Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’d probably go with Kane. Feel like he could’ve been on a similar to level as Undertaker but they never booked him that way. He should’ve held the title for more than a day in the AE, his 2003 unmasking was really good and he should’ve became the top heel, and he was one of the only good parts of 2010. I think his later years have kind of diminished his legacy, but the early version of Kane was definitely undervalued and underrated to me.

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
Kane is my favourite wrestler. Most people won't agree with you, though. There are so many underrated wrestlers, people whose talent was totally wasted by WWE, that they will say that at least Kane had a lengthy career with a lot of accolades.

What makes me sad about Kane is how horrible is booking was. He was red hot so many times through his career. I remember him getting better reactions than the ones any current full time wrestler would get, and not only before unmasking. I like that he's a selfless dude who never doubted on letting promising people take the win. But WWE put him on terrible storylines and wasted his credibility and he ended being nearly irrelevant. So sad for a guy who, in my opinion, has one of the best gimmicks WWE has created.

·
The Babyface of WF
11,671 Posts
Kane is undervalued more than underrated he won a World Title the following year after his debut and was featured mostly as an Upper Midcard talent during his heyday so he was already a successful feature of the show until he got older and became Knox County Mayor, Christian is the definition of underrated since they barely gave him a chance outside of Edge's retirement favoring his spot at a World Champion but he deserves much better, He got on and off Midcard spots one moment he's doing well next he's Jobbing or playing filler.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Christian could have been a respectable main eventer for more of his career. I heard Vince didn't value him enough because he didn't like his face.

·
Registered
3,594 Posts
Bret Hart.

Today’s fans generally rank him a lot lower than where he really was at the time.

They recently described John Cena as the Babe Ruth of WWE, which is a label last applies to Bret until the screwjob happened and his place in history was devalued retroactively.

Bret was equal to Cena in starpower while getting cheered as a beloved pure babyface for most of his run. It’s hard to imagine that happening now.

·
Currently booking tonight’s card...
2,061 Posts
I think Kane is a great mention for this question. As many have stated, he was way over at various times and WWE could have capitalized on it.

He still had a good run overall, but there could have been more for him.

I’ll say Ken Shamrock could have been given a bit more in 1998. He was a great performer and it seems as though to me he was basically booked in the mid card for most of his time with WWE. If this guy came along in today’s times, he’d be given a top spot similar to the way they book Lesner.

Now with Shamrocks last 6-8 months with WWE... I understand why he feel into oblivion... he had already set his focus on a ultimate fighting return and most seemed to know it.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Lol Exactly. The guys brain is completely fried and you can tell he’s got a low IQ. Losers will be quick to blame others but never take a look in the mirror. Jake will criticize Bret, Vince, HBK and Savage but what has Jake ever done? The actual snake was a bigger draw than Jake. It makes no sense when ppl say Jake was underrated. There’s a reason why he never won a belt
Jake is one of the best talkers of all time. In an era where everyone was yelling in their promos, Jake talked calmly. His promos were always dark and engaging. His DDT was really over and was a master of psychology. It's not his fault he wasn't a main eventer. One time he did a segment with Hogan where he DDTed him, and the fans were chanting for Jake, not Hogan. Vince didn't want anything to interfere with Hogan's popularity so he decided Jake and Hogan could never wrestle each other after that. And back then if you couldn't wrestle Hogan, it was really hard to be Champion because Hogan was usually in the top storyline.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
There are a few names that immediately come to mind but I have to think further on them because while you could consider them underrated, they also need to cover all the bases and still bear that mark. There's a lot of guys that were/are underrated but don't really qualify as "most".

The Million Dollar Man Ted DiBiase was a great all-around performer, but also an impressive matworker and you wouldn't immediately realize that if you just watched his latter-day WWF work. He could really do it all, if his character would let him. I think he was every bit as good of a worker as Flair or those who could walk their talk, and could have held a lot more titles than he got, but he was in an era where he was to put over a lot of musclemen at the end of the day and you had to be careful not looking like you could easily outwork those guys.

As for underrated females? It's got to be Velvet McIntyre, who I thought would have been an excellent replacement to Wendi Richter in the R&W era. She was one of the better workers of that WWF era that wasn't too old or too green.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts