Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
If this is a re-post then close this thread.

What he says about being champion is the most significant part. It really shows how he may be contemplating retirement.

http://www.postcity.com/Eat-Shop-Do/Do/February-2011/The-Edge-From-Orangville-to-WWE-champ/

How did a boy from Orangeville become the WWE World Heavyweight Champion?

I won a contest by the Toronto Star. You had to write an essay about why you wanted to be a wrestler, and the winner would get free training. So I thought, "OK, this is my shot." So I wrote this essay and the manager said, "Come on down so we can take a look at you." So I went down the next week, no insurance on my car, made it down there. They called me and said, "OK, you're the guy, we're going to train you for free." Coming from a single-parent household, I would not have been able to afford the $3,000 at 17 years old to start. I would have eventually done it somehow, but that sped up the process massively.

What was your argument in your essay?

I basically said I’m willing to starve to make it. It didn't expect it to be all limousines and things like that. I assumed it was going to be pretty lean for a long time, and maybe for the entire career. But I just wanted to do it.

And was it pretty lean?

It was pretty lean for the first five years or so. A good payday was $75 a night, but you'd have to usually drive 20 hours to get to it, so you'd spend more than that in gas. I remember doing shows in little pubs and taverns in Toronto where I'd pay for my wrestling licence, which was $75, and then get paid $40. You did it to cut your teeth and get some form of experience and just get your name out there.

What was your big break?

I went to college for radio broadcasting at Humber with the mindset of "OK, this will help me with my delivery and my timing," because you've got to hit a radio spot right at that point — "OK, 30 seconds, you gotta hit it!" — and so if I got injured wrestling at least I had a backup plan. A week after I finished college, with my marks hanging over my head so I was stressed, I got a call from WWE. They said they needed someone to fill in at Copps Coliseum. I didn't have a car and my buddy had to come pick me up. I was 22 and just went out and did what I could to make an impression. After that I went to Japan, all across Canada to get more experience, but at least [the WWE] knew I was alive. About a year later, I got signed.

But then in your WWE debut, you legitimately injured your opponent, right?

Yeah, I had probably the worst debut you could imagine.

How awkward was that conversation afterwards?

Well, they took him to the hospital so I didn't even get to talk to him. The really awkward moment was where the ref was like, "He's knocked out." And I'm like, "Oh god! This is my debut?" I think you can actually see me say, "Oh sh*t". And I was genuinely concerned for him, too. After that, there are only two ways to go: up, or out of the company. Luckily, they kept me around.

Your finishing move is called The Edgucator. Remind me how that one goes?

Well, I have a few. The main one is called "The Spear," but yeah, I cheesily tried to incorporate "Edge" into as many moves as I could. There's "the Edgecution," "the Edgucation," "the Edgumatic." I also have "the Con-chair-to," which is hitting a guy with two chairs, but now because we don't hit people in the head with chairs, I do it to the knees and stuff like that.

Man‚ you need a brand manager for all these moves.

Yeah — you know I think I do have a brand manager I'm pretty sure. Somewhere in the hierarchy of this company there's a brand manager for me.

So now that you're the world heavyweight champion, what's next on your to-do list?

Honestly, it's going to sound stupid, but this is the tenth time I got it. I always said I'd do it once, so anything else from here is like bonus. Honestly, now I'm starting to think of things I want to do after. I want to train and make an attempt at Everest. I don't know if I'll ever be able to do it, but I think it would be cool to give it a shot. I still love it, it's the greatest gig in the world for me, but I know my body can't keep up with what my mind is telling me.

Are there any surprises in store for your return to Ricoh Coliseum?

Well, I've never been to Ricoh, not for a Marlies game, not anything, so I'll try to plan something out. I think it might be a fans' choice match, where they get to decide what they see. So that should make it fun. I'll find some way to make it fun. I'll get a hockey stick or we'll use the boards or something. I'll find a way to put some Canadian flavour in it.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Re: New Edge interview

Nice find. I think you might be right about Edge contemplating retirement by the sounds of this interview, he's admitting what the IWC has been saying that he's just not up to it at his age.

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: New Edge interview

Trust me he will. If not then his final match should be against Cena as that was Edge's greatest feud ever.
I disagree. His best feud was with Undertaker in 2007-2008. He main-evented Wrestlemania for the first time, and they had 4 great matches together.

Edge himself also said that his feud with Taker' is his best.

·
FEED ME LESS!
3,834 Posts
Re: New Edge interview "I'm starting to think of things I want to do after [wrestling

This upsets me but makes more then perfect sense. Its just like with Jericho really, hes on his way out, however long this title reign lasts with him, will be determined with what he wants in his future after it all ends.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Re: New Edge interview "I'm starting to think of things I want to do after [wrestling

I still remember edge eliminating gildberg in the rumble in 1999. I've always liked edge.

·
Registered
34 Posts

Edge should lose clean to Alberto Del Rio to truly push him over the edge if he is contemplating retirement

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Edge should lose clean to Alberto Del Rio to truly push him over the edge if he is contemplating retirement
Alberto Del Rio is a heel.

He should not get a clean win over Edge, nor does he need one.

And Edge will retire next year, so he will be at Wrestlemania 28. Let him put over someone then.

He's lost 4 Manias' in a row - 3 of which were title matches. Let him win this year. It's his last chance to do so.

·
Registered
34 Posts

I like Edge, but I kinda wanna see Del Rio win the title.

·
Asuka
96,572 Posts

Del Rio losing to Edge would be SUCH a stupid move. Del Rio's going to win and rightfully so. Edge is over the hill, he's been overpushed to 10 world titles, which means he'll get no benefit out of winning and they'll make Del Rio 5x bigger than he already would be by just winning the title outright any other time than if it happens at WM.

·
There is no duty we so much underrate as... being
19,155 Posts

I agree. They've carefully built Del Rio up so that it would be very much believable if he were to beat Edge, cleanly, via submission in the center of the ring at Wrestlemania. He beat Rey Mysterio in his first match in WWE in roughly the same manner. Such a loss would do nothing to hurt Edge and do everything to help make Del Rio into one of WWE's next top stars. Edge will be gone by springtime 2012, while Del Rio will probably be around for another seven years or so.

·
"MINUS FIVE STARS"
1,858 Posts

They took the risk with pushing Miz to the title, and it's worked. Now it's Del Rio's turn. This is going to be a good year for both of them.

·
Registered
241 Posts

I still mark for Edge so I'd love to see him retain the title at Wrestlemania personally.

However, I don't think there's much doubt that Del Rio winning will be a better move for the company.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts

Edge vs. Christian: High-profiled feud.

Do that before Edge retires/takes a long break.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts