Wrestling Forum banner

181 - 200 of 383 Posts

·
40,760 Posts
Re: El Paso Walmart Shooting. 20 DEAD, 26 Injured... WHEN WILL IT END?!

But Deso brought up United States neglect mental health issues compared to other countries. So I assume our input can be somehow helpful to support or deny the claim that it is all on mental health?

Americans input on this issue has largely been useless too. So why direct this at us non-Americans? :shrug
i'm just gotten to lol

Don't mind me continue to do whatever you want to do. I love you all to be honest.

Also that's actually Lou you're talking to not DesolationRow btw

·
Attending Chris Jericho's Rager with Scott Steiner
6,418 Posts
Re: El Paso Mall Shooting... WHEN WILL IT END! 18 DEAD, Dozens Injured

Are you saying mental health issues were not around before too?
Our world is more fast-paced, stressful, crowded and (ironically) socially isolated now compared to the last few decades. I don't think the mental health field has kept up with this rapid change from the introduction of computers into society, no. So when you ask if mental health issues existed before, my answer is of course. But the beast has evolved into something else and we're way behind its curve.

·
40,760 Posts

Our world is more fast-paced, stressful, crowded and (ironically) socially isolated now compared to the last few decades. I don't think the mental health field has kept up with this rapid change from the introduction of computers into society, no. So when you ask if mental health issues existed before, my answer is of course. But the beast has evolved into something else and we're way behind its curve.
I cannot agree with this post more.

·
Registered
6,710 Posts

i'm just gotten to lol

Don't mind me continue to do whatever you want to do. I love you all to be honest.

Also that's actually Lou you're talking to not DesolationRow btw
Maybe I am the one that needs mental help with all the name changing around.

Again, compared to which other country with regards to handling these issues? Aren't everyone facing similar issues but don't face a spike in mass shooting? Guns ownership per capita seem to be the only major difference.

·
Registered
15,835 Posts

Yes, but the guns were always around. Do you not question why in the past 20 years there has been a spike in mass shootings? This is a moral fabric and cultural issue. I'm not saying don't change gun laws or do change gun laws. I'm saying that isn't the root of the problem.
It's harder to discover that reason and deal with it than to pin it on an easy scapegoat. Look at the conversation now... one side is screaming about the guns and the other is now bringing up video games again. Neither is wanting to look at the array of issues that have arisen in the past 20 years or so.

Since Columbine:

- The media has become all about clickbait/ratings... 24/7 coverage that needs to deliver the goods to keep a network afloat. These events grab ratings, so they not only pull more airtime but we also see far more of these events simply because we now get more news offered to us than ever before. Add to that, that we have not only fetishised the coverage of these gruesome events, but the outrage around them as well. Just look at these threads about shootings. Let's not even discuss the prevalence of playing with definitions to grab a good headline.... that alone muddies the waters in these discussions.

- mental health is not taken as seriously as it should be, especially in a rapidly changing world that is seeing anger and suicide rates skyrocket in many developed nations.

- the internet: like it or not, the internet, specifically social media, has completely dehumanised our interactions and it has given power to the most extreme of voices. I'm not even sure how this can be fixed as a problem. We are only getting more disconnected from each other with each new app.

- violence is considered an acceptable form of protest now.

- people do not want to talk nor do they want to accept that differing opinions are okay. This ties into the above two points and it has created more hostility in discussions that were once nowhere near as incendiary as they get now.

There are even more issues that are involved, but the above are probably the ones that mix and create the volatile and complex situations that have given rise to the seeming "explosion" of mass shootings. And there is really no easy answer in that mess so trying to discuss and tackle it is nowhere near as immediately gratifying as yelling about a scapegoat that doesn't even tackle the underlying issue that would exist with or without those scapegoats.

·
40,760 Posts
Re: Mass Shooting in Dayton, Ohio, Kills at Least 9

Ok at least she's just an Ohio legislator. All she can do is fuck up that state.

But we definitely still do have some really dumb people in the US Congress.

·
6,418 Posts

Again, compared to which other country with regards to handling these issues? Aren't everyone facing similar issues but don't face a spike in mass shooting? Guns ownership per capita seem to be the only major difference.
You're going in circles with me. I said compare it to USA from before. Something else has changed. When you find what that something else is, you will have your answer.

·
Registered
6,710 Posts

You're going in circles with me. I said compare it to USA from before. Something else has changed. When you find what that something else is, you will have your answer.
I am simply asking why if everywhere else faces the same rapid changes, why is the US the only one facing this problem? Blaming it on anything but guns just seem to me like burying your head in the sand and wishing the problem will go away.

I did say what I felt changed in America that could be one of the causes. Gun manufacturers fetishsizing gun ownership to sell guns. If you want to compared now to USA before, look up how the NRA messaging changed during the 70's.

·
6,418 Posts

I am simply asking why if everywhere else faces the same rapid changes, why is the US the only one facing this problem?
Every country has its own problems and what may work somewhere else may not work elsewhere. What is a fair question is: Why wasn't this happening nearly as frequently in USA of the past? I'm going to disagree with your take on glorifying guns. I think something has happened to the culture in America over the last 20 years where people are dehumanizing one another and going home to their echo chambers on the internet instead of talking to friends at a coffee shop or a pub.

·
Premium Member
1,866 Posts

Mass shooters come from shitty home environments. Most of them are from single moms and they're on SSRIs.

Self defense is a natural right and firearms are not something the gov't can simply take away. We ain't giving up shit. We ain't registering shit.

Guns used to be MUCH easier to obtain (no background checks either). You could get them delivered to your door. Students in high school had shooting clubs and nothing ever happened. But now we've had decades of cultural rot and abandoning all the traditional values and we wonder why some people snap.

Reactions: Fringe

·
E:16
6,195 Posts

No, its not circular at all, you're trying to suggest its recent cultural changes, the same changes happening elsewhere, and not access to guns that are causing this issue. Whereas Tofu is suggesting that gun laws are a part of the reason why cultural changes are happening and specifically why America has a shooting issue.

The very fact that guns are a part of a culture will lead to changes withing that culture in the same way a lack of guns also leads to changes within that culture, you can't wave it away and go 'mental health' just because 30 years ago you didn't have mass shootings.

You know what other cultures do when mass shootings happen? Demonise guns, restrict guns, make them taboo. America does not, it sings the '2nd ammendment' hymn every time, the right and NRA glorify gun ownership as some brave heroic thing to stand up for American culture, Clint Eastwood shouts 'from my cold dead hands' to wild cheers and the same old tired mental health trope comes out followed by if only we led God in to schools and give teachers guns.

Edit: i hadn't even seen the other thread filled with 2nd amendment sycophants, just goes to prove the point at least. Its dem Queers wot does it.

·
6,195 Posts

To cheer you up, this isn't an uniquely American problem. Politicians everywhere leverage bigotry to get re-elected. Especially in areas that is heavily religious.
In the UK its not religious places but poor, low educated people that eat this up. Thats why it doesn't take off so strongly as the rich white christians in America, we tend to point at these guys and go 'thickos' whereas yours tend to get elevated.

·
Baby It's Violence
7,122 Posts

A Republican Representative just responded to a mass shooting in her state by literally writing a manifesto a white terrorist mass shooter would write. Smh, I can't.

And 45's dumbass doesn't even know or sincerely care what city the damn shooting took place at.
Well that's a mighty fine statement that will definitely lead to her community coming together and fighting this problem.

I'm actually impressed as her idiocy though. Amazing how people like her get elected huh?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Re: El Paso Walmart Shooting. 20 DEAD, 26 Injured... WHEN WILL IT END?!

It's time for the US Federal Gov to start toughening the gun laws and restricting gun ownership as much as they can.

Yes mental health may play it's part in these shootings but you know what It's much harder for a mentally ill individual to murder 20+ individuals when he does not have access to a firearm.

·
Registered
5,760 Posts

I think the whole "its the guns fault" kinda falls when you look at the statistics.
The last 20 years the murder rate(gun homicides) has actually been cut in half if you compare it with 1970-2000. So the US has seen a big decrease in actual gun homicides(even though around 40 are killed every day in gun homicides).
But on the other hand, mass shootings have actually increased the last 20 years.

So how come the gun homicides has dropped while mass shootings has gone up, during the same period of time? Its an interesting note.

I think its unfair to compare the US with other countries. And I think the reason for mass shootings its a mix of many things.
I do also think that most suggestions to make it harder for people to buy guns have no effect at all when it comes to mass shootings. Its just populistic suggestions with no real effect. The whole "Sounds good, doesnt work".

·
6,418 Posts

No, its not circular at all, you're trying to suggest its recent cultural changes, the same changes happening elsewhere, and not access to guns that are causing this issue. Whereas Tofu is suggesting that gun laws are a part of the reason why cultural changes are happening and specifically why America has a shooting issue.

The very fact that guns are a part of a culture will lead to changes withing that culture in the same way a lack of guns also leads to changes within that culture, you can't wave it away and go 'mental health' just because 30 years ago you didn't have mass shootings.

You know what other cultures do when mass shootings happen? Demonise guns, restrict guns, make them taboo. America does not, it sings the '2nd ammendment' hymn every time, the right and NRA glorify gun ownership as some brave heroic thing to stand up for American culture, Clint Eastwood shouts 'from my cold dead hands' to wild cheers and the same old tired mental health trope comes out followed by if only we led God in to schools and give teachers guns.

Edit: i hadn't even seen the other thread filled with 2nd amendment sycophants, just goes to prove the point at least. Its dem Queers wot does it.
You know what? Fuck it, it's the guns. Take them.

·
6,195 Posts

I think its unfair to compare the US with other countries.
Only because then the US looks like a 3rd world country and it doesn't suit your narrative of 'guns aren't the problem'.

Stop crying about it being unfair.

You know what? Fuck it, it's the guns. Take them.
There's a happy medium somewhere that won't end up with a civil war :)

·
Banned
2,427 Posts

"We need more mental health counseling"... "We need more gun restrictions... "We need..." "We need..."

How about you raise your fucking children not to be violent weirdos. (Y)

181 - 200 of 383 Posts