Wrestling Forum banner

201 - 206 of 206 Posts

·
Registered
23,886 Posts
Re: WON: Dominion Star Ratings

I would like to actually ask Dave one day what does 5 stars really mean to him anymore? And yes, I know it's all personal opinion. I disagree with it, but whatever. And honestly I get more annoyed by people who can't have an opinion of their own than Meltzer himself.

But when I look at 5 star matches from WWE in the past like Taker vs. HBK inside the Cell or Punk vs. Cena from MITB, those are worthy of 5 stars. Because they weren't just great matches, they were moments in time.

You look at a match like Ospreay vs. Dragon Lee, while very good, is it a moment time. Is it going to live on in people's memories like those other matches did or like Okada vs. Omega did?

No. And that's why most of the time I just can't take his opinions, at least as far as match quality, seriously.

·
Registered
45,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #204
The reactions post-Meltzer tend to be more overblown than his opinions.

He liked the event, is my gist. Moving on.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Re: WON: Dominion Star Ratings

Why wouldn't Ospreay be praised? The dude has been absolutely killing it.
Nothing wrong with it, but not everything he does is instant classic either.

But when I look at 5 star matches from WWE in the past like Taker vs. HBK inside the Cell or Punk vs. Cena from MITB, those are worthy of 5 stars. Because they weren't just great matches, they were moments in time.

You look at a match like Ospreay vs. Dragon Lee, while very good, is it a moment time. Is it going to live on in people's memories like those other matches did or like Okada vs. Omega did?

No. And that's why most of the time I just can't take his opinions, at least as far as match quality, seriously.
Well, to be fair, sometimes it is difficult to know in advance what will live on and what won't.

Thou I agree, for me Ishii trying to force Taichi into straight match is more memorable than anything Ospreay/Shingo/Dragon Lee did in those last two "classic" matches.

201 - 206 of 206 Posts