone. I see no problem in that. I'm sure it's not for everyone, but it doesn't take away from my enjoyment of a movie.

90's action movies, Jackie Chan/martial arts movies, some Bollywood movies etc consistently have Gary Stus and they've never really made me dislike the movie. For me the enjoyment then is the sheer spectacle of it and that's fine. If the director/writers can be creative enough to have unique puzzles, situations for the main character to overcome, they can overcome them all for all I care. It's the journey that matters.

Just to add, Katniss was definitely not a Mary Sue. No. Not even. Not at all. The first two books were great and the third was kinda :trash

·
Premium Member
19,332 Posts
The third book broke my heart, Reaper but I did enjoy it. It's totally different which I liked.

I'm the same when it comes to Mary Sue's as well, Reaper. Rey is the ultimate Mary Sue and it doesn't bother me in the slightest. I still love Rey.

·
Registered
12,872 Posts
BTW, I may have an extremely unpopular opinion on this, but I personally don't even mind Mary Sues. Of course, a movie/story with a character with a growth storyline, flaws etc can create an engaging story overall, but I personally don't have a problem watching Mary Sue's in action. Sometimes I just really want to see this total, complete, super human bad ass that's always ahead of the game and can conquer everything and everyone. I see no problem in that. I'm sure it's not for everyone, but it doesn't take away from my enjoyment of a movie.

90's action movies, Jackie Chan/martial arts movies, some Bollywood movies etc consistently have Gary Stus and they've never really made me dislike the movie. For me the enjoyment then is the sheer spectacle of it and that's fine. If the director/writers can be creative enough to have unique puzzles, situations for the main character to overcome, they can overcome them all for all I care. It's the journey that matters.

Just to add, Katniss was definitely not a Mary Sue. No. Not even. Not at all. The first two books were great and the third was kinda :trash
Yeah I'm inclined to agree. Mary Sue characters are not inherently bad. It depends on the story.

Game of Thrones for example with all their shades of grey would not be the place for a Mary Sue character.

Star Wars is another example were past characters have been so defined by their flaws, both in over coming them or succumbing to them, that a Mary Sue character sticks out like a sore thumb and, just imo, kind of shits on the characters that came before them.

Contrarily Harry Potter had Ron and Hermione and the dichotomy of those two character worked well together.

·
From parts unknown
23,261 Posts
I never even noticed that Hermione is like a Mary Sue. And I think it's because she's consistently called out for being an insufferable know it all. Almost no one likes her. She's acutely aware of it. In the books she struggles with flying and needs Harry to improve her dark arts since Harry is the gifted one there. She fucks up the polyjuice potion and turns herself into a cat. In the second movie she gets petrified and is out of the picture for the climax. She has serious relationship issues with Ron stemming from her own inability to be emotionally expressive till she just breaks down like a #nicegirl. She accidentally breaks Harry's wand. I'm sure if I tried hard enough I can come up with a dozen more instances where she either fucks up or isn't about to conquer it all.

·
My mom thinks I'm cool.
2,108 Posts
When I think of Mary Sues I tend to think of Robin from the Teen Titans 2003 cartoon, at least in the first season. There were many scenes of him succeeding against enemies while the others were failing despite them having powers, they showed him defeating his own team by himself and he's usually granted more dignity than the others in general. The creators even admitted getting people to think Robin was cool was considered a top priority when writing the show. This treatment was obnoxious to me as a kid because I found him to be the least interesting, least funny, least relatable member of the team especially as the ads sold them on their personalities with him being "the hothead" only to find out that wasn't particularly true - in comparison he barely had a personality and considering the flaws of the others made them more endearing, this Robin suffered by being the Creator's Pet imo.

I like to think of TTG's portrayal of him as penance...

Reactions: TommyWCECM
1 - 20 of 48 Posts