Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really like his In-Ring work. His Takeover match with Nakamura was one of my favorite matches in the past couple of years. He has had several high quality matches with Owens. His LMS with Braun was a solid 4 star match IMHO. Most of his matches is given time are at least very good.

I don't know if it is the fact his booking or his character (or there lack of) is poorly done or if he just seems like too much of a real life dork. Something about him makes it hard to take him seriously on a consistent basis.

Is it just me?

·
Premium Member
5,302 Posts
Your issue with him is that he doesn't appeal to you and that's fine. I and a lot of people personally think that it kind of what makes him likeable and that's fine too. Just don't go around screaming how everything that doesn't appeal to you just sucks and is killing the wrestling business or other shit like that. At least you're willing to acknowledge his abillity and that's already more than most people.

·
Superintendent of the Sacred Coffeechamber
2,671 Posts
It's not far off to say wrestlers' personality always shines through regardless of the character they play, especially considering the fact that they're not actors and so their acting skills aren't supposed to be as good. But in this case, it's not hard to see that the dorkiness is intentionally emphasized, to the point where it's easy for one to believe Sami Zayn is really like this in real life. I can see his character being his real life personality turned up several notches, though.

And I don't see it being intended to get him over. The 80s and high school mentality of Vince and co. are well-documented. I'd bet he got some heat backstage for his real-life personality (even if harmless to most) and they're trying to portray him as a geek, both to make fun of him and to bury him a little bit (which is the case according to Meltzer's report). It actually does have its upside, as it gave him some actual character development, something most people on the roster today can only dream of.

But still, the downside completely offsets the upside. There's a difference between an underdog and a jobber in wrestling. The former surfaces at a near-top level everynow and then, loses to high profile people, gets knocked back down, and rises back up again, his heroic character constantly highlighted in the process. The latter is just someone who rarely wins and competes at the lowest level, a level which requires his character to be a relatively comedic one so that the matches can be entertaining without the presence of the stars and the stakes they bring about. Earlier this year when Zayn lost to Joe, you could still argue that he was in the midst of an underdog story. But since he moved to SmackDown, he began his gradual descent into the undercard, his character became more and more of a joke, and he is now losing to Aiden English. Not to mention this is 2017 SmackDown, a show that sucks the interest and star power out of everyone involved, Sami Zayn being no exception of course.

If this continues for another six months, his future will be looking grim.

Reactions: RavishingRickRules

·
Madness is the emergency exit
2,826 Posts
The characters you see could all be so different. Neville is a nerd, but he's a huge bad ass on TV. Owens is the exact opposite in real life. So the fact that even if Sami is kind of a dork in real life should have no affect on how his character is perceived. Sami Zayn could be a top 5 guy in the company if they let him. He could be having consistent 5 star matches in the main events of NJPW. I really believe that currently he is the biggest waste on talent on all of WWE.

·
Registered
32,262 Posts
I think Sami's main problem is you still have a lot of faces that are playing a similar gimmick that he's basically built for. Sami has the look of a white meat babyface, he looks like he could play a Michael Cera type character. He's great at the I just want to wrestle, this is my passion, nothing will stand in my way underdog role. But for the longest time you had pretty much every other outside stat that got signed playing similar gimmicks.

At one point Hideo Itami was Japanese Sami, Apollo was black Sami, Balor was Irish Sami who sometimes cosplayed as a demon.

Add in that while he clearly isn't a jobber he hasn't really established his placing on the roster is he a midcarder or an upper midcarder jobber to the stars. He has no titles either so that makes the distinction that much harder to tell in this day and age.

All in all Sami is cool to me, sure he's kind of corny. But the fact he wears his goofiness on his sleeve is endearing.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

·
I'm too busy, faded in Japan with the crew
10,397 Posts
If Sami could just wear the mask, he would add depth to his character.

Reactions: blackholeson

·
Superintendent of the Sacred Coffeechamber
2,671 Posts
I think Sami's main problem is you still have a lot of faces that are playing a similar gimmick that he's basically built for. Sami has the look of a white meat babyface, he looks like he could play a Michael Cera type character. He's great at the I just want to wrestle, this is my passion, nothing will stand in my way underdog role. But for the longest time you had pretty much every other outside stat that got signed playing similar gimmicks.

At one point Hideo Itami was Japanese Sami, Apollo was black Sami, Balor was Irish Sami who sometimes cosplayed as a demon.
What's even more sad is that none of them plays the underdog character more convincing than him. He brings that "fire" that the generic poker-faces and smiling-faces can only dream of having, and he's arguably the best on the roster at telling an underdog story in the ring. I honestly see this as a "bad money drives out the good" case, in which Sami is unfortunately the victim.

Reactions: RapShepard

·
TEAM KICK!
9,429 Posts
Part of the character that Zayn has is a rib on him isn't it? He generally speaks very quickly in real life etc. so WWE decided to incorporate that into his on screen persona. He never did anything like that in NXT, also it doesn't mean he gives these long pep talks IRL or anything like that.

Zayn's absolutely one of the best guys in WWE all round, he's passionate, a superb ring worker, good on the mic, all he lacks is size, but that's part of what makes him a great underdog. It's criminal if he never wins the WWE title IMO.

Reactions: Steve Black Man

·
Registered
32,262 Posts
What's even more sad is that none of them plays the underdog character more convincing than him. He brings that "fire" that the generic poker-faces and smiling-faces can only dream of having, and he's arguably the best on the roster at telling an underdog story in the ring. I honestly see this as a "bad money drives out the good" case, in which Sami is unfortunately the victim.
Sami's not even one of my favorites but I agree wholeheartedly. Like shit this man has that gimmick on lock, stop watering him down with shitty variations. Imagine how hard it would have been for Rock to get over if they had 4 other faces cracking jokes and spouting off catch phrase. Or how hard it would of been for Taker to stand out if they had 3 other zombie and his mortician pairings lol

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
36 Posts
Don't like his look and his character is annoying and cringey.
But the thing that gets me is his ridiculous overselling and over the top facial expressions. Fair enough do it if you've been in like a Last Man Standing match with Undertaker but he does it every single match with the wobbly legs and all that shit.

·
Registered
7,143 Posts
I freaking love Sami Zayn. Probably the best in-ring talent in WWE next to AJ Styles, an underrated talker, extremely intelligent and endearing as well. It's a travesty how he's being "utilized" right now.

That being said, I'm still holding out hope that he'll win a WWE Championship one day.

·
Registered
5,035 Posts
I hate his character in real life, people who talk fast and are over philosophical about every shit, but I'll always appreciate Sami because he's an exceptional worker and even his current character comes off somewhat likable. Just watch his match with Nakamura or the matches with Cesaro and you will like him.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
The issue with Sami is none. His ring work is amazing and he can talk. Maybe he needs more TV time but his booking is pretty solid.
He isn't stranger to lossses but he's getting some big wins still.
The whole point of him is being an underdog. He should slowly be built for a midcard title and make it a big deal when he captures it. Then evem bigger when he captures the big one.

·
Banned
6,708 Posts
If Sami could just wear the mask, he would add depth to his character.
Been saying it for years now. Someone should leave him the mask one day. When he wears the mask he can't be defeated. When he doesn't wear the mask he suffers the taste of defeat, but not every match. No matter what, when he wears the mask he doesn't lose. Book him to run a streak that breaks Bill's record. He finally goes through the roster.

Doesn't win Royal Rumble because someone rips his mask off and throws it into the crowd. Little did they know that Sami work a fake mask, that would be revealed on Raw, or SD live though. Sami doesn't wear his mask during title matches and against other face stars. Those matches he wins and loses.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.