Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When Mike Mcgillicutty(sp.) started NXT it seemed like he had a lot of fans on here calling him the total package. Now everyone says he is very bland, what happened?

·
Registered
897 Posts
I was impressed with him for the first couple of weeks of NXT. But he just didn't show any sort of improvement through the competition, nor did he show much potential to improve.

Similar to Titus and Lucky, he also doesn't have a distinctive character, unlike other rookies this season - Riley's the Varsity Villain, Kaval's the world warrior, Percy was Showtime, Husky was the army tank with the Ferrari engine and Eli was the giant weirdo (but needs a lot of work everywhere). McGillicutty is just a normal guy, and similar to Lucky's childhood, nobody cares.

·
Registered
209 Posts
When Mike Mcgillicutty(sp.) started NXT it seemed like he had a lot of fans on here calling him the total package. Now everyone says he is very bland, what happened?
He is bland. My support of him early on was due to everyone saying he was terrible in FCW, making me think he was going to be a terrible wrestler riding on the back of their father's popularity. He's since shown he's a pretty good wrestler. Not amazing, but above-average, but he still hasn't fashioned a distinct character for himself.

It was easy to look past that early on in the competition - he was less bland than Lucky Cannon, less narmy than Eli Cottonwood or Titus O'Neal, but as the weeks progressed, every other rookie grew and developed their characters... except him.

Of course, even if he had grown and developed his character, he'd be stuffed anyway - he's up against Riley and Kaval, one of whom is his superior on the mic, the other of which can wrestle circles around him. It's not an enviable position for anyone to be in.

I do still expect him to have a good WWE career (but for the love of god, change his name! I don't care if it's Joe Hennig or Joe Perfect or Mike Perfect or whatever, just not McGillicutty), but at the moment he's just the weakest link of the remaining contestants.

·
Asuka
96,210 Posts
they saw some McGuillicutty promos.
This. McGillicutty is just a copy of Ted jr, he has no charisma at all and has nothing going for him except who his father is. Of the 3 remaining rookies, he's the only one left that doesn't have an advantage over the other 2 in a single area. Not even credibility, which at the beginning of the season was his strongpoint, because the guy jobbed out to Zach Ryder and Ryder couldn't last 10 seconds with the WWE Champion. There's no way I'll buy him believably winning.

·
DAVID OTUNGA's Personal Assistant
9,748 Posts
ugh, that was his WORST promo. i think you're scared. no, you're scared.

"HERE'S KAVAL, WHO SAYS IT'S NOT ABOUT THE SIZE OF THE DOG IN THE FIGHT, BUT THE SIZE OF THE FIGHT BAD ADAEKTHEA BWA WABWA BW AWBWA!"

what?

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Easy explanation here. There are two things necessary in pro wrestling:

Mic skills and ring skills. The other two excell at one of those. He doesn't.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
His name doesnt help him. His lack of character and fan stance. He is heel one week and Face the next then both on one show. Im not really a fan of the whole sam worthington look he is rocking aswell.

·
Registered
3,275 Posts
Easy explanation here. There are two things necessary in pro wrestling:

Mic skills and ring skills. The other two excell at one of those. He doesn't.
McGuillicutty isn't a good wrestler? lolz.....he's the 2nd best on nxt2 and best for the wwe style.

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
Let's imagine that he was the son of a non-wrestler. What does he have that would have advanced him this far?

Like them or not, Kaval and Alex Riley both have desirable qualities for the WWE. What does Hennig have other than the name?

·
Young winger learning from greats such as Downing
9,856 Posts
The problem is that Kaval has shown so much improvement and potential.

Don't get me wrong, Hennig has improved a ton and could have a bright future ahead of him. But he has zero momentum right now.

·
Banned
2,631 Posts
Hennig Jr really sucks at everything. He might be the absolute worst promo cutter I've ever heard. He has an incredibly bland and forgettable look. No charisma. He's even average at best in the ring. If his daddy wasn't awesome back in the day he wouldn't have a job in WWE.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
People watched his work, and discovered how bland he is. He had been overrated ever since his FCW days, and that just got obvious once he appeared on television.

·
Banned
2,954 Posts
I'm still here

·
Premium Member
1,043 Posts
I'm still here
So am I. Never really figured out what people want from a rookie, really. When someone debuts, they start making those 'boring' threats and complainings, then at some point they change their mind. Same thing is when someone changes their gimmick or look. How about Rhodes, for instance. Both those things have happened with him, he is still being overly critized, but the majority changed their minds. Just try to enjoy a wrestler's good sides. Joe Hennig can wrestle if he has the time and the legitimate opponent. Not like a one minute squash over Lucky Cannon, who never won a match for himself. Same with promo work. If you're told to talk about anything you want for a minute, then that means it doesn't mean hell what you're gonna say. So, you're a rookie who's been on a 'C' show for a month or so and you're gonna cut a promo about becoming World champion in a couple of months, thus getting the boos or laughs of your life. But wait, you're no heel. You're teamed with over-smiling Kofi and you're a babyface who's supposed to say he loves the WWE Universe in every sentence. But then again, you're not an underdog and you need to get legitimacy. So, you try to put yourself over and remain a face at the same time, but you're a rookie with a deep voice who sounds like a heel anyway, and the crowd's like "Who's he think he is?" and gives you the rookie-heel treatment. That's why rookies should not cut too many promos, you gotta bust your ass to earn some little kids' and couch potatoes' respect before getting any positive reaction.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts