Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been browsing these forums since about 2008-2009 when I got back into wrestling after watching the plainly titled film, 'The Wrestler'. I don't post too often, but I browse probably daily, particularly on wrestling nights (WWE & TNA).

I went to my first live wrestling event earlier tonight. It was a TNA house show in Hamilton, Ontario. I was very excited since it was my first live event, of course, but I didn't have my expectations too high. I figured since it's a house show -- and in a small venue, at that -- everybody would be phoning it in for the most part, taking no risks. That wasn't the case. I definitely wouldn't call myself the biggest TNA fan out there. I'll admit to preferring the WWE when it comes to television, but damn, these guys put on a show. Even my cousin, who's not a wrestling fan in the slightest, found himself making some noise.

Here's the link to the album of the show I created: Hamilton TNA House Show

I'll be the first to say that the photos aren't very good. I was about 5 rows back trying to snap shots with a potato. If you're interested, check them out. I'm also going to do a little write-up of each match/segment below.

Segment: Daniels and Kazarian Heel it Up

Jeremy Borash comes out, starts hyping up the crowd, saying that whoever is the loudest is going to get a free backstage pass. I didn't get one, sadly. It took me a while to get into my "noise flow". I was quiet at first.

So, the crowd's getting pumped, trying to win these passes, when out come Daniels and Kazarian. They say that the crowd doesn't deserve them, something to that effect, then challenge AJ Styles and Kurt Angle for the tag team championships. How this turned into a 6-man tag with Bobby Roode with Daniels and Kazarian, and Austin Aries with Styles and Angle, I don't know. I think maybe just Angle and Styles came out at first, got jumped and worked over by the "numbers game," then out came Austin Aries -- who was of course followed by Teddy "6-man tag holla holla holla" Long.

Match: Robbie E vs. Gunner

It's interesting to see how different these guys are when they're in character. Robbie E was one of the first guys out during the "meet and greet" before the show. Very kind with the fans; took a lot of photos with kids and such. Very laid back guy. When he popped though that curtain, though, it was showtime. He called everyone a bunch of Ham-sandwiches (because we're in Hamilton) or something.

Gunner comes out. The guy's huge, especially his legs. He brings that intensity, but I guess even at a house show, they don't dare let him near a mic. Robbie says that all these Ham-and-egg'ers are here for one thing: to watch him fist pump. So, some really odd music starts playing, and Robbie starts spasming into some form of fist pump. Once he's finished, Gunner acts as though he's going to fist pump, but then just lays Robbie out.

It was a decent match. I can't remember anything specific besides it ending with Robbie pulling the tights on a roll-up pin for the victory. The crowd gave him plenty of heat for that. It was funny watching the marks yell at the ref as though he truly didn't do his job correctly.

Match: Miss Tessmacher vs. Gail Kim

Same deal as with Robbie, Gail Kim was very nice to everyone before the show, but when she gets into the ring to cut a promo, she pulls the classic, "I'm so glad I left *insert home country*" -- in this case, Canada. It was funny stuff, though. She went on about how when she was in the area, she refused to date these unshowered, unkempt people, and that it was only in the United States that she could find an adequate man.

Gail has enough heat at this point that it didn't matter that Miss Tessmacher comes out in a skimpy Captain America costume; she has the crowd fully behind her. It probably didn't hurt that she's absolutely gorgeous in person. Smaller than I would have thought, though -- like 5'3 tops.

Once again, not a super memorable match, but it had some good back-and-forth. Tessmacher teased the "stink face" a number of times, finally hitting it once. Some guy yelled, "I CAN'T SEE!" and the crowd cracked up. The title was on the line. Tessmacher retained after reversing Gail Kim's finisher.

Segment: Introduction of Earl Hebner

As anyone on this forum should know, Earl Hebner is absolutely hated in Canada for his participation in the Montreal Screwjob. The guy was easily the most over heel of the night. Jeremy Borash comes out and really lays it on thick, saying that the next match is going to be called by the most infamous referee in the game.

Hebner comes out heeling it up. He doesn't have to say anything. He's just stone-faced, waiting for the "You screwed Brett!" chants. As soon as he gets enough of them, he starts yelling, "I screwed Brett?! I screwed Brett?!" At which point he rips of his referee shirt to reveal a shirt underneath that says, "You're damn right I did!" He then pulls out some Bret "The Hitman" Hart sunglasses from out of nowhere, and starts doing all of Brett's trademark poses and taunts.

The whole segment was just shocking and hilarious. I proceeded to boo the living hell out of Hebner for the rest of the night -- his son, too. Anytime someone would get put in a submission, I'd yell for Earl to ring the bell.

Match: Zema Ion vs. Samoa Joe

Zema Ion's a funny guy. He's apparently heel, but he's just a charming, good looking kid who pulls off top-rope stuff with ease, so it's hard to hate him. I guess we're supposed to hate his constant hairspray usage. Joe was super over in comparison, though. Three guys in front of me kept trying to get a "Zema" chant going, but to no avail. I half-heartedly joined in.

This was a fantastic match. It was no squash. Zema got plenty of offense in -- most notable a flawless springboard moonsault off the ropes. I see why Joe's so loved now, too. On television, it's cool to watch such a big guy move around like he does, but in person, you really get the full effect. Joe's huge, and to watch him pull off enziguris and such is quite the spectacle.

Match ends with Joe putting Zema away with a Muscle Buster.

Segment: Mr. Anderson... or is it Kennedy?

I've never really gotten the hype for Mr. Anderson. I started watching wrestling again just as he was at the tail-end of his career in the WWE. He didn't much impress me there, and while I've warmed up to him during his time in TNA, I wouldn't call myself a fan. I still wouldn't, but I did enjoy how the guy can work a crowd. His charisma comes off better in person.

He comes out, everyone's cheering for him, but one guy yells, "You suck!" Anderson singles him out and says, "That wasn't very nice." He then goes on to say something like, "Wait a minute. You're not trying to say that I'm an asshole, are you?" Cue massive "asshole" chants. Anderson then puts his hand in the air so to call for his microphone, but it doesn't appear. He seems pissed, starts complaining to crew-members ringside. Finally, Borash comes in with a chair, stands on top of it above Anderson, and drops a normal mic into Anderson's hand as he does his trademark request. I laughed at that one.

Anderson goes to do his own introduction, but instead of yelling "Anderson," everyone in the crowd simultaneously yells, "Kennedy!" Anderson says something to the effect of, "No, no, no. That guy died in a trainwreck -- which just so happens to air every Monday night." I was the only person to pop for the mention of the WWE, as I do enjoy it most of the time.

Match: Mr. Anderson vs. James Storm

Before I forget, when I was watching Impact the other night, my uncle happened to wander in during Mr. Anderson's introduction. My uncle says, "Mr. Anderson? What's he supposed to be, a school teacher?"

Anyway, to the match. It was a Bound for Glory tournament match. To be honest, I don't much care for either Storm or Anderson's ring work. They're both the typical brawler, in my opinion. When you put two of those kinds of wrestlers in a match, they better have a good stipulation or a hot crowd behind them for it to be something special. I don't remember the crowd getting too, too hot, but they (and I) did pop big for Storm's Super-Kick. Storm was about to win the match, but the bell rang prematurely. Everyone looks to Hebner. Things are yelled. Borash then comes on and says that the 10-minute time limit is up, and that the match is a draw, with each man getting two points. The crowd's pissed, starts chanting "5 more minutes," but no dice.

Storm tries to remedy the situation by asking for 5 more minutes, but Hebner heels it up, says he refuses to call the match, and leaves. Heel Hebner is fantastic. Storm then starts commenting on how fantastic Canadian beer is. People have been drinking by now, so everyone pops. Storm offers Anderson some beer, but apparently Anderson's straight-edge now, because he declines, saying he's "not an alcoholic." Storm Super-Kicks Anderson again, then pours beer down his throat.

Match: Daniels, Kazarian, Roode vs. Styles, Angle, Aries

I don't know what's up with Daniels and Kazarian, but they are very hyper-sexual. Every taunt -- top rope or otherwise -- is them thrusting the air and gyrating. I found it all very humorous.

I was surprised that Roode didn't come out and cut a promo about hating Canada. I guess Gail got to heel it up in that way tonight. Even though he was doing his best heel face and being underhanded the whole match, people still got behind him somewhat. He's from right up the street from Hamilton in Toronto, so it's not like he's going to get boo'd out of the building. I have to say, too: the guy looks like a main-eventer in person. One guy yelled, "Grow your hair back!" But I disagree.

Two guys in the audience were seemingly hammered. One of the two was absolutely relentless on Daniels. He just kept yelling, "Kalamazoo!" and a slow, "Daniels." These taunts hit me the right way.

Perhaps because he's the most recognizable name, the audience was super hot for Angle. He's who everyone wanted to see tagged in. I felt a bit bad for Aries. He was for sure third string, even with his fantastic top rope dropkicks. Angle ended up pulling off an amazing German suplex on both Kazarian and Daniels at the same time. I popped, crowd popped.

Speaking of Kazarian, I found myself appreciating him for the first time. On television, I don't get his shtick. He doesn't say much; he doesn't have much of a character, so why should I care about his matches? Well, he's a hell of a worker. He was involved in a lot of the main spots in the match. He really held it together, in my opinion. Looking at him, then looking over at Bobby Roode, you can tell which one truly has the "it" factor. It's not Kazarian. But I have a newly found respect for the guy as a wrestler. He entertained me.

The match ends with a series of everyone hitting their finishers. Not sure who hit theirs last, but it was Styles, Angle and Aries who ended up with the victory.

After the Show

Everyone in the crowd was content after that 6-man tag. It was a hell of a match. Borash announced that if you stuck around and formed a line that you could step into the ring and get a photo with Styles, Angle and Aries. I obliged.

Stepping through that second rope, like I've seen done a thousand times, was surreal. I wanted to take a bump, but it wasn't meant to be. Angle, despite having worked a hard match, was super polite, big smile on his face. I shook his hand. Styles, too. He looked really tired, though. Can't blame the guy. I went to shake Aries' hand, but he had it tucked into his X-Division Championship belt. I think he had enough hand shaking, so he just gave me a quick fist bump with the other hand. I think some people go through minor occurrences like that with a wrestler and think they're being a dick, that they don't love their fans, but it was no big deal. He had been standing there taking pictures for like 20 minutes before I get there, and he had just worked a hard match prior. It's not like he slapped me and threw me over the top rope. I have the physical picture of myself with those three, but the digital one won't be up until TNA posts it to their website.

That's all for my little write-up. I quite enjoyed myself. I hope that I can catch a WWE house show -- or perhaps a taping -- the next time they're in the area. I think that happens in September. Not sure. As for TNA, I'll continue watching, continue lurking, and definitely catch the next show they have here.

Any questions, anything like that, I'm more than happy to answer.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Cool write-up, sounds like you had a great time. One of the best things about the BFG series is that it does a great job of adding relevance to house shows, it's like instantly generated drama without the need for time-consuming set-ups to the matches.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Great report. TNA continues to produce great house shows.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Great write up. Yet another positive TNA house show experience. While I'm not a diehard TNA fan I would absolutely love to go to one of their live shows. Unfortunately I'm in Australia and they're yet to tour here :(

·
Registered
21,621 Posts
TNA house shows are belters, I did a Day in the Life vlog for my youtube channel when I last went to one and it was awesome.

·
Registered
10,124 Posts
Looks like a mini ppv, that shit with earl should be on youtube.

·
Rated R Superstar
14,586 Posts
I was there as well and I also had a great time. I'll post a review and some pictures as well after work today. Did you go for the VIP experience thing?

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
I've always had great experiences at TNA house shows, it's nice to see that they're still putting on good shows.

·
Rated R Superstar
14,586 Posts
I had time before work so I decided I’d do a little write up now too. Well since Mr. Weymes already covered the matches and segments for the most part, I’ll just talk about my personal experiences and a few things I found funny.

First of all, I’d like to say that if you have the opportunity to go to a TNA show, do it, it’s awesome. You get very up close and personal, you meet a lot of people if you pay and it’s just a great time all in all. Anyway, on to the show:

So when we first got there is was like an infomercial, lots of talking about the deals what’s for sale and what not, which took forever but that was alright. They also said that the meet and greet would work in the way that we would all go along the railing and the superstars would come out and sign stuff and take pictures. So that was cool, I was pretty pumped for that but we had to listen to more deals talk. One deal that really stuck out to me was the VIP Experience, which from what I understood was being sold at intermission. Anyways, so the meet and greet started and Robbie E, Zema Ion, Daniels, Kaz and Tessmacher came out. I got pictures with all of them, which was cool. Daniels was kind of funny because I would make a little picture motion when I’d ask for a picture, just in case they didn’t hear me, so he said “Hey man, you don’t have to do that little picture thing, I know what a picture is” and I kind of laughed, he said he was just bugging me after. Also, something else kind of funny, Brooke Tessmacher looked a lot like Madison Rayne for some reason and I told the kids beside me that it was Rayne so when Brooke got to them to sign there book, she was a little snippy and said “That’s not me! I’m the hotter one”.

So that concluded that meet and greet, it wasn’t what I expected if I’m being honest. I thought that it would be bigger stars. Anyways, so there was a lull between the meet and greet and the start of the show and I started to notice that people had the VIP Experience cards, so guess what? They started selling them. There was only 25 available and I missed out. I went and asked if they had any more but they said they sold out and were trying to get more, I was pretty bummed about that. So I went and found my seats, but there was still a lot of time before the show started so I decided that I’d go wait by the merchandise stand in case they got more VIP passes. Lucky me. As soon as I got back to the stand, they were opening a brand new box of VIP passes, I got the first one of that batch. Cost me an extra $50 but I’d say it was worth it since it got me and my girlfriend in to meet people at intermission and it also got us into the ring after the show.

So, I was pretty happy at that point but the show still was not starting (It took forever for the show to start) so I went and got a beer ($5.75, outrageous!). I noticed that Gail Kim was doing autographs at the merchandise stand so I went back over there to get a picture. Gail Kim seemed to be a total diva. She would only sign her merchandise, no ticket stubs, she would not take pictures with you, you could only take pictures of her as she was signing stuff. Whatever, I don’t like her anyways. I went back to my seats and at this point me and my girlfriend were between two big guys, we scrunched together but they were so big that they were still touching us. Very uncomfortable so I decided we’d go to different seats. After about 15-20 more minutes, the show finally began. Daniels and Kaz segment, Robbie/Gunner, Tessmacher/Kim, Earl Hebner (Still ‘You screwed Bret’ chants) and Zema/Joe. All decent matches, fun to watch. Daniels and Kaz were funny and I’d say after last night, I’m a bigger fan of them. Gunner was huge. Tessmacher was hot.

So, after all of that, it was time for intermission. We all filed out onto the balcony where AJ Styles, Kurt Angle, Bobby Roode and Gunner were waiting. I went for Kurt Angle right away and got him to sign my World Title belt and I got a picture with him. He was a nice guy, I asked him how he was liking Canada and he said he loves Canada. I also said that he was the reason I started watching TNA. Next I went to AJ Styles. Styles was a nice guy too, they all were in fact. Styles got on me a bit for having a WWE belt and I said I brought it for Angle to sign. I got a picture with Styles and moved on to Bobby Roode. Roode was full on in character, would not crack a smile, wouldn’t say anything to anyone unless he was spoken to first. I got a picture with him and said he was the best damn thing in TNA…along with Storm. Got a picture with him, awesome. After Roode was Gunner, he was a big guy and I asked him how he was liking Canada too, he said he loved it as well.

At this point Mr. Anderson and D-Lo Brown had come out. I went to Anderson first and I yelled “KENNEDY!” which made a few people laugh. Anderson was super nice, I shook his hand, got a picture and that was it. There wasn’t a lot of time for conversation with over 100 people out there crowding around. After Kennedy was D-Lo, which I was not expecting him to be out there. While I was waiting for him, he said Samoa Joe was supposed to be out there too. D-Lo also said that everyone keeps calling him D-Lo Brown, but he’s not D-Lo Brown, he’s his cousin. C-Lo Green. Funny stuff. Anyways, got my picture with him and at that point Samoa Joe was out. Joe was a big guy and he was sweaty after having a match not too long ago. It took forever to get to Joe, he kept going to other people first, which was annoying because I was there the longest, but whatever. So, I finally got to Joe and got my picture with him, didn’t have time to say anything to him really. Notes on who left when, Roode left after like 5 minutes, then Anderson, then Gunner I believe, then D-Lo, then Styles. Angle was out there the entire time signing autographs and taking pictures, awesome guy.

So as I went back into the building I heard that Austin Aries was doing autographs as well, so I missioned it to find him. I found him and Hebner at the merchandise stand. You couldn’t take pictures with either of them but they seemed cool about it, unlike Gail. Their reasoning was that it would take way too long while Kim just seemed like a bitch. I thought I got a picture of Aries but my camera messed up so I missed out on that, bummer. I headed back to my seats. The send portion of the show started. Storm/Anderson, six man tag (Roode/Kaz/Daniels vs. Angle/Styles/Aries). Both were fun matches. Anderson/Storm was a time limit draw, there was a big “Five more minutes” chant afterwards but no such luck. We did get a little fun after that match with Storm drinking some beer and saying that Canadian beer is the best. He ended up super kicking Anderson and pouring beer in his mouth, after Anderson asked for water and said he didn’t drink.

The good guys won the six man tag and then it was time to get in the ring. Jeremy Borash got on the mic and said that it was $20 to get in the ring and I was not happy because they said that the VIP pass would be good to get in the ring. So I tried to use that and luckily it worked. Got in the ring, that was awesome, dream come true. It’s tougher to get in the ring than it looks, my foot got stuck on the rope a bit. Anyways, got in the ring, that was pretty awesome. Took a picture with Angle, Aries, Styles and my girlfriend and that was incredible. First time they’ve ever done that in their 10 year history they said, having 3 superstars in the ring for pictures that is. They had a printed out picture waiting as soon as you got out of the ring for no extra charge. Definitely getting that framed.

All in all, awesome night. Tad more expensive then I thought it would be, but well worth the money in the end. Everyone was very nice, the show was super fun, getting in the ring was the highlight of the night. Highly recommend going to a TNA show if you can, simply awesome. Sorry I kind of rushed through the review. If anyone has any questions they want answered in more detail, feel free to ask.

Pictures: https://picasaweb.google.com/116114691738245485714/June252012

·
Banned
1,565 Posts
I've been browsing these forums since about 2008-2009 when I got back into wrestling after watching the plainly titled film, 'The Wrestler'. I don't post too often, but I browse probably daily, particularly on wrestling nights (WWE & TNA).

I went to my first live wrestling event earlier tonight. It was a TNA house show in Hamilton, Ontario. I was very excited since it was my first live event, of course, but I didn't have my expectations too high. I figured since it's a house show -- and in a small venue, at that -- everybody would be phoning it in for the most part, taking no risks. That wasn't the case. I definitely wouldn't call myself the biggest TNA fan out there. I'll admit to preferring the WWE when it comes to television, but damn, these guys put on a show. Even my cousin, who's not a wrestling fan in the slightest, found himself making some noise.

Here's the link to the album of the show I created: Hamilton TNA House Show

I'll be the first to say that the photos aren't very good. I was about 5 rows back trying to snap shots with a potato. If you're interested, check them out. I'm also going to do a little write-up of each match/segment below.

Segment: Daniels and Kazarian Heel it Up

Jeremy Borash comes out, starts hyping up the crowd, saying that whoever is the loudest is going to get a free backstage pass. I didn't get one, sadly. It took me a while to get into my "noise flow". I was quiet at first.

So, the crowd's getting pumped, trying to win these passes, when out come Daniels and Kazarian. They say that the crowd doesn't deserve them, something to that effect, then challenge AJ Styles and Kurt Angle for the tag team championships. How this turned into a 6-man tag with Bobby Roode with Daniels and Kazarian, and Austin Aries with Styles and Angle, I don't know. I think maybe just Angle and Styles came out at first, got jumped and worked over by the "numbers game," then out came Austin Aries -- who was of course followed by Teddy "6-man tag holla holla holla" Long.

Match: Robbie E vs. Gunner

It's interesting to see how different these guys are when they're in character. Robbie E was one of the first guys out during the "meet and greet" before the show. Very kind with the fans; took a lot of photos with kids and such. Very laid back guy. When he popped though that curtain, though, it was showtime. He called everyone a bunch of Ham-sandwiches (because we're in Hamilton) or something.

Gunner comes out. The guy's huge, especially his legs. He brings that intensity, but I guess even at a house show, they don't dare let him near a mic. Robbie says that all these Ham-and-egg'ers are here for one thing: to watch him fist pump. So, some really odd music starts playing, and Robbie starts spasming into some form of fist pump. Once he's finished, Gunner acts as though he's going to fist pump, but then just lays Robbie out.

It was a decent match. I can't remember anything specific besides it ending with Robbie pulling the tights on a roll-up pin for the victory. The crowd gave him plenty of heat for that. It was funny watching the marks yell at the ref as though he truly didn't do his job correctly.

Match: Miss Tessmacher vs. Gail Kim

Same deal as with Robbie, Gail Kim was very nice to everyone before the show, but when she gets into the ring to cut a promo, she pulls the classic, "I'm so glad I left *insert home country*" -- in this case, Canada. It was funny stuff, though. She went on about how when she was in the area, she refused to date these unshowered, unkempt people, and that it was only in the United States that she could find an adequate man.

Gail has enough heat at this point that it didn't matter that Miss Tessmacher comes out in a skimpy Captain America costume; she has the crowd fully behind her. It probably didn't hurt that she's absolutely gorgeous in person. Smaller than I would have thought, though -- like 5'3 tops.

Once again, not a super memorable match, but it had some good back-and-forth. Tessmacher teased the "stink face" a number of times, finally hitting it once. Some guy yelled, "I CAN'T SEE!" and the crowd cracked up. The title was on the line. Tessmacher retained after reversing Gail Kim's finisher.

Segment: Introduction of Earl Hebner

As anyone on this forum should know, Earl Hebner is absolutely hated in Canada for his participation in the Montreal Screwjob. The guy was easily the most over heel of the night. Jeremy Borash comes out and really lays it on thick, saying that the next match is going to be called by the most infamous referee in the game.

Hebner comes out heeling it up. He doesn't have to say anything. He's just stone-faced, waiting for the "You screwed Brett!" chants. As soon as he gets enough of them, he starts yelling, "I screwed Brett?! I screwed Brett?!" At which point he rips of his referee shirt to reveal a shirt underneath that says, "You're damn right I did!" He then pulls out some Bret "The Hitman" Hart sunglasses from out of nowhere, and starts doing all of Brett's trademark poses and taunts.

The whole segment was just shocking and hilarious. I proceeded to boo the living hell out of Hebner for the rest of the night -- his son, too. Anytime someone would get put in a submission, I'd yell for Earl to ring the bell.

Match: Zema Ion vs. Samoa Joe

Zema Ion's a funny guy. He's apparently heel, but he's just a charming, good looking kid who pulls off top-rope stuff with ease, so it's hard to hate him. I guess we're supposed to hate his constant hairspray usage. Joe was super over in comparison, though. Three guys in front of me kept trying to get a "Zema" chant going, but to no avail. I half-heartedly joined in.

This was a fantastic match. It was no squash. Zema got plenty of offense in -- most notable a flawless springboard moonsault off the ropes. I see why Joe's so loved now, too. On television, it's cool to watch such a big guy move around like he does, but in person, you really get the full effect. Joe's huge, and to watch him pull off enziguris and such is quite the spectacle.

Match ends with Joe putting Zema away with a Muscle Buster.

Segment: Mr. Anderson... or is it Kennedy?

I've never really gotten the hype for Mr. Anderson. I started watching wrestling again just as he was at the tail-end of his career in the WWE. He didn't much impress me there, and while I've warmed up to him during his time in TNA, I wouldn't call myself a fan. I still wouldn't, but I did enjoy how the guy can work a crowd. His charisma comes off better in person.

He comes out, everyone's cheering for him, but one guy yells, "You suck!" Anderson singles him out and says, "That wasn't very nice." He then goes on to say something like, "Wait a minute. You're not trying to say that I'm an asshole, are you?" Cue massive "asshole" chants. Anderson then puts his hand in the air so to call for his microphone, but it doesn't appear. He seems pissed, starts complaining to crew-members ringside. Finally, Borash comes in with a chair, stands on top of it above Anderson, and drops a normal mic into Anderson's hand as he does his trademark request. I laughed at that one.

Anderson goes to do his own introduction, but instead of yelling "Anderson," everyone in the crowd simultaneously yells, "Kennedy!" Anderson says something to the effect of, "No, no, no. That guy died in a trainwreck -- which just so happens to air every Monday night." I was the only person to pop for the mention of the WWE, as I do enjoy it most of the time.

Match: Mr. Anderson vs. James Storm

Before I forget, when I was watching Impact the other night, my uncle happened to wander in during Mr. Anderson's introduction. My uncle says, "Mr. Anderson? What's he supposed to be, a school teacher?"

Anyway, to the match. It was a Bound for Glory tournament match. To be honest, I don't much care for either Storm or Anderson's ring work. They're both the typical brawler, in my opinion. When you put two of those kinds of wrestlers in a match, they better have a good stipulation or a hot crowd behind them for it to be something special. I don't remember the crowd getting too, too hot, but they (and I) did pop big for Storm's Super-Kick. Storm was about to win the match, but the bell rang prematurely. Everyone looks to Hebner. Things are yelled. Borash then comes on and says that the 10-minute time limit is up, and that the match is a draw, with each man getting two points. The crowd's pissed, starts chanting "5 more minutes," but no dice.

Storm tries to remedy the situation by asking for 5 more minutes, but Hebner heels it up, says he refuses to call the match, and leaves. Heel Hebner is fantastic. Storm then starts commenting on how fantastic Canadian beer is. People have been drinking by now, so everyone pops. Storm offers Anderson some beer, but apparently Anderson's straight-edge now, because he declines, saying he's "not an alcoholic." Storm Super-Kicks Anderson again, then pours beer down his throat.

Match: Daniels, Kazarian, Roode vs. Styles, Angle, Aries

I don't know what's up with Daniels and Kazarian, but they are very hyper-sexual. Every taunt -- top rope or otherwise -- is them thrusting the air and gyrating. I found it all very humorous.

I was surprised that Roode didn't come out and cut a promo about hating Canada. I guess Gail got to heel it up in that way tonight. Even though he was doing his best heel face and being underhanded the whole match, people still got behind him somewhat. He's from right up the street from Hamilton in Toronto, so it's not like he's going to get boo'd out of the building. I have to say, too: the guy looks like a main-eventer in person. One guy yelled, "Grow your hair back!" But I disagree.

Two guys in the audience were seemingly hammered. One of the two was absolutely relentless on Daniels. He just kept yelling, "Kalamazoo!" and a slow, "Daniels." These taunts hit me the right way.

Perhaps because he's the most recognizable name, the audience was super hot for Angle. He's who everyone wanted to see tagged in. I felt a bit bad for Aries. He was for sure third string, even with his fantastic top rope dropkicks. Angle ended up pulling off an amazing German suplex on both Kazarian and Daniels at the same time. I popped, crowd popped.

Speaking of Kazarian, I found myself appreciating him for the first time. On television, I don't get his shtick. He doesn't say much; he doesn't have much of a character, so why should I care about his matches? Well, he's a hell of a worker. He was involved in a lot of the main spots in the match. He really held it together, in my opinion. Looking at him, then looking over at Bobby Roode, you can tell which one truly has the "it" factor. It's not Kazarian. But I have a newly found respect for the guy as a wrestler. He entertained me.

The match ends with a series of everyone hitting their finishers. Not sure who hit theirs last, but it was Styles, Angle and Aries who ended up with the victory.

After the Show

Everyone in the crowd was content after that 6-man tag. It was a hell of a match. Borash announced that if you stuck around and formed a line that you could step into the ring and get a photo with Styles, Angle and Aries. I obliged.

Stepping through that second rope, like I've seen done a thousand times, was surreal. I wanted to take a bump, but it wasn't meant to be. Angle, despite having worked a hard match, was super polite, big smile on his face. I shook his hand. Styles, too. He looked really tired, though. Can't blame the guy. I went to shake Aries' hand, but he had it tucked into his X-Division Championship belt. I think he had enough hand shaking, so he just gave me a quick fist bump with the other hand. I think some people go through minor occurrences like that with a wrestler and think they're being a dick, that they don't love their fans, but it was no big deal. He had been standing there taking pictures for like 20 minutes before I get there, and he had just worked a hard match prior. It's not like he slapped me and threw me over the top rope. I have the physical picture of myself with those three, but the digital one won't be up until TNA posts it to their website.

That's all for my little write-up. I quite enjoyed myself. I hope that I can catch a WWE house show -- or perhaps a taping -- the next time they're in the area. I think that happens in September. Not sure. As for TNA, I'll continue watching, continue lurking, and definitely catch the next show they have here.

Any questions, anything like that, I'm more than happy to answer.
Still? Really...why? :confused: Cant understand how anybody could prefer Raw over Impact right now.

But yeah, TNA house shows are always great fun.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I was there as well and I also had a great time. I'll post a review and some pictures as well after work today. Did you go for the VIP experience thing?
You mean the backstage experience? I was just about to. I asked how much each ticket was and it was $50. I had my cousin with me, too, so I'd obviously have to buy him one, too. Just wasn't in the cards. Did you go backstage?

And I'm glad people enjoy my write-up. It wasn't meant to be that long. I agree that Earl Hebner should pull that routine on television, should TNA ever do a live show from Canada.

Edit: Never mind. I just read through your above post. I must say, I'm very envious. I should have sprung for those backstage passes. Great time, nonetheless.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Since I'm from Brazil, I don't have house shows around here. However, I was in Orlando and attended Sacrifice about a month ago, as a VIP. I made my parents and my sister go with me.

What for them at the beggining was just lame acting, after the first match was already hell entertaining. We spent the day in the park and were damn tired, but still enjoyed and screamed for 3 hours. Well, at least me and my sister did. And not quite 3 hours because RVD apparently fucked up the Main-Event. Man, whatever.

They had really exciting matches, it was a great experience. Since it was a PPV, there was no picture time at the end.
Anyway, it wasn't needed. Stepping at ringside, taking a picture with Parks/Abyss and seeing it live was awesome.

They put on a HELL OF A SHOW, period

·
Banned
653 Posts
I had time before work so I decided I’d do a little write up now too. Well since Mr. Weymes already covered the matches and segments for the most part, I’ll just talk about my personal experiences and a few things I found funny.

First of all, I’d like to say that if you have the opportunity to go to a TNA show, do it, it’s awesome. You get very up close and personal, you meet a lot of people if you pay and it’s just a great time all in all. Anyway, on to the show:

So when we first got there is was like an infomercial, lots of talking about the deals what’s for sale and what not, which took forever but that was alright. They also said that the meet and greet would work in the way that we would all go along the railing and the superstars would come out and sign stuff and take pictures. So that was cool, I was pretty pumped for that but we had to listen to more deals talk. One deal that really stuck out to me was the VIP Experience, which from what I understood was being sold at intermission. Anyways, so the meet and greet started and Robbie E, Zema Ion, Daniels, Kaz and Tessmacher came out. I got pictures with all of them, which was cool. Daniels was kind of funny because I would make a little picture motion when I’d ask for a picture, just in case they didn’t hear me, so he said “Hey man, you don’t have to do that little picture thing, I know what a picture is” and I kind of laughed, he said he was just bugging me after. Also, something else kind of funny, Brooke Tessmacher looked a lot like Madison Rayne for some reason and I told the kids beside me that it was Rayne so when Brooke got to them to sign there book, she was a little snippy and said “That’s not me! I’m the hotter one”.

So that concluded that meet and greet, it wasn’t what I expected if I’m being honest. I thought that it would be bigger stars. Anyways, so there was a lull between the meet and greet and the start of the show and I started to notice that people had the VIP Experience cards, so guess what? They started selling them. There was only 25 available and I missed out. I went and asked if they had any more but they said they sold out and were trying to get more, I was pretty bummed about that. So I went and found my seats, but there was still a lot of time before the show started so I decided that I’d go wait by the merchandise stand in case they got more VIP passes. Lucky me. As soon as I got back to the stand, they were opening a brand new box of VIP passes, I got the first one of that batch. Cost me an extra $50 but I’d say it was worth it since it got me and my girlfriend in to meet people at intermission and it also got us into the ring after the show.

So, I was pretty happy at that point but the show still was not starting (It took forever for the show to start) so I went and got a beer ($5.75, outrageous!). I noticed that Gail Kim was doing autographs at the merchandise stand so I went back over there to get a picture. Gail Kim seemed to be a total diva. She would only sign her merchandise, no ticket stubs, she would not take pictures with you, you could only take pictures of her as she was signing stuff. Whatever, I don’t like her anyways. I went back to my seats and at this point me and my girlfriend were between two big guys, we scrunched together but they were so big that they were still touching us. Very uncomfortable so I decided we’d go to different seats. After about 15-20 more minutes, the show finally began. Daniels and Kaz segment, Robbie/Gunner, Tessmacher/Kim, Earl Hebner (Still ‘You screwed Bret’ chants) and Zema/Joe. All decent matches, fun to watch. Daniels and Kaz were funny and I’d say after last night, I’m a bigger fan of them. Gunner was huge. Tessmacher was hot.

So, after all of that, it was time for intermission. We all filed out onto the balcony where AJ Styles, Kurt Angle, Bobby Roode and Gunner were waiting. I went for Kurt Angle right away and got him to sign my World Title belt and I got a picture with him. He was a nice guy, I asked him how he was liking Canada and he said he loves Canada. I also said that he was the reason I started watching TNA. Next I went to AJ Styles. Styles was a nice guy too, they all were in fact. Styles got on me a bit for having a WWE belt and I said I brought it for Angle to sign. I got a picture with Styles and moved on to Bobby Roode. Roode was full on in character, would not crack a smile, wouldn’t say anything to anyone unless he was spoken to first. I got a picture with him and said he was the best damn thing in TNA…along with Storm. Got a picture with him, awesome. After Roode was Gunner, he was a big guy and I asked him how he was liking Canada too, he said he loved it as well.

At this point Mr. Anderson and D-Lo Brown had come out. I went to Anderson first and I yelled “KENNEDY!” which made a few people laugh. Anderson was super nice, I shook his hand, got a picture and that was it. There wasn’t a lot of time for conversation with over 100 people out there crowding around. After Kennedy was D-Lo, which I was not expecting him to be out there. While I was waiting for him, he said Samoa Joe was supposed to be out there too. D-Lo also said that everyone keeps calling him D-Lo Brown, but he’s not D-Lo Brown, he’s his cousin. C-Lo Green. Funny stuff. Anyways, got my picture with him and at that point Samoa Joe was out. Joe was a big guy and he was sweaty after having a match not too long ago. It took forever to get to Joe, he kept going to other people first, which was annoying because I was there the longest, but whatever. So, I finally got to Joe and got my picture with him, didn’t have time to say anything to him really. Notes on who left when, Roode left after like 5 minutes, then Anderson, then Gunner I believe, then D-Lo, then Styles. Angle was out there the entire time signing autographs and taking pictures, awesome guy.

So as I went back into the building I heard that Austin Aries was doing autographs as well, so I missioned it to find him. I found him and Hebner at the merchandise stand. You couldn’t take pictures with either of them but they seemed cool about it, unlike Gail. Their reasoning was that it would take way too long while Kim just seemed like a bitch. I thought I got a picture of Aries but my camera messed up so I missed out on that, bummer. I headed back to my seats. The send portion of the show started. Storm/Anderson, six man tag (Roode/Kaz/Daniels vs. Angle/Styles/Aries). Both were fun matches. Anderson/Storm was a time limit draw, there was a big “Five more minutes” chant afterwards but no such luck. We did get a little fun after that match with Storm drinking some beer and saying that Canadian beer is the best. He ended up super kicking Anderson and pouring beer in his mouth, after Anderson asked for water and said he didn’t drink.

The good guys won the six man tag and then it was time to get in the ring. Jeremy Borash got on the mic and said that it was $20 to get in the ring and I was not happy because they said that the VIP pass would be good to get in the ring. So I tried to use that and luckily it worked. Got in the ring, that was awesome, dream come true. It’s tougher to get in the ring than it looks, my foot got stuck on the rope a bit. Anyways, got in the ring, that was pretty awesome. Took a picture with Angle, Aries, Styles and my girlfriend and that was incredible. First time they’ve ever done that in their 10 year history they said, having 3 superstars in the ring for pictures that is. They had a printed out picture waiting as soon as you got out of the ring for no extra charge. Definitely getting that framed.

All in all, awesome night. Tad more expensive then I thought it would be, but well worth the money in the end. Everyone was very nice, the show was super fun, getting in the ring was the highlight of the night. Highly recommend going to a TNA show if you can, simply awesome. Sorry I kind of rushed through the review. If anyone has any questions they want answered in more detail, feel free to ask.

Pictures: https://picasaweb.google.com/116114691738245485714/June252012
Was Robbie E a cool dude?

·
Registered
10,124 Posts
:lmao at AJ talking trash to you because of the WWE belt.

That guy is a company man he deserved to be the first TNA HOF, I think sting said that to his ear before going down into the ring at slammiversary.

·
Registered
8,385 Posts
Damn wish Hebner had done that on TV at one point sounds fucking hilarious :D

Glad you had a great time. Guess I'll need to check out a TNA house show myself now ;)

·
Registered
620 Posts
Fuck that crowd looks tiny! My front room is bigger. But TNA is awesome at the minute, and the house shows are brilliant (been to 3). Glad you had a good time lads.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts