Wrestling Forum banner

121 - 133 of 133 Posts

·
NBA
2,607 Posts
Arnold Shwarzenegger was never going to win an Oscar, but he had so much charisma and presence that it didn't matter. He was the go-to guy for over-the-top action movies and crazy comedies.

Try casting Tom Hanks in The Predator or The Terminator and see what happens, lol
Not disagreeing with you on the Arnie thing but, you could've used another actor instead of Hanks as an opposite example. I say this because he was, alongside Arnie himself and other guys like L. Jackson, Bruce Willis and Tom Cruise, one of the if not the most famous actor during the 90s. In fact, I think he was one of the top 2 box office draws of the decade.

Someone like Daniel Day Lewis, Dustin Hoffman or Gabriel Byrne would've made for a more apt comparison.

Btw, I'd dare argue doing too many wild comedies hurt Arnie's brand to a small extent. He was super big in the late 80s to mid 90s, then he started doing more silly movies in a row like Junior, Jingle All the Way and Batman & Robin and he wasn't the same after that. He was still a big deal, but it wasn't the same.

·
Registered
12,682 Posts
The word "overrated" seems to be getting misused. Goldberg, for instance. No one I've ever seen rates him high on promos. Has it ever said anything memorable in a promo other than "Who's Next?" Hardly any of his matches are held in high esteem, his best true matches were probably in WCW when he was younger and more willing to put on longer matches against top stars [DDP at Halloween Havoc tends to get a good review from many]. But hardly anyone rates Goldberg high on ring abilities either. Pretty much all of acclaim comes from his presence, which is rated about right, and his ring entrance which was definitely uniquely put together.

People like Hogan and Ultimate Warrior are much the same way. They rarely get overrated in any category they were weak at.

·
Registered
7,685 Posts
Overrated: Triple H and The Undertaker. If we're talking about WWF/E. I'll also throw out Chief Jay Strongbow and Bob Backlund.

Undervalued: Buddy Rogers for being the inaugural WWWF Champion. You don't hear much about him. It's all Bruno. Mick Foley in the Attitude era for helping EVERYBODY get over. I like that Christian got a shout, but I can't really go with that seriously. I will say that Diesel and Shawn Michaels, as much as both were pricks -- and I'm no Kevin Nash fan -- kind of get the reputation of being failed champions. Nash actually got good ratings as champ, while HBK drew good houses. If they could have been one wrestler in 1995/1996, they would have been amazing. Or absolutely terrible.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Overrated: Dean Malenko. Yes he was technically very talented but his matches were bore-fest with long rest holds and slow pace. If I wanted to watch amateur wrestling, I'd watch it. I don't watch pro-wrestling to see 30 minutes of rest holds, I watch it to see a story told in the ring. Also, Malenko's matches looked a lot like midget wrestling.

121 - 133 of 133 Posts