Wrestling Forum banner

21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
The Fastest of the Fastest of Jamaican Sprinters
3,830 Posts
Lol Exactly. The guys brain is completely fried and you can tell he’s got a low IQ.
Just so you know, if you decide to accuse someone of having a "low IQ" when you yourself can't get through the sentence without committing an error, you might want to look in the mirror, ace.

Ricky Steamboat
To a certain extent, I think so. It feels so like SO much of Steamboat's legacy in 2020 is based on the WrestleMania III match that so much of his great stuff, particularly the Flair matches, is almost completely forgotten.

·
Registered
7,561 Posts
You can't really do this all-time. History has had way too many people that are underrated in different environments. And some people were rated for some others and not for others. And history matters too.

Not enough people talk about Ray Stevens today. Is he really underrated though? Hot take: Nick Bockwinkel was possibly even better than Ric Flair. Does anyone talk about that? Is he underrated? There are some people who only think of Andre the Giant as a slow, lumbering, broken down gimmick. Is he underrated? I think "Gigolo" Jimmy Del Ray is the most entertaining wrestler of all-time. Is he underrated? The answer to that last one is definitely "yes."

It might be better to do it by territory or at least promotion:

From WCW, my answer is Eddie Guerrero. The guy was ready to be a star way before anyone realizes in hindsight. He was 30 with 11 years experience in 1996. He always appealed to people. WCW did market research in 1995 and discovered Eddie Guerrero was their most popular wrestler. There was talk about making him WCW World Champion in 1996. This idea that he was a "vanilla midget" that wouldn't have worked in a top spot until 2004 is a myth perpetuated by The Kliq and guys of that ilk protecting their spot. When The Radicalz jumped ship in 2000, they actually took a large chunk of the WCW audience with them, which didn't happen for every move.

From WWF in the New Generation era? I'm tempted to go Jerry Lawler. In 1993, King was the biggest draw they had to go against Bret Hart. He was treated a bit silly and really only had that run on top, but he probably could have done a lot more. I think either him or Owen should have been the WWF Champion instead of Bob Backlund in 1994 to get it onto Diesel. Or Owen managed by King. Something like that. I also think King should have gotten the Lawrence Taylor feud. The SCG Radio guys had the brilliant idea of putting Razor Ramon with LT and having King and Jeff Jarrett go against them. But anyway, Jerry Lawler could have been a heat magnet for a lot longer. I suppose his legal issues got in the way at certain times too.

From the WWF in the Attitude era? There are a few names that pop into head. Going back, Mark Henry was actually pretty funny at times. He and D'Lo Brown would have made great Tag Champs before the Edge & Christian/Hardyz/Dudleyz triangle came along. Taka Michinoku was a bigger draw than Triple H -- I've got evidence and no one can convince me otherwise. The Radicalz jumping ship was a huge moment that I don't think people appreciate as much as they should. But I'm going to go with Mick Foley. Just because I think people overlook just how important he was to scaffolding EVERYONE that meant shit during the period. From Steve Austin when he needed a heel to work with, to The Rock, to revitalizing The Undertaker, to making Triple H. Mick Foley was a better carpenter than Jesus, and I don't think he gets enough credit from the company for that, because the egos of the guys he helped (Taker and Triple H, specifically), are probably a bit too fragile to admit how much they needed him. Like, I'm sure they'd say nice things, but they wouldn't be what they are without him. Foley would have been Foley without them.

And Vince himself. He was just an important heel for them, and I think people overlook that sometimes.

Going into that "Ruthless Aggression" era, I think that the nod has to go to the lost OVW generation as a whole. Doug Basham, Nick Dinsmore, Rob Conway, Damaja, Rico Constantino, Matt Morgan, Chris Masters, Johnny Jeter, etc. They could still be working today in important roles for the company, but they all got royally fucked. Well, Dinsmore got to Eugene for a bit, I guess. Whatever you consider that to be. Brock Lesnar, John Cena, Randy Orton, Batista and Shelton Benjamin (to an extent) ended up fine, but even they could have been better. People forget that Orton lost his footing until about 2007. Shelton was never the top guy he could have been. Just...argh. Maybe they all wouldn't have worked out, but it's that they didn't even fucking try.

I'll also give a shout-out to Paul London. I loved that guy. He got signed way before the WWE were really going around getting indy talent. He was the darling of the internet. He probably got picked up too soon, too immature, and it seems to have taken a real fucking toll on the guy. I wonder how different things could have been if he got picked up in the NXT era and they actually gave him a chance to develop a personality, a promo, his gimmick, etc.

For women's wrestling? People do not give enough big time credit to the WWF's mainstream appeal to the Brawl to End It All. I think history has also sort of brushed over how important Gail Kim was to pulling women's wrestling back from its Moolah hangover. She was talented, hot, got mad enough to got TNA and have a division built around her. And that really started this modern wave. Ronda Rousey's UFC success is obviously important, as was Trish getting as over and as good as she did, but eh. Gail Kim just feels like she deserves a mention. AEW really should have plucked her from TNA and given her and Tessa Blanchard a shot at anchoring a division in front of way more people than TNA would allow.

But yeah, there are lots of qualifiers to consider.

·
3,830 Posts
so what are you a grammar nazi? My grammar was actually pretty decent in that sentence but regardless this is a damn wrestling forum, not a thesis paper. And you might want to check yourself “ace”. Watch the run on sentences and sentence structure, fascist boy.
You’re the one who decided to criticize someone else’s intelligence when you are clearly, definitely not in a position to do so. Go back into your hole, kid. You’re out of your element.

·
3,830 Posts
lol what’s wrong champ did you get hit in the head 1 too many times in your fake “mma career”? Stop projecting your own insecurities on me, it’s not my fault that you’re old and your wife and kids won’t let you watch wrestling on weekdays!
This is high in the running for one of the most incoherent, weird posts on the forum this year. I really wish we could just ban these people.

·
Premium Member
3,490 Posts
From WWF in the New Generation era? I'm tempted to go Jerry Lawler. In 1993, King was the biggest draw they had to go against Bret Hart. He was treated a bit silly and really only had that run on top, but he probably could have done a lot more. I think either him or Owen should have been the WWF Champion instead of Bob Backlund in 1994 to get it onto Diesel. Or Owen managed by King. Something like that. I also think King should have gotten the Lawrence Taylor feud. The SCG Radio guys had the brilliant idea of putting Razor Ramon with LT and having King and Jeff Jarrett go against them. But anyway, Jerry Lawler could have been a heat magnet for a lot longer. I suppose his legal issues got in the way at certain times too.

For women's wrestling? People do not give enough big time credit to the WWF's mainstream appeal to the Brawl to End It All. I think history has also sort of brushed over how important Gail Kim was to pulling women's wrestling back from its Moolah hangover. She was talented, hot, got mad enough to got TNA and have a division built around her. And that really started this modern wave. Ronda Rousey's UFC success is obviously important, as was Trish getting as over and as good as she did, but eh. Gail Kim just feels like she deserves a mention. AEW really should have plucked her from TNA and given her and Tessa Blanchard a shot at anchoring a division in front of way more people than TNA would allow.

But yeah, there are lots of qualifiers to consider.
I was not watching live at the time but it has always shocked me how they did not use Lawler well when he first came to the WWF. He was a way to get a lot of southern fans away from WCW and he had such a long history of being over and having national exposure with the Andy Kaufman angle. He definitely deserved a run as champ even if it was to get someone like Bret more over.

I also definitely agree with Gail Kim. If she came along 10-15 years later than she did she would probably have an award named after her when she retired. Such a shame, but she still had a great career it was just not what it could have or should have been.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Roman Reigns. Strong, athletic and moves faster than any 6 foot 3 250 pound guy has any right to. also a lot of natural charisma and presence.

P.s. LOL at the salt on this thread. How the fuck do grown men get so worked up talking about which fake fighter they think is better :LOL:

·
Premium Member
3,490 Posts
yes ban everyone who is more knowledgeable than you. The typical response from a coward like you. Face it, I outclassed you on every talking point bro. you’re nothing more than a troll on here and youre a mark when it comes to wrestling. Show some class
Some of us prefer not to have our heads hurt attempting to read incoherent posts lacking in grammar. It is just common courtesy.

·
3,830 Posts
yes ban everyone who is more knowledgeable than you. The typical response from a coward like you. Face it, I outclassed you on every talking point bro. you’re nothing more than a troll on here and youre a mark when it comes to wrestling. Show some class
You’ll be banned soon. Good time.

·
Premium Member
3,490 Posts
Oh hey Brock so you decided to log in to your throwaway account? Troll harder bro. The insecurity is strong in you. Get yourself some help
I have been here six years. Good to know your reading skills are on par with your writing skills.

·
Premium Member
3,490 Posts
i wrote a thesis bro. I guarantee I have a higher level of education than you will ever achieve. Behave yourself if you ever want me to hire you one day. I spend more on cars than you make in a year. And it’s not my fault that you have zero reading comprehension and can’t understand a basic sentence
Enjoy your toy cars in daycare kid.

·
Registered
847 Posts
I would say Bam Bam Bigelow. I always felt he could’ve been a consistent main eventer if used correctly. Also I would say Barry Windham especially in the 80s. Guy could cut promos and his matches were always great.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Definitely not DB bro, sorry, had to say it lol.
I'm a fan of parts of his career tho.

Inviato dal mio SM-A405FN utilizzando Tapatalk

·
Registered
322 Posts
The answer is Christian. The guy had so much talent, charisma and skills, and was never utilized to this maximum potential. He absolutely could have been the best chicken-shit heel of all time, just look at his midcard work in mid 00's, he just needed that transition to main event stardom, that Vince refused to give. It's such a shame that because of Vince's stubborness he never reached the main event. Even Christian's very brief WHC reigns happened only because Edge got injured (and he still produced gold during that feud with Orton). The fact is that Vince's must have some sort of imaginary problem with him, seeing as he literally took the title off him 2 days after his victory (imagine if it happened to Kofi, cause it's the same tale of beloved veteran getting his due) and he still is not in the HoF for some reason. At least TNA treated him accordingly.

·
Registered
6,545 Posts
Kane is a great answer. I'll give a curveball answer here with someone that didn't accomplish much in the WWE and going with Albert/Tensai. Guy was mobile as heck for a big guy. Was capable of doing multiple offensive moves and could sell decently for his opponents. He was certainly valued by those in the business as he got chance after chance on air but just could not get over with the WWE crowd.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Someone else who comes to mind would be R-Truth. He is entertaining no matter what and never gets stale. Even as a heel he was brilliant and got genuine heat. Feel like he could’ve been world champ if he was 10 years younger.

·
3,830 Posts
Someone else who comes to mind would be R-Truth. He is entertaining no matter what and never gets stale. Even as a heel he was brilliant and got genuine heat. Feel like he could’ve been world champ if he was 10 years younger.
^This is a sneaky good answer. Truth isn't my favorite, but it's hard to pin down exactly what he doesn't do well. He's charismatic, strong on the mic, can play funny or serious, face or heel, is good enough in the ring to get by, is usually over with the crowd, is reliable, and rarely gets injured. Honestly, he probably should have been better treated than he has been.

·
it's a tarp!
4,940 Posts
Zeus.

No training and he main-evented against Hulk Hogan to a sell-out crowd.

He perfected the feel no pain, monster, maybe even more so than The Undertaker, and again without any training.

With training and the right push he could have main-event a Wrestlemania, and sold-out arenas across the country. Instead he is largely dismissed from wrestling history.

21 - 40 of 63 Posts