Wrestling Forum banner

741 - 760 of 1995 Posts

·
Le Champion
18,722 Posts
Naito vs. Ishii was fucking GREAT. Entirely what I wanna see in these G1 matches. All action with little to no downtime. So much urgency with killer head drops and wild sequences. Top 3 match in the tourney for me. **** 1/4

Moxley vs. Shingo was very solid as well. Leg work made it stand out but I just never bought into Shingo winning in the slightest. Him tapping was quite the shock though. *** 1/4

Rest of the show didn't do anything for me.

·
Registered
45,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #742
Boggles the mind that all the different Puro companies use these Dojo nerds that went through insane tryouts to get in. Or the ones that tried out multiple times until they finally got accepted because it means that much to them, and its all they want

Clearly Gedo, Rossy and Uncle Jun, and the rest are fucking idiots. :cozy

Can't wait until my dudes Big Ren, Shooter and Fredricks get their runs in the G1 in a few years :rusevyes
:benson

Narita makes me wonder if he'll reach heavyweight sooner than later. (or at all?) Then again, this is the start of his career, PLENTY of time to go. And heck, at this stage he got a nearfall on Tanahashi on the last Climax night, so things might be answered more than I even need to ramble about. :hmm:

The Young Lions are all superb. Very excited at the prospects of when they all graduate and "officially" join the roster. This is making me wonder when Oka & Kawato are gonna be coming back.

·
THE EXTREME HORSEMEN
5,979 Posts
:benson

Narita makes me wonder if he'll reach heavyweight sooner than later. (or at all?) Then again, this is the start of his career, PLENTY of time to go. And heck, at this stage he got a nearfall on Tanahashi on the last Climax night, so things might be answered more than I even need to ramble about. :hmm:

The Young Lions are all superb. Very excited at the prospects of when they all graduate and "officially" join the roster. This is making me wonder when Oka & Kawato are gonna be coming back.
I wasn't even really thinking of Ren as heavyweight until the last few weeks where he's been looking better each match, and now looks like he could hang with the big bois down the line. As you said he's just started, and there's a lot of really cool directions he could take. I wouldn't be against a return to the BOSTJ when he gets back from excursion. From replacement to contender :cozy

Oka and Kawato would be due back next year if my math is correct. Going to be cool to see where they fit into things.

Speaking of fitting into things. I can't wait to see what KENTA does post G1. Will he go after Okada and the title?. Or will find some poor soul to bully, only to have a Pitbull stand up to him (this might be my fantasy booking to see Ishii and Shibata interact in any way possible) Next few months will be :rusevyes

·
Registered
45,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #744
I wasn't even really thinking of Ren as heavyweight until the last few weeks where he's been looking better each match, and now looks like he could hang with the big bois down the line. As you said he's just started, and there's a lot of really cool directions he could take. I wouldn't be against a return to the BOSTJ when he gets back from excursion. From replacement to contender :cozy

Oka and Kawato would be due back next year if my math is correct. Going to be cool to see where they fit into things.

Speaking of fitting into things. I can't wait to see what KENTA does post G1. Will he go after Okada and the title?. Or will find some poor soul to bully, only to have a Pitbull stand up to him (this might be my fantasy booking to see Ishii and Shibata interact in any way possible) Next few months will be :rusevyes
Narita is def a great lock for the juniors. The legit GREAT tournament he had this year alone cements that, can only imagine how it'll be for him once he's a contender, as you put it. Been a crazy year for both he and Umino when you get right down to it. Tournaments, big singles matches. They've wrestled names like Tanahashi, Moxley, Ospreay, ZSJ, Scurll, etc. It's been the out of the frying pan, into the fire, and not on the seemingly over with Lion's Gate cards. The promotion is feeling a lot of promise with the lot, these two especially, and it's just so much fun to watch from the start.

Next year is certainly more than likely. Kawato could maybe pull a Hiromu and return for the first time at Fantasticamania, then keep at it in CMLL until he's fully due for his return. Oka is a bit more up in the air being over there in England, and other places, so I'm curious how much of his Great O-Karn persona will stick. Doubtful, as others had gimmicks away and came back different. Something to kick around, though. He's a LOT older than Kawato, so bringing him back first would make sense. I wish Kitamura was still around. He was looking to be like New Japan's Zeus.

I like to think KENTA has a high chance of getting the IWGP World Championship match, similar to how Marufuji did in 2016. KENTA is basically a de factor invader by this point, I'd roll with it. This is of course only going to see if Okada actually loses though. KENTA's freelancer status does put his post-Climax New Japan run up in the air too. Lot of questions to be answered.

·
Registered
45,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #746
Was unsure if the lack of results in circulation meant he was working places off the radar of if he was stopping altogether. I believe I heard he'd travel to other places once he first showed up in America, but I could be mixing that up with someone/something else.

·
None. More. Hated.
6,418 Posts
He gave a 5 stars to Dean vs Ishii despite giving lower scores to other just as good if not better matches

He also gave Jay vs Cobb 1.75 stars despite it being an okay match at worst
Did you listen to the audio? I just rewatched Jay vs. Cobb and its a fine 3 star NJPW match. At worst maybe 2.75. 1.75 means a below average match..this was..not it. He give a reason?

·
THE EXTREME HORSEMEN
5,979 Posts
Narita is def a great lock for the juniors. The legit GREAT tournament he had this year alone cements that, can only imagine how it'll be for him once he's a contender, as you put it. Been a crazy year for both he and Umino when you get right down to it. Tournaments, big singles matches. They've wrestled names like Tanahashi, Moxley, Ospreay, ZSJ, Scurll, etc. It's been the out of the frying pan, into the fire, and not on the seemingly over with Lion's Gate cards. The promotion is feeling a lot of promise with the lot, these two especially, and it's just so much fun to watch from the start.

Next year is certainly more than likely. Kawato could maybe pull a Hiromu and return for the first time at Fantasticamania, then keep at it in CMLL until he's fully due for his return. Oka is a bit more up in the air being over there in England, and other places, so I'm curious how much of his Great O-Karn persona will stick. Doubtful, as others had gimmicks away and came back different. Something to kick around, though. He's a LOT older than Kawato, so bringing him back first would make sense. I wish Kitamura was still around. He was looking to be like New Japan's Zeus.

I like to think KENTA has a high chance of getting the IWGP World Championship match, similar to how Marufuji did in 2016. KENTA is basically a de factor invader by this point, I'd roll with it. This is of course only going to see if Okada actually loses though. KENTA's freelancer status does put his post-Climax New Japan run up in the air too. Lot of questions to be answered.
Honestly, this might be my favourite part of NJ. Just being able to see them go from Lions to full time wrestlers. I know its said every couple of years, but this crop of YL is fantastic from top to bottom. Speaks to your earlier point about the Dojo system.

I did read that Oka was homesick, and apparently struggling. Hope any issues get worked out, as I'm a big fan of him. I think he could be a perfect member for Suzuki Gun as he has that look about him, and if he loses the gimmick it would be the perfect excuse for him to snap. Plus, imagine MiSu teaching him how to hurt people :banderas

Kawato's trajectory in terms of where he lands in both factions, and how Gedo and co see him is one of the biggest things to look at for. The fact he's holding a title already, tells me they see a lot in him. I wonder if a future place in CHAOS would be on the table :eek:kada

I didn't actually realise KENTA was a freelancer, that makes things more interesting for the future.

Speaking of future, I hope Archer gets a huge push coming out of the G1. The man is white hot at the moment, and he could be a super intriguing part of the main event scene

·
Registered
45,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #749
Honestly, this might be my favourite part of NJ. Just being able to see them go from Lions to full time wrestlers. I know its said every couple of years, but this crop of YL is fantastic from top to bottom. Speaks to your earlier point about the Dojo system.

I did read that Oka was homesick, and apparently struggling. Hope any issues get worked out, as I'm a big fan of him. I think he could be a perfect member for Suzuki Gun as he has that look about him, and if he loses the gimmick it would be the perfect excuse for him to snap. Plus, imagine MiSu teaching him how to hurt people :banderas

Kawato's trajectory in terms of where he lands in both factions, and how Gedo and co see him is one of the biggest things to look at for. The fact he's holding a title already, tells me they see a lot in him. I wonder if a future place in CHAOS would be on the table :eek:kada

I didn't actually realise KENTA was a freelancer, that makes things more interesting for the future.

Speaking of future, I hope Archer gets a huge push coming out of the G1. The man is white hot at the moment, and he could be a super intriguing part of the main event scene
I often sit around and wonder why this structure in Japan isn't adopted all over the rest of the wrestling world. Not every Dojo graduate is a significant success, but it breeds just so much right out of a lot of wrestlers, & seeing the growth is a brilliant thing to take in. Not to completely slander "Western" wrestling, but I think of how Michael Oku is in RevPro as a rookie. He worked Brian Cage during WrestleCon, and on the same night as Conners/Fredericks. But he's doing insane counters & reverse-ranas that are very green/sloppy, meanwhile the other two are working with their crisp looking, purposely limited move-set. They come off looking far better in the long run, and I wonder why/how a much smaller, greener rookie is doing moves other wrestlers with YEARS of experience are executing on a monster like Cage. There's just a significant disconnect to me on building things upwards, and all for the best in the grand scheme of things.

Oka seems to be the latest toss-up on if he'll come back then. I hope so, too. Never really gave any potential faction pondering a go, but I def can see what you're going for with the Suzuki-gun vision. He'd really have to have had made an impression with MiSu though.

Singles Archer is reborn (or first born? He was MiSu's tag partner upon arrival in 2011, so that really puts this into perspective) and I feel like there's got to maybe be a championship match for him somewhere soon. He's in the block without the singles champions other than Okada (Ospreay a non-factor, obviously), and well, I'm not saying he'll exactly get that upset in the tournament, but who knows. They may want to finally give him a chance in that massive of a position. I know I'll love to see it.

Reactions: Donnie

·
THE EXTREME HORSEMEN
5,979 Posts
I often sit around and wonder why this structure in Japan isn't adopted all over the rest of the wrestling world. Not every Dojo graduate is a significant success, but it breeds just so much right out of a lot of wrestlers, & seeing the growth is a brilliant thing to take in. Not to completely slander "Western" wrestling, but I think of how Michael Oku is in RevPro as a rookie. He worked Brian Cage during WrestleCon, and on the same night as Conners/Fredericks. But he's doing insane counters & reverse-ranas that are VERY green/sloppy, meanwhile the other two are working with their crisp looking, purposely limited move-set. They come off looking far better in the long run, and I wonder why/how a much smaller, greener rookie is doing moves other wrestlers with YEARS of experience are executing on a monster like Cage. There's just a significant disconnect to me on building things upwards, and all for the best in the grand scheme of things.

Oka seems to be the latest toss-up on if he'll come back then. I hope so, too. Never really gave any potential faction pondering a go, but I def can see what you're going for with the Suzuki-gun vision. He'd really have to have had made an impression with MiSu though.

Singles Archer is reborn (or first born? He was MiSu's tag partner upon arrival in 2011, so that puts this REALLY into perspective) and I feel like there's got to maybe be a championship match for him somewhere soon. He's in the block without the singles champions other than Okada (Ospreay a non-factor, obviously), and well, I'm not saying he'll exactly get that upset in the tournament, but who knows. They may want to finally give him a chance in that massive of a position. I know I'll love to see it.
The crispness from them was the first thing that caught my eye. Like, some of those dropkicks were AJ/Okada levels of smooth. Just goes to show if a wrestler has the basics drilled into them they can do them at will, and they'll be better off for it. I get what you mean with the complicated moves that some rookies do. Like, I respect effort, but give it a couple of years when you've perfected it.

I admit to scratching my head at how a PC with Regal/Norman/Hero/SDR can still have some really bad wrestlers who are sloppy as hell. Maybe Shibata is the key to building wrestlers :cozy

Yeah, Oka was more me fantasy booking again :lol I just see a lot in him, and I think someone like MiSu could do a lot for him.

Lance going from Dallas with Kash to Vance Archer on Superstars to this goofy monster heel that you can't help but love him, has been amazing to watch. When he did the Zandig pose in Dallas :banderas

·
Wheel Man for SCOTT STEINER
5,600 Posts
On the discussion of Kawato, I think placing ihm in LIJ would be sensible. Promote Shingo to Heavyweight & put Kawato as both BUSHI's partner & single Junior contender. Hiromu's timeline seems uncertain & the faction could use a Junior to carry part of the tour workload even if Hiromu makes a comeback. I think Naito is the type of guy you want Kawato to work with. He'd be behind too many people in CHAOS.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
I often sit around and wonder why this structure in Japan isn't adopted all over the rest of the wrestling world.
I think it is lack of trust in other promotions. People have seen what NJPW (and to lesser extent other Japanese promotions) does with Young Lions and how it works out in the end and NJPW has earned our trust in that regard. These wrestlers might not be spectacular and not awe inspiring yet, but we know that they are likely to become great couple of years later so we play along knowing that it is going to pay off eventually.

If, for example, WWE introduces similar system its like... why should I trust them to not screw it up (or abandon it completely) after few months? I think it is similar to what we talked in RoH thread about tag titles being viable main event, you really need to build it up before everyone can trust you and accept that.

·
SLAVE.
3,384 Posts
G1 Day 8.

Only two matches on this card took my fancy.

Goto/Taichi first, I really enjoyed this one. Seeing two guys going to war with everything to lose. Still not a fan of Taichi's gimmick but I have actually grown to quite like him in the ring, hitting his rainbow of high impact kicks. I was a big fan of Goto in the past when I actively followed New Japan and he was awesome here for sure, dude is just such a total badass, but Taichi stole this for me. 4*

So do we think after Goto got screwed here he'll be on the warpath moving forwards and claw a whole bunch of points back or do we think he'll just fall away now?

The other match was Moxley/Shingo — Even while selling a knee injury, Shingo is a total badass. Moxley on the other hand brought a lot of repetition from his Ishii match and wasn't impressive for me here as he has been in other matches. 3*

People don't think Moxley is gonna win the G1 but they seem to be giving Moxley all the accolades. I mean if he beats Naito on Sunday then it is a lock then, isn't it?

I am gonna skip Saturday's show I think as nothing on the card interests me at all, but I'll watch Sunday's. I'll probably pick up the A Block action on Tuesday with Ospreay v ZSJ.

·
Le Champion
18,722 Posts
KENTA will beat Okada tomorrow. Ibushi and Tanahashi win. The other two could go either way.

·
None. More. Hated.
6,418 Posts
G1 Day 8.

Only two matches on this card took my fancy.

Goto/Taichi first, I really enjoyed this one. Seeing two guys going to war with everything to lose. Still not a fan of Taichi's gimmick but I have actually grown to quite like him in the ring, hitting his rainbow of high impact kicks. I was a big fan of Goto in the past when I actively followed New Japan and he was awesome here for sure, dude is just such a total badass, but Taichi stole this for me. 4*

So do we think after Goto got screwed here he'll be on the warpath moving forwards and claw a whole bunch of points back or do we think he'll just fall away now?

The other match was Moxley/Shingo — Even while selling a knee injury, Shingo is a total badass. Moxley on the other hand brought a lot of repetition from his Ishii match and wasn't impressive for me here as he has been in other matches. 3*

People don't think Moxley is gonna win the G1 but they seem to be giving Moxley all the accolades. I mean if he beats Naito on Sunday then it is a lock then, isn't it?

I am gonna skip Saturday's show I think as nothing on the card interests me at all, but I'll watch Sunday's. I'll probably pick up the A Block action on Tuesday with Ospreay v ZSJ.

Hes beaten Shingo, Taichi, Cobb and Ishii. Hes beaten who he is supposed to beat. We will see how he finishes. He ain't beating Naito for sure.

Okada and Kenta is super interesting. Especially if Kenta wins. He would hold all tiebreakers over Okada, Tana and Ibushi, so for guys like Ibushi and Tana to be alive on the final night, he would basically have to lose 3 out of his last 4.

·
WF's #1 Mox fan.
23,551 Posts
I was 5 for 5 on my predictions tonight, as the chatbox knows lol. Everyone predicted KENTA to win the main event, I was the only one who said Okada would win and I was right :lol

LOVED the Mox and Naito interaction during the tag match, Mox was so hilarious with how mad he was getting (lol when he wouldn't stop swearing!!) and then his attempts to calm down afterwards :lmao LOL him telling Naito to SUCK IT, makes me think he is paying attention to WWE in some way cos of DX being on Raw this week.

Reactions: Donnie

·
THE EXTREME HORSEMEN
5,979 Posts
EVERYBODY DIES!!!! I dare you to tell me that Lance Archer doesn't fucking rule. Brother is having the run of his life, and I love it.

Windy Man has gone from spoiler to loser. These end times for Dewey Windy Man Crowe :mj2

SANADA still looks like a fucking asshole. I have nothing else to say.

:eek:kada vs Kenta was everything we needed :cozy

Wrestling is cool.

Final Note: Mox Girl is now a HUGE NJPW mark :banderas

741 - 760 of 1995 Posts