Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The main event is not the match that goes on last, it's the match that sells the show. It could be both things sure, but first and foremost it is the match that sells the show. The marquee match. Fans were gonna tune in to watch Hogan-Andre no matter what and if Vince decided to close the show out with some other bullshit it wouldn't have mattered by that point.

These days when it comes to PPV's its a guessing game as to which match will go on last. The truth is you just don't know sometimes. You think Brock is going on last for sure and poof he's first. Or you think "hey maybe they're gonna let the girls go on last"..... or "nah Roman or Seth is probably going on last." So if the order of the matches has become completely inconsequential, and people don't even know what the last match is gonna be half the time... how is that still considered the main event?

The main event is the match that everyone came to see. Hogan-Andre. Hogan-Warrior. Rock-Austin. It's the match the entire show is built upon. You don't get to decide what match that is 3 hours into the show. It's not.. "Oh hey everyone thanks for coming and thanks for tuning in there's only 3 matches left and we just wanna let you know we've decided that tonight's main event will be the women's tag match. Thanks for coming". Lol that's not how it goes.

That is not a real main event. That is just the last match on the card.

·
THE MAN has come around to collect her debts.
6,722 Posts
World championship matches should always go on last in my opinion. Even if you have a match like Rock/Austin, HBK/Taker, or Becky/Rousey/Charlotte on the card. The problem is that WWE doesn't know how to build world title matches anymore and when something catches fire and popularity, they have to run with it as the main event. Which is also fine, because as you said, the main attraction should always be the main event. I loved that HBK/Taker and Becky all main evented Mania. But at the same time, the world title match should always be the main attraction. WWE just sucks at making it that way.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
World championship matches should always go on last in my opinion. Even if you have a match like Rock/Austin, HBK/Taker, or Becky/Rousey/Charlotte on the card. The problem is that WWE doesn't know how to build world title matches anymore and when something catches fire and popularity, they have to run with it as the main event. Which is also fine, because as you said, the main attraction should always be the main event. I loved that HBK/Taker and Becky all main evented Mania. But at the same time, the world title match should always be the main attraction. WWE just sucks at making it that way.
There's a problem though. You say the world title should go on last but there are four world titles now. This is the problem when you introduce both a brand split AND a separate women's division. Now everyone's gotta have their own belt.

We went from having a single, identifiable champion to having four division champions.

·
Registered
300 Posts
No, the most important people in the company should main event.

When you have multiple women main events you are telling the audience that they are more important than Reigns, Wyatt etc

·
6,722 Posts
There's a problem though. You say the world title should go on last but there are four world titles now. This is the problem when you introduce both a brand split AND a separate women's division. Now everyone's gotta have their own belt.

We went from having a single, identifiable champion to having four division champions.
When I say World Title, I mean the WWE Title, or what is considered to be the World Title, which is whatever belt Brock Lesnar is holding. He is still seen as the top champion of WWE even with all the world titles they have floating around.

No, the most important people in the company should main event.

When you have multiple women main events you are telling the audience that they are more important than Reigns, Wyatt etc
They are all important if they are over. Its whoever is MOST over, or whatever program is MOST attractive that will main event. It's not that the women are MORE important than the men, its just that the men don't have anything compelling going on. Even though the TLC Womens tag match sucked, it was still the hottest match on the card pre-PPV and the main attraction. At Wrestlemania they were also the main attraction. Main eventing SSeries should have never happened though as the mens brand warfare was the main attraction. The women's main events have been warranted and deserved, whether they lived up to expectations or not. The fact that the men are not main eventing is due to WWE's shitty booking. They make all their men look like dweebs and geeks so their angle are not picking up steam. It's sad. I can't see any male on the roster as a main eventer right now outside of Aleister Black, The Fiend & Roman Reigns.

·
6,722 Posts
Neither do the women. Becky and Charlotte are just Roman and Seth by another name. It's the same bullshit.
Yeah right now they don't, you're right. But heel Asuka is more compelling than Baron Corbin. The women's TLC program was more compelling than Roman getting dog food thrown on him so that's why they main evented. And Lesnar wasn't on the card. And it IS the same WWE bullshit. This is how they book. A couple of people matter and fuck the rest. I'm not complaining because I'm a Becky mark but I can still see that it ain't right. That's why I watch AEW more than anything now.

·
The Babyface of WF
10,827 Posts
Agreed the main draw on the card with the most adept storytelling and involvement should go on last, Not to mention those with the most adequate star power and fan investment.

These days it's more like Vince decides what he thinks is more deserving to main event his shows which generally center around his chosen ones whether they are hot or not.

·
Baby Yoda
29,315 Posts
A big reason why they don't have stars is because they've devalued the world title.

Nowadays, you have world champions in the midcard or opening shows and the bloody WOMENS tag titles main eventing shows. This is a title which wasn't defended for 2-3 months after WM. Hell, has a mens tag team title ever main evented a PPV? Not that it should, but someone like New Day or The Usos, who have been the tag divison for the last 5-6 years or or icon teams like E&C, The dudleys or The Hardys deserve that honor far more than the women.

WWE need to get their shit together or things are only going to get worse.

·
Registered
666 Posts
A bunch of fucking women wrestling 20-minute matches, even as an opener is death of wrestling, let alone maineventing PPVs or shows. Especially when said women are a bunch of petite lil Asians in gaudy attire, Cringy Lynch, and manly Charlotte.

Can't believe the number of white knights and manginas who even proceed to defend and advocate shit like this. No wonder the ratings went to the toilet with that Captain Cringe Cringy Lynch on the RTWM.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I would agree to the post about the Top Match people came to see .... but as of late the bookers don't know what they are doing or who even is good anymore look at TLC for example there was absolutely no build up and they threw it together in a week or so they tried lol .... The Years Taker was on his Streak that should have been the last as each and every year he was the wrestlemania draw ! and his matches at WM 25 with HBK and HHH at WM28 should have been main events cause in my opinion they stole the show regardless of WM28 with cena/rock .... so you topic is a pretty difficult one to decide what the draw is cause in some years there was a couple good ones ..... WM 25 HHH/Orton were on last and Taker/HBK already stole that show and saved the 25th Anniversary of WrestleMania lol

1 - 13 of 13 Posts