·
Le Champion
18,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
45,092 Posts
re: NJPW Southern Showdown in Australia - 6/29/19 & 6/30/19

We'll see if this will be treated as a tiny bit more of a destination show or if they'll be solid, general events that'll pop up on demand "x" amount of time after it happens.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts

I don't remember where, but I think I read somewhere that Melbourne will be streamed live while Sydney will be "X" amount of time after it happens.

·
Registered
45,092 Posts

I don't remember where, but I think I read somewhere that Melbourne will be streamed live while Sydney will be "X" amount of time after it happens.
Splitting the difference. I'll take it.

·
Registered
45,092 Posts
Full cards are out for both nights:

1) Toa Henare, Shota Umino, & Ren Narita vs Michael Richards, Mark Tui, & Andrew Villalobos

2) Slex vs Aaron Solow

3) CHAOS (Toru Yano, SHO, & YOH) vs BULLET CLUB (Gino Gambino, Gedo, & Taiji Ishimori)

4) CHAOS (Tomohiro Ishii & YOSHI-HASHI) vs BULLET CLUB (Yujiro Takahashi & Chase Owens)

5) Rocky Romero vs El Phantasmo

6) Guerrillas of Destiny (Tama Tonga & Tanga Loa) vs Juice Robinson & Mikey Nicholls

7) IWGP Junior Heavyweight Championship
Will Ospreay(c) vs Robbie Eagles

8) Hiroshi Tanahashi & Kazuchika Okada vs BULLET CLUB (Jay White & Bad Luck Fale)

1) Tome Filip & Stevie Filip vs Michael Richards & Andrew Villalobos

2) Rocky Romero vs Tony Kozina

3) Jack Bonza vs Mick Moretti

4) Chase Owens vs Aaron Solow

5) BULLET CLUB (Tama Tonga, Tanga Loa, & Gino Gambino) vs Toru Yano, Juice Robinson, & Mikey Nicholls

6) Tomohiro Ishii vs Toa Henare

7) Hiroshi Tanhashi, Kazuchika Okada, & Will Ospreay vs BULLET CLUB (Jay White, Bad Luck Fale, & Robbie Eagles)

Rocky vs Tony Kozina is so PWG 2003, I almost can't believe it's gonna happen in 2019.

I know I feel these look fun, influx of local talent/what I figure to be Fale students makes plenty of sense for the international tours. Ospreay vs Eagles II should be killer.

·
WF's #1 Mox fan.
23,551 Posts
Holy shit Michael Richards!! He's from my local indy promotion, IPW! The same promotion as Toa Henare and WWE's Dakota Kai! That's so cool.

·
Registered
5,560 Posts
I'm going to the Sydney show, and am feeling pretty damn shafted. I knew it was going to be a smaller show, I figured that meant just a smaller venue and downgraded in production a bit. Didn't realise it meant they were taking out a bunch of names for no apparent reason. I've never seen this in 14 years of attending wrestling shows- where an international company tours and just takes out a bunch of names.

Wrestlers doing Melbourne but not Sydney: Ishimori, Phantasmo, SHO, YOH, Narita, Umino, Gedo and Yujiro Takahashi.

There's Dojo students on both shows, but Sydney definitely getting more of them. Freaking Henare in the co-main? Melbourne gets a Ospreay vs. Eagles title match and we get Henare? He's decent but damn, he belongs in the opener... where, look, that's exactly where he is in Melbourne!

Outside of the CHAOS vs. Bullet Club main event, the only match I'm looking forward to is Bonza vs. Moretti. And I just saw them wrestle each other live at PWA four months ago.

Not worth the $100 I put down. I'd be livid if I bought front row tickets to this diet version of New Japan.

Ah well, at least the Melbourne crowd will be happy.

·
Registered
908 Posts
I'm going to the Sydney show, and am feeling pretty damn shafted. I knew it was going to be a smaller show, I figured that meant just a smaller venue and downgraded in production a bit. Didn't realise it meant they were taking out a bunch of names for no apparent reason. I've never seen this in 14 years of attending wrestling shows- where an international company tours and just takes out a bunch of names.

Wrestlers doing Melbourne but not Sydney: Ishimori, Phantasmo, SHO, YOH, Narita, Umino, Gedo and Yujiro Takahashi.

There's Dojo students on both shows, but Sydney definitely getting more of them. Freaking Henare in the co-main? Melbourne gets a Ospreay vs. Eagles title match and we get Henare? He's decent but damn, he belongs in the opener... where, look, that's exactly where he is in Melbourne!

Outside of the CHAOS vs. Bullet Club main event, the only match I'm looking forward to is Bonza vs. Moretti. And I just saw them wrestle each other live at PWA four months ago.

Not worth the $100 I put down. I'd be livid if I bought front row tickets to this diet version of New Japan.

Feel sorry for you man, we had a similar experience in the UK last year but at least we got Suzuki and Sabre vs Okada and Ishii. The show after ours had Sabre vs Okada and Ishii vs Suzuki... very lopsided booking. The first four matches are filled with no-name talent - no offence to the Australian guys but this should be NJPW not a try-out camp.

Is this being held as a co-promoted event like NJPWs UK shows last year? They were promoted as authentic shows but turned out to be Rev-Pro and NJPW combined. I can't say I would be amused if I were going to the Sydney show though you are right Melbourne sounds like a mildly better card. I think NJPW seriously need to realise that what they present in Japan and the way their markets work is NOT like it works in more westernised countries.

When a company presents a product in the UK at least we expect a top line product for the money we are paying. Its like going to Glastonbury and being given a middling act as a headliner with a load of local bands that play the clubs and bars as the warm ups. Not cool.

·
None. More. Hated.
6,105 Posts

A lot of people were saying they were gonna run Jay vs. Okada for the belt. But yeah, these cards are pretty freaking dull.

·
Registered
908 Posts
A lot of people were saying they were gonna run Jay vs. Okada for the belt. But yeah, these cards are pretty freaking dull.
The issue is that they are running talent that most people could see if they went to the local promotions for a fraction of the cost. Its not like they are having NJPW talent vs Australian, which would still be mis-selling if you ask me, it is local vs local in several of the matches. Unsure how they are getting away with that as a NJPW promoted show. Makes me thankful of the matches we got last year and I was furious then!

·
Registered
5,560 Posts
Feel sorry for you man, we had a similar experience in the UK last year but at least we got Suzuki and Sabre vs Okada and Ishii. The show after ours had Sabre vs Okada and Ishii vs Suzuki... very lopsided booking. The first four matches are filled with no-name talent - no offence to the Australian guys but this should be NJPW not a try-out camp.

Is this being held as a co-promoted event like NJPWs UK shows last year? They were promoted as authentic shows but turned out to be Rev-Pro and NJPW combined. I can't say I would be amused if I were going to the Sydney show though you are right Melbourne sounds like a mildly better card. I think NJPW seriously need to realise that what they present in Japan and the way their markets work is NOT like it works in more westernised countries.

When a company presents a product in the UK at least we expect a top line product for the money we are paying. Its like going to Glastonbury and being given a middling act as a headliner with a load of local bands that play the clubs and bars as the warm ups. Not cool.
It's being promoted as NJPW only, but yeah, LOT of local talent. Jack Bonza and Mick Moretti wrestled on last year's tour, they're among the best in the Aussie scene, but at least last year they wrestled NJPW talent. Moretti teamed with Robbie Eagles- who has since become a proper NJPW roster member to some degree, being in Bullet Club and participating in BOSJ- to face EVIL and SANADA, and Bonza went against Yuji Nagata.

Bonza and Moretti actually ran an angle promoting their NJPW match at Friday night's PWA show, where Bonza straight up said it was a tryout match for both guys. They're good, but yeah, I would rather see the NJPW guys.

I know the Filip Brothers from the Aussie indy scene, but no idea who their opponents are. Or the guy facing Rocky Romero. The guy facing Chase Owens, Aaron Solow, I believe he's been a 205/NXT jobber, but never in New Japan to my knowledge.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
When NJPW higher ups speak about bringing authentic NJPW experience this is what they mean. I'm sure that people would prefer to see NJPW undercard guys than local talent, but thats not how NJPW sees it. Most of the NJPW shows these days have 2-3 higher tier matches and then multimans to set up things for the future. You were not promised WK or Dominion card and you are not getting that.

Sucks, but I imagine they'll rather drop UK/AUS scene entirely than alter how they book the shows.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Sucks, but I imagine they'll rather drop UK/AUS scene entirely than alter how they book the shows.
both of those wrestling scenes need to sort themselves out or just bugger off, mate

·
Registered
908 Posts
When NJPW higher ups speak about bringing authentic NJPW experience this is what they mean. I'm sure that people would prefer to see NJPW undercard guys than local talent, but thats not how NJPW sees it. Most of the NJPW shows these days have 2-3 higher tier matches and then multimans to set up things for the future. You were not promised WK or Dominion card and you are not getting that.

With respect to NJPW if they can't provide what is being expected maybe that would be the better option. I wouldn't go into a market not knowing my audience/customer base.

I am unsure how you figure that these are how they book shows in Japan. Their shows are almost 100% rostered talent, they don't (to my knowledge) use a bunch of no-namers from local provinces on their standard house shows in Japan... though I may be wrong?

both of those wrestling scenes need to sort themselves out or just bugger off, mate
The UK scene is hot right now. The amount of talent being used in US and Japan that is from the UK is actually quite something, especially given the land mass of the area. That is why the WWE, NXT and NJPW are wanting into that market.

What do you mean exactly by sort themselves out?

·
Registered
5,560 Posts
I'm guessing you don't follow the Australian wrestling scene that closely, because it's gone from strength to strength in the last couple of years. Sydney's PWA and Melbourne's MCW in particular have picked up large followings, with successful streaming services, more international stars and successfully running larger venues than in years past. Starting to get more and more Aussies signed to either WWE or NJPW:

- Buddy Murphy
- The IIconics
- Rhea Ripley
- Toni Storm
- Robbie Eagles
- Jonah Rock
- Elliott Sexton
- Shane Thorne
- Gino Gambino
- Mikey Nicholls

And recently, JXT and Steph De Lander had WWE tryouts. Both Matty Wahlberg and Carter Deams have gone to the NJPW Dojo.

I don't know about the UK scene, but Australia doesn't need to sort themselves out at all, it's flourishing, better than it's ever been.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts