Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 184 Posts

·
Registered
45,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

The 26th annual Best of the Super Juniors tournament is here to kickstart the Summer of New Japan Pro Wrestling. The anticipated international field with the best junior heavyweights the world has to offer, from the home promotion itself, to partners, & anything in-between. 2019's tournament Finals will conclude at the iconic Ryogoku Sumo Hall, instantly making this year's final night an instant classic for all involved.

*Announced field yet to come.

·
Registered
24,465 Posts
Will be weird with no Kushida and presumably no Ospreay.

But now we have Shingo so that’s cool. Hopefully if rumors are true Hiromu could be back for them too.

And if you could get ROH to loan guys like Gresham and Bandido, I won’t complain.

·
Registered
12,663 Posts
if Bandido isn't in this, I'm rioting.....or at least bitching on the internet.

I am expecting both Gresham and Bandido to be in the tournament. Shingo will be a finalist I'm betting.

·
Registered
45,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The inevitable Shingo vs SHO match is where the early ticket is with me. That's got to happen here with all the teasing going on + Shingo's status as still not taking a loss since joining New Japan. They're working me for sure, atm.

On board with ROH sending over Gresham & Bandido. The fresh matches with both of them in the mix, sounds so great. Just depends on how the scheduling works out to be gone for the better part of a month. Fingers crossed.

·
THE EXTREME HORSEMEN
5,979 Posts
Hiromu making his return would make me stupidly happy.

If ROH were to send Bandido and Gresham, I hope they send Haskins as well. He'd fit in real well, I reckon.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Hoping that Shingo vs sho ends up being the final, if Takahashi isn't back, as it would be a great way to rebuild the division after losing kushida, Takahashi and Ospreay (all through different means.) Have it the final now with shingo winning then have a slow build to rematch at Wrestle Kingdom with Sho becoming next Jr Ace.

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
El Phantasmo will probably be in it, will be interesting to see how he'll do as a heel since his moveset is rather entertaining unlike what most people in BC do. He also has RevPro's cruiser weight title match on May 10th and it feels like it should end with him finally beating David Starr. So that title might be in play for this tournament as well considering that NJPW likes to use RevPro's heavyweight title.

·
Wheel Man for SCOTT STEINER
5,600 Posts
Despite no Hiromu announcement, the talent announcement is still superb despite the loss of Liger, Kushida & Hiromu. I probably favour Shingo to win as it is right now but they might use the time in Sumo Hall to put over Ospreay.

·
Baby It's Violence
7,122 Posts
Here's the announced roster

Ryusuke Taguchi
Tiger Mask
Rocky Romero
SHO
YOH
Will Ospreay
Taiji Ishimori
El Desperado
Taka Michinoku
Yoshinobu Kanemaru
BUSHI
Flip Gordon
Titan
Marty Scurll
Dragon Lee
Robbie Eagles
Jonathan Gresham
Bandido
Shingo Takagi
X
Go Shingo, even if you are kinda big for a Jr. HW :mark:

·
Registered
30 Posts
The mystery man is definitely the same “x” from the upcoming tag match I would think, which is El Phantasmo

There’s no way Hiromu can work something this gruelling yet

·
HEADBANGA
22,461 Posts
The talent looks stacked for this tournament. I'm excited to see what Gresham and Bandido do in this tourney. I'm also looking forward to El phantasmo if he's the mystery guy.

·
Registered
12,663 Posts
New Japan is keeping the door open on the 1% chance Hiromu can make it. Probably less than 1% actually. Even if he could, I wouldn't want to tax him on a tournament right out of the gate. East him back in as much as humanly possible.

But yeah, I'm expecting it to be Phantasmo like most.

·
Registered
45,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Taka & surly Tiger Mask matches :mark:

Quality field other than the two I've already expressed I'm no fan of. Gresham & Bandido coming over though, now that's wonderful. Shingo is a given as a set roster member, but so good to see him in the mix. Easy favorite right there. Although, I do have a hard time seeing Dragon Lee being champion to lose at Dominion if Hiromu wasn't the end game. Maybe there's a chance Ishimori can win on the current Dontaku tour. I hope so.

Pairing I'd love to see: Shingo vs Desperado.

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
New Japan is keeping the door open on the 1% chance Hiromu can make it. Probably less than 1% actually. Even if he could, I wouldn't want to tax him on a tournament right out of the gate. East him back in as much as humanly possible.

But yeah, I'm expecting it to be Phantasmo like most.
I don't agree with that. X is clearly El Phantasmo and it would be insanely stupid if it was actually revealed to be Hiromu.

·
Le Champion
18,718 Posts
Is the New Japan crowd gonna care about El Phantasmo THAT much though? Like why is he being kept a secret...?

·
Registered
45,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Does seem peculiar, especially seeing how he was already revealed as part of BULLET CLUB. It's all more a matter of when, not if when it comes to him appearing. As for the Japanese fans, if he's consistent enough in appearing, he can eventually get over. Doubt about being adored right off the bat, though.

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
I expect that he'll get zero reaction when he'll walk to the ring. Maybe crowd will react to some his high spots during the match.

·
#1 Somamaniac
13,620 Posts
Guys like Gresham and Bandido being in the tournament is really exciting. This will be a test of Robbie Eagles' abilities as his run has been unremarkable at best so far, but he will now be in singles matches so that should allow him to show off what he can do. El Phantasmo is someone who I know of, but never watched so that dynamic is going to be different for me and the Japanese crowd.

Ospreay being in the BOSJ isn't a surprised. He was presented as a Jr throughout his New Japan Cup run and whilst he was the NEVER Openweight Champion. I expect him to be in the finals too, or at least close like he was last year. Either him or Sho will be my picks for the finals. Sho vs Shingo has been built up for months. No way is that not happening in some shape or form.

I think the whole tournament looks pretty great overall. Ton of good matches to be had with new match ups and feuds going in.

1 - 20 of 184 Posts