Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MVP made his return to WWE at the 2020 Royal Rumble pay-per-view in Houston, Texas. The following night on RAW, he competed in a one-on-one match against Rey Mysterio and those appearances led to MVP becoming a backstage producer with the company. He then began to transition to an on-screen character and fast forward to present day, he is the current WWE United States Champion and managed Bobby Lashley to a WWE Title match at Backlash in June.

MVP spoke about his new journey in WWE while on the Gorilla Position podcast and revealed that he and WWE are working on a new deal to extend his time in the company.

“It went so well that I was invited to San Antonio the night next for Monday Night RAW and I was given an opportunity to wrestle Rey Mysterio who’s my son’s favorite wrestler and then I was offered a job as a producer which I accepted because I had the intention of retiring anyway, and I was working as a producer and then I was asked to do an on-screen V.I.P. Lounge and then I was asked to do a short match and another on-screen segment and another and another and another and before I knew it, my producer — my responsibilities as a producer became less and less as I was asked to do more and more as talent, and now I can say that the WWE and myself are in negotiations for a long-term deal.”

Elsewhere during the interview, MVP praised some of the talents on the RAW roster that he’s had the opportunity to work with. He spotlighted Apollo, Ricochet, Cedric Alexander, The Street Profits (Montez Ford & Angelo Dawkins), Aleister Black and The Viking Raiders (Erik & Ivar).

“Oh man, I’ve had such a blast working with Apollo. He’s so coachable, so hungry. He’s got a great attitude. I’ve been lucky recently to work with Ricochet and Cedric Alexander and again, two tremendously talented individuals who just need reps, they need opportunities and hopefully I’ll be able to continue working with them more. The Street Profits (Montez Ford & Angelo Dawkins), just blow me away. They’re so entertaining, so cool. I think they’re great. I had a chance to wrestle the Viking Raiders in a tag match not too long ago and from the first time I saw those guys, I was just impressed by the athleticism and I was aware of them when working in Japan as well. So I never thought I’d have an opportunity to wrestle them and it was great so, the talent that I’ve been able to work with, I’ve been so impressed by these guys. Aleister Black is another guy who’s just impressed me in and out of the ring. There’s no shortage of tremendously talented guys and they all receive me very well and it’s also very humbling when some of those guys will come to me and ask for advice and ask me for my opinion on things and I’m also willing to share with them because when I came in, so many years ago, the veteran guys who were there in place had no hesitation or qualms about sharing their experience and knowledge with me so, that’s just the way the game goes.”

In regards to what’s next for him in the WWE seeing as how he and the company are working on a new deal, MVP sees himself transitioning into a Paul Heyman-esque role. He feels that he has about three years left in the ring and on top of that, he wants to see Bobby Lashley as WWE Champion and for him, he also wants to continue being an on-screen manager.

“That’s interesting because, I really see myself moving into a Heyman-esque role as I get older, but I still have a good two-to-three years of bumping left in this body. I can still go, and… I’ve done just about everything that I’ve wanted to do and I think maybe winning the tag titles with Lashley, send Lashley to a WWE Championship run. Those are some of the things I’d like to see. For now, for the immediate future, I would like to continue to be involved in the ring and have singles matches and tag matches. But over the next couple of years, I imagine I’ll be doing less of that and more of just the managerial responsibilities and I’m enjoying that a great deal.”
MVP has been doing some of his best work these past few months. Hopefully they'll work out a long-term deal.

·
The optimistic Asuka fan
3,385 Posts
So another old guy blocking time in the program. Wrestlers sit for years at NXT and after being called up the spots are blockaded. In cases like Undertaker or The Rock it is understandable, but ... sorry ... but MVP? Come on!
Apollo became champ, before even working with MVP and all the other mentioned guys won`t profit as well. The only guy profitting working with them is MVP himself! :D
They made Lashley his lackey, enough said.

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
I hope MVP sticks around. He's done a great job since he returned and having him partner up with Lashley was a great idea. Personally I would like to see MVP recruit a couple more guys over the next few months, like he did with Shelton Benjamin this last week in Raw and if all goes well I could See MVP transition into a manager's role similar to how the Million Dollar Man did over the next couple of years.

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
They probably promised him a US title run to get him to sign a long term deal.. Watch them back out of it once he signs the dotted line..

·
The Empire will Reign again
17,145 Posts
He cried just watching Kofi win the title, I know it would mean a lot for him to carry Lashley to the title, I'm not a Lashley fan but I want to see that happen.

·
Registered
818 Posts
So another old guy blocking time in the program. Wrestlers sit for years at NXT and after being called up the spots are blockaded. In cases like Undertaker or The Rock it is understandable, but ... sorry ... but MVP? Come on!
Apollo became champ, before even working with MVP and all the other mentioned guys won`t profit as well. The only guy profitting working with them is MVP himself! :D
They made Lashley his lackey, enough said.
Lashley is an old guy as well dude. Both in their 40s

·
Registered
259 Posts
Been doing fine in the role he's in if he's there to be a mouth piece for guys the work very well for him and if they need him to make sporadic appearances in the ring to take pins and what not he can do that aswell. Need to take the US title of him tho asap but I don't think that was planned it was just something they have to do because crews contracted coronavirus

·
Sports Entertainment Enthusiast
810 Posts
good . if average talent like strowman or mcyntre are world champions . mvp should win at least one

·
The optimistic Asuka fan
3,385 Posts
Lashley is an old guy as well dude. Both in their 40s
I don`t wanna start with 2 years here, even if they count a lot in that age group. But you are making it yourself too easy.
Lashley was in full shape already, when he was rehired fully two years ago wtih 42. Wasting him in sisters segment for Zayn was typical WWE. Now putting him as lackey for MVP is just a joke. MVP was there somehow for classic stuff the last 2 years, but hiring him back now fully with 46, I don`t see a reason for.
It was okay using him as Lashley's manager for a while and it could have ended for good. But now they overblow the thing. If that would be just MVP, who cares, but they do the same stuff again and again. Bring your actual younger talent over and don`t rehire guys as full performer just for nostalgia.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I don`t wanna start with 2 years here, even if they count a lot in that age group. But you are making it yourself too easy.
Lashley was in full shape already, when he was rehired fully two years ago wtih 42. Wasting him in sisters segment for Zayn was typical WWE. Now putting him as lackey for MVP is just a joke. MVP was there somehow for classic stuff the last 2 years, but hiring him back now fully with 46, I don`t see a reason for.
It was okay using him as Lashley's manager for a while and it could have ended for good. But now they overblow the thing. If that would be just MVP, who cares, but they do the same stuff again and again. Bring your actual younger talent over and don`t rehire guys as full performer just for nostalgia.
I think he's fine in the managerial role and helping produce matches behind the scene that's the right role for him. And as for lashley they've never used the guy to his full potential he can be a top guy is run in impact he was awesome and portrayed as a real monster but in the wwe he just always ends up in the mid card why guys like Otis gets pushed because he makes Vince laugh

·
Registered
818 Posts
His there to cover Lashleys weakness. In impact promos are more secondary. In WWE they are primary. He needs a manager.

And they do have history. The beatdown clan I believe

·
Registered
259 Posts
His there to cover Lashleys weakness. In impact promos are more secondary. In WWE they are primary. He needs a manager.

And they do have history. The beatdown clan I believe
I didn't think lashley was to bad on the Mic in impact when they let him come out and just be the guy who says 'I'm the baddest guy here and I know I am' he just came across more real because everything wasn't scripted to the letter some guys just cant do well.with them kinda promos where they have to say things a certain way and do the promo word for word it's not there comfort zone. I rewatched some of the lashley vs McIntyre stuff in impact before they had there match at backlash when they was fueding for the world title over there and lashley was fine on the mic he was believable and straight to the point

·
Premium Member
12,029 Posts
He's a good hand and has a character, and he's there to get other people over. Keep him around.
Anyone who says he's too old can take their flippy bland dive athletes and jog on.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts