Discussion Starter #62

·
Premium Member
38,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #69

·
Registered
15,410 Posts
The PC version might be the way to go because of the Mods, but the game should be fun ether way. I love the way the procedurally generated creatures have their own characteristics depending on how the algorithm forms itself and the environmental conditions of the planet. if only there was humanoid lifeform and towns with a civilization you could discover and interract with to make it even more interesting :frown2:

I don't know how I feel about being able to manually reset the structures on the planet. that kills the thrill of exploration

·
Premium Member
38,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
The PC version might be the way to go because of the Mods, but the game should be fun ether way. I love the way the procedurally generated creatures have their own characteristics depending on how the algorithm forms itself and the environmental conditions of the planet. if only there was humanoid lifeform and towns with a civilization you could discover and interract with to make it even more interesting :frown2:

I don't know how I feel about being able to manually reset the structures on the planet. that kills the thrill of exploration
He was in god mode, I don't think we will be able to do that.

He was just showing off what happens when you change the math in the formula.

·
Registered
5,027 Posts

Mods might not even be in this game. Hello Games has yet to decide if they're going to implement mod support last I heard.

So, the PC and PS4 versions might not be that different. Well, aside from the PC version very likely out performing it, that is.

·
Registered
15,410 Posts
Mods might not even be in this game. Hello Games has yet to decide if they're going to implement mod support last I heard.

So, the PC and PS4 versions might not be that different. Well, aside from the PC version very likely out performing it, that is.
it would be a damn shame if they didn't. mods are what made Minecraft so much more enjoyable, same thing with games like Skyrim. NMS is the perfect game for a modding community

·
Registered
5,027 Posts
it would be a damn shame if they didn't. mods are what made Minecraft so much more enjoyable, same thing with games like Skyrim. NMS is the perfect game for a modding community
Agreed. +With Fallout 4 getting mods on Xbone (maybe PS4 too if Sony doesn't pull a stupid) and Just Cause 3 possibly getting mods on console as well, it'd be really nice if the PS4 version of NMS would get mod support.

Don't fail me now, Hello Games and Sony.

·
Registered
15,410 Posts
I think at the beginning they won't so you play the game they wanted you to play but after a while they will let you mod it.
it takes time to create good mods and it's optional, so they would be smart to allow it as quickly as possible. it would be an added selling point. people that want to play the game as it's meant to be played aren't forced to use mods

·
Premium Member
38,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
it takes time to create good mods and it's optional, so they would be smart to allow it as quickly as possible. it would be an added selling point. people that want to play the game as it's meant to be played aren't forced to use mods
But giving them the tools may spoil the game in the eyes of the devs and could put spoilers out there for other people that don't want to be spoiled.

If they do allow mods I bet it won't be until 6 months into the games release. That is the vibe I get from Sean when he talks about the game and if they would allow mods.

·
Premium Member
38,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/07/24/ask-sean-murray-anything-about-no-mans-sky

NO MAN'S SKY / 24 JUL 2015
ASK SEAN MURRAY ANYTHING ABOUT NO MAN'S SKY
439 You asked, Sean answered.
BY CHRIS ABBOTTAll month long, we've been diving deep into Hello Games' incredibly-ambitious No Man's Sky. We've shown off extended chunks of gameplay, picked apart the game's science-fiction inspirations, and how NMS' many systems work together.

To cap off this month's IGN First, we plumbed your comments below and gathered a ton of questions for Sean Murray, Hello's founder and programmer on No Man's Sky.

Release Date

No Man's Sky: 18 Minute Gameplay Demo - IGN First
18:32

keylimepies: Obviously, we’re all dying to know when we’ll finally be able to get our hands on No Man’s Sky. Any update on when you all might have an update? In the mean time, what's it like for the studio? Are you itching to release the final product? Does the excitement get overwhelming?

Sean Murray: Hi KeyLimePies! It’s really nice that you are excited about the game, and care about the release date. That actually means a lot, it’s genuinely fuel that makes me want to keep coding tonight once I finish these answers!

I guess there’s two things, when the release date is, but also when we announce that date. We can’t announce the date right now, because of things that are not entirely in our control, but honestly for good reasons. It’ll be announced as soon as we can.

What really matters though, the big thing for us, is that date when you actually get to play the game yourself. I know you aren’t alone in wanting that to arrive as quickly as possible. If people could see how hard this team is working, how intently, passionately and crazily… man if people could see that, I’m pretty sure they’d tell us to ease off, to take a break.

The reality is we wouldn’t ease off though, because nobody wants to get No Man’s Sky out there in the world more than we do. You talk to anyone here, and they’ll whisper about their post-launch “thing”. The sacrifices that’ll end, or that one thing we so desperately want to do, but is on hold until after the game is shipped. We’ve pretty much all had recurring dreams and nightmares about that moment of uploading the final build.

I guess it’s easy to forget we’re just a small self funded indie studio. I remember even on Joe Danger, we ran out of time, energy and even money, maxing out credit cards, but we just kept going. That’s where we are now. And this is such an ambitious game, such a small team, and under so much pressure. You can’t go to sleep at night because it’s not going to be as good as you promised yourself, or as good as you can now see it could be.

Xbox One/VR
Ixpsop: Is the game coming to Xbox One? Will there be Oculus support on PC?

Murray: We’re a small group and we are very focused on delivering a great experience on PS4. Like, so focused it hurts... I want the game to shine, to do something new, and I want it to push the technology. I guess I’m not sure how much I can say about any of this, but I do think VR is extremely cool.

Space Phenomena

No Man's Sky's Sci-Fi Inspirations
04:46

Fugazi813: My question for Sean Murray, we know how diverse the planets can be, does the same apply to the stars? For example will we see Stellar Nebulas, massive stars, red giants, red super giants, planetary nebulas, supernovas, white dwarfs or black holes? Thanks!

Murray: We have a variety of different types of star, some of which are super rare, and you'll start to realise they'll tend to offer certain opportunities. In the videos already out there, as I zoom through the Galactic Map you get glimpses of different types, sizes and colours of stars, and more interestingly probably, different formations.

As to other phenomena, well we don't want to say too much about what to expect, because No Man's Sky is about exploration and finding things for yourself, but the rule we've set ourselves is that it's a game first, not a simulation. Space has to be fun, and everything you find in it should offer interesting ways of playing. So for instance, a black hole could be a really cool gameplay element, but maybe a supernova isn’t so much…

Planetary Transitions
timvdkooij: Is there always bright, colorful gas when you're in a solar system or can you sometimes see the blackness of space?

Murray: Personally I always tend to want to go for a more realistic depiction of everything, but Grant, our art director, always pushes for a more aesthetically interesting game. He says space should always looks beautiful. We argue, but he’s totally right. Every sci-fi book cover, artist, or film we look at for inspiration proves him right, with gorgeous space vistas.

This is a game about exploration though. Whilst we’ve focused on showing our more vibrant systems in the past, and they are more interesting to discover, if you want to see the blackness of space I think if you are willing to explore then you’ll find it…

Sea Depths

No Man's Sky: How the Economy Works - IGN First
03:38

Chronas345: When a player dives into the ocean... can the ocean be deep enough to go into complete darkness like trenches and see scary fish like angler fish?

Murray: Some seas can be very deep, yes, and they can get dark. Maybe you'll find certain creatures down there, and other things besides - you'll have a light on your suit that'll help you see. But these places are likely to be dangerous. One of my favourite things, that never gets old for me, is that feeling when I find some underwater caves. There I am supposed to be testing the game, and suddenly I’m distracted 100 meters deep in a cave discovering new creatures and running out of air.

Cross-Platform Play
Scresan: Will the universe be cross platform? Could you be roaming planets on PS4 and run into a PC player?

Murray: There’s really two questions, will the universe be identical, and will the network functions be shared? Unfortunately this is one of those things that I can’t really talk about just yet, but it’s actually a really unique problem for a game (that different platforms could have entirely different universes… would that be good or bad? What would people prefer?).

Weather
Sorecandy: Will we see any extreme weather? We've seen rain, but what about hurricanes and earthquakes?

Murray: There are things like rain, dust storms, snow, blizzards, storms and a bunch of other things possible. There are also more alien weather types, effectively like radioactive and toxic hazards, and atmospheres made from different compositions to ours. This isn’t a simulation or just a tech demo though, we’re not trying to recreate every possible natural disaster!

No Man's Sky: Humble Beginnings - IGN First
04:05

Jill: Are characters pre-made, or customizable? What was the reasoning for the decision?

Murray: So you don't get to see yourself in the game, which was a very specific decision we made early on. We wanted it so that you only see the world through your own eyes. No Man's Sky isn't an MMO. Who or what you are is down to your own interpretation, rather than us giving you set guidelines on it in the way a character creator would. That's super important to us.

Having said that, if this doesn’t sound too weird… we know who you are! Or at least we have a lore that explains why you are in this universe. The story you tell in this world, and your journey, is down to you though. Too many games tell me ways to play, or force me to play as characters I don’t even like. We want the player to be able to think for themselves and use their imagination.

Having said that, you can customise yourself hugely in other ways. Your ship, your weapon and suit will feel personal to you. If you have an asymmetrical, golden, scientific ship, then it’s because you went out and found that ship. You filled it with all its technology, and you would share it with pride. I could look at it and know what kind of player you are.

After Release
Bronybuscus: Are there some features in No Mans Sky that you want to add, but you are not able to due to certain limitations?

Murray: You are opening up my personal Pandora ’s Box of pain here! There isn't room on the internet for a list of all the things I wish we could do. It's sort of OK because today when you release a game it doesn't mean you're necessarily finished. We want to release something finished, something complete, but I really hope that No Man’s Sky is successful enough to allow us to add even just some of the extra things we always talk about in the studio, or the things the community will come up with hopefully.

Galactic Map

No Man's Sky: A Tour of 5 New Planets - IGN First
02:10
darkninja725: Will there be a way to put bookmarks/keep tabs on planets and systems?

Murray: Every planet you visit will be recorded on your Galactic Map, which captures all this information as you go along, so you'll always have a record of where you've been. You can also use it to set waypoints, which will help you navigate by showing you routes that your current hyperdrive can manage. If other people visit to planets you're interested in, you can see information about it, if they've chosen to share it.

Factions
raztrent: Are factions themselves procedural, or will their names be persistent across the entire universe?

darkninja725: To what extent can we become allies or enemy's with other AI factions?

Murray: Factions are procedurally generated, because they have to fill such a large universe, but individual factions occupy what will feel like pretty huge chunks of space, so you'll get to know them well as you travel through. You’ll actually be able to get a real sense of personality from them.

Factions will become friends with you if you help them out, maybe by defending them against an attack from a warring faction or a pirate attack. Perhaps if you're attacked and they're around, they'll come and help you in return, or maybe they’ll give you preferential treatment as a trader

Procedural

How No Man's Sky Infinite Universe Actually Works - IGN First
08:50

Ghirsch: Sean, do you believe that NMS will revolutionize games featuring procedural generation? Would you like your game to inspire other people to create other procedural games?

Murray: This sort of question is super embarrassing because while I'm proud of what we've made, there are so many amazing things being made in games right now. I guess one of the things I hope is that some of the excitement around No Man's Sky has helped people understand what procedural generation is. I’d be happy about that.

And I do think having to painstakingly make every piece of content really holds back some creative ideas. If I want a game set in a city, the first thing I need to do right now is to hire a thousand artists to build a city... I think in the future we’re going to see more and more generated elements in games, where I can click a button and build a random city. I like to day dream about the kinds of games you could make with a second or third iteration of our planet generator.

There’ll probably be some book in ten years time about the rise of procedural generation in games, and if we get a mention I’ll be super happy (obviously unless it’s like “No Man’s Sky was a terrible game”).

That’s sort of the core of it really. I would say that procedural generation is just a tool to us. It's just a way for a small studio like us to make something truly huge, and not just technology for its own sake. What comes first for us is the game.

Technology/Crafting
Firefury: When I combine two elements and make a new element, will the game remember that formula on how to make that element again or do I, as the player, have to remember how to make it?

Murray: Once you've discovered a technology, you'll always have the option to create it as an upgrade to your ship, Multitool or suit, as long as you have the resources it requires. Some resources are super rare, so you should be careful with what you invest in :)

Crafting resources to create products that you sell works a bit differently, and does require you to keep track of your formulas (it’s not as difficult as it sounds).

Resources

The Otherworldly Sounds of No Man's Sky - IGN First
02:20

warnakey: Hi Sean! In the No Man's Sky periodic table, are there going to be 118 elements, like our own periodic table? And, will the names of elements in the game represent real elements (for example, Oxycen represents oxygen and Hyglese represents Hydrogen) or will they be entirely fictional?

Murray: I originally wanted to have real elements in the game, and all of them! It was impacting gameplay decisions though, and it turns out most people are less into real chemistry than I am. So we've made up our own periodic table. It’s pretty sizeable, and whilst some elements correlate directly to the real world, lots of them don’t. It has allowed us to go much further in terms of giving things more special, game-related properties.

Glitches
Bronybuscus: What is the funniest glitch/mishap that you have seen in your game?

Murray: Oh man, I probably shouldn’t say this, but of any game I’ve worked on we definitely have the very best bugs. I better not list too many of these or you’ll think the game is buggy.

One time, we had creatures that lived on the ceiling of caves only in the Northern Hemisphere. Another time all the buildings started walking around the planet. There was a space station that tried to dock in another space station, and a gun that was so powerful it blasted creatures into orbit. My favourite was probably the bug that would reincarnate you as a different creature each time you died. One minute you are in a dog-fight, the next you are a shark in the ocean.

What Excites You the Most?

Inside No Man's Sky's Epic Space Soundtrack - IGN First
05:03

adam3b58: Sean, what about No Man's Sky excites YOU the most? That you're willing to share at this point, anyway :)

Murray: Honestly right now, there’s a bit of maths that I’m working on that will really increase the variation you see on the planets, or at least give more interesting variation. It’s pretty much all I can think about. Don’t get excited though, because that’s standard for me. Whatever I’m working on right now is “the most exciting thing”, and I always think it’s going to solve “all the problems all at once”. The real joy is when you are seeing the team check in their individual pieces and suddenly you see them fit together and interact.

Music
heavenstoo: 65daysofstatic really seems to suit the feel of this game.

Murray: Is their infinite soundtrack coming together the way you expected too, have there been any surprises in regards to the music that they have produced or the procedurally created adaptations of their work?

Thank you so much! I am still so excited that their music is in the game. Their aim was to make a soundtrack that was 65daysofstatic meets sci-fi, and I think they’ve nailed that. I have to say, it’s the weirdest experience working with your favourite band. Can you imagine what that’s like? Like right now there’s an album of theirs that sits on my phone, that I listen to while coding, and pretty much no one else has heard it.

A bit of trivia is that when you’ve seen videos of No Man’s Sky before, it’s always me playing, normally listening to 65days, trying to get a shot that matches the music well. If you go back and watch the video we made for PSX, that track was cut the week of the show, the first from the new album. Once I had it, I just sat and recorded myself playing with headphones on, so I’d naturally fall into the rhythm. I think if you watch that back, it fits so perfectly the tone and mood. Whereas like the previous track, Debutante, was chosen from their whole back catalogue to match the game, now it feels like everything new they’ve made fits, you know?

The procedural music that their soundtrack is building is steadily coming together, and that has surprised me, sometimes for the good, where it exactly hits the mood of a place, and sometimes for the not so good, where it's a bit weird, but even that is memorable and it’s unique to you. A real moment.

·
Premium Member
38,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #80 (Edited)
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2015/08/03/35-amazing-things-about-no-mans-sky/

Join Now

Login
PlayStation.com
PlayStation.Blog PS4PS3PS VitaPSN
Tearaway Unfolded
41 Amazing Things About No Man’s Sky
Alex Wiltshire's Avatar Posted by Alex Wiltshire on Aug 03, 2015 // Hello Games
Hello, PlayStation.Blog! I’m Alex, from Hello Games. Hope you’re well! How’s your summer going? Ours? We’re kinda recovered from E3, where Sean showed off live No Man’s Sky gameplay for the first time. It has been a big relief that people seemed to like it. You can’t know just how scary it is to show a game as open-ended as No Man’s Sky live on a stage for an audience of millions.
Since then, we’ve also been super proud that IGN has devoted July’s IGN First to No Man’s Sky. We hope you’ve had a chance to see some of the amazing articles that they’ve published, maybe including this 18-minute video of Sean exploring a planet.
We’ve been thinking, though, that No Man’s Sky is pretty good at hiding its secrets, and that there there are some facts about the game that might not be so obvious — facts that help it all make sense, and come alive. So we’ve put together a list of 41 things about the game that you might not realize. We hope you enjoy them, and thanks so much for all your support.
It’s been so amazing to share with you what we’ve been doing over the past few months.
Things about space
The universe isn’t actually infinite
Computers don’t really do infinity very well. But there are 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 planets in the universe. If you visit each one for a single second, it will take you 585 billion years to see them all, so it may as well be.
No Man's Sky, Galactic Map
The universe isn’t random
Everything exists for a reason, and is governed by maths. Maths means every detail is always consistent and makes sense, the result of hundreds of rules we’ve made to make a sci-fi universe we want to explore. And anyway, computers just aren’t very good at random, either.
The universe isn’t stored on your hard disk or on server somewhere
The world around you is generated by your PS4 at the point you visit it. Leave and it’s all thrown away, but if you return it is generated again exactly as it was. This also means the game will be completely playable offline.
No Man’s Sky isn’t an MMO
The sheer size of the universe means that everyone is going to be super far apart, and it’s super unlikely that people will even visit the same planets.
There are bots exploring the universe right now
We have sent a set of bots out into the void to send back to us gifs of planets. We can quickly review the gifs, lots at a time, to see what kinds of things are out there, and ensure it’s varied and interesting.
No Man's Sky, Cave
Things about exploring
There isn’t a story to follow
There are no cutscenes or characters, but there is a big objective: getting to the center of the universe. We don’t want to tell you a story, we want you to tell your own. No Man’s Sky is about your journey.
You will make true discoveries
Be the first to visit a planet, or be the first to scan a species of creature, and you will be recorded as its discoverer when you upload it at a beacon for all the world to see. You can also choose to name them. (There will be filters!)
No Man's Sky, Monolith
The Atlas is everything everyone has ever discovered
The No Man’s Sky symbol stands for the database of all the things that players have discovered and chosen to share with the world. It’s perhaps the most important thing in the universe, and will contain findings that even we have no idea about.
You’ll find ancient artifacts and crashed ships
They may lead to you discovering new technologies, which can give your ship, suit, and multitool new or improved abilities.
A jetpack is an explorer’s best friend
It can get you out of all sorts of trouble, and take you to places you wouldn’t otherwise be able to access.
Things about planets
Planets are defined by their position in space
If they’re close to their sun they’ll tend to be more barren; further away and they’ll tend to be cold. The planets in between tend to be richer with life.
Most planets are barren
Few planets will be dense with plant life and animals. Most will be barren, but even barren planets can be sources of great wealth.
No Man's Sky, Montage 7
Planets can be toxic
Some planets are death traps, with radiation or other hazards that will kill you in minutes. To survive you’ll need to upgrade your suit.
Every distant mountain is a real place
No Man’s Sky doesn’t only generate the environment immediately around you. It also generates the whole planet at a lower level of detail, so every distant object on the horizon is a real place that you can go to.
Planets have days and nights
Fly down to the night side of a planet, and you’ll find the land in darkness. Different creatures will be awake while daytime creatures sleep.
Things about ships
It’s worth upgrading your ship
Ships offer varying capacity for being upgraded, whether speed, maneuverability, jump drive range, or weapon power.
You can only have one ship at a time
Choose a ship that suits what you want to do, whether trading (large cargo capacity), fighting (good speed and weapons) or exploring (a long jump drive distance). Want to do something new? You can always get a new one.
You’ll shop for new ships
Space stations sell a rolling stock of ships. If you see one you want, you’ll need to grab it before new stock comes in.
No Man's Sky, Space Station Tube
You won’t be left without a ship
If you die and have no money, a basic ship is always available for free. It won’t have a hyperdrive, but you’ll be able to fly to planets again to rebuild.
You need fuel
You can fly for as long as you like in a star system, but to make jumps between systems you’ll need hyperdrive fuel, which you can buy from space stations or mine from planet surfaces.
Things about combat
You can get a wanted level
Upsetting the balance of planets by mining them too heavily or killing creatures will see you being hunted down by the Sentinels, and attacking craft in space will attract the attention of the police. The more you do, the stronger they will retaliate.
The Sentinels aren’t everywhere
Not every planet is policed, making these lawless playgrounds valuable sources of resources.
Space is not quiet
Factions constantly vie for territory across the entire universe. Choose to help one faction and it may reward you. Attack another and it’ll remember. But you can also try to avoid conflict completely.
No Man's Sky, Blue Space
You can side with factions
If you’re friendly enough with a faction, it can provide you with support that might protect you as you face its rivals.
Your multitool is an adaptable weapon
Multitools have a basic firing mode, but some come with different, more powerful attacks, or you might find technologies to upgrade them.
Death isn’t the end
But it’s a problem. If you die on a planet, you’ll find yourself revived back at your ship having lost what you hadn’t stowed and discoveries you hadn’t uploaded. If you die in space, you find yourself revived at the nearest space station, without your ship, items and discoveries.
Things about creatures
Planets are populated by unique creatures
Creatures are procedurally generated, with wildly varying shapes, sizes, colorations, and behaviours. You will discover countless new species on your journey.
Animal calls are procedurally generated
We’ve created special software that models throats, allowing animal calls to be defined by the shape and sizes of their bodies. Every planet’s soundscape is unique.
Animals may attack you
But think twice about retaliating. If Sentinels see you kill a creature they’ll attack you. It’s often best to try to scare creatures or run away, and preserve the natural balance of the planet.
No Man's Sky, Underwater
Animals follow daily routines
They will go down to bodies of water to drink and sleep at night, while others will only come out at dark.
Some animals hunt others
You’ll see food chains in action, with species being predated by others. You might find that you’re far from being at the top of the chain.
Things about the economy
Units are the universe’s currency
You’ll earn Units for many things: selling resources at trading posts, shooting down pirates, uploading discoveries to the Atlas.
Market prices for resources vary
You might find lucrative trade routes, mining in one system and selling in another. It might be worth investing in a ship with lots of cargo space to take full advantage.
Space is busy with trade convoys
Freighters, led by capital ships, steadily travel along trade routes, sending ships down to trading posts as they go. You can choose to attack them and steal their resources, but you’ll find them heavily defended, and pirates might have the same idea…
No Man's Sky, Purple Space
Resources aren’t just for trading
You’ll need them to craft technologies into upgrades. The rarest resources can only be found in certain types of system.
Efficient mining requires certain upgrades
Your multitool can always destroy resource crystals, but you’ll need to upgrade it to mine resources held in harder rock. Perhaps there are technologies that will provide greater yields…
Things about the game
It has amazing music
65daysofstatic are Sean’s favorite band, and they’re making No Man’s Sky’s soundtrack album. We are incredibly excited about this.
We held a concert at PlayStation Experience
65daysofstatic came to Las Vegas with us and played a concert. It was incredible. Watch it here.

The music will be procedural
65daysofstatic’s soundtrack will be used to generate procedural music that’s influenced by where you are and what you’re doing. Full songs will play at specific points, but we’ll leave it to you to discover when and why…
No Man’s Sky was inspired by classic sci-fi
Especially those amazing, vibrant book covers, which presented a vision of a future that wasn’t grim and in which technology and exploration were points of hope.
Four people built what we showed for the announcement

61 - 80 of 637 Posts