SK
Middy
DOPA
december_blue
Black Metal
Phantom
Donnie

History
Finest Hour - Submotion Orchestra (Avg Rating: 6/10)
All is Violent, All is Bright - God is an Astronaut (Avg Rating: 6/10)
Room Noises - Eisley (Avg Rating: 7/10)
A Brief Inquiry into Online Relationships - The 1975 (Avg Rating: 7/10)
I Loved You At Your Darkest - Behemoth (Avg Rating: 7.5/10)
Centerfold - Darcys (Avg Rating: 7/10)
Let's Knife - Shonen Knife (Avg Rating: 7/10)
Cassadaga - Bright Eyes (Avg Rating: 7/10)
American Utopia - David Byrne (Avg Rating: 6.5/10)

·
Premium Member
8,880 Posts
Re: Music Club

Count me in!

·
WF's #1 Mox fan.
23,551 Posts

Reckon I'll join in :)

·
Premium Member
8,251 Posts

Fuck, I was hoping I wouldn't have to pick so soon. Trying to think of a band/album no one knows cos Katti practically has my taste in music down :monkey. I might have to start listening to new stuff again.

Anyway, thought it would be fun to go back to an album I've not listened to for a while but is one that I love. So:

One of my favourite albums from around 7 years ago, an Electronic/Downtempo project called Submotion Orchestra, album is called Finest Hour.

@SOL MOTHAFUCKA KATTI will I have to write a review of this album too?

·
Registered
15,410 Posts
Re: Music Club - Week 1

@DOPA;

Thanks for sharing that album. I enjoyed it.

Reminds me of Tricky and Lamb, which I think is the era in which this music draws it's main inspiration from? I've never been really into music that sounds too loungy or jazzy, but this album was clearly handled with care and intricacy. It's nice how some of the songs shift from smooth, to rythmic drum & bass-like beats (like on Angel Eyes and Secrets) with a transition that feels natural to the tone of the album. The lead singer has a beautiful voice that is suited for the music here.

I didn't love ALL the tracks, but nothing really felt out of place and the sense of flow was on point. It's fantastic for headphone-listening on a day where you're in the mood to chill out and appreciate well-arranged music.

:eva2

·
Devil's Blood
3,353 Posts
Re: Music Club - Week 1

Submotion Orchestra
Final Hour (2011)

Trying to write formal here! Let me get into it and be fun with it as well. :p

____

Not my typical go to genre, hell it's a niche sub-genre I never even knew existed if I'm honest. I know many forms of electronica and neo-jazz but never found much that complimented each other as much as this. My mind might be narrow but I'm speaking very openly stating that.

The tracks are seamless and keep the mood light while also being whimsical (not sure if that word is best suited to be said hahaha) and out there to explore sonically. The beats are tight and the saxophone shines when the solos are present. The vocals match the groove of the music perfectly and I say that as a huge compliment. The sound is mixed well and nothing is overpowering another facet during the compositions.

I'd say this is best suited for background music while doing light activities around the house. At least that's the desire I'd get from listening to this. I'm not a huge fan but it wasn't something I'd say was not good or awful. I enjoy listening to new and undiscovered territories, hence why I joined this thread's music club. This is a good start!

Favorite track: "Pop and Lock"

3 Alexas out of 5!

1 - 20 of 236 Posts