Wrestling Forum banner

My hypothesis to why Paige was out of character on last night's RAW

5878 Views 50 Replies 38 Participants Last post by  Dell
A lot of us who watched RAW last night were confused about Paige. Why is it that the tough as nails, ass kicker that many of us know was absent? Paige instead played the role of a kind but unsure rookie coming to congratulate AJ. Why?

My opinion this, and this is just a hypothesis, leads me to point out the fact that when Paige did win the Divas title off AJ, she shed tears. This is the same as what happened when she won the NXT Women's Championship at the tournament. This is because of Paige's great love and respect for the business.

But it would've looked pretty out of place to the fans at Post-Mania RAW if an aggressive anti-diva started crying after laying waste to the former Divas Champ.

Paige can easily reveal to AJ that it was but a ruse to lead her into a false sense of security, allowing her to get the win more easily, and compounding the budding feud. But temporarily abandoning Paige's usual persona so as to not cause confusion among the fans was a smart move.

Maybe I'm reading too far into this.
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

· Crowley's Minion
1,222 Posts
It really wouldn't of looked out of place if she cried.. Benoit cried when he won the WHC in 2004 off Haitch and he was one of the toughest SOB's in the business. Bryan cried at Mania after winning the Undisputed Championship when he laid down the belts and knelt down.. Wrestlers break characters all the time and I wasn't surprised that Paige cried when she won it, AJ was on the verge of tears when she won it off Kaitlyn at Payback.

· Lurking. Always lurking.
6,090 Posts
"Maybe I'm reading too far into this"..

Well yeah, maybe. Lol. But the thought HAD crossed my mind too I must admit.

Either way, wether planned or not, I think it worked out great. You can explain yesterday's events towards the fans as the young champ from nxt, just out there to congratulate someone she must to some extent look up to, strong in her own "little" pond but still a small fish in the big leagues, and therefore also not "ready" when AJ first suggests a match. Completely caught off guard. And she never actually says "ok let's do this" because she's just so overwhelmed by it all, she gets bullied into it but once that Black Widow is locked in shit gets real really fast, and survival instincts kick in. She hits a lucky move because (and this we all saw clear as day) after beating 12 other divas the night before at WM30, Tamina and AJ feel pretty much invincible, and don't take Paige seriously because of it. They let their guard down. Their fault.

But you BEST believe they won't make that same mistake again. This is simply the overture of their feud, and I'm looking forward to Paige showing off more of what makes her Paige, as well as AJ pushing herself (she's been in somewhat of a rut) to get her baby back. Buzzing.

In retrospect, this was a great way to elevate Paige right into the title picture, because had she simply "let her presence be known" and challenged AJ for the title, not only would she effectively be leapfrogging the entire division (which storyline wise seems silly to me, but that's a personal preference) but we'd probably get the same buildup we've gotten the last few Divas "rivalries", her pinning Tamina on Superstars or AJ on Smackdown, then AJ getting a win back by interference, bla bla bla. This is WAY more interesting.

Slightly off topic, she referred to herself in the third person while getting interviewed for Backstage Fallout by Saxton. "Usually Paige is a lot angrier, but.." :lmao
Just totally in the moment. Living the dream. Good on you kid, and good on your family. I read some of their twitter responses ("Fook me, ma baby sister's the #1 diva in the world, can't sleep"/"my little girl is champion, if I could bottle this feeling I'd be a millionair") as well as several divas congratulating her.. seems like everyone is really happy for her.

Really looking forward to what the future holds for her.. truly am.

· Registered
985 Posts
While what you say is possible , i think it was quite obvious she was nervous, you could see how fast she walked into the ring ,she was holding the mic a bit awkardly too,and its understandable.Also winning the title at her debut is a pretty big deal too.If you watch the backstage fallout(or w/e its called) you can see how happy and out of her mind she was.

· Banned
8,158 Posts
Great OP...

All that matters to me is there's a NEW Divas Champion. Finally the title is off that tiny goblin.

· Locker Room Leader
15,176 Posts
Maybe she also respected AJ in a kayfabe way and actually had no plans of challenging her. Seeing as how every diva in the locker room "hates" AJ, she came out to do what no one else would (her own words) and congratulate her on her victory. It was AJ who slapped her and belittled her and put her title on the line. Paige was actually being nice to someone for a change :lol

Either way, I was against her debuting by winning the title on her debut but fuck that, the entire segment made me love it :banderas Getting that pop and her name chanted and "This is Awesome" chants on her debut. Something she'll remember for her entire life. And it shows that HHH/Steph must be willing to invest in her, so I'm happy.

· Registered
958 Posts
I also found her being so polite and unaggressive to be really OOC. She's even said in promos before 'I'm coming for you, AJ'! But to be honest her debut couldn't have gone better, that crowd was so kind to her. I haven't marked out so hard for Divas since AJ's pipebomb

· Registered
292 Posts
It isn't that hard to comprehend.

She was out there in her wrestling gear to begin with to "congratulate" AJ lee.

She stirred AJ lee up by repeatedly congratulating her in a humbled manner and baiting her into a match in her wrestling gear.

Kayfabe AJ Lee probably knows little to do with Paige so she believes her demeanor. Evidenced by the way she talked down to the little "crumpet".

AJ Lee then dropped her guard and lost her title.

In saying that though Paige could have an altered gimmick now on the main roster, everyone just has to calm down.

· TBZ
9,271 Posts
It isn't that hard to comprehend.

She was out there in her wrestling gear to begin with to "congratulate" AJ lee.

She stirred AJ lee up by repeatedly congratulating her in a humbled manner and baiting her into a match in her wrestling gear.

Kayfabe AJ Lee probably knows little to do with Paige so she believes her demeanor. Evidenced by the way she talked down to the little "crumpet".

AJ Lee then dropped her guard and lost her title.

In saying that though Paige could have an altered gimmick now on the main roster, everyone just has to calm down.
Fuck WWE if she did.

· Registered
292 Posts
Fuck WWE if she did.
I don't think it is likely, I do think they are going to ease into her full blown gimmick though as in, tell the story of Paige right from the beginning so she doesn't come off unlikeable to those who don't know her.

· Locker Room Leader
15,176 Posts
Character development. AJ will be taking her lightly and treating the loss as a fluke, then at ER, Paige surprises her with an inspired, aggressive performance. Maybe keep having AJ belittle her on the coming weeks, so Paige gets frustrated and lets out that NXT side of her. Makes for a better story than outright acting all cocky.

· Registered
292 Posts
Yeah they have done that with Emma too. Debuted her with a toned down version of her strengths and gradually gone back to square one again.

· Registered
704 Posts
All the other Divas, actually no, all the Divas (AJ and Paige are pro wrestlers, not Divas) don't care about AJ Lee's achievement. Paige does so her congratulating AJ is in character. AJ however is a lone wolf and doesn't care about what anyone else thinks, least of all a rookie so she didn't like being interrupted. Paige didn't want to waste her debut by being squashed by an in form Champion, a fear that was almost justified by her being put in the black widow after about 2 seconds. The rest of course is history. Hope this feud lasts for a few months. AJ must stay at the pointy end of the division.

· Premium Member
1,702 Posts
Thinking about it even more it is likely that WWE has changed her gimmick a little. If you're a college football star it doesn't mean you'll go straight into being an NFL star, and you'd sure as hell be nervous on your NFL debut.

As long as Paige's character becomes more and more like her NXT diva over time then I am all for it.

· Registered
3,210 Posts
That backstage fallout was epic. Really happy for her. THAT'S the kind of passion this business needs.

Reactions: PUNKY

· Registered
15,017 Posts
Because the "anti-diva" gimmick shits over all the current divas and that bad ass type character isn't used on a debuting 20 yr old. Not to mention AJ Lee and Tamina are not the typical divas targeted by the anti-diva gimmick, I mean they're the antithesis of the stereotype themselves.

What Paige needed was pre-debut vignettes - her package promo's from NXT are top notch, should have just recycled those. And in the mean time AJ should have dropped the title to a walking divas division stereotype.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.