Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 228 Posts

·
Registered
23,937 Posts
Re: NJPW Returning To L.A. In Late September?

Wait, Ospreay isn't going to have his match with Havoc at Progress Wembley? That sucks.

And if they really are doing another show in September on the same scale of a Strong Style Evolved, just kind of seems like over kill.

·
#1 Somamaniac
13,614 Posts

So in this video Will Ospreay discusses not being able to make it to the big Progress show at Wembley on September 30th and he casually mentions that New Japan has added a date for them to return to the L.A. area around that time. Skip to the 6 minute mark and he brings it up.

If true (and I mean it seems like it's about 100% true), what are the thoughts on this? Feels like overkill and over-saturation imo. A 3rd US show in a 6 month span? Same month as All In? The day after ROH's big Death Before Dishonor weekend in Vegas? Only one week after Destruction and one week before King of Pro Wrestling? I just don't know... people only have so much money. :p

You tube embed is fucked at the moment so here is the link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHU-Xr54z-Y

Really hope this isn't the case. I know they want to capitalize with Omega as champion but oversaturating the market will only lead to bad things for them.

·
Let's talk about six, baby.
8,408 Posts

Bad idea.

·
Baby It's Violence
7,120 Posts

They are already having issues selling this current US show, another one would probably spell even worse ticket sales due to oversaturation given the location.

I wonder if they considered running somewhere in NY or something, where you have a chance of getting a different audience who haven't been able to make any of the LA shows. Might have a better chance of getting more fans in a new location.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts

Yeah, feels like they are milking Omega's title run... which probably means that he is losing it either at KoPW or WK.

·
Registered
23,937 Posts

@Corey

Wrestling Inc. President Raj Giri is at today's press conference for the tomorrow night's G1 Special in San Francisco. At the press conference, NJPW President Harold Meij announced the company will return to Long Beach, California on September 30 for The Fighting Spirit Unleashed.

Meij also announced NJPW will hold two more events featuring the company's "young lions" on November 10 and 11 at the Anaheim Convention Center, which will be called The Lions Break.
Well, there's the confirmation. "Fighting Spirit Unleashed" will happen in Long Beach.....again, on September 30 (because of course it had to be the same day as Progress's biggest show ever.

Supposed it's time to change the title.

·
Registered
646 Posts

I like that they seem to be going back to a smaller intimate setting, I think having a small, rabid 3-4k crowd that eats everything up makes for a better show. I really think a half empty Cow Palace is going to come off poorly. I think they also need to do a better job announcing a card ahead of time, as I think they were banking on a NJPW in the US selling the show.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts

ROH is running Death Before Dishonor at the Orleans in Vegas 9/28 and TV tapings 9/29, so it stands to reason we should see quite a bit of the same talent at all the shows.

·
Le Champion
18,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

@Corey

Well, there's the confirmation. "Fighting Spirit Unleashed" will happen in Long Beach.....again, on September 30 (because of course it had to be the same day as Progress's biggest show ever.

Supposed it's time to change the title.
Still think it's a bad move but I guess if they run the Pyramid again there's a high chance it sells out. Still feels really unnecessary though given the timeframe of the show. And it'll probably another one where Jericho is IC Champion but not on the card. Sigh...

·
Won't shut up about Peyton Royce
17,649 Posts
I saw the news on Twitter and thought "This is too soon". Like someone posted, they are trying to take advantage that Omega is champion, so probably he will have another title defense there, but I guess we won't know the rest of the card at least until after G1. They should try other markets though. Chicago, New York, Philly, all seem likely to draw 4-5k people with a decent card and decent time to promote it..

·
Le Champion
18,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I saw the news on Twitter and thought "This is too soon". Like someone posted, they are trying to take advantage that Omega is champion, so probably he will have another title defense there, but I guess we won't know the rest of the card at least until after G1. They should try other markets though. Chicago, New York, Philly, all seem likely to draw 4-5k people with a decent card and decent time to promote it..
I'd love a show on the east coast. :lol

Honestly we may not even know this card until REALLY late or really close to the show.

September 15th - Destruction in Hiroshima
September 17th - Destruction in Beppu
September 23rd - Destruction in Kobe
September 30th - Fighting Spirit Unleashed
October 8th - King of Pro Wrestling

What the hell are they gonna put on all these different big shows? Fozzy's tour doesn't even end until 9/29 in Fort Lauderdale.

·
#1 Somamaniac
13,614 Posts
My theory is they are planing Omega to lose the title at King Of Pro Wrestling and they want to make the most of this title reign hence why they are having another US show. Maybe I'm wrong. I said for months that Naito will beat Omega at KOPW and this only strengthens that idea.

The Lion's Gate shows are risky. No doubt they are going to use some of the local and indie talent like they do usually. Still I wouldn't expect much.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
If New Japan came to New York I would do anything in my power to go to that show. It is a rare occasion I get to watch Japanese wrestling live. In fact I have never watched Kenny Omega live, or Naito or Okada. I don't live in Japan. Would be a hard opportunity to pass up.

·
Registered
45,092 Posts
The only positive thing I can think of for this on paper is having the possibility of going.

Not that I feel it is a negative, just seems a bit more out of the blue than Strong Style Evolved earlier this year, and the seemingly set yearly G1 Special event in July. Wouldn't say I expect a World Championship here either, but meh for speculation. Who the hell knows what's in store when we're not even through the Climax yet.

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Kinda bittersweet for me. On one hand it shows that NJPW are continually trying to break into the US market and they are trying to get bigger (though this maybe a case of too much to soon) and I really want NJPW to continue to grow. On the other hand, this shows that O'Spreay was telling the truth and they've pulled him from competing at the Progress show in Wembley against Jimmy Havoc and this was one of my most anticipated match and if they've pulled O'Spreay, they could also pull Zack who's meant to be in the main event.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Can see Golden lovers in a tag match and US Championship being co main events, like the 1st SSE. Perhaps tag title defence if Bucks are challenging or champions and/or Goto defending never against another us indy star. Something like:

Golden Lovers vs Naito & Takahashi

White (c) vs Okada or Juice (c) vs Tanahashi

Goto (c) vs Matt Riddle or Walter

Young Bucks vs Briscoes (They did say on RoH that of Briscoes retained their Roh titles, then perhaps it makes them #1 Contenders so perfect here)

Evil, Sanada & Bushi vs. Ishimori or Fale & GOD

·
Used to be a Dreamer, Dreamin' of a Fire
6,407 Posts
I actually think it's a great idea. This is the western expansion. This is what it looks like. Not just 1 or 2 shows a year. You've gotta get the US audience used to the idea of NJPW being a mainstay in their wrestling diet

·
Le Champion
18,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I actually think it's a great idea. This is the western expansion. This is what it looks like. Not just 1 or 2 shows a year. You've gotta get the US audience used to the idea of NJPW being a mainstay in their wrestling diet
Being a mainstay is great but over-saturating the same market is not. This show will probably sell out because it's in the Pyramid but it still feels too soon imo and too crammed in between other major shows in Japan. There's just not enough time to promote it properly, nor do I trust that they really will promote it at all since it's smack dab in between Destruction and KOPW.

But hey, maybe I'm completely wrong and the new President will change things.

1 - 20 of 228 Posts