Wrestling Forum banner

41 - 60 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
They tried Seth. He main evented WM and got several victories over Brock but he flopped miserably and is pretty much a mid carder now without any face or heel identity with no potential to ever be taken seriously again. I'm not saying that as some Seth hater. It's just what happened. Not everyone can be a Cena and Reigns and overcome the crowd turning on you.

Daniel Bryan is the only real answer but unfortunately the injury problems he had takes that away. By the time he came back his ability to be fotc was over with.
Seth was never given the chance. The booking for his title reign was terrible.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Roman was the correct choice. He needed his character changed a long time ago, but it was evident he was the best choice. Like it or not, no one else had been able to match Roman even when Reigns was getting booed out of arenas.

Some of the answers I have been reading have been nothing short of ridiculous! Rollins' name keeps popping up. The guy beat Brock Lesnar TWICE (one of them being cleanly) and he absolutely FLOPPED as FOTC.

Kevin Owens....REALLY?????? Finn Balor who got sent back to the minor leagues?????? Yeah, booking was bad in some instances for them, but they had their chances and the needle moved in the wrong direction when they had their day.

The only credible answer WAS Daniel Bryan because he was red hot when he returned when Roman was getting his first push. However, Vince had concerns about him being injury prone due to his style and was proven right as Bryan was back on the shelf and forced to retire shortly after WM 31. Thankfully, he came back 3 years later, but was not over nearly to the degree he was from 2013-2015.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
1.Styles
2.Bryan
3.Almost fucking everyone

·
alexa = greatest of all time!
Blissy's #1 fan
4,147 Posts
really only Styles could have made it work. maybe they should have done more with joe but i never saw him being "that guy" in the E.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
You can use the booking excuse with any wrestler. I could name issue after issue with Austin and Rock's title runs too. He got a fair shot at being fotc due to Roman's cancer and just didn't have it.
He was never marketed as the FOTC.

He was never booked well as a babyface champion.

He does have the talent. He's the best talent to debut in WWE/WWF since Austin.

·
Registered
11,182 Posts
They tried Seth. He main evented WM and got several victories over Brock but he flopped miserably and is pretty much a mid carder now without any face or heel identity with no potential to ever be taken seriously again. I'm not saying that as some Seth hater. It's just what happened. Not everyone can be a Cena and Reigns and overcome the crowd turning on you.

Daniel Bryan is the only real answer but unfortunately the injury problems he had takes that away. By the time he came back his ability to be fotc was over with.
How did Roman succeed in overcoming the crowd turning on him where Seth failed? He actually didn't. He had crowds walking out or goofing off in his PPV MAIN EVENT matches with Brock and Joe in 2018. They specifically booked Braun to win MITB that year and tease cashing in at SummerSlam 2018 to prevent the crowd from ruining the end of the show. How exactly is this Roman overcoming the crowd? Roman succeeded because Vince ignored the reactions and just kept pushing Roman. It's the same reason why Charlotte, who has been a massive crowd flop relative to the push she's given, still gets pushed. Other guys have one thing bad happen, and the push is dropped.

The company still decides who they want to succeed and fail. If they pushed Mojo Rawley as relentlessly he'd be in the same position as Roman right now too.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
How did Roman succeed in overcoming the crowd turning on him where Seth failed? He actually didn't. He had crowds walking out or goofing off in his PPV MAIN EVENT matches with Brock and Joe in 2018. They specifically booked Braun to win MITB that year and tease cashing in at SummerSlam 2018 to prevent the crowd from ruining the end of the show. How exactly is this Roman overcoming the crowd? Roman succeeded because Vince ignored the reactions and just kept pushing Roman. It's the same reason why Charlotte, who has been a massive crowd flop relative to the push she's given, still gets pushed. Other guys have one thing bad happen, and the push is dropped.

The company still decides who they want to succeed and fail. If they pushed Mojo Rawley as relentlessly he'd be in the same position as Roman right now too.
Roman wasn't a success as a face as he never really did build up a fan base like Cena did but the crowd still cared about him. See the amount of heat he got after beating Taker. If you go online you see thousands and thousands of posts saying Roman sucks wah wah wah. Roman at least gave them the Vince McMahon top guy for them to pile on.

And now he's undeniably the hottest act going on right now as a heel.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Nah, Roman Reigns wishes that he was as talented as Kevin Owens.
Nah, Roman Reigns wishes that he was as talented as Kevin Owens.
That fat beckbeard doesn't have a third of the charisma, presence and it factot Roman Reigns have.

More importantly, even if he was more talented, he is still is not FOTC material as he's less marketeable than a fucking trash can.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Roman is the right choice. Seth could have been built up as the companies top babyface to challenge Roman and it should have been an epic rivalry with all their history. But they screwed up on his booking, making him whiney heel with that terrible Messiah gimmick or crying in front of the Fiend. I'm not sure he can come back from that, he always going to be seen as a loser.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
No one. The idea of needing someone to be the FOTC is dated and needs to be retired. We need something similar to the Attitude Era where you had multiple top stars, not another Hogan /Cena era.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
No one. The idea of needing someone to be the FOTC is dated and needs to be retired. We need something similar to the Attitude Era where you had multiple top stars, not another Hogan /Cena era.
The attitude era had a fucking FOTC, that was Stone Cold Steve Austin.

The fuck are you talking about.

·
Registered
6,920 Posts
Trying to have multiple guys drawing at the top at the same time has never worked without a clear face literally that the mainstream audience could associate with the business.

Someone always stands out, but the difference post Austin and Rock era is that the WWE has forced it.

You mention Cena and Hogan, but fail to mention Austin and Rock.

Austin clearly was the top guy in 1998. Austin was also the top guy in 1999 if we are being honest although Rock started to trail him and arguably pass him by end of the year(which started the Austin heel turn rumor). 2000 was clearly Rock. I dare say 2001 was also Rock which is why Austin still turned heel despite the face pops in Houston at WM.

It may have felt like multiple stars because the roster was just more over in general, but there was a leader of the pack. The fans always end up picking one person over the other eventually.

Hogan era also had the same situation with Hogan and Warrior. Warrior was trailing Hogan by the ending of 1989 which is why Warrior was seen as a possible Hogan replacement at WM 6. Similar to Rock and Austin, but there was still a number one guy.

As for the topic, Roman was the best choice as his current incarnation is what they should have done since his first match with Brock at Mania. I get why they tried to traditional face route with him though as they wanted a Cena heir apparent. Most online were saying he sucked as a face, but Vince kept forcing it. Just like Diesel 1995 when he turned heel he got more entertaining and better reactions overall.

The other options being mentioned though I shake my head despite Bryan from back a few years ago. Today more than a few years back it is Roman.

·
Registered
799 Posts
CM Punk
Ambrose
Drew McIntyre

Reactions: DammitChrist

·
Banned
4,220 Posts
That will not work ever again. We do not have top stars anymore we had a group of cut and paste wrestlers that could easily be replaced at any given time.

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
I'm not the biggest fan of Roman Reigns - but his issue was never that he was incapable of being a "FOTC" - it was always his booking.

A face nobody wanted to cheer? GTFO. It made the product unwatchable for so long.

Properly cast as a heel - and including his work since his return 9 months ago? Fantastic. Does anyone even dare deny he's a legitimate main eventer now?

I mean it's fine if you prefer others as "face of the company" - i'm not saying he's without a doubt the only choice nor even the best choice. I'm just saying - I never had an issue seeing him as a main eventer, it was always in the booking. Now that he's booked properly, it's not as bad.

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
Daniel Bryan is a good underdog babyface to have on the roster but not quite "FOTC" in my eyes.
I don't know. He got "hotter" than any wrestler since peak Rock/Austin in my opinion. When you get that - you run with it and see how far it goes. WWE was very hesitant to "run with it". He's cooled off a bit since 2014-2015, but they could have done more back then.

2014 was perfect, but we all know it wasn't their first choice, they were forced.
2015 - should have been Bryan vs Lesnar to main event (or - Reigns/Lesnar/Bryan maybe).

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
I don't know. He got "hotter" than any wrestler since peak Rock/Austin in my opinion. When you get that - you run with it and see how far it goes. WWE was very hesitant to "run with it". He's cooled off a bit since 2014-2015, but they could have done more back then.

2014 was perfect, but we all know it wasn't their first choice, they were forced.
2015 - should have been Bryan vs Lesnar to main event (or - Reigns/Lesnar/Bryan maybe).
I agree in 2015 that Lesnar vs Bryan should have been the WWE Title main event, then you could have had a Shield Triple Threat Ladder Match for Rollin's MITB, which he could of retained and cashed in later that night or RAW after Mania or whenever.

41 - 60 of 66 Posts