Wrestling Forum banner

21 - 40 of 236 Posts

·
WF's #1 Mox fan.
23,551 Posts
Re: Music Club - Week 1

How long do we have to listen and write a review? The rest of the week?

·
You Spoony Bard
9,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)

Sunday.

How long do we have to listen and write a review? The rest of the week?
This album was a bit of hit or miss for me. The jazz fusion stuff only worked in small doses, especially in the ballads. When it was heavily featured, it really brought down those songs. My favorites were Suffer Not, Finest Hour, and Hymn for Him. Those were fantastic. Sadly, I can't say the same about the rest of the album. But I'm glad I listened to it; it was a completely new band for me. That's exactly why I wanted to make this club. So thank you, DOPA. :bayley2

6/10

·
Registered
15,496 Posts

On a bit of a related side note:

I just listened to an album from Yppah called Eighty One which is on the same label as Submotion Orchestra. It's actually because of Finest Hour that I found it. Really good stuff, and kinda similar to Submotion's work only far less heavy on the jazzy elements. The track "Film Burn" is pretty incredible IMO

That's what's cool about stepping outside one's comfort zone and trying new genres. It branches you off into a world of undiscovered music.

·
WF's #1 Mox fan.
23,551 Posts

Shit, sorry! I've been busy these two last days. I'll get my review in tomorrow!

·
Premium Member
9,272 Posts

Finally had a chance to give the entire album a listen. This was a nice slice of chilled out downtempo electronica. I'll probably give this a listen again while running errands over the weekend. The standout track for me was Always. It reminded me of a lot of the 90s stuff that I used to dance to on nights out.

7/10. Nothing groundbreaking, but something I'd definitely listen to again for a chill-out.

·
Baby It's Violence
7,117 Posts
Currently in the library at my college doing work all day. Will probably listen it to it now given some of the reviews so far. I bet it'll just help me concentrate and focus more! :becky2

Imagine that it's late in the evening. You're walking along a city street, brushing some of the moisture off your face thanks to the light drizzle which is almost gliding its way down. Restaurants and stores on either sides of the street are still glimmering with life, as the last of their clientle laugh and clink glasses before they close up shop for the night. The traffic is still motoring along as well, although with every passing half hour the amount of cars slowly decreases. There's a chilly, yet refreshingly crisp quality to the air you're breathing, peppered with the smells of baked desserts, sweet exhaust vapors from those cars passing by, and the occassional biting smell of alcohol from someone who clearly went over their limit. Out of the corner of your eye, you spot what looks and feels like a club, yet the music certainly feels loungey, with the airy and breathless female vocals gliding their way over some tasteful electronica beats, and a trumpet that sounds like its calling out to whoever will listen.

That's exactly the feel I got when listening to this, to give a hand at descriptive imagery :lol

Overall I really did enjoy this album. It's not the genre I go into too often, although the closest I could think of were older 90s electronia inspired acts like Moby, or the electronic/hip hop tracks somebody like Pretty Lights would make. While I wasn't too keen on some of the ballad moments on the record, or the real experimental moments like Secrets, the real highlights of the album were when their infulences all were wore on their sleeves. The opening track in Angel Eyes does a tremendous job at setting you up for what is to come, with a female vocal that swims and dances in a blissful orchestral arrangement, before switching to swift beat mixed in with some keys, and then into a more jungle beats and drum and bass vibe by the end. It's the moments where you have all those elements building up to combine together in some sort of a climax that gets me the most, like the last section of All Yours that adds a moody trumpet to the mix, or the end of Suffer Not which does the same.

But for functioning as an album good for lounging and relaxing with the sole intention of letting your mind wander, or using it as background to help focus on a task at hand, I think it functions well in both those aspects. And while it has elements and moments which stand out, it isn't the type of album where I can simply only focus on it and be content, because I honestly think I would get a little bored if I did so. Perhaps that a knock on the album, or maybe a knock on myself considering this isn't my favorite genre. Still however, for somebody who likes electronica with elements of jazz, hip-hop, lounge, and drum and bass, this would be right up their alley.

6/10

·
WF's #1 Mox fan.
23,551 Posts

Finally got a chance to listen to the album!

It's not a genre I listen to AT ALL, in fact I could say I've never listened to it :lol I didn't really know what to expect.

But I quite like this album! I love how relaxed it is and how it's nice to have on in the background while doing other things, but some of the tracks I paid more attention to others. I love the jazz theme to the tracks, as saxophones are one of my favourite instruments in songs. I did find myself liking the instrumental tracks more than the ones with vocals.

The tracks that stood out to me are "Back Chat" (probably my favourite, I love the piano in it!), "Hymn For Him", "Pop And Lock" and "Perfection".

I think I'll listen to it again, especially "Back Chat".

6/10

·
THE EXTREME HORSEMEN
5,978 Posts

My bad, SK. Review coming shortly.

I really didn't feel this at all, it just didn't do anything for me. I didn't find her voice soothing or calming which is the point of this type of genre, or at least that's how I see it. Most of the tracks sounded the same and I found there was no real verity or noticeable difference between them, aside from a new instrument or beat being used.

4/10

·
THE EXTREME HORSEMEN
5,978 Posts

:monkey Damn, this is some pressure.

All is Violent, All is Bright. -God is an Astronaut.

My favourite album, one that I only discovered because I was looking for tribute videos for my favourite TV show OZ, and I stumbled upon the title track as the music and that was that.

Can't wait to read everyone's thoughts on it.

·
Premium Member
8,251 Posts

Listened to this album years ago and remember it being okay. Been a long time though so this will be interesting :eek:.

·
WF's #1 Mox fan.
23,551 Posts
Re: Music Club - Week 2

Can anybody find a YT link to the full album? I'm having awful trouble finding details on the album or any place to listen to it in full :/ When I googled it it just gave me links to actual astronaut stuff LOL.

21 - 40 of 236 Posts