Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
SGT. AT ARMS
18,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all, theres a ton of people who probably don't even know who he is, so i'm sure those people aren't gonna tune in solely to see him wrestle on ppv. 2nd of all he just walked through the door in WWE, he's done nothing here yet why should he get the special attraction treatment?

Theres people who don't even know him and all they see is him coming out and dancing to his entrance music and fans humming his theme and then he leaves. He's gonna start getting heat from some of them soon.

Even in NJPW he wasn't given this treatment, he'd wrestle on a big ppv then he'd also be in a tag match or wrestling the next night on their next show in a gymnasium somewhere.

I love Nakamura but my god he's not that amazing in the ring it has to be saved for ppvs.

And i watched that Bring it to the table episode where they talked about this and JBL sounded so fucking dumb "Do you have Conor McGregor fighting every week leading up to his big fight? no" well this isn't UFC JBL, you could apply ur same logic to Rollins, or AJ or Reigns, those are ur big main eventers, why are they not saved only for ppvs? Why is Nakamura the only one receiving the special attraction treatment and not ur guys who've been there for years building their names?

And please don't take this the wrong way, i'm a huge Nakamura fan i just don't agree with WWE using him as if he's Brock Lesnar.

·
SGT. AT ARMS
18,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
It won't last :shrug
I hope ur right, its just that Bring It To The Table episode got me thinking this is how he's gonna be used, JBL said as much. I guess we'll have to wait and see after Backlash, but i have my doubts, all signs point to them using him as a special attraction.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I fully agree with OP, i have never seen him wrestle and why should i view him as special ? He has done nothing in WWE main roster...Hope it's just one off for his debut match and then after he wrestles regularly, otherwise he would be forgotten in some months ....

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,153 Posts
Was Fandango a special attraction when he debuted?

I think Nakamura once he has his first match with Ziggler will wrestle on the show more regularly. There's been a lot of dark matches with him, Styles and Orton taking on a heel team. I'd say that sort of stuff will start happening on the live show.

·
Registered
25,252 Posts
Well they're saving his first big match for PPV which is smart. Make his first match seem like a big deal. As the months go on he will work more TV matches.

And I don't know if it has to do with him being a special attraction as much as it's about keeping him off TV regularly to hide his weaknesses in speaking. They're going to have to be more creative in the future when booking his feuds.

And honestly, guys don't really need to be there every week. It's better to rotate guys in and out to avoid overexposure.

·
Banned
4,811 Posts
They're making him out to be a big deal. The audience seems to be responding. Keep it going until it starts to wear on the crowd.
Correct. The less they have him used week-in, week-out, the less likely WWE will fuck up his presentation.

On an interesting note, I think this is a good opportunity to hire a phonetics instructor so Nakamura can improve his English, particularly his fricatives.

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
Their booking is going to expose him big time. Don't think they'll be able to book him as anything other than a geek if he has another one of those promos with Ziggler

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
The WWE and Nakamura are in a truly awkward situation together right now. They know(as well as Nak himself) that he is a liability in building programs with his inability to speak English. They want to present him as a special attraction because that will supposedly protect him from the damage that someone with his shortcomings will endure if he were around all of the time. The problem is that he has no accomplishments in WWE that warrant him being a special attraction. A large portion of fans don't know who he is and they aren't going to see him as an attraction without seeing him to begin with. He needs to be around and performing more to get people to see him as a big enough star to warrant being a sporadic act, but you can't rely on him to be a complete enough performer to be around enough to create that connection. It's a catch twenty two.

·
Banned
10,829 Posts
I truly believe it's because there's not much they can do with the guy.

Can't do intelligible promos, average ring work in NXT with the exception of the Zayn match and has a weird look that won't really appeal to most people.

People rag on me for stating this, but this is Sin Cara part two! Nakamura better work his ass off after Dolph flips and flops to make him look good. I love how people don't even trust him to have a decent match with John Cena for goodness sakes.

I've shown Nakamura to people that watch wrestling casually and they find him super goofy. If we are to only look at his work in WWE, it's been very poor. Kenzo freaking Suzuki was more captivating in his debut..

·
Registered
210 Posts
He's being introduced to the main roster as a special attraction to come across as a huge star to those who haven't yet seen him in action.
It won't last, they're gonna figure out how far they wanna push him initially then he'll be on Smackdown pretty much every week

·
Registered
173 Posts
Well they're saving his first big match for PPV which is smart. Make his first match seem like a big deal. As the months go on he will work more TV matches.

And I don't know if it has to do with him being a special attraction as much as it's about keeping him off TV regularly to hide his weaknesses in speaking. They're going to have to be more creative in the future when booking his feuds.

And honestly, guys don't really need to be there every week. It's better to rotate guys in and out to avoid overexposure.
I think you are spot on about this. It is quite likely a combination of WWE wanting to make his first match seem special by having it on a PPV and trying to hide his weaknesses right off the bat by making sure he doesn't need to talk too much.

And to be honest, he has gotten great receptions from the live audience thus far with all the noise and singing along. So they are likely trying to milk it as much as possible. I think the WWE view him as a potential megastar (esp targeted towards the Asian fanbase) and will invest heavily into his booking and feuds (unlike a lot of other superstars) atleast over the next few months to try and build him as one.

For me, unless they intend to give him a manager who can speak for him (Ala Heyman Brock), putting the US championship on him and allowing him to showcase his wrestling ability as a legit fighter in weekly (or bi-weekly) open challenges could be the way ahead for Nakamura. That way he won't have to talk much and he could have a strong US title reign for a few months with potential great matches every week (Nakamura would IMHO benefit more from this than Styles at this point of time I feel) before being put in a feud with either Cena/AJ heading into a marquee match at next year's Wrestlemania, where he stands tall to further enhance his credibility establishing him as a main event talent.

·
Banned
724 Posts
It's only ridiculous because everyone else is so overexposed. None of these guys should be wrestling every damn week. Especially not the top guys. Unfortunately they are so terrible at keeping viewer interest via interesting storylines and characters that they have to throw out PPV quality matches every damn week.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Correct. The less they have him used week-in, week-out, the less likely WWE will fuck up his presentation.

On an interesting note, I think this is a good opportunity to hire a phonetics instructor so Nakamura can improve his English, particularly his fricatives.
It also would help if he didn't talk WHILE WEARING HIS FUCKING MOUTHPIECE!

·
Registered
771 Posts
If they want to make money off of him I think they're better off treating him as a special attraction.

You can't trot him out there every week because absent his eccentricity, there really isn't much to him. He can't really talk, he doesn't have exciting matches, nor is really a sympathetic character. He needs to be handled like a scarcely seen rock star.

·
Registered
13,128 Posts
The less things WWE creative tells him to do, the less likely it is they'll fuck him up :draper2

I don't think you have to worry though, give it a few months and he'll be in meaningless six man tags and fatal five ways just like everyone else...

·
Premium Member
38,759 Posts
The roster is thin enough, he needs to be wrestling every week. If they want to make him just give him big matches at PPVs that is fine, just give him jobber matches on TV then.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts