Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems as though the importance of the Royal Rumble has been disregarded with the Elimination Chamber the following month and the MITB match when it takes place at WM. The Rumble since 1993 has always been a way to determine who gets the title shot at WM. These days, you have 30 guys competing for the title shot. Out of the 29 who fail, only about 15 have a legit chance at winning the Rumble. No problem there. But the very next month, of those 29 who failed at winning the Rumble, 10 are rewarded with title matches in the Elimination Chamber. And right after that, the majority of those guys get yet another shot at the MITB. So, within a 4 month period, a guy has 3 chances at becoming the number 1 contender.

That, IMO, takes away all the importance of the Rumble match. So it seems rather pointless in building up talent, when they can just win 1 match to put them in a major title program.

Does anybody else feel the same way?

·
Banned
3,223 Posts
yes perfect example is how jericho won the #1 contendership with that stupid battle royal on raw. he should have either won the rumble or won it via elimination chamber to get a title shot @ WM. really bad booking.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Yeah in a kayfabe sense the EC really devalues the Rumble. Especially when the guys in there don't even have to have a match to be in the Chamber, they're just picked. Although still, winning the Royal Rumble is huge, and the winner gets instant recognition among casual fans. It's pretty much a fasttrack to relevance. One year they should have a total jobber just win the Rumble, see what happens. He could be the next megastar, you never know.

·
Rated R Superstar
14,586 Posts
Yeah in a kayfabe sense the EC really devalues the Rumble. Especially when the guys in there don't even have to have a match to be in the Chamber, they're just picked. Although still, winning the Royal Rumble is huge, and the winner gets instant recognition among casual fans. It's pretty much a fasttrack to relevance. One year they should have a total jobber just win the Rumble, see what happens. He could be the next megastar, you never know.
Hell, I thought they were going to do that with Santino a couple of years ago when Berto won.

I'm personally fine with the way they do things. Which isn't to say that I wouldn't be happy if they went back to the old way of doing things and just had the Rumble and then had the Elimination Chamber at another PPV.

·
Banned
3,223 Posts
correct. the elimination chamber itself is a great way to determine the number 1 contener imo. Especially after one of the brand has the number 1 contender via the Rumble. It's a cool concept however what i don;t like is the fact that they randomly pick some of these midcarders to be in it without even letting them comptete over it first. ridiculous. brainless booking that is.

·
Premium Member
15,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Personally, I think the Rumble should stay in January, the MITB should be just 1 match at WM and the Elimination Chamber should take place between Summerslam and Survivor Series. But to have 3 consecutive matches where random guys can become number 1 contenders without having to put in the proper work is devaluing the Rumble, kayfabe.

·
Registered
4,492 Posts
I don't like the way Elimination Chamber is between Wrestlemania and the Royal Rumble. Basically (Kayfabe speaking, of course) it's just giving superstars more opportunities for the belt. I mean how many chances do they need to get to WM? There is the Royal Rumble match, battle royal matches in RAW and now EC. Just takes away the credibility from Royal Rumble.

·
Premium Member
3,040 Posts
MITB devalues the title as most of the cash ins have been after a match.You no longer have to go through a grueling match to win the title.I like the chamber but it should be during the middle of the year so that the rumble holds importance.

·
Registered
4,492 Posts
MITB devalues the title as most of the cash ins have been after a match.You no longer have to go through a grueling match to win the title.I like the chamber but it should be during the middle of the year so that the rumble holds importance.
I like the MITB. It reminds me of the Hardcore title lol.

Nothing wrong with taking advantage of the champion.

·
Premium Member
15,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I like the MITB. It reminds me of the Hardcore title lol.

Nothing wrong with taking advantage of the champion.
But it hurts title reigns today. The way to make champions look more credible would be to have a guy cash in his briefcase and lose.

But if you can become champion in a matter of seconds, it makes the MITB look like the easier route.

I would just prefer if MITB had only 1 match at WM and the EC took place sometime after Summerslam and before Survivor Series.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I agree with you. The Rumble is somewhat devalued. I think the EC and MITB events are stale. I am not however sick of the Rumble. Style's temporary and class is permanent and all that. I do also think that the KOTOR should be brought back as a "bargaining tool" - you could have some heel win it and that would make them push for a title shot.

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
I don't think the Elimination Chamber devalues the Rumble. The Rumble winner is already guaranteed to get a championship match at Wrestlemania, no matter who the champion is. I like the Elimination Chamber for what it is. If Wrestlemania is the Superbowl, in a way, the Chamber is like the playoffs. The Royal Rumble winner already has a guaranteed spot at Wrestlemania. For everyone else competing in the Elimination Chamber, it's their "last chance" to compete for the Title at Wrestlemania. However, for the occasional midcarder or low carder who gets in the chamber, it adds a "go big or go home" element to it. For the low card guys they have to either win the title or not be involved in Wrestlemania at all.

What's devaluing the Rumble is that we've had so many returns, retirements and "dream matches" in a row.

·
ROWDY RODDY PIPER
10,968 Posts
It seems as though the importance of the Royal Rumble has been disregarded with the Elimination Chamber the following month and the MITB match when it takes place at WM. The Rumble since 1993 has always been a way to determine who gets the title shot at WM. These days, you have 30 guys competing for the title shot. Out of the 29 who fail, only about 15 have a legit chance at winning the Rumble. No problem there. But the very next month, of those 29 who failed at winning the Rumble, 10 are rewarded with title matches in the Elimination Chamber. And right after that, the majority of those guys get yet another shot at the MITB. So, within a 4 month period, a guy has 3 chances at becoming the number 1 contender.

That, IMO, takes away all the importance of the Rumble match. So it seems rather pointless in building up talent, when they can just win 1 match to put them in a major title program.

Does anybody else feel the same way?

PPVs are already devalued because there are simply too many of them. Your favourite wrestler lost? No worries, they will just fight at all 15 PPVs and win a title at some point, anyway.

Subject of PPVs has been beaten to death but they need to cut that shit down so ANY title can have at least some sort of value to it.

·
Premium Member
15,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I don't think the Elimination Chamber devalues the Rumble. The Rumble winner is already guaranteed to get a championship match at Wrestlemania, no matter who the champion is. I like the Elimination Chamber for what it is. If Wrestlemania is the Superbowl, in a way, the Chamber is like the playoffs. The Royal Rumble winner already has a guaranteed spot at Wrestlemania. For everyone else competing in the Elimination Chamber, it's their "last chance" to compete for the Title at Wrestlemania. However, for the occasional midcarder or low carder who gets in the chamber, it adds a "go big or go home" element to it. For the low card guys they have to either win the title or not be involved in Wrestlemania at all.

What's devaluing the Rumble is that we've had so many returns, retirements and "dream matches" in a row.
The problem is 10 guys who didn't win the Rumble are randomly split up and put into 2 title matches on the very next PPV. And if that isn't enough, majority of those guys get a shot at the PPV after that.

A guy like Wade Barrett or Dolph Ziggler will get 3 chances at winning the title or a title shot within 4 months. That is overkill.

·
Registered
4,999 Posts
I don't have a problem with there being multiple ways to win titles (legitimately) but they should be spaced out better (which is what I believe OP is saying).

I think the EC should be 1 cross-brand match, or make the rumble winner make his decision before EC and then the other brand has the EC match. Two chambers is too much. Its overkill, but this era insists on over doing everything. There's no reason for 2 mitb matches, or 2 hiac matches, let alone 2 chambers.

·
Banned
2,968 Posts
i like the idea of Rumble winner choosing which belt before EC and the other brand having a title match in the chamber

·
Registered
361 Posts
I suppose you could argue that to be in the Wrestlemania main event as either champion or challenger should be difficult to accomplish. The challenger has to overcome the odds in the rumble and the champion has to overcome the odds in the chamber. So I personally don't have a problem with it. Plus, because of the Rumble and the Chamber matches, there is no reason why the January and February PPVs should not be good-great shows.

The thing I have a problem with is when the royal rumble winner's Wrestlemania match is the opener to the show. I always think it should be the main event of the show in order to legitimise both the Rumble and the belt.

·
THE ONE.
5,323 Posts
Elimination Chamber should really be the December PPV. having the EC in between RR and Mania is a stupid idea. MITB needs to be scrapped, infact they should do an angle were the MITB winner gets attacked by a mystery person (leaving the audience out of the loop) and finally cashing in for it to be a shock who it is, maybe a World Champion to unify the belts.

·
Registered
485 Posts
In my opinion, the Rumble winner should always be in the Main Event. Always. For me, the Rumble is the best thing WWE ever produced.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts