Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the site. First post. I have been interested in NJPW since I bought some Benoit, Mick Foley and Jericho tapes from back in the day. I haven’t followed them but since I stumbled onto the VOD on NJPW website, I have caught the itch.
Does anybody have recommendations for what PPV’s to watch? Any staples that have to be watched, etc.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Well, G1 tournament (arguably thing that NJPW is most famous for) starts this weekend so you might want to start there. Thou for newcomers it might be a bit scary since it is 19 shows in one month so people sometimes burn out before it is finished. If at some point you feel like you burned out then I recommend just skipping remaining shows and to return for final show that will have finals.

If you want to watch other big shows that had happened in the past then Wrestle Kingdom is a go to show, NJPW's Wrestlemania basically. Other than that it depends on what you are looking for since there is lots of content available.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, G1 tournament (arguably thing that NJPW is most famous for) starts this weekend so you might want to start there. Thou for newcomers it might be a bit scary since it is 19 shows in one month so people sometimes burn out before it is finished. If at some point you feel like you burned out then I recommend just skipping remaining shows and to return for final show that will have finals.

If you want to watch other big shows that had happened in the past then Wrestle Kingdom is a go to show, NJPW's Wrestlemania basically. Other than that it depends on what you are looking for since there is lots of content available.
I am ready for the start G1 this weekend. I guess maybe I should ask, what are the defining matches form the last few years?Matches that say“this is what NJPW is about”.

I watched WK from last year and really enjoyed it top to bottom.

·
Currently lying down wearing a blue suit
11,318 Posts
I am ready for the start G1 this weekend. I guess maybe I should ask, what are the defining matches form the last few years?Matches that say“this is what NJPW is about”.

Hey, I'm sure that there are plenty of NJPW fans here who can help list multiple MOTY candidates over the past several years for you.

I would do so myself, but I'm limited with the NJPW matches that I've seen.

The first NJPW match I saw was the Kenny Omega vs Chris Jericho No DQ match at Wrestle Kingdom 14, and the first NJPW event that I saw (almost) entirely live was Wrestle Kingdom 15 the following year.

It wasn't until the summer of 2019 that I started watching more NJPW matches frequently because of the G1 Climax tournament last year, and also because Jon Moxley started wrestling in NJPW back at that time. However, I picked and chose certain promising G1 tournament matches because of my schedule.

I FINALLY started watching NJPW FULL-TIME earlier this year back in January, and I can assure you that it's totally worth tuning in (bi)weekly; especially for the match-quality alone!

I'd say that Kazuchika Okada vs Kota Ibushi for the IWGP Heavyweight title at Wrestle Kingdom Night 1 is my MOTY from NJPW so far this year, so you're free to check out that incredible match out whenever you have the free time :)

I'm assuming that you're still new to NJPW, so I'd also strongly recommend that you get familiar with the likes of Tetsuya Naito (his [half] decade-long journey to where he is now as double champion is amazing), Hiroshi Tanahashi, Kazuchika Okada, and even Kenny Omega (before he left NJPW in early-2019) by checking out their highlights/matches on YouTube whenever you have the free time.

I'd also recommend you check out the background of the (former) faction members of Los Ingobernables de Japon (including EVIL) since they're all compelling characters who continue to grow as individual performers over the past few years. Naito is the leader of that faction btw :p

I say it's also important to realize that NJPW has MULTIPLE big factions, and that you might want to distinguish them from each other in order to avoid confusion in the future :LOL:

The G1 tournament begins THIS SATURDAY btw, so just know that you'll see multiple instances where faction members who are on the SAME BLOCK will inevitably face each other in singles matches (such as Tetsuya Naito vs Sanada, Kazuchika Okada vs Tomohiro Ishii, Minoru Suzuki vs Taichi, etc.) at some point over the next few weeks. Hell, maybe the winners of BOTH blocks could be members of the same stable, and they get to face each other in the finals next month!

Anyway, I'd also like to mention that it's best for you to make some free time (if you can) in your schedule to make watching the (upcoming) G1 tournament a bigger priority, so that you won't be too overwhelmed by multiple NJPW events at once (if you do fall behind). I'd also try to keep up with the NJPW schedule so that way you'll be prepared and more aware of which dates are coming up.

Please feel free to let us know how your experience as a new(er) NJPW fan goes for you from here on out! :D

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey, I'm sure that there are plenty of NJPW fans here who can help list multiple MOTY candidates over the past several years for you.

I would do so myself, but I'm limited with the NJPW matches that I've seen.

The first NJPW match I saw was the Kenny Omega vs Chris Jericho No DQ match at Wrestle Kingdom 14, and the first NJPW event that I saw (almost) entirely live was Wrestle Kingdom 15 the following year.

It wasn't until the summer of 2019 that I started watching more NJPW matches frequently because of the G1 Climax tournament last year, and also because Jon Moxley started wrestling in NJPW back at that time. However, I picked and chose certain promising G1 tournament matches because of my schedule.

I FINALLY started watching NJPW FULL-TIME earlier this year back in January, and I can assure you that it's totally worth tuning in (bi)weekly; especially for the match-quality alone!

I'd say that Kazuchika Okada vs Kota Ibushi for the IWGP Heavyweight title at Wrestle Kingdom Night 1 is my MOTY from NJPW so far this year, so you're free to check out that incredible match out whenever you have the free time :)

I'm assuming that you're still new to NJPW, so I'd also strongly recommend that you get familiar with the likes of Tetsuya Naito (his [half] decade-long journey to where he is now is amazing), Hiroshi Tanahashi, Kazuchika Okada, and even Kenny Omega (before he left NJPW in early-2019) by checking out their highlights/matches on YouTube whenever you have the free time.

I'd also recommend you check out the background of the (former) faction members of Los Ingobernables de Japon (including EVIL) since they're all compelling characters who continue to grow as individual performers over the past few years. Naito is the leader of that faction btw :p

I say it's also important to realize that NJPW has MULTIPLE big factions, and that you might want to distinguish them from each other in order to avoid confusion in the future :LOL:

The G1 tournament begins THIS SATURDAY btw, so just know that you'll see multiple instances where faction members who are on the SAME BLOCK will inevitably face each other in singles matches (such as Tetsuya Naito vs Sanada, Kazuchika Okada vs Tomohiro Ishii, Minoru Suzuki vs Taichi, etc.) at some point over the next few weeks. Hell, maybe the winners of BOTH blocks could be members of the same stable, and they get to face each other in the finals next month!

Anyway, I'd also like to mention that it's best for you to make some free time (if you can) in your schedule to make watching the (upcoming) G1 tournament a bigger priority, so that you won't be too overwhelmed by multiple NJPW events at once (if you do fall behind). I'd also try to keep up with the NJPW schedule so that way you'll be prepared and more aware of which dates are coming up.

Please feel free to let us know how your experience as a new(er) NJPW fan goes for you from here on out! :D
Thank you for the post and well said! I am definitely making the time to watch G1. Really interested in the individuals of the factions having to face each other.

·
Registered
25,252 Posts

For myself I can my fandom of NJPW really started, like others, back at WK 11 when they had the 1st Okada vs. Omega match and I've pretty much been hooked since then. If I had to give a watch list off the top of my head in the last few years, I'd think of:

WK 11: Okada vs. Omega
WK 11: Tanahashi vs. Naito
New Beginning 2017: Hiromu vs. Dragon Lee
Sakura Genesis 2017: Shibata vs. Okada
Dominion 2017: Okada vs. Omega II
Dominion 2017: Tanahashi vs. Naito
Pretty much most of the 2017 G1 but especially the last 3 big matches of Okada vs. Omega III, Tanahashi vs. Naito, and Omega vs. Naito
Strong Style Evolved: Golden Lovers vs. Young Bucks
Wrestling Dontaku 2018: Okada vs. Tanahashi
Dominion 2018: Okada vs. Omega IV
Dominion 2018: Jericho vs. Naito
Dominion 2018: Ospreay vs. Hiromu
Cow Palace Show 2018: Juice vs. White
Most of the 2018 G1
WK 13: Omega vs. Tanahashi
BOSJ Finals 2019: Mox vs. Juice
BOSJ Finals 2019: Ospreay vs. Shingo
Most of the 2019 G1
WK 14: Okada vs. Ibushi
WK 14: Jericho vs. Tanahashi
WK 14: Okada vs. Naito

And again, that's just off the top of my head. There's several more matches and guy I didn't even name.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I got caught up on G1. With Raw being pretty much unwatchable. I am really impressed with the talent and wrestling in NJPW. Hard for me too describe but it feels really good to watch wrestling and not feel like my intelligence has been insulted.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts