Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do people think they most over rated wrestlers are in history obvious answer hulk hogan. Here's my list
Most over rated
1. Goldberg (great look terrible wrestler)
2. Alberto del Rio (like watching paint dry)
3. Jeff Jarrett ( who cares )
Most under valued
1. Sabu ( so far ahead of his time and innovative)
2. 2 cold Scorpio ( never got to fulfil his potential on main stage)
3. Jerry lynn ( never seen a bad match)

·
SmarkSlammer
86 Posts
What do people think they most over rated wrestlers are in history obvious answer hulk hogan. Here's my list
Most over rated
1. Goldberg (great look terrible wrestler)
2. Alberto del Rio (like watching paint dry)
3. Jeff Jarrett ( who cares )
Most under valued
1. Sabu ( so far ahead of his time and innovative)
2. 2 cold Scorpio ( never got to fulfil his potential on main stage)
3. Jerry lynn ( never seen a bad match)
The funny thing is Goldberg got over with his matches and matches alone. He wasn't a promo guy. He was entertaining in the ring to the point at which his character didn't need to talk. In a way, doesn't that make him somewhat good in the ring if he got his moves super over? The whole purpose of a match is to entertain a crowd and he did just that.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Most overrated: Goldberg, Hulk Hogan, Brock Lesnar, Randy Orton

Most under valued: Christian

I can't really say anybody else in WWE history was under valued besides Christian. Vince usually gets it right with pushing the correct wrestlers.

I can't really say anybody else in WWE history was under valued besides Christian. Vince usually gets it right with pushing the correct wrestlers.

Christian didn't have a bad run held many belts and had solid career. Under valued yes but not most under valued in my eyes
The funny thing is Goldberg got over with his matches and matches alone. He wasn't a promo guy. He was entertaining in the ring to the point at which his character didn't need to talk. In a way, doesn't that make him somewhat good in the ring if he got his moves super over? The whole purpose of a match is to entertain a crowd and he did just that.
Right place right time right look no skill in my opinion just luck. He obvs got over big with squashing people but I just never bought into it.

·
SmarkSlammer
86 Posts
Christian didn't have a bad run held many belts and had solid career. Under valued yes but not most under valued in my eyes

Right place right time right look no skill in my opinion just luck. He obvs got over big with squashing people but I just never bought into it.
I mean there were loads of squash matches back then and loads of guys who were big and had muscle. Why was Goldberg so successful? His schtick still worked in the modern day look at how crazy the crowds went for him in his matches with Brock in 2016-2017.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
He was their stone cold he was and is a massive star. Wrestling is selective and just not for me that's all. I just think a wrestler should know how to work a proper match aswell. Wcw did an amazing job in making him a superstar though. Hiding his weaknesses.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I mean there were loads of squash matches back then and loads of guys who were big and had muscle. Why was Goldberg so successful? His schtick still worked in the modern day look at how crazy the crowds went for him in his matches with Brock in 2016-2017.
It's not even worth debating. Goldberg haters can't/refuse to see through their ridiculous bias towards him to accept that he was extremely unique and had a number of top tier redeeming qualities.

As you say, you don't get as over as he did with zero promo work when all it is is "right place, right time". That's an absolute crock of shit.

He had arguably the best look in professional wrestling history, unteachable levels of intensity and charisma, unbelievable strength and power, and did big, impressive power moves with more explosiveness than anyone ever has. And that's without mentioning his theme and entrance.

·
None. More. Hated.
5,797 Posts
How is Goldberg overrated lmao? The goal of a wrestling business is to make money and put butts in seats. Its not to have some 30 minute move fest to impress Meltzer. The fact most people have forgotten that is why the business is in the shit its in.

Yet you underrate Jerry Lynn. Lol. Dude was right where he should have been. Good worker, dog shit look and mic skills and charisma that you use to put an actual star over. Like Goldberg.

·
Premium Member
3,626 Posts
Overrated: Cena, Young Bucks, Ultimate Warrior, Ricochet.

Undervalued: Booker T, Shelton Benjamin, Bam Bam Bigelow, William Regal, Lance Storm.

How is Goldberg overrated lmao? The goal of a wrestling business is to make money and put butts in seats. Its not to have some 30 minute move fest to impress Meltzer. The fact most people have forgotten that is why the business is in the shit its in.

Yet you underrate Jerry Lynn. Lol. Dude was right where he should have been. Good worker, dog shit look and mic skills and charisma that you use to put an actual star over. Like Goldberg.
I was lucky enough to see Goldberg live twice back in the Nitro days including the Georgia Dome. The place absolutely exploded when his music hit.

·
None. More. Hated.
5,797 Posts
I was lucky enough to see Goldberg live twice back in the Nitro days including the Georgia Dome. The place absolutely exploded when his music hit.
Nah man hes overrated. Forget putting 40k people in a dome on 3 days notice. He didnt do enough holds for me and Meltzer said his matches were duds. Definitely should have been Jerry Lynn in that spot.

·
Registered
758 Posts
I never got the love for ric flair or cm punk personally. They werent bad by any means but dont get the love especially in flairs case as greatest ever.

Underrated for me was marty jannetty, i know he fucked up his own career with his demons but i think people underate his ability cos of what shawn achieved. When rockers were together i always preferred him

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Jeez why people get so butt hurt about someone opinion if they don't like their selective wrestler :'). Like said wrestling is selective. Goldberg is the first to admit he still green if you've seen the broken skull sessions he admits it. Goldberg was a massive attraction never doubted that. I just think he over rated with limited wrestling ability. That's all he had a great look and got booked like a monster which drew which is the most important thing in the business but in my opinion that gets boring after awhile. obviously not yours and alot of people.

·
SmarkSlammer
86 Posts
Underrated:Booker T. The guy should've had more than one title reign in his WWE tenure. He was successful as a heel and a face, he has the look of a star, he's entertaining on the ring, he's gold on the mic and he oozes charisma. The guy was the full package and I feel like they could've done a lot more with him.

Overrated: Randy Orton. He failed in his first world title push by his own admission even and they waited 3 more years to get the belt again. The way I see it is this. Cena got super over enough to warrant his booking. Orton failed when they gave him it all in 2004 and he never had top guy popularity to organically get the ridiculously stacked resume he has.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Inappropriate post referencing autism
Overrated. Shinsuke Nakamura. literally don't get the appeal. His offence looks fake when he's not kneeing people in the face for real, he sells like he's dead the first move he takes then miraculously recovers out of nowhere.

plus his whole persona makes me cringe and reminds me of an autistic Otaku trying to be cool

·
None. More. Hated.
5,797 Posts
Jeez why people get so butt hurt about someone opinion if they don't like their selective wrestler :'). Like said wrestling is selective. Goldberg is the first to admit he still green if you've seen the broken skull sessions he admits it. Goldberg was a massive attraction never doubted that. I just think he over rated with limited wrestling ability. That's all he had a great look and got booked like a monster which drew which is the most important thing in the business but in my opinion that gets boring after awhile. obviously not yours and alot of people.
Why does "wrestling ability " matter? Whats that even mean? What was Conor Mcgregors "boxing ability"? How much money did the Mayweather PPV draw? Again, the point is to make money. Not to be a "great wrestler ". Ive watched Al Snow give seminars to young wrestlers and he always asks the same question. 'What was the best match at WM 3?" And they always answer "Savage vs. Steamboat " in unison. And he always pops up and says "No! The best match was Hogan vs. Andre because 93,000 people paid to see it you dumbshits!" By the way, what was Andres "wrestling ability". Its not picking on you personally, its picking on the philosophy that someone has to have ultra "workrate" to be on top. Thats harmful to the industry as a whole. You dont have to believe me, just look at the ratings.

1 - 20 of 133 Posts