Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Post McMahon Era
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Wrestling Observer is reporting that in light of the current and steady decline in WWE PPV buys, the company has been discussing the idea of running live pre-game shows before PPV's like they used to do in the past. Sunday Night Heat generally served as the live pre-game show which would feature final build for the PPV and sometimes offer a bonus match. The hope is that a live pre-game show will generate some late buys for PPVs.
IMO they should just bring back Sunday Night Heat. I loved that show espically the day they would have a PPV. I just wanted to see what the set up would look like.

We did get a bonus match when they would have a PPV. So I think they should bring back Heat. I remember when The Rock fought Mankind in an Empty Arena Match during the SuperBowl one year, that was Awesome.

·
Premium Member
6,817 Posts
Then need to cut 2 PPVs and then do this. I'd be so into it. It would only add to the night and feature another hour of Wrestling, even if it is just extra build.

·
Registered
14,223 Posts
Personally I think this is what they need to do.

One of the complaints from WWE fans over the past few years has been about the overwhelming number of PPVs that WWE has on their schedule. The number of PPVs lead to poorly build programs and to more fans going to streams.

In 2009, WWE had 14 PPVs. This year they reduced the number by one but that won't really make a difference. In these tough economic times fans aren't going to pull out $40 out of their pockets every three to four weeks and in Hell in a Cell's case two weeks.

Let's not forget about the ridiculous gimmick PPVs with names like Fatal 4 Way and Elimination Chamber. I guess the writers think that the name of the PPV is what brings buys. Go figure.

They need to lower the number and the perfect number is 10.

The Schedule

Ten PPVs is a good number to build a good PPV schedule. It gives the WWE room to build PPVs and to put fans pockets off the hook for a bit. Sure Vince wants to make money but by increasing the quality of PPV build, he might convince fans to buy PPVs. Is not impossible to do.

The schedule should look something like this.

Royal Rumble-Second biggest PPV of the year and will stay like that forever. Takes place at the last Sunday of January.

No Way Out-Like I said earlier there is no need for the cheesy gimmick match name. However, I do like the tradition of having Elimination Chamber matches for this PPV. Takes place mid-February

Wrestlemania-Biggest PPV of the year. Early April.

Backlash-Last Sunday of April.

King of the Ring- This PPV will take place in mid-June. Notice that I skipped the month of May for PPVs. This gives fans a breather plus WWE can build the PPV. From the end of April until mid-June that's about 6 weeks of build for King of the Ring. They can start with a huge tournament with 32 people and have qualifying matches until the final 8 face off on PPV. As far as the main event goes have the WWE Champion face off against the World Heavyweight Champion. That's a total of eight matches for this PPV. Also have the winner of the tournament getting a title shot at the next PPV.

Night of Champions- Good tradition. Not a five star PPV by any means but good PPV nonetheless. Like I said have the King of the Ring winner get a title shot to create some buzz. This PPV takes place mid-July.

SummerSlam-Biggest party of the summer. Sure hasn't felt like it for a while. This PPV takes place at the end of August. That's about 6 weeks of build for this PPV.

Unforgiven-This will be a RAW exclusive PPV. Just to switch up things a bit. This PPV takes place the third Sunday of September.

No Mercy-This will be a Smackdown exclusive PPV. Takes place mid-October. About 3 weeks of build just like Unforgiven.

Survivor Series- This PPV takes place at the end of November. Instead of having a Bragging Rights match have a traditional 5 on 5 Survivor Series match between RAW and Smackdown. Takes place at the end of November which gives it about 6 weeks of build. This will be the last PPV of the year which gives WWE a lot of time to hype the Royal Rumble.

Conclusion

WWE has too many PPVs. They need to eliminate a couple of them.
I would do that plus add the pre-show. It would definitely bring some interest back into WWE PPVs.

·
Purebred Powerhouse
5,754 Posts
Ten pay-per-views seems like a happy medium. WWE would still be able to saturate the market, but they'd also be giving the fans a bit of relief. I think it's realistic.

Of course, I still think it's too many on a personal level. But, from a business perspective, I think it's reasonable.

·
Registered
7,449 Posts
I like the ten PPV's a year, but I don't think the WWE would realistically drop below 12. As for Heat I agree, I wrote that on another thread before.

·
These days I find beauty as depressing as years be
13,970 Posts
Maybe they should do packages? I remember(correct me if i'm wrong) there would be a package for 3ppvs in one price basically getting one for free. I think they did it with (Royal Rumble, No Way Out, Wrestlemania)

·
Banned
4,120 Posts
Maybe they should do packages? I remember(correct me if i'm wrong) there would be a package for 3ppvs in one price basically getting one for free. I think they did it with (Royal Rumble, No Way Out, Wrestlemania)
Yeah, a couple years ago they did those three for $99. That was a great price.

·
Bowing down to the BEAST INCARNATE
4,564 Posts
How about they actually book something on their PPVs that would make people actually want to buy them live. What I've seen basically for the past 4 years is the same thing we see on RAW & SD! minus the backstage nonsense.

·
62 Posts
Nothing is going to help buy rates when people can get them online, why would someone pay $50 for a mediocre ppv when they can get it for free? When I do watch ppvs I buy them, because I like supporting the product but at the same time I refuse to spend over $500 a year on them. WWE desperately need to cut down on the number of ppvs or lower the price.

·
Registered
6,426 Posts
They need to reduce the amount of PPVs. Thats what they need to do. We just had a PPV in a time-span of 2 or 3 weeks. For a fan to fork out $40 for a rushed card doesn't seem like a good idea you know.

·
Registered
4,592 Posts
DERP. Or how bout this? LOWER. THE. PRICE.

$20 = PPV buyrates skyrocket

$10 = 95% of all WWE fans would start ordering 95% of all PPVS that ever happen.

$10 X like 2,000,000 > $40 X like 50,000

·
Premium Member
43,668 Posts
I have an idea: How about writing better shows that build feuds I actually want to see a conclusion too rather than trying to sell PPVs on a gimmick?

Or how about lowering the prices? That might help a little bit too.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts