Wrestling Forum banner

101 - 120 of 133 Posts

·
None. More. Hated.
5,739 Posts
Wrestling ability may not draw, but why do you care? You're not a promoter, so why do you care about ratings & profit? Do you actually prefer Goldberg matches to HBK or Hart?
I already went over this lol. And Goldberg has had plenty of bangers with DDP, Jericho, Hall, Sting, Steiner (Which is widely considered one of the best big man fights in the companys history, even Meltzer loved it. Gave it 4.25. Look it up. )etc. Hes no wrestling savant but give him a good dance partner and hes always held his own and then some. Nothing wrong with that. You can shit on him all you want but its not like WCW had a huge boatload of great workers to pair him up with. He got Hennig way past his prime, Big Show who was about as green as him, Hogan, who, ya know, Nash, who, ya know, Luger..(Oh God.) By the time he came back in late 1999 WCW was in the Russo era where no one was having "good wrestling matches". Even Lance Storm looked like shit half the time. Its not like he had a prime WWF attitude roster of workers to go with. You as an Omega fan should get this situation pretty well considering some of the clunkers hes had in AEW when all of a sudden he aint working G1s and guys Okada, Ibushi, Naito, White, Tana, Ishii, etc.

You're asking two totally different questions. If im bored in 30 minutes and want to watch a really good wrestling match, then sure, Ill watch a Bret Hart or Shawn Michaels match. If we're just talking about business philosophy then absolutely Goldberg was top tier in the history of the business.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Underrated -Akeem The African Dream,Cactus Jack,The Goodfather,Prince Puma
Overrated-One Man Gang,Mick Foley,The Godfather,Ricochet

·
Registered
79 Posts
I've decided to weigh in, since I've had time to really think about it.

Underrated:

Dean Malenko: I'm not even talking about his in-ring performances. I think people forget just HOW over Malenko was in WCW. Should he have won the WCW Championship? No. But he was arguably the star of that Cruiserweight division (and should've had more than a single, brief run with the U.S. Title).

Kevin Nash: This one may be a stretch. But I feel, even in hindsight, that Nash still doesn't get the props he deserves. People always point to his WWE run as proof that he wasn't a star. In WCW, however, he absolutely was a star, and the person who MADE the nWo (not Hogan).

Overrated:

This one is tricky, as I think there are two ways for someone to be overrated: in terms of career achievement, and in terms of talent).

In terms of career achievement, I think Jericho is overrated (please hear me out). Jericho is undeniably one of the most talented performers, in the history of the business (and has amassed plenty of accolades, to boot). However, I feel like his entire WWE career, from 2002 onwards, was a huge disservice to his legacy and talent. I don't care how many world titles he's won since then, he was more iconic in all the years that he wasn't a world champ than after. The character he portrays in AEW was long overdue, and it boggles me how he never had that kind of run in WWE.

In terms of talent, I gotta go with Hogan. People will have you believe that he was a self-made star. But so many guys from that era could've been just as huge, with the insane amount of marketing and promotion (and mainstream access) that was put into Hogan. Hogan was lucky enough to be at the right place, at the right time, and essentially be handed a role than so many others could easily filled.

I also gotta mention Triple H here. People give Orton (sometimes even Edge) flack for having a bunch of empty accolades. Yet Trips, in my opinion, has an even more forgettable career (in spite of all of his accolades). The most memorable (and remarked) things in his career has been...

1. Getting outshined by a heel Rock, in the midst of his first face run. Then proceeding to impede Rock's run as top guy (while Austin was out).

2. Irreparably cutting Orton's meteoric rise (in 2004) short, thus continuing a reign of terror that enabled SmackDown to surpass Raw in quality.

3. His stuff with Shawn Michaels.

The Rock, Stone Cold, and Brock Lesnar have all had more iconic careers, with significantly less time, than Triple H has.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
I'll do aew edition if I may allowed..

Underrated Sammy Guevarra

Ok Darby Allin

Overrated MJF, he has that look that may have difficulty going to the next level,next big heel yes next big megastar? No..

·
Registered
588 Posts
These days though... I'll say over-rated= Roman Reigns. And that could be said about the company over-rating him or even the fans lol. The mix of his weak booking, promo delivery and shitty move set is my issue with him. If given a better gimmick where he's not booked as some tough guy cornball and actually bearable to watch in a match, you know maybe I'd root for him. Under valued= Heath Slater definitely was undervalued big time as was Rusev, but I don't know if them two would be considered the most under-valued. On the current roster though I'd say Elias, Cesaro and even Shelton Benjamin if he's still employed with the company. Cesaro's ring work is phenomenal, as is Shelton Benjamins. If they could push guys like Benoit and Lesnar, (guys that weren't seen as guys with strong mic skills) they could've pushed them two.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Wwe edition

Overrated aleister black
Underrated apollo crews

Pitied wrestler from overrated ricochet, got maven treatment by vince

·
Registered
191 Posts
Kevin Nash (Underrated) :
Really smart mind for the business and a guy who doesn’t get enough credit for the contributions he gave in revolutionizing the industry in the late 90s. Yes Hogan’s turn undoubtedly was the trigger but the details for that run were all Nash and Hall (Sullivan too). They brought the 90s to WCW in a time where it was still stuck in the 80s style. He gets a bad rep for ending the streak as well as the finger poke, but let’s keep in mind Nash was over as roof going into Starrcade 98 and unlike Goldberg, wasn’t getting booed constantly in the East Cost area. The Wolfpac was red hot in the midst of the two factions feuding, and him ending it has its justified reasons. I personally appreciate his honesty, he doesn’t claim that he was the best worker but he recognizes the fact that it’s a “business” and that making money is the priority, in which more wrestlers having that mindset makes it more entertaining. Call him lazy all you want but - he along with others - shook wrestling forever.

Ultimate Warrior (Underrated) :
Another guy that gets a bad rep because he was very successful in a short time span and without jumping off the ropes or having a 30 minute chain wrestling match. Crazy intense dude with an absolute gold gimmick (for its time), the only guy available that rivaled Hogan in popularity within the roster. People within wrestling shit on him endlessly but when you take in their accounts along with the end product it doesn’t hold up. His WCW run was a prime example.. the next Nitro after Halloween Havoc he got an INSANE pop, when he was cutting his promo literally everyone on their crowd were on their feet, and when he tackled Hogan the place exploded. Also that promo he cut was fine for the product at the time, it wasn’t your typical Warrior WWF promos with the stars and planets and whatnot, it was actually a sensible (and intense) promo that complimented WCW’s style. His backstage heat is what shot the run in its foot, not the quality itself. This guy gets shit on without any recognition for his contributions and his massive fanbase in wrestling, no one talks about how crossover and mainstream his gimmick was. He might’ve been someone who stirs heat in real life but he created something that made a gigantic impact.

CM Punk (Overrated) :
Not what his stans make him out to be, not at all..

·
Registered
413 Posts
Wrestling ability may not draw, but why do you care? You're not a promoter, so why do you care about ratings & profit? Do you actually prefer Goldberg matches to HBK or Hart?
What good is a match if no one was around to see it live?

Those wrestling fans of that age group experienced Goldberg's meteoric rise first hand. Everyone remembers where they were when he beat Hogan for the title. It's probably one of the 5 most memorable nights of the entire monday night wars era.

When you talk about the best matches of Bret and Shawn... whether it's their iron man match... or Shawn's HIAC match with Taker... or Bret's match with Austin at WM13... most fans had no choice but to experience those matches in retrospect.

Because no one was watching!

·
Registered
191 Posts
It’s a measurement of who entertains/appeals more to the fans .. has everything to do with quality, not quantity.
In most cases, bigger draw = better entertainer

To be clear I’m talking about the theory itself, but in fairness.. marketing, timing, and booking all factor in heavily in this discussion so it’s not a clear-cut measurement.

·
Registered
15,534 Posts
In terms of talent, I gotta go with Hogan. People will have you believe that he was a self-made star. But so many guys from that era could've been just as huge, with the insane amount of marketing and promotion (and mainstream access) that was put into Hogan. Hogan was lucky enough to be at the right place, at the right time, and essentially be handed a role than so many others could easily filled.

Name me one guy that could've filled the Hogan role at that time and done as good a job (if not better)

Only guy that came anywhere close was Savage, then Warrior. Who else? Tom Magee?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Name me one guy that could've filled the Hogan role at that time and done as good a job (if not better)

Only guy that came anywhere close was Savage, then Warrior. Who else? Tom Magee?
Aside from the two you mentioned (Savage and Warrior), Steamboat and Piper ABSOLUTELY could've reached that same level during the 80s. Jake Roberts, albeit to a probably lesser extent, is another person that came to mind. That's 4 or 5 guys off the top of head, who were in WWE around the same time.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I agree with Christian being underrated and even though he had a pretty good career they never got behind him as a main eventer. They gave him the title as a thank you to Edge and then took it off him a couple of days later and gave it to Orton who was already a well established superstar and really didn’t need it and i know a lot of people like Orton but i find him incredibly dull and boring and undeserving of the career he has had.

·
Registered
15,534 Posts
Aside from the two you mentioned (Savage and Warrior), Steamboat and Piper ABSOLUTELY could've reached that same level during the 80s. Jake Roberts, albeit to a probably lesser extent, is another person that came to mind. That's 4 or 5 guys off the top of head, who were in WWE around the same time.
Steamboat lacked the larger-than-life aura, size and outrageously intense promo style that Hogan did. There's no way that the WWF would've pulled off the All-American Superhero with Steamboat. Steamboat wasn't Bruce Lee, he was a very good in-ring wrestler with an underdog appeal, but I can't imagine them building a promotion around him as their top headliner and taking their stock to the next level. He was an NWA/WCW headliner and that certainly didn't change their fortunes

Snake lacked the look to fill that role, as over as he was at one point in time. His promo style, while great in a "brilliant serial killer" kinda way, wasn't near that of a Hogan, Savage and Warrior in terms of wild charisma.

Piper I will give to you, he might've done very well as a top babyface headliner. He didn't have the same look that Hogan did, but checked all of the other boxes and had the right kind of charisma for kids to get behind. He was more effective as a heel, though

The list looks pretty thin to me, and I don't think that anyone of those mentioned would've went further than Hogan, or even matched his level of impact regardless of how much the machine was behind them.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Steamboat lacked the larger-than-life aura, size and outrageously intense promo style that Hogan did. There's no way that the WWF would've pulled off the All-American Superhero with Steamboat. Steamboat wasn't Bruce Lee, he was a very good in-ring wrestler with an underdog appeal, but I can't imagine them building a promotion around him as their top headliner and taking their stock to the next level. He was an NWA/WCW headliner and that certainly didn't change their fortunes
I can respect your perspective on the matter. I was barely alive during those times, so I can only speak in retrospect. I still think Steamboat had IT, though. He just needed a promotion with the necessary capital and connections to put him over. I appreciate your take, though.

·
it's a tarp!
4,955 Posts
I still think Steamboat had IT, though. He just needed a promotion with the necessary capital and connections to put him over. I appreciate your take, though.
Like X-Pac was spinning heel kick after spinning heel kick, Ricky was arm drag after arm drag.

It was simply not enough to be convincing against the monsters which made up the WWF landscape at that time.

·
Registered
191 Posts
No they couldn’t.. Piper was short and goofy-looking in contrast, and Jake let’s face it was a big-time addict.. plus his strong suit was being a heel, he wasn’t gonna be someone telling you to say prayers and take your vitamins while hulking up.

Hogan was born to be that role, the stache, the build, the look, the promos, the poses and showboating during the matches, no one could’ve played the 80s American hero like him. Don’t kid yourself, Hulk’s intense promos were something else that fueled every gym-rat in the US during the coke-filled 1980s. He was wrestling’s Arnold/Sly.
Right place and right time my ass, you can’t book charisma, the guy was money.
Billy Graham was doing that gimmick before Hogan and he certainly wasn’t nearly as charming to America as Hulk was.

101 - 120 of 133 Posts