Wrestling Forum banner

281 - 300 of 303 Posts

·
Le Champion
18,816 Posts
SANADA vs. Ibushi is a really boring final for me. SANADA has already beaten Naito in the tournament so him winning really does nothing at this point in terms of unpredictability imo. Ibushi winning would just be... there. He's faced Naito like a half a dozen times before and I think 2019 kinda ruined that match for me because they did it SO FUCKING MUCH.

Idk, I'll obviously keep watching to see how it plays out but it doesn't do much to excite me just yet. I'm sure the native fans are happy regardless though.

·
Currently lying down wearing a blue suit
11,651 Posts
Match Ratings:

- 6/10 for Gabriel Kidd vs Yuya Uemura

- 5.5/10 for YOSHI-HASHI vs Toru Yano

- 6.5/10 for Hirooki Goto vs Juice Robinson

- 7/10 for Hiroshi Tanahashi vs Zack Sabre Jr.

- 8/10 for KENTA vs Tetsuya Naito

- 9/10 for EVIL vs SANADA (MOTN)

Highlights:

It's very nice to see YOSHI-HASHI close out this tournament with a win over Toru Yano after an impressive performance in this G1 tournament :D

It was pretty fun watching Hiroshi Tanahashi keep up with Zack Sabre Jr.'s insane technical wrestling and his smooth, instant counters before eventually getting the victory here :)

KENTA manages to defeat Tetsuya Naito with a Rollup over 20 minutes into the match :CENA

SANADA manages to beat EVIL in a great match here over the 25-minute mark, which means that he'll be able to advance into the finals where he faces Kota Ibushi tomorrow! It was great seeing Hiromu Takahashi again after being gone for a month (since he wasn't part of the tournament), and it was also cool seeing him help out his good friend in SANADA to even the odds. Anyway, I'm stoked to see that SANADA got a big win here, and that he'll be able to face Ibushi in the finals; which is a HUGE match for him! Hopefully, both men will have a very good match together tomorrow :D

Ibushi vs. Evil or Sanada does nothing for me. Yuck
Thank God that they're doing Ibushi vs SANADA tomorrow then!

Both men are very good choices to be the block winners for this year :)

·
None. More. Hated.
7,144 Posts
I dont see how Sanada wins, Ibushi has White and Shingo as briefcase defenses, Sanada would have Goto and Yoshi Hashi or Yano.

·
Registered
724 Posts
I dont see how Sanada wins, Ibushi has White and Shingo as briefcase defenses, Sanada would have Goto and Yoshi Hashi or Yano.
Yeah I'm going like 90/10 here in favor of Ibushi. It just makes the most sense all around. Now I COULD see Ibushi maybe losing the briefcase but I think we're going Naito/Ibushi WK main event.

·
Premium Member
44,310 Posts
I've really been enjoying the G1 and its been a welcome return to some normalcy after a year that has been anything but.

But Sanada Vs. Ibushi as the finals? Its a weird choice. Normally in situations like this, it'd be someone on god tippy top tier, like an Okada, Tanahashi, or Naito going against an underdog. But Ibushi has never quite broken though to the tippy top tier and Sanada is an underdog to someone who never quite made it to the top, so it just feels off.

Granted, I'll take Sanada over EVIL.

·
11,651 Posts
I've really been enjoying the G1 and its been a welcome return to some normalcy after a year that has been anything but.

But Sanada Vs. Ibushi as the finals? Its a weird choice. Normally in situations like this, it'd be someone on god tippy top tier, like an Okada, Tanahashi, or Naito going against an underdog. But Ibushi has never quite broken though to the tippy top tier and Sanada is an underdog to someone who never quite made it to the top, so it just feels off.

Granted, I'll take Sanada over EVIL.
To be fair, Kota Ibushi has been calling himself a ‘god’ lately; so maybe he’s as close as you can get in terms of being on that tier :p

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Hoping Ibushi wins now.

Evil def Naito in tag semi main event, holding up both belts so hoping Ibushi wins G1, so then Sanada can challenge for IC, due to defeating Naito in G1. Then with Sanada challenging IC, Evil vs Naito can be whc, with both Naito defences happening during Power Struggle.

With Ospreays post match comments and English commentary during his tga match with Okada, Will is creating a new faction called Empire so interesting NJPW are going with another heel group. Hoping some from Bullet Club switch as BC is just to large. Suzuki Gun is just built to well for anyone to join Will so unless more from chaos move, can only think Sho or Yo, then perhaps that add guys from RevPro. I'd personally love to see Jay White and El Phantasma move from BC to Empire. Phantasma is forgot man due to Covid, but he'd automatically be their no. 1 Jr heavyweight whilst Jay and Will can be 2 man power trip type duo targeting IC and heavyweight with then O'Kharn being the muscle. Hopefully Empire does get a new member during Power Struggle tour, or even a tag team due to World Tag League coming up.

Final incoming, come on Ibushi.

·
Premium Member
4,288 Posts
G1 Climax Final Kota Ibushi vs SANADA * * * *
My hate for SANADA isn't blind. It's largely based in how good it feels like he could be and the disappointing reality that follows. This match had moments where I was horrified at the prospect of him winning because he looked so bad to moments where I was telling myself that he was turning the corner and it was all going to be ok. I honestly hope he gets back to his best.

Now on to Ibushi. Just one of my favourite wrestlers of all time with back to back G1 wins and on his way to another Tokyo Dome Main Event. Now I don't particularly think Ibushi needs the IWGP Heavyweight title, he has an incrible legacy without it and is an all time great wrestler. But damn it would make me smile to see him get a hold of it. Who knows maybe if a certain secret portal can be opened we'll get a proper Golden Lovers title match after all.

·
Registered
927 Posts
G1 Final - Ibushi v Sanada - ***3/4

The match was fine and the near 30 minutes flew by. I loved the final 5 minutes and they could have chopped off ten minutes. I really find Sanada would of those guys who could be so good if he was more consistent. I am unsure why Ibushi kept fucking up his spots but it was very sloppy in places. The lack of cheering definitely impacts my enjoyment of it, this could have been much hotter with a louder crowd. I think Sanada should have won and lost his shot to Ibushi later, just to make it less predictable.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Predictable win but there were some really cool near falls where they got me a couple times. Good match, started super slow but picked up near the end like most NJPW main events.

Ibushi vs Whito for the case incoming

Hopefully Empire gets a good 6-8 members, factions with less are too small and factions with more are too big. They could shave off some of BC or BC needs to split which might happen as they have 2 No. 1's Osprey will be the No. 1 of Empire so I don't see Whito or EBIR going to Empire. Maybe we get Empire AND a BC split.

·
SGT. AT ARMS
18,029 Posts
Yeah not a fan of the finals at all, i wasn't excited to see Ibushi win 2 years in a row or excited to see Sanada win. Ospreay should have been in the finals, he was on another level this year, and even the thought of him winning the G1 and main eventing WK would've made the match that more interesting and exciting. And Ospreay imo is a thousand time's better than Sanada in the ring so the match would've been way better than it was, cause honestly Sanada bores the ever living fuck outta me in the ring.

Just overall a very boring and uninteresting finals for a tournament that had been so good.

·
Registered
235 Posts
The finals was ok. Some nice spots but it was between 2 guys I'm not wholly invested in and Naito will probably get screwed over for another less popular guy (I know Ibushi is popular but ya know, a 4-5 defence reign is so hard Gedo?)

The problem with Ibushi for me is as good as he is, when he tries to show "character" beyond unhinged maniac, it's just boring. The whole "ascend to godhood" storyline feels hokey and forced to justify Ibushi as the winner even though he's not really done anything this year. Makes me want White to beat him for the briefcase and I'm not even a Jay White fan.

I get that Ibushi winning back to back at the 30th G1 climax was supposed to be this "big deal" but did anyone really find it that way? My reaction was "oh Ibushi won".

SANADA is SANADA. If he could combine his 2016 matches with his 2020 popularity, he be the best.

·
11,651 Posts
Match Ratings:

- 7/10 for Suzuki-gun vs CHAOS

- 8/10 for Los Ingobernables de Japon vs Suzuki-gun

- 6.5/10 for Master Wato/Jeff Cobb/Juice Robinson/Hiroshi Tanahashi vs Bullet Club

- 7.5/10 for Great O'Khan/Will Ospreay vs CHAOS

- 7/10 for Bullet Club vs Los Ingobernables de Japon

- 10/10 for SANADA vs Kota Ibushi (MOTN)

Highlights:

Boy, the post-match tensions between Hiromu Takahashi, Shingo Takagi, Minoru Suzuki, and a beaten Yoshinobu Kanemaru were pretty high there :LOL:

That was a good win for Great O'Khan and Will Ospreay here over CHAOS. Bea Priestley makes for a good valet for her boyfriend, and I really believe that she looks hotter than she's ever been. Apparently. Ospreay will be naming his new stable, 'Empire,' so hopefully we continue seeing more of his group in the big spotlight :)

That G1 finals match between SANADA and Kota Ibushi was incredible! They really had me with some of those near-falls in the end, ESPECIALLY Ibushi kicking out of that O'Connor Rollup from SANADA! I really thought SANADA was actually going to win here on a couple of occasions, and I was ROOTING for him to win too! However, Ibushi ended up getting a well-deserved win here after 2 Kamigoyes since SANADA kicked out of the first one!! :CENA

Kota Ibushi avenging his loss to Kazuchika Okada earlier this year (at Wrestle Kingdom 14 Night 1) by winning his 2nd G1 tournament in a row makes sense, and maybe he ends up facing Tetsuya Naito for the IWGP Heavyweight title in early January! SANADA ends up delivering a BIG break-out performance here by not only delivering an incredible match in the main-event, but ALSO for coming so close to winning the G1 finals this year. Kudos to BOTH men for wrestling an incredible G1 finals match here, especially considering how excellent SANADA and Ibushi are in the ring :drose

Reactions: BigCy

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
I wasn’t feeling the finals; even though it gave us a fresh finalist in SANADA, it was quite a dull watch to me. All the matches prior to the main even were more watchable, even though they had a “Road to...” feel. The crowd was quiet throughout the match too, making something like mood lighting noticeable. My eyes don’t usually wander during NJPW matches like that.

Hopefully next year, the finals will be something like Ospreay vs ZSJ, or Okada vs Ishii, giving us both fresh G1 finalists and a very exciting main event in the process.

·
Le Champion
18,816 Posts
So they announced Wrestle Kingdom will be another two night event on January 4th and 5th, 2021. Very ambitious given the circumstances and the fact that it's a Monday & Tuesday but hey, hopefully all goes well. I have no idea what the plan is going into that so the rest of the fall is gonna be really interesting to see unfold. Something about Naito vs. Ibushi just seems too... plain? Idk

·
Registered
724 Posts
Yeah not a fan of the finals at all, i wasn't excited to see Ibushi win 2 years in a row or excited to see Sanada win. Ospreay should have been in the finals, he was on another level this year, and even the thought of him winning the G1 and main eventing WK would've made the match that more interesting and exciting. And Ospreay imo is a thousand time's better than Sanada in the ring so the match would've been way better than it was, cause honestly Sanada bores the ever living fuck outta me in the ring.

Just overall a very boring and uninteresting finals for a tournament that had been so good.
I think Osprey should have gone to the finals myself but I think they did ok.
SANADA is what I would call solid all around but he never wows me or puts on a clinic with anyone so he's just kind of there. I do think he has a good look though. If they split the IC title again I think that should be his ceiling and guys who aren't quite on the cusp should be vying for that belt (SANADA, EBIR, ZSJ, Ishii, GOAT-o, etc.)

The finals was ok. Some nice spots but it was between 2 guys I'm not wholly invested in and Naito will probably get screwed over for another less popular guy (I know Ibushi is popular but ya know, a 4-5 defence reign is so hard Gedo?)

The problem with Ibushi for me is as good as he is, when he tries to show "character" beyond unhinged maniac, it's just boring. The whole "ascend to godhood" storyline feels hokey and forced to justify Ibushi as the winner even though he's not really done anything this year. Makes me want White to beat him for the briefcase and I'm not even a Jay White fan.

I get that Ibushi winning back to back at the 30th G1 climax was supposed to be this "big deal" but did anyone really find it that way? My reaction was "oh Ibushi won".

SANADA is SANADA. If he could combine his 2016 matches with his 2020 popularity, he be the best.
I wouldn't mind seeing the case change either but if it's Ibushi/Naito I won't complain either. Ibushi is probably that mix of great look, great athleticism, and popular to where if he gets the strap it would be cool but I'm not such a huge fan that I want him to win it over Naito and I'm not even a huge Naito fan.

I wasn’t feeling the finals; even though it gave us a fresh finalist in SANADA, it was quite a dull watch to me. All the matches prior to the main even were more watchable, even though they had a “Road to...” feel. The crowd was quiet throughout the match too, making something like mood lighting noticeable. My eyes don’t usually wander during NJPW matches like that.

Hopefully next year, the finals will be something like Ospreay vs ZSJ, or Okada vs Ishii, giving us both fresh G1 finalists and a very exciting main event in the process.
Yeah it was kind of a meh main event on paper but the match delivered imo but I would have rather have seen Osprey, Naito, or GOAT-kada in the finals instead of SANADA (I know the blocks are different, just talking in general)

So they announced Wrestle Kingdom will be another two night event on January 4th and 5th, 2021. Very ambitious given the circumstances and the fact that it's a Monday & Tuesday but hey, hopefully all goes well. I have no idea what the plan is going into that so the rest of the fall is gonna be really interesting to see unfold. Something about Naito vs. Ibushi just seems too... plain? Idk
I think maybe Naito will defend the IC strap on Night 1 and the World strap on Night 2 IF SANADA, EBIR, or Whito doesn't take the IC off of him at PS.

Maybe Night 1 is headlined with Naito vs SANADA and Night 2 is headlined by Naito vs Ibushi with a 6 match undercard for each show to a 14 total match WK. They have the people and the belts to make each night must see.

First Night
IC Main Event Naito/SANADA
Rev-Pro Okada/Osprey
World Jr. Tag Kane/Despe vs Wato/Ryusuke
US Mox vs KENTA
NEVER 6-Man Chaos vs gauntlet or just some random 3 man.
Multiman match
New Japan Rumble

Second Night
World Main Event Naito vs Ibushi
ROH whoever the champ is vs whoever their number 1 is
World Tag Taichi/ZSJ vs FinJuice or Guerillas
NEVER Openweight Suzuki vs Shingo
World Junior Ishimorii vs Hiromu
Multiman Match
KOPW title defence Yano vs someone

Plenty of stuff to get on 2 nights

·
Used to be a Dreamer, Dreamin' of a Fire
6,518 Posts
HE DID IT AND I CALLED IT BEFORE ANYONE ELSE

BACK 2 FUCKING BACK BABY

3 STRAIGHT G1 FINALS AND 2 STRAIGHT WIN. IBUSHI IS G1's MODERN GOAT

I haven't watched every show and I'm really behind but I've been taking notes and grading every match. When I'm caught up I'll post my final thoughts and all the best matches for posterity

What a tournament. So many great matches and, seeing as how Ibushi is one of my favorite wrestlers of all time, my desired outcome.

GOD

281 - 300 of 303 Posts