Registered
9,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The basis of their feud:

-Miz cashes in on Orton
-Orton condones Miz's actions and says he would do the same thing
-Invokes rematch clause
-Puts Alex Riley through a table

So far, the angle is mutual heel respect??? I can't think of a championship match with a more tepid feud behind it... Especially one with a stipulation behind it.

·
Banned
1,063 Posts
The basis of their feud:

-Miz cashes in on Orton
-Invokes rematch clause

So far, the angle is mutual heel respect??? I can't think of a championship match with a more tepid feud behind it... Especially one with a stipulation behind it.
Half of the championship feuds are just this

·
Registered
510 Posts
The basis of their feud:

-Miz cashes in on Orton
-Invokes rematch clause

To be honest, when has any orton fued in the past bleh been worth while. He needs to develop a new character and talk on the mic, his in ring skills do not make up for his lack of mic skills.

Orton Sheamus, Orton Cena, Orton anyone is always being carried by the other half of the fued, the man needs serious work, I dont know why A people are all over this man's balls B why the E decided to push him to the end of the card

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Half of the championship feuds are just this (Invoking the rematch clause)
Damn. Know that I think of it, you're kinda right.

Champion Wrestler 1 loses to Wrestler 2.
Wrestler 2 now Champ.
Wrestler 1 wants title.
Champion 1 v 2.
Champion 1 now champ.

But then again, they sometimes have #1 Contender matches involving 2 new people or more than 2 people (Triple Threat, F4W)

·
Registered
9,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Randy Orton had "mutual heel respect" for Sheamus and Wade Barrett too.
Yeah I guess. I think at least Sheamus and Orton didn't like each other. Although, that was a terrible feud too cuz Sheamus got crushed every week and never got the chance to retaliate.

Maybe it's Orton's heel character as a face that makes for awkward feuds.

·
Asuka
96,572 Posts
You think that's bad, you should've seen what they came up with for the 2009 Survivor Series main event.

Oh wait a minute, they didn't come up with ANYTHING. The entire build up was LITERALLY Cena and DX hugging each other and telling jokes.

·
Registered
915 Posts
The basis of their feud:

-Miz cashes in on Orton
-Invokes rematch clause

Be fair, it's been two weeks, one of which Orton wasn't there for. Give them a bloody chance!

·
There is no duty we so much underrate as... being
19,155 Posts
The 2008 and 2009 builds to the WWE Championship matches at Survivor Series were both leagues below this. Then there was the glorious Undertaker/CM Punk championship feud which amounted to, "Me, Taker. Me, back. Me, want your belt," followed by some of the silliest writing (Teddy Long kidnapped by purple smoke or something in a car) on Smackdown until the current Edge/Kane feud, which, yes, is also more tepid and it's ongoing right now at this moment.

Just because the two principals have some kind of twisted "respect" for each other doesn't mean the feud is as tepid as some feuds that are supposed to be brimming with hatred. Tepid is tepid. It doesn't help when it's all about respect and being best chums but gee I guess we gotta fight at the PPV (Trips/HBK/Cena, Sur. Ser. last year), but they could have made that better than they did.

Austin/Undertaker on the Highway to Hell for Summerslam '98 was built around the idea that Undertaker respected Austin and all he had done, and Austin, though still a roughneck badass, had at least a warrior's respect for Undertaker. But that turned out well. Michaels and Cena for Wrestlemania XXIII is on paper one of the most lukewarm ideas for a "feud" ever but because of what it meant in kayfabe and what it meant in reality, and because the matches were always at least good, nobody really batted an eye at it in the end.

Orton/Miz as a long-term on-again, off-again feud is just getting started. Nobody remembers this now, but the legendary Triple H/Foley feud began with a bizarre vignette with DX being dressed up as a bunch of Santas attacking Mankind backstage a few days before Christmas, set up by a Boiler Room Brawl Match scheduled between Mankind and Santa Claus.

·
This Is Why We Can't Have Nice Things
8,661 Posts
They don't know how to book Miz in a feud because he doesn't have feuds. Danielson and Cena are the only feuds he has ever really had and Cena was just Miz cutting promos without Cena even being around for most of it. Hell they tried creativity in the Danielson feud which produced the god awful road to awesome promo. This is just the first of many sub par feuds for The Miz unless they get smart and he drops the title quick.

·
Banned
2,673 Posts
I'll name a few:

Cena and Shawn Michaels in the build-up to Wrestlemania 23. Six weeks of nothing but jokes. The last week, something finally happens. One of the most crappy build-ups I've ever seen.

Shawn Michaels, Triple H and Cena from last years Survivor Series build-up. Nothing happens. There is absolutely no conflict. It consisted of Triple H essentially saying, "Lol, me and Shawn probably gonna beat you. Lol. Lol.' And Cena simply gave the, "O_O!" expression.

CM Punk and Undertaker last year felt like CM Punk was feuding with the fans. Undertaker was simply chilling. Like, "Whatever man, I'll get to CM Punk on PPV. For now, let's go cut a promo or harass Teddy! Oh Teddy! Where are you Teddy?"

There's good examples of three high profile feuds where basically nothing happened.

·
Registered
978 Posts
As a longtime WWE fan, I would love to see fueds that invoked real emotion like (in a broad sense) Hogan vs. Andre, Macho vs. Hogan, Michaels vs. Hart, Hart Foundation vs. DX vs. NOD, Austin vs. Rock, Rock vs. Foley, Austin vs. Taker, Taker vs. Foley, Vince vs. Austin, HHH vs. the world, hell, even Bischoff vs. Austin during their co-gm stint was believable, they just had such great chemistry. Nowadays, you don't get that feeling that the two guys in the ring truthfully hate each other, it can be anyone in the E today, and unless their name is HHH or Undertaker, it just doesn't feel the same. Maybe I'm looking at it too much from a nostalgic standpoint trying to compare completely different eras, but I do truly miss the days when these things mattered.

·
There is no duty we so much underrate as... being
19,155 Posts
I'm guessing we'll be getting at least two feuds like that in the near future, KrazyGreen, in Barrett and Cena (which has been building for six months now) and Triple H and Sheamus (which has loads of instant heat going for it the moment Triple H returns). And Orton/Miz is just getting started, there's a lot of potential there. WWE likes at least one hot feud full of hatred going into Wrestlemania these days (Orton/Triple H two years ago, Batista/Cena last year), so we'll be getting at least one or two of them, maybe three this year, I'd say.

Even if people don't care for how the CeNexus angle is going, it's definitely a case where Cena actually hates a group of people, and that's pretty cool.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
There are plenty. The storyline might not exactly be groundbreaking but personally, I don't have a problem with a feud that involves a champion losing his title to a face and wanting it back as a result. Wrestling doesn't need to be too complicated to work.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts