Wrestling Forum banner

221 - 236 of 236 Posts

·
THE EXTREME HORSEMEN
5,978 Posts
I love this album so much.

It's a odd mix of metal and electronics, which you'd think would suck but its the complete opposite. It mixes SO well. Like, getting drunk and putting some shit together you wouldn't think would work, and somehow it gets you more drunk and euphoric than ever before. That's how I felt about this. It also (and this will sound odd as fuck, but stick with me here) felt like the type of music you'd fined attached to a tribute video on YouTube, and it would grab you right away, and make the video even better than it might have been. Fault was my jam, but I loved everything.

TEN :rusevyes out of TEN.

·
Premium Member
9,635 Posts
Astronoid - Astronoid

I'll start with the positive - the vocals! The singer has amazing vocals and he really displays that on this album. I love the melodies too. A lot of the songs are really catchy. I consider myself a casual listener of metal at best, so at first listen, this sounded really fresh & different to me...which leads me to the negative. About halfway through, I started to realize that a lot of it was starting to sound the same and that carried on through the rest of the album. They were definitely onto something with blending elements of metal, post-rock & even shoegaze together, but I wish they would have done more to explore that and keep things sounding fresh.

Favorite song: I Dream in Lines

6/10

·
Manic Pixie Dream Girl
3,922 Posts
I'm so sorry for the lateness of my review.

So, this was a fresh experience for me. I knew nothing of Astronoid going into this, but I sorta dug this one. It's an interesting amalgam of shoegaze and metal. The drumming is pretty damn boss on this one. Pretty cool stuff.

6.5 Master Mages out of 10

·
Baby It's Violence
7,121 Posts
Ugh. My last review was dreadful and dreadfully late. Apologies. This week's will be a decided improvement! :anna
Hey it's technically a week by week review thing, so if I post it later, the week still applies. And I've been posting who gets to choose next like Tuesday night (and now Wed!) so no worries :lol

·
Devil's Blood
3,370 Posts
Matthew Good
Hospital Music (2007)

____

This one will be quite short from me this week, sadly.

This album is a solid listen and flew by very quick. Many musicians want cohesive and free flowing albums and this album is extraordinary at it. The compositions, guitar work and smooth vocal styles of Good shone throughout. Also well put together lyricism and song arrangements made this an enjoyable listen for me also. This was another one outside my boundaries and this music club is why I find these types of choices excellent to try out!

Even though it's not a genre or style I will listen to again (or sought out to begin with) I won't deny this guy's talent at all. Solid stuff!

Favorite track: "I'm The Window"

7 Alexas out of 10!

·
SLAVE.
3,384 Posts
Hospital Music - 7/10.

I picked this as this music club has been a great excuse to revisit pockets of my own history, this is no different. Hospital Music teleports me back to my midteens where I was really getting into that weird window of history where I basically lived my life on forums and MSN Messenger and had a life which basically took place entirely within the 15 inches of my laptop screen. I am not really a big fan of the album now listening back but in some way that gives me comfort in how far I have come from that boy. The boy that used to have this album on repeat for twelve hours a day while talking to "best friends" I had never met, knew nothing about and in fact haven't spoken to in well over a decade.

I will give it to Matthew Good though, I still think his voice is gorgeous, there is enough variety in the album to keep it interesting throughout and while it isn't much to my tastes anymore the lyrical design and construction and the general quality of the production means it comes as no surprise that I once adored this album and burned it out through repeat listens.

·
Baby It's Violence
7,121 Posts
@Doctor Phantom ; Aww man :mj2 Well, it was fun having you as a part of this, we'll be around if you want to hop back in :)

I plan on writing my review tomorrow (and also picking next week's album chooser), so hopefully me along with @Ace ; @december_blue ; @777 ; can get our reviews in on this.

Also, we're kind of a smaller group now. I'm thinking about creating a new thread that I can keep updated better since this was Sol Katti's thread originally, and maybe seeing if anybody else in the forum would be interested in joining this. I've been having a lot of fun doing this and I don't want it to just fizzle out. So if anybody knows any big music lovers on here, send them this way! :becky2

·
THE EXTREME HORSEMEN
5,978 Posts
The Soul Kat's journey into the great beyond has caused a ripple effect throughout the club. I'm also running on 30 mins of sleep, so I'm rambling and stumbling.

Never heard of Good before this week. Dude's got a sweet voice, and he looks like a cool teacher that you might see sharing a smoke with a student behind the shelter sheds. I like him is what I'm trying say. I like the album to a certain extent as well, it's not mind blowing or anything. But's it's super chill throughout, and Good puts his best foot forward into making me like him more. No song really stood out, but nothing was bad. It was just a fun way to kill some time.

6 :rusevyes out of 10

·
Baby It's Violence
7,121 Posts
Hospital Music - Matthew Good

So I looked up this album first before I listened to it, and was met with an interesting article written by somebody who sat down and interviewed Good on the creation of the album. What I discovered is that Good wrote this album with his mindset in quite a dark place following the divorce of his wife, as well as his own mental struggles from both anxiety and bipolar disorder. All of those in mind sort of sets the tone of the album and what I was expecting to be a very bleak album overall.

While this still ended up being a fairly bleak album when it comes to the meanings behind a lot of his lyrics, there was actually a lot of different infulenced evident on the music itself. The opener Champions of Nothing is a sprawling epic which reminds me of Pink Floyd at times, and from the get go you can hear the emotion and bitterness in Good's voice (who is a very talented singer mind you). I think this song in particular is referencing his ex-wife, but obviously not in a good light. From here there are a lot of folk elements and alternative rock elements throughout the record, with tales of just dispair and negativity evident in songs like 99% of Us Is Failure and Born Losers.

There are also some interesting numbers which I enjoyed a ton, like the ballad Odette which has this beautiful background that reminds me a lot of The Flaming Lips, and lyrics that seem like a tale of personal struggle with his bipolar disorder. The Boy Come Home is more of a folk rock tune that almost feels like Good telling the story of childhood in rural america and him returning there after many years (that's why I interpreted), while The Devil In Your Details functions as more of a straight rock number and has bearing as being the most upbeat song on the record.

Overall, pretty enjoyable listen with a couple of lovely tracks and a whole lot of different genre influences to keep things fresh.

7/10

Favorite Songs

Odette
The Devil's In Your Hands
Champions of Nothing
The Boy Come Home

Also @december_blue ; you can choose next week's album when you get a chance to. Once you do, I'll make the new thread for all of us to join! :)

·
Premium Member
9,635 Posts
Sorry about the delay. I'll start off with my review of the Matthew Good album.

Matthew Good - Hospital Music

I used to hear a lot of Matthew Good's music when I was growing up. Gotta love Can Con regulations. But I've never sat down and listened to a full album of his. It's a dark, but beautiful album, almost tortured - that got more poignant for me after reading about the personal turmoil that led up to it's making. 99% of Us Is Failure was my favorite song by a mile. It just really resonated with me in such a deep way. Hospital Music is something I'd have to be in a particular mood to listen to again, but all in all, it's pretty solid.

7.5/10

And for next week's album...

The Japanese House - Good At Falling

A recent release that I've been digging for the past few weeks.

221 - 236 of 236 Posts