Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As much as people praise Chris Jericho's WWF debut on Raw. My problem with the segment is that The Rock was victorious in the promo. I think it would have been better if Jericho got the last word in the promo over The Rock or better yet, have Jericho storm the ring beat down the Rock by putting him in the Walls of Jericho That would have gotten him significant heat. Although Jericho's WWF career would be awesome, I just don't think it was right to have The Rock win in the war of words over Jericho in Jericho's first WWF appearance. That's just me. What do you think?

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT YOU THINK!

Ok, fine, you made a good point. Rock winning was uncalled for, but then again, Jericho wasn't buried. Yet.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Nah, I think it fit what his character was at that point in time. He was a delusional loud mouth who thought he was a bigger deal than he was and had never really won anything substantial, so I think it fit him perfectly. He was already over with the crowd based on the ovation, so he didn't really need to do anything but entertain.

·
Registered
756 Posts
That's just the way Rock was. He constantly buried guys on the microphone. He wasn't suddenly going to act different because it was someone's debut. Rock did that to everyone.

·
Lifting weights and eating steaks
19,170 Posts
It didn't matter.

Having the countdown end during a Rock promo of all people was a big enough deal.

·
Registered
5,594 Posts
The point was that Jericho was being a young punk being told off. It worked marvelously to establish that.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Rock was the hottest face in wrestling at that time. They didn't have plans to put Jericho immediately into feud with the Rock as he was already feuding with other people at the time. It made Jericho seem like a pretty big deal to have his first interaction on live tv be with the top guy. If they had had debuted him in a match on Heat beating Crash Holly, then he would've already be robbed of all his momentum

His debut is remembered to this day specifically because he went toe to toe with the Rock

1 - 10 of 10 Posts