Wrestling Forum banner

61 - 80 of 151 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Finally the biggest and best wrestling tournament in the world for real wrestling fans is coming and i can't wait. I felt from the start that this year we get something different than we are used to. And the structure of matches only strengthens me in that. But first things first. A block is da bomb! Just replace Yujiro with better Takahashi and we have practically perfect block. But i understand that Hiromu is the ace of Junior's division and besides, i donť except basically nothing from Yujiro, so on positive site, i could be only nicely surprised. But still... If not Hiromu, than Nagata, Kojima or Honma, i think that all of them would be much better choice...

Anyway rest of the A block is fantastic and i mean including Taichi and Cobb. I think that both of them has a specific role and besides their styles add more diversity. After i made my complete predictions (see bellow if you like) to my own surprise i am pretty much convinced that Ospreay will win the block. If not him than White due to to the draw between Ospreay and Okada aka. G1 26 Finals style. But i doubt that Will will have more than ten points before his last match and Switchblade less - due to his strong booking - less than twelve. but we'll see...

Interesting situation in Block B. Real question of the tournament is if Gedo really pull the trigger with SANADA but everything point to that and while i would love Ibushi as a winner again i think that Sanada's triumph is right now the best choice. With regard to the structure of particular matches last day, history etc... i think that is a save bet to pick Sanada as a winner not only his block but whole G1. All the more so with covid in the air i doubt that they would let win any Gaijin...

In any case i expecting phenomenal tournament as usual with many changes from Gedo's usuall booking. For example i don't think that he will run his typical six winning streak for the champ fourth year in the row but still expecting strong start for Naito with couple of wins before he will dance with Sanada. Hell i expecting strong booking for the most participants in both blocks with exception of Yujiro, Taco and maybe Jeff Cobb. After all, here is my complete prediction :)

G1 CLIMAX 30 - Prediction

Day 1 (Block A)

Will Ospreay [2] defeats Yujiro Takahashi [0]

Taichi [2] defeats Jeff Cobb [0]

Minoru Suzuki [2] defeats Tomohiro Ishii [0]

Jay White [2] defeats Shingo Takagi [0]

Kota Ibushi [2] defeats Kazuchika Okada [0]

Day 2 (Block B)

Juice Robinson [2] defeats YOSHI-HASHI [0]

Toru Yano [2] defeats SANADA [0]

KENTA [2] defeats Hirooki Goto [0]

ZSJ [2] defeats EVIL [0]

Tetsuya Naito [2] defeats Hiroshi Tanahashi [0]

Day 3 (Block A)

Shingo Takagi [2] defeats Jeff Cobb [0]

Kazuchika Okada [2] defeats Yujiro Takahashi [0]

Minoru Suzuki [4] defeats Taichi [2]

Will Ospreay [2] defeats Tomohiro Ishii [0]

Jay White [4] defeats Kota Ibushi [2]

Day 4 (Block B)

EVIL [2] defeats YOSHI-HASHI [0]

Hirooki Goto [2] defeats SANADA [0]

Juice Robinson [2] defeats KENTA [2]

Hiroshi Tanahashi [2] defeats Toru Yano [2]

Tetsuya Naito [4] defeats ZSJ [2]

Day 5 (Block A)

Taichi [4] defeats Yujiro Takahashi [0]

Jeff Cobb [2] defeats Minoru Suzuki [4]

Tomohiro Ishii [2] defeats Kota Ibushi [2]

Shingo Takagi [4] defeats Will Ospreay [2]

Kazuchika Okada [4] defeats Jay White [4]

Day 6 (Block B)

SANADA [2] defeats YOSHI-HASHI [0]

EVIL [4] defeats Toru Yano [2]

KENTA [4] defeats ZSJ [2]

Hiroshi Tanahashi [4] defeats Juice Robinson [2]

Tetsuya Naito [6] defeats Hirooki Goto [2]

Day 7 (Block A)

Minoru Suzuki [6] defeats Yujiro Takahashi [0]

Kota Ibushi [4] defeats Jeff Cobb [2]

Kazuchika Okada [6] defeats TAICHI [4]

Will Ospreay [4] defeats Jay White [4]

Tomohiro Ishii [4] defeats Shingo Takagi [4]

Day 8 (Block B)

Toru Yano [4] defeats Juice Robinson [2]

ZSJ [4] defeats Hirooki Goto [2]

Hiroshi Tanahashi [6] defeats YOSHI-HASHI [0]

EVIL [6] defeats KENTA [4]

SANADA [4] defeats Tetsuya Naito [6]

Day 9 (Block A)

Shingo Takagi [6] defeats Yujiro Takahashi [0]

TAICHI [6] defeats Tomohiro Ishii [4]

Jay White [6] defeats Jeff Cobb [2]

Kazuchika Okada [8] defeats Minoru Suzuki [6]

Will Ospreay [8] defeats Kota Ibushi [6]

Day 10 (Block B)

Hirooki Goto [4] defeats Toru Yano [4]

SANADA [6] defeats ZSJ [4]

Juice Robinson [4] defeats EVIL [6]

Tetsuya Naito [8] defeats YOSHI-HASHI [0]

Hiroshi Tanahashi [8] defeats KENTA [4]

Day 11 (Block A)

Tomohiro Ishii [6] defeats Yujiro Takahashi [0]

Kazuchika Okada [10] defeats Jeff Cobb [2]

Minoru Suzuki [8] defeats Will Ospreay [8]

Jay White [8] defeats TAICHI [6]

Kota Ibushi [8] defeats Shingo Takagi [6]

Day 12 (Block B)

ZSJ [6] defeats Toru Yano [4]

YOSHI-HASHI [2] defeats Hirooki Goto [4]

KENTA [6] defeats SANADA [6]

Tetsuya Naito [10] defeats Juice Robinson [4]

EVIL [8] defeats Hiroshi Tanahashi [8]

Day 13 (Block A)

Jeff Cobb [4] defeats Tomohiro Ishii [6]

Jay White [10] defeats Yujiro Takahashi [0]

Will Ospreay [10] defeats TAICHI [6]

Kota Ibushi [10] defeats Minoru Suzuki [8]

Kazuchika Okada [12] defeats Shingo Takagi [6]

Day 14 (Block B)

ZSJ [8] defeats Yoshi-Hashi [2]

Toru Yano [6] defeats Kenta [6]

Juice Robinson [6] defeats SANADA [6]

Hiroshi Tanahashi [10] defeats Hirooki Goto [4]

EVIL [10] defeats Tetsuya Naito [10]

Day 15 (Block A)

Jeff Cobb [6] defeats Will Ospreay [10]

Kota Ibushi [12] defeats Yujiro Takahashi [0]

Shingo Takagi [8] defeats Taichi [6]

Jay White [12] defeats Minoru Suzuki [8]

Tomohiro Ishii [8] defeats Kazuchika Okada [12]

Day 16 (Block B)

Kenta [8] defeats Yoshi-Hashi [2]

Juice Robinson [8] defeats ZSJ [8]

Toru Yano [8] defeats Tetsuya Naito [10]

Hirooki Goto [6] defeats EVIL [10]

SANADA [8] defeats Hiroshi Tanahashi [10]

Day 17 (Block A)

Yujiro Takahashi [2] defeats Jeff Cobb [6]

Shingo Takagi [10] defeats Minoru Suzuki [8]

Taichi [8] defeats Kota Ibushi [12]

Tomohiro Ishii [10] defeats Jay White [12]

Will Ospreay [12] defeats Kazuchika Okada [12]

Day 18 (Block B)

Yoshi-Hashi [4] defeats Toru Yano [8]

Hirooki Goto [8] defeats Juice Robinson [8]

ZSJ [10] defeats Hiroshi Tanahashi [10]

Kenta [10] defeats Tetsuya Naito [10]

SANADA [10] defeats EVIL [10]

Day 19 (Finals)

Sanada defeats Will Ospreay to win G1 Climax 30!

·
Registered
920 Posts
I'll go with Okada versus Evil in the finals with Okada going over.
I really don't see any lesser talents winning it but I may be way off. I initially thought Okada vs Sanada with Sanada going over but I simply don't see as WK main event worthy at this stage.
Ospreay being in the finals sounds mental to me - he may be a great worker but I don't see him in that position. Then again I didn't see EVIL in that position so who knows!

My idea would be Shingo winning it but that's almost impossible. I am going with who I think they will go with not who I want to win. Okada is a steady hand.

·
Registered
25,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Honestly given the uncertainty with everything going on right now with Covid and everything else it really makes this year's G1 really unpredictable.

The weird thing about this year's G1 is that will end in mid October, so after that there's really only 2 1/2 months until Wrestle Kingdom. So I imagine that even the guys who are returning and will probably go back home after the tournament, they will set up a bunch of matches for WK when all of those guys will come back again.

As for who wins....man, I don't know. I know people are picking Sanada. But I just can't say they're gonna go all the way with him yet when it doesn't feel like they've put that much stock into him compared to others lately. Though I know his matches with Okada have done good business, so he's certainly in the discussion. Naito as champ pretty much rules him out. Tana has been hobbling through all of his matches lately as part of the story so I don't see him surviving the whole thing. I would say the most likeliest winners are Okada, Sanada, and Ibushi with White as a dark horse.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Finally the biggest and best wrestling tournament in the world for real wrestling fans is coming and i can't wait. I felt from the start that this year we get something different than we are used to. And the structure of matches only strengthens me in that. But first things first. A block is da bomb! Just replace Yujiro with better Takahashi and we have practically perfect block. But i understand that Hiromu is the ace of Junior's division and besides, i donť except basically nothing from Yujiro, so on positive site, i could be only nicely surprised. But still... If not Hiromu, than Nagata, Kojima or Honma, i think that all of them would be much better choice...

Anyway rest of the A block is fantastic and i mean including Taichi and Cobb. I think that both of them has a specific role and besides their styles add more diversity. After i made my complete predictions (see bellow if you like) to my own surprise i am pretty much convinced that Ospreay will win the block. If not him than White due to to the draw between Ospreay and Okada aka. G1 26 Finals style. But i doubt that Will will have more than ten points before his last match and Switchblade less - due to his strong booking - less than twelve. but we'll see...

Interesting situation in Block B. Real question of the tournament is if Gedo really pull the trigger with SANADA but everything point to that and while i would love Ibushi as a winner again i think that Sanada's triumph is right now the best choice. With regard to the structure of particular matches last day, history etc... i think that is a save bet to pick Sanada as a winner not only his block but whole G1. All the more so with covid in the air i doubt that they would let win any Gaijin...

In any case i expecting phenomenal tournament as usual with many changes from Gedo's usuall booking. For example i don't think that he will run his typical six winning streak for the champ fourth year in the row but still expecting strong start for Naito with couple of wins before he will dance with Sanada. Hell i expecting strong booking for the most participants in both blocks with exception of Yujiro, Taco and maybe Jeff Cobb. After all, here is my complete prediction :)

G1 CLIMAX 30 - Prediction

Day 1 (Block A)

Will Ospreay [2] defeats Yujiro Takahashi [0]

Taichi [2] defeats Jeff Cobb [0]

Minoru Suzuki [2] defeats Tomohiro Ishii [0]

Jay White [2] defeats Shingo Takagi [0]

Kota Ibushi [2] defeats Kazuchika Okada [0]

Day 2 (Block B)

Juice Robinson [2] defeats YOSHI-HASHI [0]

Toru Yano [2] defeats SANADA [0]

KENTA [2] defeats Hirooki Goto [0]

ZSJ [2] defeats EVIL [0]

Tetsuya Naito [2] defeats Hiroshi Tanahashi [0]

Day 3 (Block A)

Shingo Takagi [2] defeats Jeff Cobb [0]

Kazuchika Okada [2] defeats Yujiro Takahashi [0]

Minoru Suzuki [4] defeats Taichi [2]

Will Ospreay [2] defeats Tomohiro Ishii [0]

Jay White [4] defeats Kota Ibushi [2]

Day 4 (Block B)

EVIL [2] defeats YOSHI-HASHI [0]

Hirooki Goto [2] defeats SANADA [0]

Juice Robinson [2] defeats KENTA [2]

Hiroshi Tanahashi [2] defeats Toru Yano [2]

Tetsuya Naito [4] defeats ZSJ [2]

Day 5 (Block A)

Taichi [4] defeats Yujiro Takahashi [0]

Jeff Cobb [2] defeats Minoru Suzuki [4]

Tomohiro Ishii [2] defeats Kota Ibushi [2]

Shingo Takagi [4] defeats Will Ospreay [2]

Kazuchika Okada [4] defeats Jay White [4]

Day 6 (Block B)

SANADA [2] defeats YOSHI-HASHI [0]

EVIL [4] defeats Toru Yano [2]

KENTA [4] defeats ZSJ [2]

Hiroshi Tanahashi [4] defeats Juice Robinson [2]

Tetsuya Naito [6] defeats Hirooki Goto [2]

Day 7 (Block A)

Minoru Suzuki [6] defeats Yujiro Takahashi [0]

Kota Ibushi [4] defeats Jeff Cobb [2]

Kazuchika Okada [6] defeats TAICHI [4]

Will Ospreay [4] defeats Jay White [4]

Tomohiro Ishii [4] defeats Shingo Takagi [4]

Day 8 (Block B)

Toru Yano [4] defeats Juice Robinson [2]

ZSJ [4] defeats Hirooki Goto [2]

Hiroshi Tanahashi [6] defeats YOSHI-HASHI [0]

EVIL [6] defeats KENTA [4]

SANADA [4] defeats Tetsuya Naito [6]

Day 9 (Block A)

Shingo Takagi [6] defeats Yujiro Takahashi [0]

TAICHI [6] defeats Tomohiro Ishii [4]

Jay White [6] defeats Jeff Cobb [2]

Kazuchika Okada [8] defeats Minoru Suzuki [6]

Will Ospreay [8] defeats Kota Ibushi [6]

Day 10 (Block B)

Hirooki Goto [4] defeats Toru Yano [4]

SANADA [6] defeats ZSJ [4]

Juice Robinson [4] defeats EVIL [6]

Tetsuya Naito [8] defeats YOSHI-HASHI [0]

Hiroshi Tanahashi [8] defeats KENTA [4]

Day 11 (Block A)

Tomohiro Ishii [6] defeats Yujiro Takahashi [0]

Kazuchika Okada [10] defeats Jeff Cobb [2]

Minoru Suzuki [8] defeats Will Ospreay [8]

Jay White [8] defeats TAICHI [6]

Kota Ibushi [8] defeats Shingo Takagi [6]

Day 12 (Block B)

ZSJ [6] defeats Toru Yano [4]

YOSHI-HASHI [2] defeats Hirooki Goto [4]

KENTA [6] defeats SANADA [6]

Tetsuya Naito [10] defeats Juice Robinson [4]

EVIL [8] defeats Hiroshi Tanahashi [8]

Day 13 (Block A)

Jeff Cobb [4] defeats Tomohiro Ishii [6]

Jay White [10] defeats Yujiro Takahashi [0]

Will Ospreay [10] defeats TAICHI [6]

Kota Ibushi [10] defeats Minoru Suzuki [8]

Kazuchika Okada [12] defeats Shingo Takagi [6]

Day 14 (Block B)

ZSJ [8] defeats Yoshi-Hashi [2]

Toru Yano [6] defeats Kenta [6]

Juice Robinson [6] defeats SANADA [6]

Hiroshi Tanahashi [10] defeats Hirooki Goto [4]

EVIL [10] defeats Tetsuya Naito [10]

Day 15 (Block A)

Jeff Cobb [6] defeats Will Ospreay [10]

Kota Ibushi [12] defeats Yujiro Takahashi [0]

Shingo Takagi [8] defeats Taichi [6]

Jay White [12] defeats Minoru Suzuki [8]

Tomohiro Ishii [8] defeats Kazuchika Okada [12]

Day 16 (Block B)

Kenta [8] defeats Yoshi-Hashi [2]

Juice Robinson [8] defeats ZSJ [8]

Toru Yano [8] defeats Tetsuya Naito [10]

Hirooki Goto [6] defeats EVIL [10]

SANADA [8] defeats Hiroshi Tanahashi [10]

Day 17 (Block A)

Yujiro Takahashi [2] defeats Jeff Cobb [6]

Shingo Takagi [10] defeats Minoru Suzuki [8]

Taichi [8] defeats Kota Ibushi [12]

Tomohiro Ishii [10] defeats Jay White [12]

Will Ospreay [12] defeats Kazuchika Okada [12]

Day 18 (Block B)

Yoshi-Hashi [4] defeats Toru Yano [8]

Hirooki Goto [8] defeats Juice Robinson [8]

ZSJ [10] defeats Hiroshi Tanahashi [10]

Kenta [10] defeats Tetsuya Naito [10]

SANADA [10] defeats EVIL [10]

Day 19 (Finals)

Sanada defeats Will Ospreay to win G1 Climax 30!
Wow you really went all out with some detail here my man! I might do a full on one like you did too if I get time.
Skimming through most of your wins and point totals look like they would be pretty similar to what I would pick.

This G1 is looking to be lit up y'all! It's hard to even pick a winner here. I think Okada and White have the highest chances. I think SANADA, Osprey, EVIL, Ibushi, Naito have good chances to take it. I think Taichi, ZSJ, Shingo, KENTA have so-so chances of winning with Shingo being the highest probable of that group. Can't see anyone else winning it besides those names but from that lot it is hard to pick a solid for sure winner. The easier way to do it I think would be to preict the WK main event.

Do they do Naito vs Okada at WK? Naito vs Ibushi? Naito vs Whito? Naito vs SANADA? Naito vs Osprey? Naito vs Shingo? They already did Naito vs EVIL and Naito vs KENTA, Naito vs Taichi ahs been done to death. Naito vs ZSJ would be fresh but not seeing it for a Wrestlemania Kingdom Main Event. So that deduces things down a bit so only real probable winners here....

Goat-Kada
Ibushi
Whito
SANADA
Spray
Shingo

Now what would be the most epic match they could do at WK OR what would be a solid Main Event and a Fire ass IC title match.

Naito vs Ibushi - Would be great stuff but we've seen it a bit already plus I don't think they ever do back to back G1 winners except for once or twice the entire history.

Naito vs Okada - Sure good stuff but I think they will keep it off Goat-Kada till maybe Dominion next year.

Naito vs Spray - Would be pretty fresh and maybe they push Spray as Omega 2.0, could be huge get for Osprey and it would be a great match but would need a strong IC co-main to boost it up.

Naito vs SANADA - Would be good stuff here too but as some have said I don't think SANADA will get that big rub quite yet and if I remember hearing right SANADA hasn't signed a contract with them so that might be why they don't put the strap on him. This would also need a strong IC co-main.

Naito vs Whito - Was done and they had some decent matches but this would definitely need a strong co-main.

Naito vs Shingo - Has had a trickle build with Shingo saying he's the main champ of NJPW, was the boss of Dragon Gate pretty much and would be a fantastic match similar to how Naito vs SANADA would be but would also need a strong co-main.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Wow you really went all out with some detail here my man! I might do a full on one like you did too if I get time.
Skimming through most of your wins and point totals look like they would be pretty similar to what I would pick.

This G1 is looking to be lit up y'all! It's hard to even pick a winner here. I think Okada and White have the highest chances. I think SANADA, Osprey, EVIL, Ibushi, Naito have good chances to take it. I think Taichi, ZSJ, Shingo, KENTA have so-so chances of winning with Shingo being the highest probable of that group. Can't see anyone else winning it besides those names but from that lot it is hard to pick a solid for sure winner. The easier way to do it I think would be to preict the WK main event.

Do they do Naito vs Okada at WK? Naito vs Ibushi? Naito vs Whito? Naito vs SANADA? Naito vs Osprey? Naito vs Shingo? They already did Naito vs EVIL and Naito vs KENTA, Naito vs Taichi ahs been done to death. Naito vs ZSJ would be fresh but not seeing it for a Wrestlemania Kingdom Main Event. So that deduces things down a bit so only real probable winners here....

Goat-Kada
Ibushi
Whito
SANADA
Spray
Shingo

Now what would be the most epic match they could do at WK OR what would be a solid Main Event and a Fire ass IC title match.

Naito vs Ibushi - Would be great stuff but we've seen it a bit already plus I don't think they ever do back to back G1 winners except for once or twice the entire history.

Naito vs Okada - Sure good stuff but I think they will keep it off Goat-Kada till maybe Dominion next year.

Naito vs Spray - Would be pretty fresh and maybe they push Spray as Omega 2.0, could be huge get for Osprey and it would be a great match but would need a strong IC co-main to boost it up.

Naito vs SANADA - Would be good stuff here too but as some have said I don't think SANADA will get that big rub quite yet and if I remember hearing right SANADA hasn't signed a contract with them so that might be why they don't put the strap on him. This would also need a strong IC co-main.

Naito vs Whito - Was done and they had some decent matches but this would definitely need a strong co-main.

Naito vs Shingo - Has had a trickle build with Shingo saying he's the main champ of NJPW, was the boss of Dragon Gate pretty much and would be a fantastic match similar to how Naito vs SANADA would be but would also need a strong co-main.s

Thanks for comment. All good points there. Honestly i totally forget about SANADA's situation with the contract which makes this G1 even more unpredictable. All possible ME's you mentioned would be great, no doubt, but as you mentioned, some of them would needed a strong co-main event. Fortunally WK is never one match show and everything right now screams for making a new big stars and it's a perfect time and place for that. Look at Kenny four years ago. At the beginning of the tour almost no one predicted his triumph in the G1, especially after losing his first match against Taco and ironically even less people expected that he will win against Naito in final match of the block. I think that in NJPW stratospere Star power is a factor that couldn't be improved better than in G1 tournament...

On the other hand we cant ignore establish participants with more than enough star power. Tbh before i saw complete schedule i had even MiSu on the board. Because why not. He is one of worst enemies of one of most overrated factors in wrestling world: AGE. Besides he still has credibility, star power and is more menacing than anybody else. Also this involvement in the tour is probably his last so why not give him reward which he undoubtedly deserves. Main Event in Dome at his age would be a sensation and also satisfaction...

That being said, him pairing with Shingo last day pretty much exludes that option. Speaking of Takagi. His similar case as SANADA but little lower than him altough i definitely expect strong showcase from him and for sure could be big time player in the near future... As for the others you mentioned, Ospreay would be very interesting choice but like i wrote due to the situation with covid and ucertain traffic i don't think that they will let Gaijin win. Otehrwise i would probably pick Switchblade as a winner this year...

One can't never leave Okada from that type of conversation (all the more so that his last and only win of the G1 was in 2014) but him winning and fighting versus Tranquilo again at Dome would be very anticlimatic at this point. His return to the throne will come, don't worry, he's got damm Okada :D Something similar i would say about Ibushi. In other circumstances i would definitely picked him as a favour and personally i think that no one deserve big gold more than him right now (I do not say intentionally Main Event at WK), but right now is fair to give chance someone else (new) to shining in Main Event in Tokyo. Major issue that right now people would't buy that someone like SANADA, Takagi, EVIL, KENTA or Ospreay will beat Naito in their biggest show so it's neccesary book them really strong. This will make this year's tournament even more interesting :)

Last but not least there is one more very possible winner. Tetsuya Naito. Again. Why not? Why should't champ win the tournament, he's the champ and champs winning. Partially i expect Naito's winning and i would expecting even more if Naito wouldn't fight against KENTA last day. That makes Naitos win less possible but maybe that's a Gedo plan. Something tells me that in the end Gedo totally fools most of us, lol.

But one thing which is - to general satisfaction - pretty much guaranteed is that this is gonna be hell of a tournament. And less predictability makes it even better ;)

·
Registered
233 Posts

Goat-Kada
Ibushi
Whito
SANADA
Spray
Shingo

Naito vs Shingo - Has had a trickle build with Shingo saying he's the main champ of NJPW, was the boss of Dragon Gate pretty much and would be a fantastic match similar to how Naito vs SANADA would be but would also need a strong co-main.
For me, Naito vs Ibushi will happen next year for the title but not at WK. I can see Ibushi winning at dominion or some other big event just before G1 but all signs doesn't point to him chasing a singles title.

Naito vs Okada: It's THE money match and I think holding it off until crowds can return fully (WK16 hopefully) is better.

Naito vs Ospreay: A fresh match. With attendance likely being limited to maybe 15-20K, Ospreay vs Naito can easily main event with a strong card. I think NJPW are clearly setting up some great singles feud like Ibushi vs Tanahashi, Shingo vs Suzuki, Okada vs White, EVIL vs SANADA that Ospreay wouldn't be expected to be THE main draw. It's unlikely but if Gedo pulls the trigger, wouldn't surprise me.

Naito vs SANADA: Fresh matchup. With covid limiting the foreigners from coming in, Naito vs SANADA would definitely draw the domestic fans. If Okada vs SANADA can draw 9500 in a typhoon, I have no doubt they can draw 15 to 20K easily especially since as I mentioned, NJPW seems to be setting up some potential big singles feud.

Naito vs White: seems obvious but I can do without them facing each other again.Not saying their matches are bad at all but eh, I don't feel it as a main event.

Naito vs Shingo: Lol. Not happening at WK. Shingo will most likely win back the NEVER title from Suzuki after G1.I don't deny Shingo is fantastic but fans need to temper their expectations with Shingo especially after Shingo got eliminated in the 1st round of NJC while everyone kept on fantasizing about Shingo three belts.

·
Registered
966 Posts
To echo everyone else's thoughts, yeah it's SO unpredictable. I did a full pick'ems over on Reddit, and I think I picked pretty smartly but I just know Gedo is gonna fuck me over...

I've got Ospreay winning A Block to face Sanada in the finals, with Sanada going over. I'm not that confident in NJPW giving Sanada the big push, but it does feel like some new stars are needed, and while you could use the G1 to cement EVIL as a main eventer, I don't think EVIL/Naito is a Dome-worthy main, especially as their recent match wasn't terribly noteworthy.

Any predictions for MOTT? Shingo vs Ibushi could be all kinds of greatness.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
I think we shouldn't write out Naito winning it and calling out Hiromu. They had that match ready for Anniversary show, but It does feel like it not happening back then made it a bigger deal now and it could probably main 15-20k show if rest of the card is strong. And its WK, so it should have a strong card.

·
None. More. Hated.
6,921 Posts
I wouldn't worry about a gaijin not winning because of COVID. If Gedo has one booked to win G1, Im sure that said talent will be committed to live in Japan for at least past WK and theyll make it work.

On a side note, an interesting thing I read on Reddit was that usually the champion main events the final night of block action. Which could mean Naito vs. Kenta is the final match? Which would throw a lot of shit out of whack. Lol

·
Registered
6,677 Posts
I think we shouldn't write out Naito winning it and calling out Hiromu. They had that match ready for Anniversary show, but It does feel like it not happening back then made it a bigger deal now and it could probably main 15-20k show if rest of the card is strong. And its WK, so it should have a strong card.
This was my thinking as well

·
Registered
101 Posts
That would be amazing, i would love it, but i really can't see Hiromu main eventing Tokyo Dome (yet).
But Naito could win G1 and then choose 2 opponents for WK - Hiromu as challenger for his IC Title and maybe SANADA or Shingo (especially if one of those two loses his chance to reach the G1 finals only due to some Bullet Club fuckery for instance) for the Heavyweight Championship.

Reactions: DammitChrist

·
Registered
25,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
I wouldn't worry about a gaijin not winning because of COVID. If Gedo has one booked to win G1, Im sure that said talent will be committed to live in Japan for at least past WK and theyll make it work.

On a side note, an interesting thing I read on Reddit was that usually the champion main events the final night of block action. Which could mean Naito vs. Kenta is the final match? Which would throw a lot of shit out of whack. Lol
If that does happen, could be a Goto situation from 2016 where Okada and Tana wrestled to a draw and Goto advanced because of it. Could do something similar with Sanada and more still being alive by the time the main event happens. Though the idea of a 30 minute draw with Naito and Kenta is not a good one, lol.

·
Used to be a Dreamer, Dreamin' of a Fire
6,496 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised if they gave Okada his third G1 win tbh. I mean if he's gonna make history and break Chono's record he's gotta get a move on.

I agree with those saying that Sanada is looking poised though with NJPW there's a tendency to nod to the future (Ibushi winning last year) and then reverting to the status quo (one of the big four winning of Okada, Naito, Tana or Jay White) so I will ultimately be surprised if Sanada breaks through. To be fair to them 2019 and 2020 has been consistently bold and cutting against the grain of the status quo. I'm just looking at their history from a macro level. Shingo is a definite no but I expect he'll have a strong showing, perhaps being a block finalist.

I still have nightmares about ZSJ dominating the NJ Cup a few years ago and I wouldn't object at all to the Vegan Hydra coming back in full force and running amok but that's just me dreaming. HOWEVER... the history between ZSJ and Naito IS there lol so I expect Naito to lose to Zack to set up a title defense.

No matter what happens I think Naito vs Ibushi is the Dome match that makes sense. People will tune in to watch these two rack up attempted murder charges on one another. Yankees vs Red Sox. Then again Sanada vs Naito is also a fucking MATCH. Cubs vs White Sox an All LIJ Dome Main Event...

Anyway after all this rambling my shot in the dark prediction is Ibushi vs Sanada final with Ibushi making history as the first back to back G1 winner since Tenzan in 2004 and only the 3rd man in history to do so

·
Currently lying down wearing a blue suit
11,316 Posts
We're a little over a day left until this G1 Climax tournament begins, fellas!

I'm excited that I'll actually be able to see the whole tournament entirely :D

Let's try to keep this thread really active! I enjoy these discusssions.

Hopefully, we get to see plenty of great performances from many of the G1 participants :)

·
Registered
682 Posts
I still dont see Naito vs Hiromu as a main event at WK, he COULD maybe defend it against him at KOPW or the November event to give him a filler before WK.

We're a little over a day left until this G1 Climax tournament begins, fellas!

I'm excited that I'll actually be able to see the whole tournament entirely :D

Let's try to keep this thread really active! I enjoy these discusssions.

Hopefully, we get to see plenty of great performances from many of the G1 participants :)
I like the discussions too, would be nice to get more people in here talking shop but not a lot of NJ fans on these bards except about the same 5 or 6 or so that reply. We'll definitely get some great matches. Who's your Day 1 and Day 2 Predictions?

I'm going to play the predictions game all G1 to see what percentage I can get right. I think my best was around 65% in 2017 and I'll try to beat that this year even though this year is more unpredictable.

Day 1 Predictions.
-Will Ospreay over Yujiro Takahashi - I almost went Takahashi since there's always an "oh sh*t! Can't believe he won!" on the first day but I'll go with Spray to make him look strong right off.
-Jeff Cobb over Taichi - Think they'll get Cobb looking strong right off and also a minor upset
-Minoru Suzuki over Tomohiro Ishii - Almost went Ishii to set up Suzuki first NEVER defense
-Shingo Takagi over Jay White - Give Shingo a big boost out of the gate and would be a minor upset
-Kota Ibushi over Kazuchika Okada - Avenge the loss from last year WK

Day 2
-YOSHI-HASHI over Juice Robinson - Give Yoshi-Hashi a bit of a rub here
-Toru Yano over SANADA - Need that upset and it's Yano, he can beat anyone without hurting them
-Hirooki Goto over KENTA - Avenge the loss of his last match with him.
-EVIL over Zack Sabre Jr. - Almost went Zack but I think they start EVIL strong.
-Tanahashi over Naito - Don't really want to go this route but I think it would set up a good defense on the way to WK, I might change this after Day 1.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Soon. Its here!

Day 1 Predictions:
-Will Ospreay def. Takahashi
Has to. Ospreay should be 3rd favourite for the block so needs a strong opener.

- Taichi def. Cobb
With Ospreay winning, can't see Cobb winning to. Taichi is another I can see finishing high in the group and can see defeating Ospreay, Ibushi and even Okada later on.

- Ishii def. Suzuki
Sets up 1st defence for Suzuki and gives Ishii the win. Hoping for epic Suzuki defences with no interference in this Never reign and vs Ishii at next PPV post G1 would be a great follow up to his win over Shingo.

-Shingo def. White
1st shock for Night 1 and helps build up Shingo to. Plus sets up further friction in Bullet Club (with White losing) with potential Evil getting to finals via Block B, and losing to LIJ member.

- Ibushi def. Okada
Has to happen. This year Okada needs to have a poor G1, in my opinion, to help with the unpredictable and also help build up most of the upper "young" roster eg Ospreay, Taichi, White, Shingo and Ibushi.

·
Registered
25,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
Almost G1 time. Time for Day 1 predictions:

*Ospreay over Yujiro. Seems farirly obvious, I don't see Yujiro getting many wins int this block.

*Cobb over Taichi: I don't see Cobb getting that many wins in this stacked block, so I imagine this will be one of them.

*Ishii over Suzuki: A toss up really. I'll pick Ishii to set up a later match for the NO Title.

*White over Shingo: A good win for White for his first match in months.

*Ibushi over Okada: A reverse of the decision at their WK match.

I like the discussions too, would be nice to get more people in here talking shop but not a lot of NJ fans on these bards except about the same 5 or 6 or so that reply. We'll definitely get some great matches. Who's your Day 1 and Day 2 Predictions?
Well, we used to have more people in here, then the shitty site update happened. And that pesky pandemic didn't help either.

·
None. More. Hated.
6,921 Posts
Ospreay over Big Yuj.

Cobb over. Taichi.

Ishii over Suzuki but could go either way.

White over Shingo..I see a lot of people picking Shingo, but White has Okada, Ospreay, and Ibushi in a row right after this and hes gonna lose at least 2 of those and I dont see him starting 1-3 again. Although itll be interesting to see how they play the gaijins returning early in the tourney. You can go with the, "they're super fresh compared to the Japanese guys", or you can go with them having major ring rust and getting caught.

Ibushi over Okada.

·
Le Champion
18,785 Posts
This starts tomorrow and I'm not prepared at all. :LOL: Too many sports goin on all at the same time!

61 - 80 of 151 Posts