Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Playing it safe, I'd say that's about right, or you could take a risk & add Mellencamp.

You guys can have all those though, I'll keep The Cure for own altar.

·
Registered
327 Posts
You guys can have all those though, I'll keep The Cure for own altar.
I'd probably put The Cure there, for Disintegration alone.

Other than that...
I listen to music from the 80s, but I'm not sure I know all the material of one artist specific to that decade.
Ozzy Osbourne comes to mind - he put 5 albums during that decade, and strong ones too - but Ozzy's kinda universal. He was huge in the 70s with Sabbath, he was big in the 80s with the Randy Rhoads albums, he was successful in the 90s after No More Tears, and even in the 2000s...with the Osbournes.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Definitely not Whitney. I'd give the fourth spot to Springsteen. Yeah, he had some of his major, critically-acclaimed stuff came out in the '70s, but then, so did MJ. The '80s were when he became a global icon, and his combination of icon status then and continued relevance now I'd say earns him a spot. I'm sad I can't put Van Halen up there, but I can't argue they deserve it over the Boss, and I wouldn't bump any of the Jacko/Material Girl/His Purpleness trinity.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Michael Jackson/Madonna/Phil Collins/Def Leppard for me. Honorable mentions would be Springsteen, Prince, Lionel Richie and Billy Joel. Whitney didn't really hit my radar until the early 90's to be honest.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Michael Jackson/Madonna/Phil Collins/Def Leppard for me. Honorable mentions would be Springsteen, Prince, Lionel Richie and Billy Joel. Whitney didn't really hit my radar until the early 90's to be honest.
Whitney was super in the '80s. The deal about Whitney is even though she didn't get as many top 10 spots as the others, what solidifies her recognition is the fact that she got an absolutely insane amount of play throughout the '80s. Definitely as much as MJ & Cyndi did. You couldn't go anywhere in a large public area without hearing:

"I Wanna Dance With Somebody"

"The Greatest Love Of All"

"Saving All My Love For You"

Even "One Moment In Time" got high tier play for those days.

The '90s got her in the top 10 for sure with "I'm Every Woman" and "I Will Always Love You". But it was the '80s that put her on the mountaintop.

Guess it depends on how many faces we want to put on the Rushmore. That decade had so many legends to be considered for it's ridiculous to even imagine by today's standards.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Whitney was super in the '80s. The deal about Whitney is even though she didn't get as many top 10 spots as the others, what solidifies her recognition is the fact that she got an absolutely insane amount of play throughout the '80s. Definitely as much as MJ & Cyndi did. You couldn't go anywhere in a large public area without hearing:

"I Wanna Dance With Somebody"

"The Greatest Love Of All"

"Saving All My Love For You"

Even "One Moment In Time" got high tier play for those days.

The '90s got her in the top 10 for sure with "I'm Every Woman" and "I Will Always Love You". But it was the '80s that put her on the mountaintop.

Guess it depends on how many faces we want to put on the Rushmore. That decade had so many legends to be considered for it's ridiculous to even imagine by today's standards.
Yeah, I recall hearing her songs semi-frequently but her presence wasn't as ubiquitous where I lived until her 3rd album and her US Anthem deal in 91. The 80's had such hot competition at the top that a few were bound to get lost in the shuffle I suppose. I even forgot to mention George Michael, who was HUGE in my parts. Careless Whisper and Faith were played to no end at the outlet mall

·
Mamba Mentality
26,071 Posts
I'm talking about in music industry. To me it's gotta be MJ/Madonna/Prince/Whitney IMO.
Michael Jackson & Prince & Madonna are the Trinity of the 1980s.

The fourth spot on Mount Rushmore of the 80s is just a little tougher for me to select. I like the Whitney Houston choice, but I will have to agree with the posts stating Whitney's top dominance was the early 90s. Bruce Springsteen or George Michael are actually an excellent picks. Billy Joel could go there as well. I mean Phil Collins, Lionel Richie, and Janet Jackson deserve shout outs.

I am going to pick LL Cool J because Hip Hop must be represented on my 80s Mount Rushmore. LL made a tremendous impact as a pioneer of this cultural phenomenon. But hell, I could have even gone with Run DMC!! Where's @-XERO- when I could use an assist? lol

2,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
What about George Michael? Dude has the second most no1 hits in the 80s only behind MJ himself. After all, Wham technically is George Michael but in different name.

Not to mention the dude has 2 songs of the year (Careless Whisper 1985 and Faith 1988 also album of the year).

·
My mom thinks I'm cool.
2,095 Posts
I don't know what the criteria is for getting on those so I'm just going to say Ozzy Osbourne, Rob Halford, James Hetfield and Eddie. \m/

Reactions: Punkholic

·
Distant Relative of Former Def Jam Intern/Presiden
16,262 Posts
Michael Jackson
LL Cool J
Ozzy Osbourne
Madonna

I am going to pick LL Cool J because Hip Hop must be represented on my 80s Mount Rushmore. LL made a tremendous impact as a pioneer of this cultural phenomenon. But hell, I could have even gone with Run DMC!! Where's @-XERO- when I could use an assist? lol

·
40,758 Posts
I think it's George Michael as the fourth. Faith was absolutely huge. Obvious big pop success, but it also was an R&B hit. It crossed over to country music fans even. Here's a gay British guy that even a Merle Haggard fan can enjoy. I'm probably just really partial to George though. I think he was an immensely gifted vocalist.

Lionel Richie, Whitney, Bon Jovi, Springsteen all work too I reckon.

But yeah clearly the top 3 are Jackson, Madonna and Prince.

·
Registered
15,716 Posts
In the Air Tonight
Against All Odds
Land Of Confusion
Mama
You Can't Hurry Love
Invisible Touch
A Groovy Kind of Love
Take Me Home
Another Day in Paradise
One More Night
Easy Lover
Two Hearts
Sussudio
Jesus He Knows Me
That's All
Hold On My Heart
In Too Deep
Follow You, Follow Me
Turn It On Again
Don't Lose My Number
Tonight Tonight Tonight
I Can't Dance
Throwing It All Away
Do You Remember?
Something Happened on the Way to Heaven

^^^ All big hits from the 80s that got a ton of radio play. Phil Collins practically WAS the 80s. Just sayin'

1 - 20 of 30 Posts