Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all.

Was thinking about how most wrestling fans feel the titles in WWE (apart from the WWE Championship) seem undervalued, and are essentially just props these days.
Obviously the WWE storylines mostly focus around the WWE title, or John Cena, but the rest are mostly forgotten about.
A pet peev of mine is most championship storylines occur by a wrestler beating the current title holder in a non-title match, then getting a title shot on PPV.
But wouldn't it be better if they had to earn a chance? Imo, going through a no.1 contenders match, or even a tournament, would make the eventual prize seem a lot more rewarding and prestigious.
In the past, you could look to when Benoit/Booker T had a Best of 7 Series to earn a chance at a mid-card title, or when several teams would compete in a Tag Team Turmoil Match to get a shot at the tag titles, or when Jeff/RVD fought to see who would go for the Intercontinental title at Summerslam.
Surely if WWE held more no.1 contender matches, it would make all the titles seem worth going for.
I for one am a bit fed up of seeing R-Truth given random Intercontinental title shots, or Ziggler getting random U.S title shots.
In a time when the belts don't seem too important, I think this would help, and make us as an audience believe there are wrestlers who WANT to be IC/US/Tag champions.

Let me know what you guys think.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yeah i never understood the beating the champ in a non title match to earn the title match. It's no wonder there ppv buy rates are down, instead of watching the match on ppv we watch it on raw.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts