Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Gimmick wrestlers are pretty much always the laughing stock of wrestling these days (When I say Gimmick wrestler I mean silly ring attire and/or backstories: Shockmaster, Phantasio, etc.). Any that are introduced are usually not taken seriously immediately and fade into obscurity, that or they adapt a new simpler persona.

Are there any that stick out as being more successful than the rest? Actually being accepted by the wrestling community for an extended period of time??

The ones that stick out to me right now are Goldust, and when you really think about it, The Undertaker, who probably is the poster-boy of Gimmick Wrestlers.

Who else?

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
The Undertaker, dur, also I would say Black Machismo Jay Lethal or Shark Boy as they were big for a time, nobody really hated them until they were played out and people still love Shark Boy for some odd reason.

Also, The Hurricane was big for a good amount of time, his mask sold like Gangbusters.

·
Registered
21,591 Posts
As far as gimmicks go, the most succesful ones in WWE right now are Undertaker and Rey Mysterio. Rey has that lucha gimmick, Taker's gimmick is obvious.

·
The One Who Knocks
5,341 Posts
How about Mick Foley? Granted, by the time he reached major success in 1999 he was basically playing himself, but before that he was doing three gimmicks at the same time.

·
Best In The World
4,752 Posts
undertaker is the most obv

and goldust was sucessful at one stage, he was in the top 3 heels at one stage in 96

·
Registered
636 Posts
Undertaker puts and end to this thread. I mean look at his career, and to think someone (I think Rick Flair?) thought it was a stupid gimmick that would never get off the ground, and look at him now

1 - 20 of 21 Posts