Wrestling Forum banner

41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
I know I'm dope, but don't wet that.
10,890 Posts
Wouldn’t say of all time but especially in her era when it wasn’t about match quality as it is today. But Candice Michelle is my pick.

Women today would cry taking a bump like this.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Kane is a great answer. I'll give a curveball answer here with someone that didn't accomplish much in the WWE and going with Albert/Tensai. Guy was mobile as heck for a big guy. Was capable of doing multiple offensive moves and could sell decently for his opponents. He was certainly valued by those in the business as he got chance after chance on air but just could not get over with the WWE crowd.
Albert is a good shout, although Bruce Pritchard said that he was great in the ring but just didnt have the personality to have a run at the top which was the only thing missing.

Christian is a good shout, his IC title run and work around 2004/2005 was very good heel stuff, back then i'm not sure he had the size to be world champion though, i think he may have left by the time Rey got the belt, who i think only really got that run due his friendship with Eddie.

Kane is another one, you look at his accolades and for someone who has been around for so long, he really doesn't have all that much in comparison to others who have spent about half the time in WWE. Especially considering he was an ever present aside from an injury in 02, i can't remember him being on the sidelines for long if at all.

Gail Kim is a hell of a talent as previously mentioned and its a shame how she left WWE the second time around when the womens division was probably at its lowest and perhaps burned bridges, if she hadnt retired she definitely could have come back around 2017 and even just had a couple of years and put on some great matches with the talent on the roster now. Very much a missed opportunity for all parties involved.

·
Lifting weights and eating steaks
17,435 Posts
Bockwinkel.

Should be considered one of the greats. Incredible talker, brilliant in the ring. Ridiculously over. Carried himself like an absolute star and a champion. Almost ahead of his time.

RIP

·
Registered
6,545 Posts
Albert is a good shout, although Bruce Pritchard said that he was great in the ring but just didnt have the personality to have a run at the top which was the only thing missing.
Could have gotten more tag team runs imo. He's the perfect sort of guy to pair with another random guy to make an impact in the tag division. But I guess his value as the generic singles giant for the babyface to overcome was more money for the company.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
As far as "whole package" wrestlers..Bam Bam, Kane, Jake The Snake, Christian. In no particular order. All had fantastic characters, mic skills, in ring ability and charisma.

It's a damn shame they didn't rise higher.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Could have gotten more tag team runs imo. He's the perfect sort of guy to pair with another random guy to make an impact in the tag division. But I guess his value as the generic singles giant for the babyface to overcome was more money for the company.
They didn't use him as that too often though if i recall?

He went from Prince Albert for a short time, to T&A, to XFactor, to the hip hop hippo. After that he had a decent run as A-Train to begin with before being jobbed out most weeks, then returned from Japan as Tensai and started off with a winning run before losing to Cena and ended up dancing with Brodus Clay and jobbing again.

Aside from a short run as Tensai and a short run as A-Train he was never really taken seriously in 10 or so years in WWE.

·
Registered
6,545 Posts
They didn't use him as that too often though if i recall?

He went from Prince Albert for a short time, to T&A, to XFactor, to the hip hop hippo. After that he had a decent run as A-Train to begin with before being jobbed out most weeks, then returned from Japan as Tensai and started off with a winning run before losing to Cena and ended up dancing with Brodus Clay and jobbing again.

Aside from a short run as Tensai and a short run as A-Train he was never really taken seriously in 10 or so years in WWE.
Other than his initial run in a tag team, he ended up in joke tag teams after the single run has run its course. I was thinking more along the lines of being seen as a credible challenger to the titles type of run.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Blitzkrieg only stuck around for a year in WCW 98-99, but the moves he did were insane. I never have seen anything like it. He never received much recognition at the time.

I loved Tajiri, when he came over to WWE in 2001, but the company pretty much buried him in mid-card.

Dynamite Kid was awesome to watch back in the day. Too bad he never had a chance to breakout as a singles star in WWE before his injury.

Watching the Owen Hart episode of Dark Side of the Ring made me look back and appreciate how good he was. Sadly, he never really was elevated into the main event picture during the Attitude Era. Imagine what kind of matches he would have had with Kurt Angle, Eddie Guerrero, Chris Benoit, Edge, Matt Hard and Chris Jericho.

Curt Hennig is the one guy I would have liked to see given a run as World Champion. He was great on the mike, was a lot stronger than given credit for, and was a technical master. The only reason I bothered to watch WCW during the spring/summer 99, is when the West Texas Rednecks came on. It's a shame he was mainly put in a background role in the nWo with Virgil, Stevie Ray, Scott Norton, etc, when he was clearly better than the entire B-team roster combined.

If I had to pick one for the most underrated, I would go with Curt Hennig.

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
Bam Bam Bigelow - could have been the Monster Heel WWE needed in the late 80s and Early 90s. any who saw his match against Lawrence Taylor at Wrestlemania nows how good he was. Just imagine what he could Have done with the likes of Savage, Hogan and even warrior during this time period. Even later on Bigelow could Have made a hugh impact against the likes Of HBK, Razor Ramon and Diesel if back stage Politics had not played a part. He may have even been the guy to get Luger over during this period.

Honourable mentions

Mr Perfect
Rick Rude
Bad News Brown
Dolph Ziggler
Cesaro

·
Registered
264 Posts
It's rare we get underrated themed posts on this sub. To list a few:
Jack Evans
Dakota Kai
Marc Mero (pre injury)
Amazing Red
Candice LeRae

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Hulk Hogan
The most famous wrestler of all time is the most underrated wrestler of all time? That makes zero sense. At best he's underrated by smarks who are bitter because Hogan best their favourites or who demand all wrestlers to be Chris Benoit clones in the ring. But overall, there's no way Hogan is underrated in the business.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
It's Rob Van Dam, the guy became one of the most popular wrestler in freaking history as a midcard heel, carried a whole company by himself, made a shit ton of money despite never being megapushed, this guy would outpop prime Stone Cold back in the AE and nobody would notice it now, swear.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I see a lot of people name Jake Roberts. I respectfully disagree.

He was fantastic at promos, but I think he's massively overrated when it comes to in ring skill. What are the greatest Jake Roberts matches?

I know its not the ultimate truth, but lets take a look at some of Meltzers star ratings for Jake Roberts matches:

Wm 2: 2 stars
Wm 3: 2,5 stars
Wm 4: -2 stars
Summerslam 88: 1,25 stars
Wm 5: -3 stars
Wm 6: 2,5 stars
Summerslam 90: -1 star
Wm 8: 0,75 stars

I might go with The big show.
By far the best giant in wrestling history.

Very underrated on the mic, and extremely athletic for his size, especially in his younger years.
Not the greatest in the ring. But he could pull out a passable to good match now and then.

The fact that he got "Please retire" chants is incredibly disrespectful.
His booking sucked and he turned a billion times. But thats not the talents fault.

·
Registered
3 Posts
If we are talking about accomplishments, in my opinion these guys should achieve more: Christian, Big Show, Sheamus, even Kurt Angle!

But if I can only choose one, definitely it’s Kane.

Long career, awesome character but such unsatisfying bookings...

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Man, there are so many to name. I don’t think you can necessarily list guys that maybe there were underrated, but never got over with the crowd. Guys like Albert fit into this category.

I don’t agree with Jake Roberts either. For as good as he was on the mic, he really wasn’t strong in the ring. He definitely should have had a main event program with Hogan, but I think he went about as far as he should have.

From the current era I think it’s Ziggler. He’s good on the mic, has a good look, and can go in the ring. The HBK homages that he does are definitely weird, but the dude has been massively over several times in his career and has always managed to stay relevant. Sheamus as a heel is impressive, too, but he just has never connected with the audience.

RVD during the Invasion Angle may have been the most over man on the roster. And from 1999-2003 he was always in the top 5 for most popular wrestlers. It took WWE over 4 years to finally give him a legitimate push and sadly he blew it.

They definitely could have done more with Bam Bam, and WWE completely wasted Vader, as well. Kane’s a good answer, too, though. He was given shit after his first Taker feud and yet he still remained very over and menacing through the years.

And tbh, now Bray. He has remained massively over pretty during his entire run, despite being jobbed out time and time again during pretty much all of his important feuds. He keeps reinventing himself, owns his gimmick, and is incredible with his mic and character work, and even now when they give him stupid ass booking, he finds a way to make it work.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Christian
Bam Bam Bigelow
Shelton Benjamin
Mick Foley(just not getting enough recognition for what he did for wrestling as a whole)
Carlito (Cause why not lol)

41 - 60 of 63 Posts