Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I think game 4 of the NBA finals really opened up a discussion here. While there will be some crossover, using examples, this is a separate issue on how the NBA overall should function in enforcing rules.

First, let's talk Technicals.

BENCH PLAYERS:
As it stands, there's really no standard for a technical foul on a bench player. Using Game 4, Dante Jones was merely chirping with Kevin Durant from the Cavs bench, something that is common in the NBA, and got T'd up. It didn't look like much of a heated conversation either.

So is there a difference between a bench player trash talking a player on the court vs. Two on-court players trash talking? If so, why? Are we prepared to try to enforce it? Do we WANT to enforce it?

PLAYERS VS. OFFICIALS
As it stands, there's really not much of a standard here either.

• Players constantly talk to refs between plays
  • Players constantly cry and gasp in horror when their attempt to drive isn't rewarded with a trip to the line, but usually while their running back up the floor, even if the complaining prevents a successful return to defense.
  • I'm not a fan of this stuff, but this appears to be the lighter part of this arena, and shouldn't necessarily be penalized.

Now let's talk Draymond Green, who routinely does far more than that.

• He punches the air right in front of refs faces
  • He yells multiple cuss words either away from refs because of calls that all can see and hear, or even at officials to their faces.

I get he's a passionate player, a chesty player, but the refs appear to call him differently in order to put up with his bravado behavior.

They didn't as such with Rasheed Wallace back in the 2000's, who by comparison looks like a Buddhist Monk compared to Green. Yet, Wallace set the record for T's in a season, and would constantly get T's in the playoffs, doing far less than what Green does today.

While I don't demand players to play like squares, I think that if you can't keep yourself composed on the court, and it takes away from the game, it shouldn't be put up with. It's one thing to whine, it's another to angrily flex, cuss, and swing arms around in defiance of the NBA rules and referees.

CHANGING TECHNICALS
This one was a bad, bad look for the NBA. Retroactively changing a technical foul from a player to a coach, when the scorers had already booked the foul. Sure, the refs might have screwed up, but that was in the first half, and now we were deep into the third. It's safe to come up with 2 conclusions from the Green/Kerr technical occurrence:

• There's a different standard for a person's first and second technical foul.
  • The refs, clearly overmatched in this game, didn't want to face Draymond Green missing another game 5, and allowed him different standards than all the other players on the court.

I know the NBA is now saying it was "just a mix-up, oopsie!", but that really doesn't cut it. It looks like an agenda to save face. The Warriors entire explanation of their collapse last year seems to stem around Draymond Green being suspended for Game 5 (even though he played in the Game 6 and 7 losses..)

FLAGARANT FOULS
There appears to not be much of a standard for flagarent fouls either, including what is reviewed and what is ignored.

To reference Game 4

• Draymond Green's non-basketball wild arm swing at head-level while on Shumpert's hip (knowing he was there) wasn't reviewed. By definition, that's a flagarent foul entirely. Much like Ron Artest on James Harden back in the day. Multiple Cavs wanted the play reviewed, the refs refused.
  • Kevin Love's follow through on a block attempt that smacked Kevin Durant's head WAS reviewed and called a flagarent foul (seemingly per Durant's request, and only because of his request). Love, while clearly hitting Durant's head, could actually be explained as an attempt on the ball. It was a basketball move, but, if the standard is any hit to the head, it should have been called.
  • Zsa Zsa Pachulia's 2nd punch to the groin of Shumpert wasn't even called a foul, much less reviewed. Multiple Cavs pointed it out and wanted the play reviewed, the refs again refused the Cavs suggestion (although they seamlessly obliged Durant's). Granted, the play was scrappy, and Korver and Shumpert were all over Zsa Zsa (a foul could have been called on Korver easy), but the fact is, in the NBA finals, when there's a loose ball, it's often "whoever gets it". The jump ball was the correct call, and even the "get off me" first push by Pachulia was fine, but not the second punch. That's a flagarent foul by definition. The refs were right there, but chose to ignore it.
  • Draymond Green's aggressive swipe down on Tristan Thompson's Head when Thompson pump-faked Green into the air. It wasn't hard contact to Thompson's head, mostly a graze with the tricep and elbow, but by definition, it's a flagarent, especially when Love's was called. The odd thing is, they didn't even look at it. Multiple Cavs pointed to it, but the refs again refused to look.

On possible game-changing flagarent foul calls in this game, the Warriors were 1-0, and the Cavs were 0-3.

So what is a flagarent foul? Any contact to the head? It appears that's not the case. Throwing punches at people's nuts? It appears that's allowed as long as one team is up by enough? I'm not sure.

While these calls didn't have an effect on Game 4, What should happen going forward? If Draymond Green is yelling F-bombs at the ref and hulking up, spitting expletives in a refs face.. should that be called a Technical? I think so.. but, I doubt it will.

What about you, do you think there should be different standards for guys? For superstars? For guys who just happen to be swinging and freaking out all the time.. do we give them more lee-way?

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.