Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 1995 Posts

·
Registered
45,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Tournament schedule:

July 6 (US local time) – Dallas, Texas (American Airlines Center)
July 13 – Tokyo, Japan (Ota City General Gymnasium)
July 14 – Tokyo, Japan (Ota City General Gymnasium)
July 15 – Hokkaido, Japan (Hokkai Kitayell)
July 18 – Tokyo, Japan (Korakuen Hall)
July 19 – Tokyo, Japan (Korakuen Hall)
July 20 – Tokyo, Japan (Korakuen Hall)
July 24 – Hiroshima, Japan (Hiroshima Sun Plaza)
July 27 – Aichi, Japan (Aichi Prefectural Gymnasium)
July 28 – Aichi, Japan (Aichi Prefectural Gymnasium)
July 30 – Kagawa, Japan (Takamatsu City General Gymnasium)
August 1 – Fukuoka, Japan (Fukuoka Citizen Gymnasium)
August 3 – Osaka, Japan (Osaka Prefectural Gymnasium)
August 4 – Osaka, Japan (Osaka Prefectural Gymnasium)
August 7 – Shizuoka, Japan (Hamamatsu Arena)
August 8 – Kanagawa, Japan (Yokohama Cultural Gymnasium)
August 10 – Tokyo, Japan (Nippon Budokan)
August 11 – Tokyo, Japan (Nippon Budokan)
August 12 – Tokyo, Japan (Nippon Budokan)
Tickets went on sale for the Texas opener & the schedule got released already, might as well get this going for instant hype, seeing how before we know it, this year's Climax will already be upon us.

Discuss.

·
THE EXTREME HORSEMEN
5,979 Posts
Every year I make a pick to win, and every year I get it wrong because GEDO gives no fucks.

So in saying that, this year I'm picking the Windy spoiler man to win it all this year He fucked my pick last year :naito I'm not letting him do it to me again.

·
Won't shut up about Peyton Royce
17,649 Posts
If White loses the title at the MSG I can totally see him winning the G1 and challenging Okada at the Dome because Gedo gives no fucks these days. Hoping for Ibushi or Naito though

·
CHIEFS KINGDOM!
3,225 Posts
I heard tickets for Dallas Night 1 first day sales were terrible. Figured I'd talk about that here rather than start a whole topic about it. I guess only 1,600 tickets sold so far for American Airlines Arena, that's real bad. American fans are going to require a announced card for the night this time around, New Japan might want to get on that.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Looking at the seating chart it doesn’t look like many have been sold, do you know where that 1600 number came from? What are attendance numbers for night 1 in Japan usually like and how long do they take to sell out? I believe the arena in Texas can hold 18,000 to 20,000 depending on the event.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
228 Posts
I heard tickets for Dallas Night 1 first day sales were terrible. Figured I'd talk about that here rather than start a whole topic about it. I guess only 1,600 tickets sold so far for American Airlines Arena, that's real bad. American fans are going to require a announced card for the night this time around, New Japan might want to get on that.
How are they going to announce a card for the G1 show when

1) The G1 is still about 4 months away
2) NJPW themselves have yet to figure out the competitors

American fans are getting an actual G1 show and demanding a card like they can't understand how the G1 works.

At this point, I hope NJPW drops the American experiment and shift gears to more wrestling starved market.

Asia is stuck with backyard promotions and the occasional WWE show coming by. Better off making a play there.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I may actually go to this show, if I can pay off some debt. I’m surprised they rented such a large venue though. It’s a great honor for the USA to host opening night, but it will be a while before many tickets move.

·
Registered
24,528 Posts
Every year I make a pick to win, and every year I get it wrong because GEDO gives no fucks.

So in saying that, this year I'm picking the Windy spoiler man to win it all this year He fucked my pick last year :naito I'm not letting him do it to me again.
…… I'm gonna assume you're talking about ZSJ. I like ZSJ, but him winning the G1. I don't see that this year, or ever.

And tell me you weren't the one guy to not pick Naito in 2017.

·
THE EXTREME HORSEMEN
5,979 Posts
…… I'm gonna assume you're talking about ZSJ. I like ZSJ, but him winning the G1. I don't see that this year, or ever.

And tell me you weren't the one guy to not pick Naito in 2017.
Hmm, I think it did pick :naito now that you mention it.

Still, Gedo will fuck with my dream as always. So, that's why I picked ZSJ.

Of course now that I said that, he'll have Goto win it because no one picks Goto :mj2

·
THE NXT CHAMP BAYBAY !
11,039 Posts
Can we finally get :naito back on track by him winning this, please.

Reactions: Corey

·
Le Champion
18,734 Posts
I think they made a mistake running such a HUGE venue for the first night in Dallas. It's cool to be part of the G1 tournament itself but it's gonna feel weird when there's a 6 day break in between shows. It just won't feel... genuine I guess? Realistically we're gonna get 4 singles matches and even if the top two are BIG time matches (something like Okada/Tana paired with Naito/White which is pretty far-fetched anyway) I just don't know if that's enough to sell 15k+ tickets.

Should've just been 'G1 Special in Dallas' imo so they could have a bunch of title matches and all that.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Nar, it’s only gonna have one block. That will usually mean 5 singles matches though, which is more than enough. Some of the greatest shows of all time are single block G1 shows

·
Registered
283 Posts
I think they made a mistake running such a HUGE venue for the first night in Dallas. It's cool to be part of the G1 tournament itself but it's gonna feel weird when there's a 6 day break in between shows. It just won't feel... genuine I guess? Realistically we're gonna get 4 singles matches and even if the top two are BIG time matches (something like Okada/Tana paired with Naito/White which is pretty far-fetched anyway) I just don't know if that's enough to sell 15k+ tickets.

Should've just been 'G1 Special in Dallas' imo so they could have a bunch of title matches and all that.

I think they made a mistake with the huge arena as well, however Mark Cuban owns the Mavericks who play there, and AXS TV is broadcasting this, so hopefully AXS is covering a large portion of the rent for the arena. I really hope NJPW isn’t expecting a sellout, because that would mean a larger attendance than at MSG.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
NJPW is delusional if they think Jay White at the top of the card will sell tickets. Book that shit in Japan and quit ruining US shows with Jay White.

I have tickets so I’m always pessimistic about NJPW shows. I know for a fact I’ll be cursed with a ZSJ singles and Fale singles.

·
Le Champion
18,734 Posts
What do you mean by 4 singles matches? Won't this have first day matches of both blocks?
Nar, it’s only gonna have one block. That will usually mean 5 singles matches though, which is more than enough. Some of the greatest shows of all time are single block G1 shows
Yeah I meant 5 (wasn't thinking straight there).

They're running 19 G1 shows with the last one just having the final, so it's 9 shows each block. This Dallas show will just have one block if my math is right, which tbh won't come anywhere close to a sellout here in the U.S. Looking at the ticket model though it seems like they expected that because a majority of the arena isn't even opened up.

·
Registered
45,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Don't want to necessarily make a pick without the field being set or anything, but I'm feeling like Okada wins at MSG and Switchblade wins the G1 this year.

We'll see how things go. It just seems focused on for the story they're telling. To me, anyways. As White continues to mirror Okada's 2012 rise.

·
Registered
919 Posts
How are they going to announce a card for the G1 show when

1) The G1 is still about 4 months away
2) NJPW themselves have yet to figure out the competitors

American fans are getting an actual G1 show and demanding a card like they can't understand how the G1 works.

At this point, I hope NJPW drops the American experiment and shift gears to more wrestling starved market.

Asia is stuck with backyard promotions and the occasional WWE show coming by. Better off making a play there.
If I were NJPW I would focus heavily on the UK and European markets. They could technically do a European tour taking in London, Manchester, Dublin, Berlin, Paris and one or two other cities. The US is - unfortunately - way too spoilt and with the WWE and pending AEW events across the country they don't need another promotion in their backyard.

Europe has always been a hot-bed for wrestling, dating back to Wembley Stadium SS92 and the Germany tours that WWF fans went ape-shit over. Why not tap into that market? That said I am bias.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
When will they announce who all the competitors are? What are the odds Mox competes? If he does, how do you book him?

1 - 20 of 1995 Posts