Wrestling Forum banner

41 - 60 of 159 Posts

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
I think the L.I.J. theme continues this year, meaning:
  • Shingo wins Block A
  • Either Naito, SANADA or EVIL wins Block B
  • Shingo wins in the finals if its against SANADA, but loses if its against Naito or EVIL
  • My overall pick to win this year is Naito, who will pick Ibushi to be his WK15 opponent. Since that was the only matchup that did not happen in the WK 14 mini tourney.
  • Facepalm if the G1 finals is Okada vs Naito

·
JANUARY 5TH
4,190 Posts
EVIL vs Okada for the G1 Final and the rematch from the finals of the NJ Cup.

Okada gets his revenge and face Naito at the Wrestle Kingdom. If they hadn't realize the dumbness of the KOPW gimmick and actually went with Okada as the winner, he would be busy with that come January 4th. That would have free up someone like Tana to face Naito. Since that is not the case, Okada vs Naito is going to be the main event I am guessing.

·
None. More. Hated.
6,944 Posts
Early pick is Okada wins and they do Okada vs. Naito at WK. Then at WK your 3 big matches are:

Okada vs. Naito

Ibushi vs. Tanahashi

White vs. Evil

Of course when they release the schedule, the final nights matches are pretty much always a dead giveaway. Especially for block B, since A has more legitimate potential winners.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Early pick is Okada wins and they do Okada vs. Naito at WK. Then at WK your 3 big matches are:

Okada vs. Naito

Ibushi vs. Tanahashi

White vs. Evil

Of course when they release the schedule, the final nights matches are pretty much always a dead giveaway. Especially for block B, since A has more legitimate potential winners.
Yeah that's always a bummer and makes it predictable but we could always ignore that part and just watch the shows as they come on and not read the list of matches ahead of time.

·
Registered
233 Posts
SANADA vs White is my finals though Okada vs SANADA is another possibility.

I just think SANADA's gonna get a good G1 run to elevate him further after they just elevated EVIL. Whether he wins or not is uncertain but I'm confident he's winning block B.

As for winners, Okada or White would be underwhelming. OKada vs Naito again feels too soon and so is White vs Naito. Anyway, I doubt Naito's dropping the belt at WK as many Jay White fans seem to think.

·
Le Champion
18,785 Posts
B Block is gonna be very very interesting for Naito. Literally everyone in that block he has a history with as a longtime rival aside from SANADA. Curious to see how strong they book him and if he can get past all those guys he's faced so many times before. If theres's someone I'd wanna see beat him to earn an IWGP shot before WK it would be Tana or ZSJ.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
I hope it is Juice, his entire 2020 has been rather shit even before Covid happened. Guy needs to get back on track, while someone like ZSJ can still get some featured tag titles matches.

·
None. More. Hated.
6,944 Posts
SANADA vs White is my finals though Okada vs SANADA is another possibility.

I just think SANADA's gonna get a good G1 run to elevate him further after they just elevated EVIL. Whether he wins or not is uncertain but I'm confident he's winning block B.

As for winners, Okada or White would be underwhelming. OKada vs Naito again feels too soon and so is White vs Naito. Anyway, I doubt Naito's dropping the belt at WK as many Jay White fans seem to think.
I want Jay to win, but the block doesnt look good for him. NJPWs booking a lot of times goes 50/50, rarely does one guy win 2 in a row over the other. Jay beat Ibushi last time they faced, beat Ospreay, beat Taichi, beat Shingo, beat Cobb, and he holds a 2-1 edge on Okada and Okadas never beaten him in Japan. I think the block is his or Okadas. If Okada vs. White is scheduled on the final block night it would pretty much be a giveaway.

·
Currently lying down wearing a blue suit
11,325 Posts
This is going to be my first time watching the ENTIRE G1 tournament (unlike last year where I picked and chose some compelling G1 matches) this year, so I'm really excited to see how everything will go down here! :D

The A-Block looks fucking awesome and stacked with great match-ups whereas the B-Block has the potential to produce some surprising gems in that field.

I'll be cool with most of the names winning the G1 tournament this year, but I'm low-key pulling for someone like Sanada to win it. I won't be expecting anything though because NJPW can be unpredictable with their booking :p

I am THRILLED that the likes of Will Ospreay, Jay White, Kenta, Juice Robinson, and even Jeff Cobb managed to make in time for the G1 tournament this year. I'm hoping to see plenty of great performances here :)

·
Registered
25,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
I'll get the OP udated later but the schedule has been released:

They're staring off big. Okada vs. Ibushi Day 1, Tanahashi vs. Naito on Day 2, Ibushi vs. White Day 3, etc.

·
Le Champion
18,785 Posts
A whole lot to take in here.

• The first 2 nights are outrageous. Full of big money matchups.
  • 9/27 in Kobe has Okada/White and the big Shingo/Ospreay rematch, PLUS Ishii/Ibushi
  • 10/1 has Naito vs. SANADA in SANADA's hometown so that's gonna be hella interesting. EVIL vs. KENTA too
  • Naito/EVIL has their rubber match on 10/11 and lord I hope EVIL doesn't win :LOL:
  • The last 2 cards in Sumo Hall don't feature any HUGE obvious matches that will decide the block, so I really like that. On paper the main events would likely be Okada vs. Ospreay and EVIL vs. SANADA, but who the hell knows until we get there!

·
None. More. Hated.
6,944 Posts
I mean just looking at the final nights, I dont see how Okada vs. Ospreay isnt the last match. Ibushi being with Taichi doesn't look good for him. So Im thinking Okada and White come into the final night tied, and Okada either loses to Ospreay and Jay goes through, or Okada wins and goes through. Although, a lot of people are saying they're gonna strap the rocket to Ospreay this G1 and let him win his block, so it might be Ospreay vs. Okada for it all if Ospreay and Okada beat Jay in the block, which I think is very possible.

Block B has Sanada vs. Evil, which does kind of look like the decider, but Id watch Naito vs. Kenta too. Kenta spoiling Naito on the final night seems likely here. I kind of thought Tana would take this block, as Okada vs. Tana, Jay vs. Tana, or Ibushi vs. Tana all work as finals and it would be a good way to build him back up as a championship contender. Pairing him up with ZSJ on the final night makes me think it aint happening.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Block A final night is most likely Okada vs Ospreay. While the popular theory I observe now is that "Ospreay is going to play spoiler to let White sneak through", do note that Gedo has NEVER let the final block match have a competitor who has already been eliminated so if Okada/Ospreay is the main event, both guys would still be in it.

If White is to be the winner of that block, he would need Okada/Ospreay to draw to sneak through ala Goto in 2016.

For block B, SANADA vs EVIL is clearly going to be the deciding match. KENTA will play spoiler and my bet is SANADA advancing after beating EVIL. Yeah, I don't think EVIL is beating SANADA for the 3rd time in a row.

Going the unconventional route and going Ospreay vs SANADA finals. I can see Gedo using this opportunity to build up guys while still maintaining status quo with Naito as champion. Who wins is 50/50 but I'm leaning towards Ospreay.

·
None. More. Hated.
6,944 Posts
Block A final night is most likely Okada vs Ospreay. While the popular theory I observe now is that "Ospreay is going to play spoiler to let White sneak through", do note that Gedo has NEVER let the final block match have a competitor who has already been eliminated so if Okada/Ospreay is the main event, both guys would still be in it.

If White is to be the winner of that block, he would need Okada/Ospreay to draw to sneak through ala Goto in 2016.

For block B, SANADA vs EVIL is clearly going to be the deciding match. KENTA will play spoiler and my bet is SANADA advancing after beating EVIL. Yeah, I don't think EVIL is beating SANADA for the 3rd time in a row.

Going the unconventional route and going Ospreay vs SANADA finals. I can see Gedo using this opportunity to build up guys while still maintaining status quo with Naito as champion. Who wins is 50/50 but I'm leaning towards Ospreay.
I agree, looking to me like they're gonna give it to Ospreay. If Ospreay beats White in the block that would be a big tell. It makes sense for Okada to put his boy over in the final match. I think White beats Ishii and will be alive when the final match comes, but he wont get through. Like you said, he might need a draw and Okada vs. Ospreay goes 29:30 or something. Epic drama.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Would love a Ospreay G1 win as I see him as potentially the next AJ Styles in that he has an excellent fast style but has slowed it down successfully since slowly moving up in weight. In my opinion, Ospreay could be perfect IC champion for NJPW in that he fits the mould of the classic WWF IC champ in that he can have a great match with anyone but isn't quite ready to be the top champion, yet.

As much as I'd love him to win, I reckon NJ Cup next year would be better suited for him whilst this can go to White, Sanada or Ibushi. Would prefer Sanada getting a run with IC before a WHC run but not everyone can be IC either...

·
Le Champion
18,785 Posts
I've wanted to see Naito vs. Ospreay for quite some time now so if that's the route they wanna go for WK then I'm all for it. It would definitely be out of left field though so I'm still going SANADA.

41 - 60 of 159 Posts