Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used to watch in the Attitude Era until about 2002 or 2003 and I just returned a little under a year ago. Had some opinions I'd like to get others takes on.

AJ Lee-Best female character I have seen in wrestling by far. Full package. Wyatt Family would be an interesting swerve in the distant future.

ADR-Good worker except for occasional botches. Plays a bland face but a great heel. Shouldn't have a title because he has a lot of heel spots (attacks, mocking opponents, etc.)

Antonio Cesaro-One of the top workers, great charisma, somewhat bland character. Probably the most underbooked wrestler in the WWE.

Big E Langston-Great athlete and solid worker who hasn't had any subpar or excellent matches yet. Good but so far undeveloped character. They need to develop the five obsession.

Brad Maddox-Needs to be a neither heel nor face commentator not a general manager. He'd certainly be better than both Cole and Lawler.

Bray Wyatt-Cuts top notch promos. One of the wrestlers that makes me believe he is the character (even though I've seen his real life interviews. Average worker that has potential because of ring psychology and sometimes excellent spots.

Brock Lesnar-Most believable heel monster who is booked perfectly.

CM Punk-Most overrated worker. Much better promos as a heel than as a face. I really enjoyed the stuff he and Heyman were doing in the Undertaker feud but since then it has been pretty weak. Best at utilizing a vast amount of variables (Gimmick matches, storyline swerves, etc.). Even though he is an overrated worker because of his lack of athleticism and coordination his matches still deliver because of everything else going on. I don't like him as much as most but I respect how intelligently he develops his wrestling career.

Cody Rhodes-One of the top workers in WWE. One of the most versataille workers. Very good charisma but a somewhat weak character. Really great spots and names for his big two moves, Disaster Kick and Cross Rhodes. Cross Rhodes is one of my favorite finishers.

Curtis Axel-Average worker. Pretty weak gimmick. I have very little interest in him considering his manager is one of the greats.

Damien Sandow-One of the best in WWE at cutting promos. Great at everything except he is a somewhat boring worker except for a couple spots here and there.

Daniel Bryan-Probably my favorite worker. Best at going all out all the time. Everything about his matches are fun to watch. Character is very good. On and off with his promos.

Dean Ambrose-Average worker and easily the worst in The Shield. Great character and mic skills. The Shield works very well as their characters in general. One of the most believable characters.

Dolph Ziggler-One of the best entrances. Easily (with the exception of seth rollins) the best seller in WWE. Very underbooked lately. Great gimmick.

Erick Rowan-Great character, ring attire and size. Very green to start but has been improving as of late. Needs a cool new finisher.

Eva Marie-So hot, so awful.

Fandango-Best comedic character in WWE. I enjoy everything he does albeit a limited gimmick in terms of success.

The Great Khali-Circus act that shouldn't have matches on TV.

Heath Slater-Prototype jobber, entertaining.

Jack Swagger-Very poor worker but has been solid the last couple months. No charisma, Real Americans is a great gimmick that he executes much worse than Cesaro and Zeb.

JBL-Best commentator. He should contradict himself slightly less but otherwise he is entertaining.

Jerry Lawler-I enjoyed him in Attitude Era, can't stand him now.

The Usos-Very impressive workers. Best high flying tag team. Gimmick is average. Facepaint was a nice touch.

Cena-On and off with me. Overbooked obviously but still somewhat good at everything. Worst things about him are he is always a face and current ring redundant bland ring attire. Not nearly enough of a wigger for his gimmick. Best things about him are his obvious importance to WWE, theme and his top promos.

Kofi Kingston-Good worker with a below average gimmick and worst character development. Good at selling and most offense.

Luke Harper-One to watch for. Very underrated worker and character. Wrestling websites severely underrate his potential in my opinion. Exceptional big boot and clothesline. Love the yeahs during matches. Great character portrayal in his relationship with Erick Rowan. Best look in his eyes of any wrestler along with Heyman, CM Punk, Bray and Randy Orton.

The Miz-Poor worker, solid mic skills, solid character. Not much as a face but I would like to see him as a heel.

Natalya-Most overrated wrestler in WWE. I get that she can do a suplex and can leap to her feet from on her back but she is so bad at working. Can't believe how little her vast amount botches are talked about on wrestling sites. Least believable worker. She has the look on her face like she is fake wrestling.

Paul Heyman-Best mic skills in WWE. I love almost everything (sans Curtis Axel) that he's involved in.

R-Truth-Solid worker, average character. Would like to see him as the crazy heel he used to be.

Randy Orton-Great at everything except a little below average on the mic. One of my favorite characters and workers. Tremendous moves and match pace. I think he should do even more snakelike movements than the large amount he already does. Wish I was watching when he was The Legend Killer. He should set up the RKO like he used to with the knuckle pushup thing.

Ricardo-Good niche character. I liked him leaving Del Rio for a little at least but RVD was a random and pretty poor choice based on the little reasoning behind it.

RVD-Top 5 worker. Not much more to say.

Roman Reigns-Great young worker. Future singles powerhouse heel. Weak mic skills and he seems like a douche in real life. Average character but worst in The Shield. Great spear, superman punch and powerbomb.

Ryback-Below average worker. Initially hated his character but lately it has been much better with "The Big Guy" gimmick and Heyman.

Sami Zayn-Not in WWE yet but I just wanted to say he rocks.

Seth Rollins-One of the best workers in WWE. Second best seller next to Ziggler. Solid mic skills and a good character. He's good as a heel and could be even better as a face.

Sheamus-I was bored all the way up until he took the best bumps at MITB. Haven't seen him since.

Sin Cara-I'd rather go make myself a sandwich like Wyza.

Tensai-Solid worker teamed with the worst worker in the WWE other than Khali.

Titus O'Neil-One of the most underbooked wrestlers. Has high potential as both face and heel singles wrestler. I'm excited for matches between him and Darren Young if they break up and he is the heel.

Triple H-Great heel. Was doing great stuff in the month or so after the turn but has died down a bit as of late.

Vicky Guerrero-Great heel general manager. HEAT.

Wade Barrett-Great offense especially the Winds Of Change. Character is rather forgettable and very underdeveloped.

Zack Ryder-Hilarious.

Zeb Coulter-Same as Paul Heyman but I give Zeb the edge on character and Heyman the slight edge on mic skills.

Thoughts?

Reactions: LilOlMe

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just did it cause I thought it would interest me to read if it was someone else doing it. Either way it was fun to write.

·
Premium Member
1,774 Posts
AJ Lee-Best female character I have seen in wrestling by far. Full package.
Agreed.

ADR-Good worker except for occasional botches. Plays a bland face but a great heel. Shouldn't have a title because he has a lot of heel spots (attacks, mocking opponents, etc.)
Disagree. He's a bad heel and can't get heat. He's a better heel than face though.

Antonio Cesaro-One of the top workers, great charisma, somewhat bland character. Probably the most underbooked wrestler in the WWE.
Disagree on him having charisma, agree on the others.

Brock Lesnar-Most believable heel monster who is booked perfectly.
Disagree, he's booked far too weak and only has 1 clean win since his return.

Curtis Axel-Average worker. Pretty weak gimmick. I have very little interest in him considering his manager is one of the greats.
Agree, he's one of the few I change the channel over.

Daniel Bryan-Probably my favorite worker. Best at going all out all the time. Everything about his matches are fun to watch. Character is very good. On and off with his promos.
His matches are starting to get boring, predictable and repitive to me, but he used to be one of my faves.

Eva Marie-So hot, so awful.
Agreed on the awful, disagree on the hot.

JBL-Best commentator. He should contradict himself slightly less but otherwise he is entertaining.

Jerry Lawler-I enjoyed him in Attitude Era, can't stand him now.
Agreed.

Natalya-Most overrated wrestler in WWE. I get that she can do a suplex and can leap to her feet from on her back but she is so bad at working. Can't believe how little her vast amount botches are talked about on wrestling sites. Least believable worker. She has the look on her face like she is fake wrestling.
Agreed.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
bump

·
Registered
4,374 Posts
Maybe I'm slow as hell today, but I read the title as totally different in my head. Did others as well? I'd re-title it "My take on various current wrestlers & personalities" or something like that.

Interesting to read, though I may disagree with some of your thoughts. I think it's interesting to hear from someone watching with a pretty much fresh set of eyes.

Reps.

I'll address some of the stuff you said:
Not sure I understand the latter part. Why shouldn't he have the title because he has a lot of heel spots?

But anyway, definitely one of the best workers currently, and a guy whom they really haven't scratched the surface with, as far as the talents he possesses, IMO. They're pushing him hard, but they're not even utilizing him in a way that would display some of his biggest strengths. He needs to be a darker character, and would pull it off beautifully, imo. He needs to be more sadistic and mysterious. He's got very alpha qualities, but they keep wasting it on typical heel shit.

Wrote more about this here and a few posts down in that same thread.

Not seeing the charisma at all, but he hasn't been given much to work with. Hopefully they do more with his character.

CM Punk-Most overrated worker. Much better promos as a heel than as a face. I really enjoyed the stuff he and Heyman were doing in the Undertaker feud but since then it has been pretty weak. Best at utilizing a vast amount of variables (Gimmick matches, storyline swerves, etc.). Even though he is an overrated worker because of his lack of athleticism and coordination his matches still deliver because of everything else going on. I don't like him as much as most but I respect how intelligently he develops his wrestling career.
I don't think that he lacks athleticism, but I think what his problem is, is that he lacks attention to detailing. I agree about him being overrated as a worker, because I was really expecting a ton from him, and his sloppiness bothers me. What makes him watchable in the ring despite that, is that he has a ton of charisma while working. It makes his matches engrossing enough, even if I'm bothered by the lack of precision.

Punk as a promo guy, I love. Loved the promos he & Heyman were delivering at the beginning of their feud.

Damien Sandow-One of the best in WWE at cutting promos. Great at everything except he is a somewhat boring worker except for a couple spots here and there.
Only great at promos, IMO, and even that's one dimensional. His gimmick doesn't even carry over effectively into the ring, IMO. I will say that they are doing him no favors by booking him like shit. That gimmick could be used more smartly, but eh.

Cena-On and off with me. Overbooked obviously but still somewhat good at everything. Worst things about him are he is always a face and current ring redundant bland ring attire. Not nearly enough of a wigger for his gimmick. Best things about him are his obvious importance to WWE, theme and his top promos.
Wouldn't say he's good at everything, but I agree with you about him being off and on for me. I feel the same way. A lot of times I feel he gets too much shit, but then I watch old stuff and I see exactly why everyone gets annoyed with his character. You can predict what's going to happen with his matches. It's irritating as hell, especially when a match could be far more intelligently and effectively delivered. I'm talking booking now.

I love his voice, though, as well as his delivery. Shame they give him nothing of note as far as promos are concerned. My overall take is that Cena is actually more talented than we think, but is so ridiculously hamstrung by that character. It's too constraining, and I'd love to see him as an entirely different persona. Not the rapper gimmick, though. I find that horribly cheesy and not in a "so cheesy it's great" way.

Paul Heyman-Best mic skills in WWE. I love almost everything (sans Curtis Axel) that he's involved in.
Yep.

Randy Orton-Great at everything except a little below average on the mic. One of my favorite characters and workers. Tremendous moves and match pace. I think he should do even more snakelike movements than the large amount he already does. Wish I was watching when he was The Legend Killer. He should set up the RKO like he used to with the knuckle pushup thing.
He is excellent and highly underrated, and I'm glad you and I agree about this. Like you, I came back to wrestling after a long time away, and he's the one I found the most impressive. By far, even. Wrote a lot more here. That thread is great for catching up on old Orton matches, btw, if you wanted to check out some of his Legend Killer stuff.

Dolph Ziggler-One of the best entrances. Easily (with the exception of seth rollins) the best seller in WWE. Very underbooked lately. Great gimmick.
I agree he's underbooked. The Payback performance & match was what made me love wrestling again (both ADR and Dolph were great in this). The fact that the WWE went nowhere great with the both of them after that, is a testament to how shittly the WWE is ran today.

Sheamus-I was bored all the way up until he took the best bumps at MITB. Haven't seen him since.
He does nothing for me.

Titus O'Neil-One of the most underbooked wrestlers. Has high potential as both face and heel singles wrestler. I'm excited for matches between him and Darren Young if they break up and he is the heel.
People say this, but I don't see it. Maybe it's because my first time really paying attention to him was that awful little face off with Punk, which was botch-city mania! I remember thinking that I'd never seen a stiffer, worse, wrestler in my life.

On the plus side, he was pretty good in the 11-3 Shield match. The crowd actually popped for his face-off versus Reigns, so maybe there really is some potential there.

Jack Swagger-Very poor worker but has been solid the last couple months. No charisma, Real Americans is a great gimmick that he executes much worse than Cesaro and Zeb.
Has got a great look, and I like how he's much more serious in terms of facial expressions in this role. I feel like he could be a silent type, just destroying shit, with a great mouthpiece manager (basically Ryback's role), but they don't book him that way. He actually has quite a storied amateur wrestling background, so I think that he might have more potential in the ring than people give him credit for. I need to watch some old matches before I can say for sure.

I'm probably the only one on this board who found that Swagger stood out more than Cesaro did for me.

Seth Rollins-One of the best workers in WWE. Second best seller next to Ziggler. Solid mic skills and a good character. He's good as a heel and could be even better as a face.
He's got a lot of talent, and has the potential to put on some of the best matches on any card, but I'm not too sure if the WWE will invest in him properly or not.

Dean Ambrose-Average worker and easily the worst in The Shield. Great character and mic skills. The Shield works very well as their characters in general. One of the most believable characters.
He's someone who could be big if they booked him in a way that capitalized on his assets, but I have no faith in the WWE in this regard. He needs well-booked matches that come on the tail end of long storylines that involve a lot of psychological torment. He's not a guy who's ever gonna be impressive in five minute matches on RAW, IMO. He'll be a great antagonist to any top baby face, if they let him develop a full-fledged very specific character. They can't just have him be Dean Ambrose, weird and crazy guy out there. There needs to be a coherence and cohesiveness to his/their approach. He's got a lot of talent, though. Just not sure how it'd translate without the proper couching.

Bray Wyatt-Cuts top notch promos. One of the wrestlers that makes me believe he is the character (even though I've seen his real life interviews. Average worker that has potential because of ring psychology and sometimes excellent spots.
He's a great mic worker, but they're already uselessly wasting him on nonsense. Could have gone to huge places with his character, right off the bat. His ring work, though, will probably never impress.

That's enough for now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts