Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over time, most wrestlers alter their moveset, sometimes to freshen up, sometimes to go with a new character and sometimes because they cant perform/wont risk performing the move anymore.

Are there any moves you miss seing a wrestler perform? Here are some of mine.

Brock: Brock lock, triple rib breaker. They were both kick ass and looked deadly on smaller opponents.

Seth Rollins: Gods last gift. I think he only performed it once on Balor during his WWE carreer. It obviously cant be performed on bigger guys, but would be a neat secondary finisher.

Roman: Black tiger bomb. He didnt always hit it perfectly, maybe that's why he dropped it. But it gave his moveset some needed variety.

Kevin Owens: package piledriver slam thingy. He picked up his opponent like the setup for the package piledriver, but turned it into a slam (since piledrivers are banned). Thought it looked kinda unique and cool. Maybe it's just my memory playing tricks on me. But has he also gotten rid of the top rope fishermans buster? Because that thing was so cool, even though the setup was sometimes obvious.

·
F*** This indy flippy shit
2,133 Posts
Piledriver. It was a staple of professional wrestling for decades and got banned for no good reason. A wrestler is much more likely to get injured doing these high risk dives than they do from a piledriver. Assuming the person performing the move knows what they are doing.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Don't know if there are specific moves I miss, but I certainly miss when there was more of a balance towards a grounded style of wrestling.
I can't prove this but my thought is that the lack of pure grounded wrestlers is the reason behind the lack of truly great storytelling in todays product. Mat based wrestlers were the perfect middle ground between high flyers, technical hybrids and power Big guys. They were the one style that could work with them all best. Id give anything to have a Hart, Benoit, Malenko, etc.

·
Registered
669 Posts
I miss when knocked out referees recovered and only had enough energy to count 1.......................2............................3 very, very slowly. This worked. You know why? because, like any good thing, it sustained the tension, kept the fans with their heart in their mouths, and best of all provided a reasonable excuse for a kick out of a finisher.

They knew how to do false finishes in the past, and it worked, every single time. I loved that shit.

I miss when run-in interferences happened when the ref was down and a good guy would storm the ring, hit his finisher, save the day and drape the other good guy's body on top of the heel just in time for the ref to recover for the slooooooooooooooow three count. And don't deny it. That had far more tension in it than numerous false-kick outs now.

A good spot is a good spot.

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
Suicide dives and Superkicks. Oh wait.. This one is about what we miss, not what´s overdone. ;)
I miss actual wrestling moves as finishers. It´s ridiculous how many finishers is a variety of a kick. Black mass, Claymore, Brogue kick, Helluva kick, Kinshasa.. the list goes on.

·
Registered
835 Posts
I understand why people dont do it anymore (just look at hogan) but I really miss the guliitine leg drop from the top rope. Psychosis was probably my first ever favorite wrestler. I was also a big fan of Kenny dykstra..

·
Registered
184 Posts
The only Wrestlemania match I've watched so far is Edge vs Orton. I literally squeaked in excitement when I thought Orton was going to punt him (right before Edge speared him).

Other than that, I also miss the piledriver and its variations.

·
Registered
108 Posts
In general: The crossface chickenwing, The gogoplata and the muscle buster

Wrestler specific: Lesnar's shooting star press; Dustin Rhodes' Powerslam; DDP's Cutter

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
In general: The crossface chickenwing, The gogoplata and the muscle buster

Wrestler specific: Lesnar's shooting star press; Dustin Rhodes' Powerslam; DDP's Cutter
Dustin doesn't do the powerslam anymore? That's too bad. He one of the best in the business.

·
Fearless University Graduate
15,246 Posts
Powerhouse moves. What happened to all the real powerhouse's in Pro Wrestling? Even Braun Strowman does sweet piss all. If he came along 10-15 years ago he'd be doing all sorts of slams and throwing people around instead he just runs and moves as much as possible to look agile. Most big guys thesedays feel the need to show off what great athletes they are but where's the Powerbombs, Gorilla Press Slams, Spinebusters, Powerslams, etc?

Every single wrestler in the World doesn't need to limit their entire moveset down to superkicks and suicide dives.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts