Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So now that BFG is over and all the belts have changed hands, what do you expect from TNA going into the future? Will AJ Styles have a lengthy reign? Who will he feud with? With Abyss back, what's gonna happen now with Eric Young? Is Magnus gonna turn heel? Lots of questions arose at tonight's pay-per-view.

I'm hoping TNA really brings their A-game with Thursday's Impact. Hopefully Styles opens the show and absolutely goes off. And hopefully Angle gets his shit together and truly becomes "the best he's ever been" or whatever. I wouldn't mind Aries and Roode being at the top again and having several quality matches, no matter who the opponent is. Here's to hoping the next few months see some epic TV on a weekly basis.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Abyss "returning" probably means nothing, we'll be seeing Park for the next few months then a random Abyss return. I'd much rather have Abyss than Park.

For Magnus, I think tonight was hinting at a heel turn although I hope not. He has tons of potential to be a big face.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
^ Exactly, Magnus needs to remain a face and really get over. Then if he turned heel down the road it'd be a bit more meaningful.

·
Banned
8,267 Posts
Creatively they need something fresh.

AJ Styles as World Champ? Seen it. Young rookie disrespecting a veteran and turning heel? Seen it. Abyss returning and disappearing for months on end? Seen it. "I don't know if I can compete anymore" story line? Seen it.

Give me something new. It doesn't have to be amazing but just something average that is fresh would make me very happy. And how about a random surprise every now and then?

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
^ I agree totally, there are a few random surprises here and there, but it's usually not a good thing.

·
Lets go to the old mill anyway, get some cider!
15,626 Posts
I'd put Roode and AJ Into a title program first off, Roode really is their most credible contender and him and AJ have great chemistry.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Use Roode's win to move him into the World Championship picture. AJ/Roode feud to Genesis.

For some reason, I really want to see an Aries/EC3 feud. I think it could be gold if done right.

Bad Influence/BroMans feud. I'm seeing BroMans becoming baby faces, as they really started to win over the crowd. To shake that feud up, bring back the Young Bucks at some point.

If we are doing the Angle (can't go anymore) story line, stick him with Hardy.

Not sure what to do with Storm, Gunner, Joe, ect... TNA needs to bring back a mid card belt. Too many stars kind of floating in the middle right now.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
They need a creative shift and they don't need to bounce back into a Ray vs Styles angle. The next big match is AJ vs Aries Part 3, and I think Aries wins.

Bully Ray is murdering their ratings and attendance. The general audience doesn't like the guy in a legitimate disinterested way.

The next thing they need to do is make the X world title officially open weight while enforcing the heavyweight world title's weight limit. The X world title should become the top tier title-- the one where a cruiserweight could face a heavyweight or a superheavyweight.

The tag division has to be relaunched entirely. The tag division is just an awful mess right now. The best team they have is branded Bro Mans... creative really just don't give a $%#$. They need teams with names and they need some main event talent in the tag division (The Hardy Brothers).

The theme going forward for the company should be variety. They need to be looking for variety when creating characters and casting new wrestlers. They need masked luchadores. They need masked Japanese wrestlers. They need to utilize the black talent they have signed (Rampage, King Mo, Kenny King). I feel like they keep trying to cast the same ideal of a white wrestler over and over. I don't want every wrestler to look the same or to be a pretty boy and I don't want every wrestler to wrestle the same.

They need variety in formating their show. Instead of twelve heavyweights chasing the heavyweight belt, feature a light heavyweight against a super heavyweight, a tag match, a women's match, a women's tag match, and then two heavyweights chasing the heavyweight strap. If everyone is after the same belt then nobody gets over-- nobody gets the spotlight.

·
Intoner
6,590 Posts
Possible feuds:

Styles vs. Magnus, Roode, Hardy, Aries, Joe (I want to believe his reign will be long)
Bully vs. Anderson
Kim vs. Tapa (their tandem will broke up eventually, just a matter of time)
EY & Park vs. BI
Sabin vs. Manik (Manik - 2 time x champ)

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
If I were them I'd just turn storm heel and let him and styles feud in the main event with the premise being storm just like styles has been with this company since day one and you don't see him bitching and moaning and throwing temper tantrums he just shows up, does his job, makes his money and drinks his beer.

You could run with that for a while, you can have Sabin and Aries feud in the x division.

I'd just cut the throat of aces and eights let in die have Knox finally stand up for himself and feud with bully a little have Garrett turn on Knox and be bully's suck boy until an epic beating of Garrett by knux.

I'd have the mem transition into a full on feud with ego having Magnus going cockier and cockier until he finally turns heel. Setting up future matches between him and joe and eventually him and angle with Magnus going over.

By next year's by for glory I'd have Jeff hardy as champion and have him putting ore Magnus. Making Magnus a star.

Just a few thoughts on the direction I would go.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I love TNA. I love their talent. But, it's time they finally realize that they aren't, and will never be the WWE, which imo, is a good thing. And no, not interested in starting a debate on which promotion is better, just my opinion.

Looking at some of AJ's old footage in BFG, I found myself really missing the 6-sided ring. It gave us some pretty interesting moves in the past, with the possibility of working with more angles. And Ultimate X in a 4-sided ring just isn't the same. So first move I would make, would be to bring back the old ring.

And speaking of the X-division, they really HAVE to give it a higher status. Back in the days, we had X matches headlining PPV's and, arguably, has given us some of the best matches in company history. AJ vs Daniels vs Joe anyone? But, more importantly, back in the days, main eventers went after the X division, because it had prestige! Today, if AJ, or even Daniels, would go after the X belt, it would be seen as a step backwards from being in the main event scene, and that's a crying shame! Option 3 with the X belt is a decent idea, yea, but it also lowers the status of the X division to being a second tier belt.

So step 2 would be to raise the status of the X division to BEING ON PAR with the World Heavyweight Championship. Would give room for more interesting matches/feuds for legit wrestlers like Aries, Joe, Daniels and others stuck in the mid-card.

End the stables crap, or make it interesting at least. Immortal and Aces & Eights were boring from the start, and got worse and worse as time went on. Small stables, like the old Christian's Coalition with just a handful of members helping eachother out is fine, but going over and over again with stables "taking over the promotion", no thanks. So step 3 would be to end the big stables angles.

Step 4 could be more controversial, but, to differentiate themselves more from the WWE, promote and reward the wrestlers with most in-ring talent. Small fast guys should beat the big strong ones in TNA. I don't mind that they gave Bully Ray a title run, god knows he deserves it for all the years he's been in the business, but to have him be a dominant force doesn't work, imo. Big guys can be used as muscle for heels, to be used in sneak attacks, sucker punches and so forth, but in a fair fight, let the talented wrestler win (most of the times). AJ Styles is the posterboy for TNA, and I'm very glad they made him champ now. For a few years, it just felt that the most talented wrestler on the roster was nothing more than a "jobber for the stars", used to put up a good show, but never winning the big matches. AJ not only has arguably the most exciting offense of any main eventer in any promotion, but rarely have I seen anyone take a bumb as well as him. He doesn't get enough credit for his "defensive job" #PleaseDontDie.

Seriously, does anyone really miss Crimson? Matt Morgan? But I bet a whole lot of you miss Jay Lethal, Alex Shelley, Petey Williams and maybe even Amazing Red.

So in recap, this is what I would do:
1. 6-sided ring
2. Higher status to the X division
3. No more big stables
4. No more big, dominant wresters (and they are starting to acknowledge that, it seems)
5. (Bonus) AND FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, DON'T TURN ULTIMATE X INTO A (simple) LADDER MATCH!!!

·
The human torch was denied a bank loan.
7,576 Posts
Go back to your roots, which is what made you "popular" in the first place. Start off the show with fast paced X Division action, bring in great talent from Mexico and Japan, less "entertainment" crap, more wrestling. I remember when NWATNA started the IWC was loving it due to the focus put on fast paced entertaining wrestling. You've got AJ Styles, THE posterboy of the X Division back in the day as your World Champ, use him well. First have Styles beat Ray again fully destroying their horrible stable, then you can do AJ/Aries and I'd love AJ/Joe with Joe coming off a heel undefeated streak. Start actively recruiting top indy talent instead of letting them go to NXT.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If I were them I'd just turn storm heel and let him and styles feud in the main event with the premise being storm just like styles has been with this company since day one and you don't see him bitching and moaning and throwing temper tantrums he just shows up, does his job, makes his money and drinks his beer.

You could run with that for a while, you can have Sabin and Aries feud in the x division.

I'd just cut the throat of aces and eights let in die have Knox finally stand up for himself and feud with bully a little have Garrett turn on Knox and be bully's suck boy until an epic beating of Garrett by knux.

I'd have the mem transition into a full on feud with ego having Magnus going cockier and cockier until he finally turns heel. Setting up future matches between him and joe and eventually him and angle with Magnus going over.

By next year's by for glory I'd have Jeff hardy as champion and have him putting ore Magnus. Making Magnus a star.

Just a few thoughts on the direction I would go.
That sounds awesome, but I'd want to see AJ hold the belt for an entire year and take on the winner of the BFG Series (preferably Hardy or Magnus).

·
Banned
8,267 Posts
Here would be some of my ideas:

- The talent is very stale right now. I'd start letting some people go. Christopher Daniels should go, Kazarian should go, maybe Abyss and Joe also. Not because they're bad but honestly what else can they do in TNA that is fresh? The roster is so tiny that these guys probably wrestle eachother 3-4 times a year.

- With this new money I'd sign equal level talents. For example Joe would be replaced by Morrison. Daniels maybe replaced by Masters. With Kazarians money maybe I bring in a top indy guy with a small WWE background (Low Ki would of been perfect here) this way I have a fresh main event scene with a few new faces. If TNA can afford this without releasing people then you wouldn't need to fire anyone

- Once I have a few new ex WWE main eventers I'd feed them to current World Champion AJ Styles. AJ ultimately should be having a 3 month reign max before dropping it to either Angle, Magnus or Roode. I'd have Roode beat him and go on a long title run where he beats my new main eventers, my old main eventers and then claims he's the greatest of all time. Of course someone interrupts (Preferably someone fresh) and we get a big feud running into Bound For Glory 2014 where he loses the belt

- I'd improve the X-Division. A couple of big names and a lot of talented independent guys could make this entertaining. No more Aries, Hardy or Joe as they are above it and clearly aren't motivated in X-Division matches

- I'd also overhaul the entire creative staff and get fresh people in with fresh ideas. Not indy bookers or anything like that but guys who have good and new ideas. The current people involved aren't doing well at all although I am willing to give Eric until the re birth before I say he's completely shit

- Basically the product needs to be freshened up. The roster is boring and stale, the story lines are as well and everything seems like a repeat of something that happened a year earlier.

·
Fire, walk with me
8,000 Posts
AJ/Roode feud definitely works. Roode gave AJ his best match in a while in their May impact match last year which rocked. Can't think of anything AJ's done since then which was better. Plus main event heel Bobby Roode is totally rad.

Abyss can fuck off forever plz and thanks. Much prefer that brother of his.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Yeah, I co-sign the back to basics idea with TNA. Considering they are going back to Orlando, bring back the 6 sided ring, continue to focus on homegrown guys (that includes Ethan too).

And get rid of that dumb ramp.

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App

·
Banned
15,929 Posts
Just give Roode everything, but first let AJ run with ball again, we need 4-5 quality title defenses. I'd also like to experiment with Gunner down the road, give him a steady push, let's see if it works...

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
other than bringing in new people, is there anything TNA can do that is new? I imagine no matter what TNA was to come up with, people will complain that is was done somewhere before in wrestling either almost the same or similar.
do people complain this much in sports? ..another deep touchdown pass, OMG that's been done so many times, how about coming up with something new. :argh:
even if TNA does try something new, people would shit all over it saying it's not a good idea. Aces and Eights were new, with the whole group in the beginning attacked while masked. yet a lot of people never liked it from day 1.

·
Registered
114 Posts
other than bringing in new people, is there anything TNA can do that is new? I imagine no matter what TNA was to come up with, people will complain that is was done somewhere before in wrestling either almost the same or similar.
do people complain this much in sports? ..another deep touchdown pass, OMG that's been done so many times, how about coming up with something new. :argh:
even if TNA does try something new, people would shit all over it saying it's not a good idea. Aces and Eights were new, with the whole group in the beginning attacked while masked. yet a lot of people never liked it from day 1.
Totally agree, alot of people hate simply because it is TNA and they all want TNA to fail.

I think that would be a terrible terrible thing for the business, alternatives are great.

I have liked the Aces and Eights the entire time and never thought it was a rip-off. Do i think TNA has done way too many stables? Why hell yes i do but Ace's kept me entertained. I still like the things they are doing now.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts