Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 120 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it's starting on the 5th March. A lot of big names involved of course. What matches are you looking forward to and who do you see winning this thing? I'm going to try and watch all of this if I can.

·
Premium Member
44,439 Posts
Here are my picks:

Round 1:
Hiroshi Tanahashi Vs. Toru Yano = Should be a good match. Tanahashi will probably go far into the tournament, so he is clearly going to win this one.

Kota Ibushi Vs. Doc Gallows = Keep Ibushi rolling. He'll get a victory here over his much larger adversary.

Tetsuya Naito Vs. Karl Anderson = Bullet Club won't lose all their first round matches, so Karl gets it here.

Kazuchika Okada Vs. Bad Luck Fale = Oh, a nice grudge match. Okada will get it though.

Togi Makabe Vs. Tomoaki Honma = This might be the toughest match to call in the first round. Makabe is going to face Iishi again at some point, but Honma has been putting on stellar matches and is well liked, so they might want to make him the sympathetic favorite in the tournament. There is no wrong way to go with this one, but I'll pick Makabe. Should be a great match too.

Yoshi-Hashi Vs. Yujiro Takahashi = Just to give The Bullet Club more presence in the second round.

Yuji Nagata Vs. Hirooki Goto = Should be good and I expect Nagata to win at least one or two matches so his loss will have more of an impact.

Satoshi Kojima Vs. Katsuyori Shibata = More of a toss up. I don't expect either guy to go far, but the match will be good.

Assuming I am right, lets go with Round 2

Hiroshi Tanahashi Vs. Kota Ibushi = This would be a great match to have in the tournament! I hope this happens. I'll pick Tanahashi to win what should be a stellar match, though I would be on board with an Ibushi shock victory.

Karl Anderson Vs. Kazuchika Okada = Okada's redemption continues with another win over a member of The Bullet Club.

Togi Makabe Vs. Yujiro Takahashi = Hate to have the whole Bullet Club out by round 2, but hey, dems da breaks.

Yuji Nagata Vs. Katsuyori Shibata = The veteran gets another win and advances to the third round.

Semi-Finals

Hiroshi Tanahashi Vs. Kazuchika Okada = Another classic match in their ongoing series where Okada gets another win over Tanahashi and atones for his loss at WK9.

Togi Makabe Vs. Yuji Nagata = I'll go with Makabe to defeat Nagata and move on to the finals.

Finals

Togi Makabe Vs. Kazuchika Okada = Should be a great match (I've seen one of their previous matches and it was outstanding). Since Makabe is ultimately going to go after Iishi again, I expect Okada to get the win here and go on to face AJ Styles for the IWGP Title.

I could be completely wrong about the road, but I am pretty sure Okada is going to win the tournament. They have plenty of options though.

·
Premium Member
8,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here are my picks:

Round 1:
Hiroshi Tanahashi Vs. Toru Yano = Should be a good match. Tanahashi will probably go far into the tournament, so he is clearly going to win this one.

Kota Ibushi Vs. Doc Gallows = Keep Ibushi rolling. He'll get a victory here over his much larger adversary.

Tetsuya Naito Vs. Karl Anderson = Bullet Club won't lose all their first round matches, so Karl gets it here.

Kazuchika Okada Vs. Bad Luck Fale = Oh, a nice grudge match. Okada will get it though.

Togi Makabe Vs. Tomoaki Honma = This might be the toughest match to call in the first round. Makabe is going to face Iishi again at some point, but Honma has been putting on stellar matches and is well liked, so they might want to make him the sympathetic favorite in the tournament. There is no wrong way to go with this one, but I'll pick Makabe. Should be a great match too.

Yoshi-Hashi Vs. Yujiro Takahashi = Just to give The Bullet Club more presence in the second round.

Yuji Nagata Vs. Hirooki Goto = Should be good and I expect Nagata to win at least one or two matches so his loss will have more of an impact.

Satoshi Kojima Vs. Katsuyori Shibata = More of a toss up. I don't expect either guy to go far, but the match will be good.

Assuming I am right, lets go with Round 2

Hiroshi Tanahashi Vs. Kota Ibushi = This would be a great match to have in the tournament! I hope this happens. I'll pick Tanahashi to win what should be a stellar match, though I would be on board with an Ibushi shock victory.

Karl Anderson Vs. Kazuchika Okada = Okada's redemption continues with another win over a member of The Bullet Club.

Togi Makabe Vs. Yujiro Takahashi = Hate to have the whole Bullet Club out by round 2, but hey, dems da breaks.

Yuji Nagata Vs. Katsuyori Shibata = The veteran gets another win and advances to the third round.

Semi-Finals

Hiroshi Tanahashi Vs. Kazuchika Okada = Another classic match in their ongoing series where Okada gets another win over Tanahashi and atones for his loss at WK9.

Togi Makabe Vs. Yuji Nagata = I'll go with Makabe to defeat Nagata and move on to the finals.

Finals

Togi Makabe Vs. Kazuchika Okada = Should be a great match (I've seen one of their previous matches and it was outstanding). Since Makabe is ultimately going to go after Iishi again, I expect Okada to get the win here and go on to face AJ Styles for the IWGP Title.

I could be completely wrong about the road, but I am pretty sure Okada is going to win the tournament. They have plenty of options though.
Interesting analysis here mate but you really think Styles is gonna lose the title that quickly? Because I can't see Okada losing if he goes against AJ again especially after losing at WK9. Which is partly why I don't see Okada winning the NJcup personally. I don't think they'd put all the titles back on BC just for them to lose the most important one at the next big PPV.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
It's worth noting that the winner can choose an IWGP, IC or NEVER title shot, which makes the whole thing less predictable and keeps the BC representatives in the picture.

The most obvious outcome is Okada earning another crack at AJ, but I wouldn't write off Goto, Shibata or even Ibushi as Styles' next challenger. Praying we get that Tana vs. Ibushi quarter final.

All in all, looks like being a cracking tournament.

·
Premium Member
8,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's worth noting that the winner can choose an IWGP, IC or NEVER title shot, which makes the whole thing less predictable and keeps the BC representatives in the picture.
Woah, I didn't know that!

That makes things even more interesting. My dream scenario is Ibushi beating Tana so we get Okada vs Ibushi as well but I can't see Tana going out that early to be honest.

·
Is a Snit Head
22,306 Posts
The brackets are really intriguing because there are a bunch of scenarios that seems possible.

You can get Okada/Tanahashi or you can have either guy wrestle a series of Bullet Club members. Shibata and Goto can end up wrestling each. Bullet Club members could end up facing off. A few crazy matches that could happen. I'm intrigued with the brackets to say the least.

·
Premium Member
2,486 Posts
I could honestly see somebody like Bad Luck Fale winning & going after the IC title, or somebody winning the IC title & then joining the BC - something like that. More then likely not but who knows, maybe Jado & Gedo are hitting the pipe again. :p

·
Premium Member
44,439 Posts
The brackets are really intriguing because there are a bunch of scenarios that seems possible.

You can get Okada/Tanahashi or you can have either guy wrestle a series of Bullet Club members. Shibata and Goto can end up wrestling each. Bullet Club members could end up facing off. A few crazy matches that could happen. I'm intrigued with the brackets to say the least.
Oh wow, I didn't even think of that one! That'd be cool.

·
Is a Snit Head
22,306 Posts
Just looking at the brackets it could happen in the second round and I don't think it's too unlikely that it happens. I mean it's not like Kojima or Nagata are going to win the tournament.

·
Registered
6,217 Posts
I'm thinking Fale or Shibata wins this.

However, due to the brackets and the winner can go for different belts, it is very unpredictable. What I'm almost certain of though is Tana and Okada won't face off in this. That's why Fale is in my prediction. However Shibata dropping the tag belt so soon, he could be going all the way.

·
Is a Snit Head
22,306 Posts
I can see Okada winning the Climax later on as I think the perfect story is him staying away from the title and redeeming himself at Wrestle Kingdom next year either against Styles or Tanahashi.

Meaning I can see Fale and the Bullet Club screwing Okada over in the first round.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I can see Okada winning the Climax later on as I think the perfect story is him staying away from the title and redeeming himself at Wrestle Kingdom next year either against Styles or Tanahashi.

Meaning I can see Fale and the Bullet Club screwing Okada over in the first round.
This makes sense

·
Registered
76 Posts
I hope Fale wins just because

·
Is a Snit Head
22,306 Posts
My pick is Ibushi winning the whole thing setting up a rematch between him and Nakamura.
That would be great but he would have to go over some really big names for that to happen. I mean Okada and Tanahashi are on the same side of the brackets as him.

Some interesting scenarios predicted ITT. Everyone's gonna be so pissed when Makabe wins & challenges Ishii.
It just seems like a waste to win a 16 person tournament and then challenge for that title. At best it's the 3rd most prestigious belt in New Japan and I think you might be able to argue that the tag titles and even the Junior Heavyweight title are more valuable.

·
1/100
7,729 Posts
Fale is winning this. Just seems like something Gedo and Jado would do.

Fale then challenges for the IC, beats Nakamura, and that finally allows Shinsuke to go after the Heavyweight.

Will mark for Shibata, though.

·
Is a Snit Head
22,306 Posts
I don't really that happening with the brackets. In order for Fale to win he would have to go over Okada in a singles match. Then Naito or Anderson (probably Naito because I don't see him wrestling Anderson). After that he would have to go over Tanahashi or Ibushi. And then he would still have to win the finals, thought I feel like someone from the top bracket is going to win the whole thing. If Fale was down at the bottom of the brackets and could beat some lesser names in order to advance I might see that happening. But I don't see it happening with the guys he would have to go over.

1 - 20 of 120 Posts