Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Heroes For Hire
15,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

In a video today, Nintendo introduced Nintendo Switch Lite, a device designed specifically to play Nintendo Switch games in handheld mode. The Nintendo Switch Lite system launches Sept. 20 at a suggested retail price of $199.99 and will be available in three different colors: yellow, gray and turquoise. A carrying case and screen protector set for Nintendo Switch Lite will also be available.

"Adding Nintendo Switch Lite to the lineup gives gamers more color and price point options," said Nintendo of America President Doug Bowser. "Now consumers can choose the system that best suits how they like to play their favorite Nintendo Switch games."

The flagship Nintendo Switch launched in March 2017 and offers three different play modes: playing in TV mode by placing the system into a Nintendo Switch dock, playing cooperatively or competitively in tabletop mode by sharing Joy-Con controllers and playing in handheld mode. The system comes with either Gray Joy-Con controllers or Neon Red and Neon Blue Joy-Con controllers.

Nintendo Switch Lite has integrated controls and is smaller than the flagship version of Nintendo Switch. It has no kickstand and, as a dedicated handheld gaming device, does not support video output to a TV. Therefore, it does not come with a dock or HDMI cable. For a full list of the differences between Nintendo Switch and Nintendo Switch Lite, visit https://www.nintendo.com/switch/compare.

The new device can play all games in the robust Nintendo Switch library that support handheld mode*, although some games will have restrictions. Compatible game modes will be listed on the back of game packaging and in Nintendo eShop.

Nintendo Switch and Nintendo Switch Lite owners can get together to enjoy compatible multiplayer titles like Super Mario Maker 2, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Splatoon 2 and Super Smash Bros. Ultimate together via Nintendo Switch Online** or local wireless multiplayer***.

For additional information about Nintendo Switch Lite, visit https://www.nintendo.com/switch/lite/.

* For games that support tabletop mode, players can wirelessly connect Joy-Con controllers (sold separately) to Nintendo Switch Lite. In these cases, users will need to have a device to recharge Joy-Con controllers, such as the Joy-Con Charging Grip.
**Nintendo Switch Online membership (sold separately) and Nintendo Account required for online play. Not available in all countries. Internet access required for online features. Terms apply. nintendo.com/switch-online
***Additional systems and software required.

About Nintendo: The worldwide pioneer in the creation of interactive entertainment, Nintendo Co., Ltd., of Kyoto, Japan, manufactures and markets hardware and software for its Nintendo Switch™ system and the Nintendo 3DS™ family of portable systems. Since 1983, when it launched the Nintendo Entertainment System™, Nintendo has sold more than 4.7 billion video games and more than 740 million hardware units globally, including Nintendo Switch and the Nintendo 3DS family of systems, as well as the Game Boy™, Game Boy Advance, Nintendo DS™ family of systems, Super NES™, Nintendo 64™, Nintendo GameCube™, Wii™ and Wii U™ systems. It has also created industry icons that have become well-known, household names, such as Mario, Donkey Kong, Metroid, Zelda and Pokémon. A wholly owned subsidiary, Nintendo of America Inc., based in Redmond, Wash., serves as headquarters for Nintendo's operations in the Americas. For more information about Nintendo, please visit the company's website at https://www.nintendo.com.

REDMOND, Wash.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- A special Pokémon-themed version of the newly announced Nintendo Switch Lite system will be available in North America starting Nov. 8. The Nintendo Switch Lite Zacian and Zamazenta Edition features stylish cyan and magenta buttons and illustrations of the two new Legendary Pokémon from the upcoming Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Shield games* for Nintendo Switch. This unique system will be available at a suggested retail price of $199.99, while supplies last.

"November is shaping up to be a big month for Pokémon fans, with the arrival of this special hardware followed by the launch of the Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Shield games one week later," said Nintendo of America President Doug Bowser. "The Nintendo Switch Lite Zacian and Zamazenta Edition will be a great gift for Pokémon fans who want to play the latest games on the go."

In Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Shield, players will embark on a new adventure through the Galar region, where they'll catch, battle and trade newly discovered Pokémon and uncover the mystery behind Legendary Pokémon Zacian and Zamazenta. The Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Shield games are available Nov. 15 for all Nintendo Switch systems.

The Nintendo Switch Lite device can play all games in the robust Nintendo Switch library that support handheld mode**, although some games will have restrictions. The standard edition of the Nintendo Switch Lite system launches on Sept. 20 at a suggested retail price of $199.99 and will be available in three different colors: yellow, gray and turquoise.

For more information about Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Shield, visit http://pokemon.com/swordshield. For additional information about Nintendo Switch Lite, visit https://www.nintendo.com/switch/lite/#first-look.

Remember that Nintendo Switch features parental controls that let adults manage the content their children can access. For more information about other features, visit https://www.nintendo.com/switch/.

* The Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Shield games are sold separately from the Nintendo Switch Lite Zacian and Zamazenta Edition system.
** For games that support tabletop mode, players can wirelessly connect Joy-Con controllers (sold separately) to Nintendo Switch Lite. In these cases, users will need to have a device to recharge Joy-Con controllers, such as the Joy-Con Charging Grip.

About Nintendo: The worldwide pioneer in the creation of interactive entertainment, Nintendo Co., Ltd., of Kyoto, Japan, manufactures and markets hardware and software for its Nintendo Switch™ system and the Nintendo 3DS™ family of portable systems. Since 1983, when it launched the Nintendo Entertainment System™, Nintendo has sold more than 4.7 billion video games and more than 740 million hardware units globally, including Nintendo Switch and the Nintendo 3DS family of systems, as well as the Game Boy™, Game Boy Advance, Nintendo DS™ family of systems, Super NES™, Nintendo 64™, Nintendo GameCube™, Wii™ and Wii U™ systems. It has also created industry icons that have become well-known, household names, such as Mario, Donkey Kong, Metroid, Zelda and Pokémon. A wholly owned subsidiary, Nintendo of America Inc., based in Redmond, Wash., serves as headquarters for Nintendo's operations in the Americas. For more information about Nintendo, please visit the company's website at https://www.nintendo.com.
Got those press releases earlier, now we play the waiting game for the Switch Pro :waiting.

·
Registered
5,275 Posts
I hate all of the colour options of this thing.

And despite how I only ever play my Switch in handheld mode I still won't be getting one of these. Not worth getting a whole new version of the thing when the original works just fine. Never had any issue with the portability of my regular Switch.

·
Heroes For Hire
15,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hate all of the colour options of this thing.

And despite how I only ever play my Switch in handheld mode I still won't be getting one of these. Not worth getting a whole new version of the thing when the original works just fine. Never had any issue with the portability of my regular Switch.
The point of this thing isn’t for people who own a Switch already it’s for those who don’t own one and want a cheaper option. Most people either don’t use or don’t like the current dock model so they tend to stick to portable mode so Nintendo used that research as a response to entice new customers into finally caving.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Clever business timing considering Nintendo's stocks are crashing right now (-1.33%).

It was only a matter of time that this happened. Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft are all guilty of this. When there are no huge titles for sale on their consoles, they re-release the console itself with a new name. Internally/externally bigger, smaller, more powerful, different colours etc. you name it. I'm not saying it's a bad business move, it's clever as fuck because, moreso for Nintendo, you know loads of parents of little kids are already getting Santa Claus (the bank) on the phone to reserve a smaller, different coloured Switch.

Morally it's fucking stupid. With the exception of the first Xbox One that looked like a VCR, who actually cares what the console looks like? It could look like a fucking Dreamcast for all I care, so long as my £50+ for a new game is justified and I get lost in it, that's all that matters. Even then I begrudgingly pay that because everyone is greedy.

With new hardware comes better games, that's fair enough. I understand the price increase. What I don't understand is why a new game is released at 50 quid with an extra 30 quid season pass for DLC that isn't even out yet and, more often than not, for a game you haven't even opened and tried.

I used to think you could trust Bethesda to sort you out a fantastic game after Oblivion, 3, New Vegas, Skyrim and 4, but even then they turned greedy and totally fucked up Fallout 76 by doing the old Peter Molyneux trick and lying about everything the game actually featured.

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
Not a fan of the colors whatsoever. At least offer black and maybe a Gameboy color scheme.

I don't own a Switch, so can the people that do tell me if they play mostly docked or handheld? I'm just trying to understand the appeal of this, other than to get more people to buy it cause its cheaper.

·
Registered
22,784 Posts
Not a fan of the colors whatsoever. At least offer black and maybe a Gameboy color scheme.

I don't own a Switch, so can the people that do tell me if they play mostly docked or handheld? I'm just trying to understand the appeal of this, other than to get more people to buy it cause its cheaper.
Honestly I play mine mostly in handheld mode. Just so convenient lol. But its also nice to hook it up to the TV as well. Plus I can only record game footage that way :p.

·
Premium Member
2,877 Posts
I play mine mainly in handheld mode as well. Can't fault them with releases new models to help bring in more profits. No different than PS and Microsoft releases varying models of there systems.

·
Custom User Title
15,224 Posts
I don't have a Switch and was waiting for a cheaper option and I'd play it mostly in handheld and this thing still looks incredibly uninviting. Guess I'll be getting a regular one (probably two days before the Switch Pro gets announced).

·
Banned
11,533 Posts
I own two (bought one for wife to play Stardew and Terraria together). I play on mine 95% docked. This does nothing for me. I'm still nervous about the Pro model which you know is next.

·
Heroes For Hire
15,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I own two (bought one for wife to play Stardew and Terraria together). I play on mine 95% docked. This does nothing for me. I'm still nervous about the Pro model which you know is next.
I don't mind playing my Switch docked, it's just sometimes getting it hooked up can be a chore. Especially connecting the Switch to the Dock connectors and I'd rather not risk scratching my shit. You're one of the rarer cases I've seen of people seemingly preferring docked though :wow.

·
You need to be yourself, you can't be no-one else.
7,174 Posts
I havnt bought any nintendo products since the wii.

no chance I would spend this on a handheld console.

·
Banned
11,533 Posts
I don't mind playing my Switch docked, it's just sometimes getting it hooked up can be a chore. Especially connecting the Switch to the Dock connectors and I'd rather not risk scratching my shit. You're one of the rarer cases I've seen of people seemingly preferring docked though :wow.
It's also a reason I have a day-one bought Switch and it is still pristine --haha. I live on the beach and the only time I use it on the go is when I'm going to lounge. We have docks in our bedroom and living room and can pop either of our Switches in whenever. I have a family account for us and I have 90% digital games so we both can play whenever. I just love how simple Switch is compared to my PS4. I play it the most out of all of anything and have this entire year probably. I've been crazy lucky with scratching I guess. But yeah, I prefer docked. I have shitty eyes so the big screen helps I guess lol.

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
If I had a Switch, I would play mostly docked. So this is a no go for me. I'm in that group that hasn't got a Nintendo console since the Wii. I have a DS, which is a great handheld.

Just out of curiosity, has anyone played Diablo on the Switch? Just curious on how it runs.

·
Banned
11,533 Posts
If I had a Switch, I would play mostly docked. So this is a no go for me. I'm in that group that hasn't got a Nintendo console since the Wii. I have a DS, which is a great handheld.

Just out of curiosity, has anyone played Diablo on the Switch? Just curious on how it runs.
I have it. Runs perfect. Lot of people who have been playing for years enjoy it on Switch more then anything else due to portability and the buttons on the Switch work very well. I'm not a huge Diablo guy so I haven't put in 100s of hours like others, but it is an amazing port.

I basically have everything decent that has come out for Switch since it released. Any questions on that end I can def help with.

·
EXCELSIOR!
16,108 Posts
As if I needed another omen of the 3DS' days being numbered. :cry

The Sword and Shield edition is far and away the best looking out of the bunch, although the teal is a comfy 2nd. The gray is too similar to a standard Switch and the yellow is just...bleh. However, this is the 2DS all over again: utterly pointless from a technical standpoint, yet nevertheless created to sucker people into buying it on the grounds of being "entry level".

·
Banned
11,533 Posts
I feel like this should be $130 for how stripped down it is, Nintendrones will buy it anyway and then buy the Switch Pro too.
Nintendo fans seem to becoming more reasonable if Reddit is any way to judge. This system is getting butchered for the price as you can get a full Switch bundle these days for like $250. It isn't a deal. The Pro on the other hand...yeah, people are going to be suckers for that.

This isn't a Nintendo thing, but more a Game Freak thing. Pokemon Sword/Shield is likely going to have a bunch of people boycotting. I don't really understand the logistics but I guess they had people upload all of their Pokemon onto some type of new Pokemon thing that is going to replace the Pokemon Box. (for a fee) Soon after, Game Freak announced that all Pokemon wouldn't be available in the new port. Lifelong players were furious. (I'm not one, just a very bored man at work on Reddit) The only way to show developers is by effecting their wallets.

·
Registered
612 Posts
I don't have a Switch and was waiting for a cheaper option and I'd play it mostly in handheld and this thing still looks incredibly uninviting. Guess I'll be getting a regular one (probably two days before the Switch Pro gets announced).
My thoughts exactly. The only plus is the longer battery life. One extra hour reportedly. But how much of that has to do with the smaller screem size and lack of blu tooth.

·
EXCELSIOR!
16,108 Posts
This isn't a Nintendo thing, but more a Game Freak thing. Pokemon Sword/Shield is likely going to have a bunch of people boycotting. I don't really understand the logistics but I guess they had people upload all of their Pokemon onto some type of new Pokemon thing that is going to replace the Pokemon Box. (for a fee) Soon after, Game Freak announced that all Pokemon wouldn't be available in the new port. Lifelong players were furious. (I'm not one, just a very bored man at work on Reddit) The only way to show developers is by effecting their wallets.
It's actually a trifecta of fuckery.

The first and most infamous issue is Sword and Shield ignoring the National Dex in favor of strictly adhering to the current regional (Galar) Pokedex. Although (Ultra) Sun and (Ultra) Moon did the same, they still allow you to move any and all Pokemon over from as far back as Gen. III, with Pokes that weren't listed in the Alolan Dexes simply having no Dex entry to register.

The second issue is the presentation. The models were effectively future proofed beginning in Gen. VI, which wouldn't be an issue if they were adjusted accordingly to adapt to stronger hardware. This started becoming noticeable when folks pointed out how the majority of attack animations are still lacking in regard to Pokemon making physical contact with each other or just being more expressive period, especially compared to the ones in the Pokemon Stadium duology's successors (Colosseum, Gale of Darkness and Battle Revolution). And, of course, there's the infamous "N64 tree" that was pointed out in the Wild Area for shits and giggles at the notion of Game Freak being lazy.

The third and final issue is the new battle mechanic gimmick called Dynamax. Basically, fans are pissed at it because it'll apparently be the only battle-oriented gimmick in the games, whereas the Alola games have both Z-Moves and Gen. VI's Mega Evolution.

On a related note, fans also view it as lazy because of it essentially combining Mega Evolution's transformation aspect and Z-Moves' superpowered attack aspect while capping it off by turning the user into a gigantic version of themselves (which goes back to the model/animation issue), when remedial changes to a ton of Pokes could've been done via new Megas or at the very least via base stat changes, moveset alterations and/or Galar-based regional variants a la the Alola variants.

As a lifelong Pokemon fan, problems 1 and 2 don't bother me too much. Due to Gen. I capping at 151, I've always preferred completing the regional Pokedex instead of the national Pokedex because of how each non-Johto game took place in just one region instead of across the world. As for the presentation issue, I'm alright with the retained animations and actually like the livelier NPCs, although stuff like the "N64 tree" is inexcusable when it's on the same system as BotW.

When it comes to issue 3, I'm pissed because of the sheer laziness behind it. Game Freak said the removal of Megas was done for balancing issues, which is nevertheless a weak-ass excuse when they could've simply altered stat spreads and/or abilities for Megas accordingly. Z-Moves not only allowed any Poke to use a potential nuke-tier attack, but also allowed for wild card strategies, so removing that was an even bigger fuck up on GF's part, in my opinion.

In the end, I still plan to get Shield while my sister nabs Sword. At this rate, however, I wouldn't be surprised if they wind up being on par with X and Y as the mid-tier Pokemon games in my personal tier list: Pretty good, but could've been so, so much more.

·
Banned
11,533 Posts
It's actually a trifecta of fuckery.

The first and most infamous issue is Sword and Shield ignoring the National Dex in favor of strictly adhering to the current regional (Galar) Pokedex. Although (Ultra) Sun and (Ultra) Moon did the same, they still allow you to move any and all Pokemon over from as far back as Gen. III, with Pokes that weren't listed in the Alolan Dexes simply having no Dex entry to register.

The second issue is the presentation. The models were effectively future proofed beginning in Gen. VI, which wouldn't be an issue if they were adjusted accordingly to adapt to stronger hardware. This started becoming noticeable when folks pointed out how the majority of attack animations are still lacking in regard to Pokemon making physical contact with each other or just being more expressive period, especially compared to the ones in the Pokemon Stadium duology's successors (Colosseum, Gale of Darkness and Battle Revolution). And, of course, there's the infamous "N64 tree" that was pointed out in the Wild Area for shits and giggles at the notion of Game Freak being lazy.

The third and final issue is the new battle mechanic gimmick called Dynamax. Basically, fans are pissed at it because it'll apparently be the only battle-oriented gimmick in the games, whereas the Alola games have both Z-Moves and Gen. VI's Mega Evolution.

On a related note, fans also view it as lazy because of it essentially combining Mega Evolution's transformation aspect and Z-Moves' superpowered attack aspect while capping it off by turning the user into a gigantic version of themselves (which goes back to the model/animation issue), when remedial changes to a ton of Pokes could've been done via new Megas or at the very least via base stat changes, moveset alterations and/or Galar-based regional variants a la the Alola variants.

As a lifelong Pokemon fan, problems 1 and 2 don't bother me too much. Due to Gen. I capping at 151, I've always preferred completing the regional Pokedex instead of the national Pokedex because of how each non-Johto game took place in just one region instead of across the world. As for the presentation issue, I'm alright with the retained animations and actually like the livelier NPCs, although stuff like the "N64 tree" is inexcusable when it's on the same system as BotW.

When it comes to issue 3, I'm pissed because of the sheer laziness behind it. Game Freak said the removal of Megas was done for balancing issues, which is nevertheless a weak-ass excuse when they could've simply altered stat spreads and/or abilities for Megas accordingly. Z-Moves not only allowed any Poke to use a potential nuke-tier attack, but also allowed for wild card strategies, so removing that was an even bigger fuck up on GF's part, in my opinion.

In the end, I still plan to get Shield while my sister nabs Sword. At this rate, however, I wouldn't be surprised if they wind up being on par with X and Y as the mid-tier Pokemon games in my personal tier list: Pretty good, but could've been so, so much more.

Thank you for explaining this. I didn’t really get what people were mad about but you summed it up well. I’ve already purchased the dual pack because I got my wife her own Switch so we each can play a version. I haven’t played a Pokémon game since Blue when I was like 12.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 24 Posts