Wrestling Forum banner

No freedom = no true "superstars"?

1301 Views 14 Replies 13 Participants Last post by  antdvda
I have a hard time imagining that the WWE will have a next true "mega-star" without allowing the talent to have artistic freedom on live tv.

Maybe they will be able to manufacture one strictly from a script but all the past greats created themselves onscreen.

They will certainly tell everybody that xyz wrestler is the greatest or biggest star, but only the true mega stars grow organically with the fan base.

They are setting the percentages very low for finding the next top guy by only allowing a select few to have artistic freedom.

Sent from my iPhone using VS Free
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Premium Member
9,943 Posts
They will keep trying to make one an4 when one finally takes off they'll say 'See we were right all along' except that they weren't because 15 guys before actually ha4 IT but weren't allowe4 to show IT.

I think they're going to be pushing Ryback to the moon Warrior or more recently Batista style. He'll be WHC mark my wor4s.

· Registered
18,863 Posts
2 biggest stories I've heard were Austin and Scott Hall/Razor Ramon who both(at diff times in history of course), pitched ideas for their character to Mr.McMahon. And look how both their careers turned out.

WWE probably even knows their writers suck, and if that's the case, why not let the superstars do part of the writing. It's not like you're gonna pay them extra to come up with ideas for their own character.

· Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
On top of that the WWE is so hamstrung by their current onscreen limitations that they not only disallow their talent to improvise, but their writers have to follow strict protocol.

Imagine having to script out PG violence every day.

· Premium Member
27,044 Posts
They will keep trying to make one an4 when one finally takes off they'll say 'See we were right all along' except that they weren't because 15 guys before actually ha4 IT but weren't allowe4 to show IT.

I think they're going to be pushing Ryback to the moon Warrior or more recently Batista style. He'll be WHC mark my wor4s.
what's with the lack of d's?

· Registered
2,592 Posts
You would think they would let guys have more freedom, considering many of their biggest stars were flukes. It's clear they had some significant intent with Steve Austin, but nobody could have predicted his popularity after that King of the Ring improv.

· FAKE HAPPY
Born to lose, live to win
15,398 Posts
It's hard for wrestlers with potential to break through, when EVERYTHING is going by the script. But I've got an idea. Line up all the guys, who don't get enough TV time, give them a microphone and 1 minute to cut a short promo. And then decide who to push or not.

· I am Jack's broken heart
7,564 Posts
Rock was given freedom to develop his character
Stone Cold was given freedom to create his character
Triple H was given freedom, and opted to create a persona of "Triple H" himself
Ric Flair on screen is basically Ric Flair in real life
Jericho at various points in his career came up and developed new things about his character that he pitched
Edge came up with the whole Rated R superstar thing
John Cena got over because he pitched an idea to Vince that he should start rapping

That about says it all. WWE needs to have faith in their wrestlers. Give them the right amount of control and freedom and they'll flourish. Proven fact. And I've always believed that from day one. That, AND the fact that lower/mid carder talent needs to approach creative and Vince and pitch more to them about the creative direction of their characters. No one knows how to handle you better then yourself. Especially not a 68 year old senile man.

· Registered
2,567 Posts
Exactly.They need to let the superstar did there things.Look Hawkins and Reks,they were the best tag team because they were doing there things and you could feel it.
You need to let the wrestlers do and says there things.They are wrestlers,not actors

· Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I wonder how long they will continue with this current policy...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.