Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this the most underrated WWE PPV ever? I think it is after watching it for the first time in years.

It features good to very good matches,as well as 2 forgotten classics - Rock vs Jericho and a triple threat between Austin,RVD and Angle.The only poor quality bout is a divas match,unsurprisingly.

·
Registered
9,790 Posts
It's a shame RVD didn't win the belt here, Austin could have got in back on Raw or Smackdown like Rock did with the WCW title.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I think it's not just No Mercy 2001 in general that gets that treatment but the wrestling during this invasion storyline as a whole. There's plenty of good wrestling during this storyline but unfortunately it got overshadowed by the invasion storyline and how it's universally considered to have sucked.

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
If RVD won the main event, the entire PPV would have been epic. Think about it.

Even if they only gave him the belt for a week, but we all know Vince didnt want to risk putting the WWE or WCW title on any "newcomers." :/

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
The Triple Threat was good, but i expectet a little more, the rest of the Match were solid to good, Test vs Kane was surprisingly good and The Rock vs Jericho was a great Match, on e i still remember very well even thought i have seen the Event 2 Years ago.

So yeah it is a very underrated Event, cause there is not one bad Match on it.

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
I think it's not just No Mercy 2001 in general that gets that treatment but the wrestling during this invasion storyline as a whole. There's plenty of good wrestling during this storyline but unfortunately it got overshadowed by the invasion storyline and how it's universally considered to have sucked.
This is pretty much true. The invasion angle wasn't dealt with as best as it could be (but ignoring how good it could have been, I don't think we can say it totally sucked) - but it still had plenty of great matches put up there for us. I think the biggest problem was it all became a clusterfuck - too many wrestlers and too many titles floating about.

·
Banned
2,012 Posts
Is this the most underrated WWE PPV ever? I think it is after watching it for the first time in years.
my guess is, every show that year was going to be shadowed by wrestlemania 17

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Overall, No Mercy 2001 was a very good show.

Rock/Jericho was one of the best matches of 2001 and definitely the best match they had together in their feud. The Triple Threat was very good too. I just thought WWE should have put the belt on RVD though, he was SO over at the time.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Click Click Boom!

Defo a solid PPV show. I enjoyed everything barring the WWF tag title match which was dire and Taker/Booker which was poor for two big names.

·
Purebred Powerhouse
5,754 Posts
It was a solid card that actually delivered. The opener was fast-paced, exciting action. And the show never really slowed down too much. That's rare.

Jericho/Rock had such chemistry together. This was only the early stages of their rivalry, but it was my personal favorite of the entire feud. The quick-witted verbal jabs, the promos, the interactions in tag matches, the teasing of who will and who won't turn heel... it was fucking awesome.

Ultimately, the finish to their match felt a little flat. I understood the teasing of Stephanie's involvement, but the follow-up was weak. Jericho's eventual heel turn suffered for it, and they never really did the whole thing justice, in my opinion. Still, the feud was nothing but pure entertainment at this stage.

Oh. And yeah. You better believe Rob Van Dam was the hottest fucking commodity in the business around this time. I don't care what anyone says. If WWE would've made up their minds to strap a rocket to his ass and just absolutely pushed him to the moon, the guy would've been WWE Champion before WrestleMania X8.

RVD had white hot momentum... the kind of momentum that makes Jeff Hardy's 2009 title build-up look relatively weak in comparison.

I hate it that they never really capitalized on that. RVD was primed & ready for something real big.

·
Premium Member
5,646 Posts
It also featured the forgotten Edge vs Christian ladder match, which was actually pretty good. Also Jericho's first World Title win I think

1 - 11 of 11 Posts